Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,371 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:58 PM

Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly (836 Views)

Meet The Youngest Wife Of Alaafin Of Oyo, She’s Extremely Beautiful! / Escape Of Kabiru Sokoto: Zakari Biu Dismissed From Nigeria Police Force / New Nigeria Police Force Uniforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by davidif: 5:56am On Dec 11, 2007
Can you believe this? The police killed 7,198 nigerians in five years.

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1605

I know this people were PROBABLY (keyword being probably) criminals, but we have a judicial system people and no human deserves to just die like that. What if you had a cousin or brother who was just indiscriminately detained (kidnapped is the right word) simply because he was in the vicinity of the crime and they didn't have an attorney assigned to him. Where is the district attorney or whatever they call them in naija. This is gross miscarriage of justice. In the mordern world, one is innocent UNTIL PROVEN BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.
I recently read an article in the BBC not long ago about around 750 suspects (SUSPECTS) being killed since the beginning of the year alone.
This guys were not even convicted yet. What a shame. The funny thing is that if the govts could provide this guys with jobs they wouldn't be doing this but this is another topic for another day.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by babasin(m): 9:21am On Dec 11, 2007
thats why you should always keep some 'change' for the Police when you are in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by Mamajama(m): 6:29pm On Dec 11, 2007
People lets be careful how we interprete what we read in the paper. How do they know that 7,198 were killed?

Do we have a database with all the data that we can validate this statement?

Where are they getting this figure from?

district attorney davidif you don over stay for USA.

have you seen what the judicial system in Nigeria look like?
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by Kobojunkie: 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2007
Mamajama:

People lets be careful how we interprete what we read in the paper. How do they know that 7,198 were killed?

Do we have a database with all the data that we can validate this statement?

Where are they getting this figure from?

district attorney davidif you don over stay for USA.

have you seen what the judicial system in Nigeria look like?

LMAO!!!
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by BigB11(m): 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2007
@MAMAJAMA: here is a sample of incompetent and inaccurate Ehidero's database:

Mr. Balogun’s successor as Inspector-General of Police, Sunday Ehindero, however, claimed in July 2006 that the police killed only 2,402 during the same period.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=97514
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by Kobojunkie: 8:20pm On Dec 11, 2007
I have to say that the numbers do not seem to be beyond what the Nigerian police could do. I mean we are speaking of the whole police force policing a nation of over 140 million people. An Estimate of about 1439 people killed does not seem implausible, I do question how close it is to the actual numbers.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by iykrion(m): 2:01am On Dec 13, 2007
@ topic,
If Ehindero as an Inspector General of Police could heartlessly conive with a hooded criminal to tell lies, and decieve the entire nation about the murder of a serving Attorney General and an elder statesman. Then I wonder what an average police man will do.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by denex: 4:07am On Dec 13, 2007
Please people, stop blowing things out of proportion here.

Policemen kill armed robbers almost everyday. Armed Robbers in the very act of armed robbery. Though these people are still considered suspects in the "civilized world", but in the real world, a gun-totting robber spraying rounds of ammunition at random is a confirmed criminal whom can be killed if resists arrest.

The population of the USA is twice that of Nigeria. Have you all considered the number of people killed by the police in USA over the past 2 years? Including those unarmed ones which the police plant weapons on to justify the killings.

Even in the USA itself, I've read news of the police killing a student ACCUSED of stealing a PS 3. Sheriff's deputies shooting suspects who pulled knives on them. We know how suspected cop killers are hunted down and slaughtered in the USA. So Please davidf, try to find out how many people were killed by the police in various countries and then compare with those in Nigeria. Don't just paste stand alone figures.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by denex: 4:35am On Dec 13, 2007
This may also help in refreshing your memory.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/10/08/Wisconsin.shooting/index.html
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by CrazyMan(m): 11:27am On Dec 13, 2007
@ topic,
If Ehindero as an Inspector General of Police could heartlessly conive with a hooded criminal to tell lies, and decieve the entire nation about the murder of a serving Attorney General and an elder statesman. Then I wonder what an average police man will do.
I agree with you; the Nigeria police force has become a shadow of itself.

A force that is meant to protect the lives and properties of the masses has turned out to be a life terminator on the masses what a shame.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by Mariory(m): 12:21pm On Dec 13, 2007
davidif:

Can you believe this? The police killed 7,198 nigerians in five years.

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1605

I know this people were PROBABLY (keyword being probably) criminals, but we have a judicial system people and no human deserves to just die like that. What if you had a cousin or brother who was just indiscriminately detained (kidnapped is the right word) simply because he was in the vicinity of the crime and they didn't have an attorney assigned to him. Where is the district attorney or whatever they call them in naija. This is gross miscarriage of justice. In the mordern world, one is innocent UNTIL PROVEN BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.
I recently read an article in the BBC not long ago about around 750 suspects (SUSPECTS) being killed since the beginning of the year alone.
This guys were not even convicted yet. What a shame. The funny thing is that if the govts could provide this guys with jobs they wouldn't be doing this but this is another topic for another day.

Pray tell, how do you arrest a robber that shooting at you with an AK-47 rifle. Do you perhaps read him his rights over a megaphone?
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by MP007(m): 12:23pm On Dec 13, 2007
ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE, isnt that the usual excuse? may the lord have mercy, nigerian lives have been equated to thatof chickens and goats,
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by salinco(m): 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2007
MP007:

ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE, isnt that the usual excuse? may the lord have mercy, nigerian lives have been equated to that chickens and goats,
May God save us from these uniform men (i.e. police, army, navy e.t.c.) I can never call them the law enforcement agent but unlawful agent, there are many bad eggs. But nevertheless, I sincerely sympathies with them and their family. They deserve the best from our Government.
The Government should improve the service to improve the Law enforcement agencies for the country to better. And stop collecting or receiving Egunje to avoid Accidental Discharge and pray to the Lord to have mercy
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by davidif: 6:09am On Dec 14, 2007
@kobojunkie
I mean we are speaking of the whole police force policing a nation of over 140 million people. An Estimate of about 1439 people killed a year is not outrageous.

My goodness are you joking I really can't believe you just said that.
How do you sleep at night, you need to ask God for forgiveness (he says we would give account of every careless word we uttered when we were on earth on the day of judgement).
One soul losing his life to police brutality is more than bad enough and should create an uproar within the justice system (remember Rodney King), infact, the senate subcomittee on law enforcement should conduct an enquiry into that, they should subpoena the attorney general and the Commissioner of Police and the office of legal counsel (if they have that over there) to testify why that one person got killed. But we are talking about not 1, 2, or even 3, but 1439 people!!!, you see how our people don't get the concept of fundamental human rights. A human being no matter his or her standing in society is very very special and should not in any circumstance have there life taken by any human being.

@denex
Yeah there are some mishaps like that, but even though they are a few and far between, there is still accountability. There are internal investigations and inquiry to every death caused by the police, in fact, the "po po" have video cameras in their cars to monitor them and see if they are guilty of wrongdoing (e.g whooping a suspect) in there actions. Any police convicted of wrongdoing is usually stripped of his badge or sent to jail. In naija, there is no such thing as that. Besides don't you think that worse happen in naija, its only that the police cover up the evidence (so much for protecting and serving the people) and the media hardly ever gets wind of it. So don't even begin to compare both countries. Which other country will 2 back to back Inspector generals of police embezzle all the police budgetary allocations?

Some of you might think i am just naive or that i dey look yanki eye look naija, but the truth of the matter is that today it might be a poor defenseless guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, but tomorrow it might be your loved ones or even you, then the police might just dump your body in a shallow grave to cover up evidence, then your parents would say "gbomo gbomo" don carry you do juju.
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by Kobojunkie: 6:24am On Dec 14, 2007
davidif:

@kobojunkie
I mean we are speaking of the whole police force policing a nation of over 140 million people. An Estimate of about 1439 people killed a year is not outrageous.

My goodness are you joking I really can't believe you just said that.
How do you sleep at night, you need to ask God for forgiveness (he says we would give account of every careless word we uttered when we were on earth on the day of judgement).
One soul losing his life to police brutality is more than bad enough and should create an uproar within the justice system (remember Rodney King), infact, the senate subcomittee on law enforcement should conduct an enquiry into that, they should subpoena the attorney general and the Commissioner of Police and the office of legal counsel (if they have that over there) to testify why that one person got killed. But we are talking about not 1, 2, or even 3, but 1439 people!!!, you see how our people don't get the concept of fundamental human rights. A human being no matter his or her standing in society is very very special and should not in any circumstance have there life taken by any human being.

@denex
Yeah there are some mishaps like that, but even though they are a few and far between, there is still accountability. There are internal investigations and inquiry to every death caused by the police, in fact, the "po po" have video cameras in their cars to monitor them and see if they are guilty of wrongdoing (e.g whooping a suspect) in there actions. Any police convicted of wrongdoing is usually stripped of his badge or sent to jail. In naija, there is no such thing as that. Besides don't you think that worse happen in naija, its only that the police cover up the evidence (so much for protecting and serving the people) and the media hardly ever gets wind of it. So don't even begin to compare both countries. Which other country will 2 back to back Inspector generals of police embezzle all the police budgetary allocations?

Some of you might think i am just naive or that i dey look yanki eye look naija, but the truth of the matter is that today it might be a poor defenseless guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, but tomorrow it might be your loved ones or even you, then the police might just dump your body in a shallow grave to cover up evidence, then your parents would say "gbomo gbomo" don carry you do juju.

For police in Nigeria I still suspect the number is way higher than that and so considering  the situation in the country, that number is low and if true,  and a relief.

http://cesarsalgado./2007/11/19/nigeria-785-killings-by-police-in-three-months/

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2007/11/16/nigeri17361.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7112183.stm
Re: Nigeria Police: Extremely Deadly by sholashola: 3:41am On Dec 19, 2007
Well bad! but don't make them look that bad - all they require is 20 naira and the disaster will be avoided but if you do not settle them, Yawa don gas oooooooooooooo

(1) (Reply)

2007 Marks The Deadliest Year In A Decade For Journalists Globally / Our Very Fraudulent House Of Assembly / A Panafrican State,The Only Way To Fight Xenophobia In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.