Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,102 members, 7,973,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 02:03 AM

Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? (43063 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Who Should Replace Who In This Current Super Eagles Squad To Become Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 1:14am On Dec 12, 2007
Let's just hope he will do it
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 8:35am On Dec 12, 2007
I dont see Super Eagles going far at all.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Fadajasi(m): 9:50am On Dec 12, 2007
The sad aspect is that oruma and obodo are out,what will our midfield be like? Is it mikel to play the role of atackin midfielder currently playin defensive midfield for chelsea or olofinjana,etuhu,ayila,kiata, who will it be
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by seunspice(m): 11:01am On Dec 12, 2007
I know we might make it out of the group. but i doubt us making the quarters, talkless of the semis. The Freak Eagles are just not going to make us proud.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Buhary: 12:36pm On Dec 12, 2007
Have u guys seen d list posted by berti vogts for d camping in malaga? i think eagles will surprise in nations cup
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by bluehorizo(m): 2:07pm On Dec 12, 2007
I believe the Super Eagles will soar if all the players can remain committed to the national team just as they are committed to their various clubs.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by youngies(m): 2:32pm On Dec 12, 2007
Four West African teams rumped in one group, it can't get tighter than this. It is a well known fact that W.African's style of play is to dominate the mid-field and ocassionally place some dashing runs along the flanks.

Looking at the squad as released by Vogts, I can't find our attacking mid-field players that can be compared to what Cote'ivore and Mali posses not forgetting Benin.

Looking at the wings, I can't find any natural winger in the mould of Finidi or Amuneke that will always send shivers down the spine of opponents even before the match starts.

The Defence is also suspect. With Yobo marshling the defence, the likes of Shittu, Taiwo, Afolabi are most often not consistent.  Onyekachi Apam and Nwaneri still play with the mentality of Rangers/Enyimba. Ifeanyi Emeghara, Efe Ambrose  are outsiders.

It is only in the attack that we have some measure of formidable players. But what really can players like Martins, Nsofor and Uche do if they are not being fed from the middle or the defence.

I would have loved to see players like Lukman Haruna and Rabiu Ibrahim dictating the pace in the mid-field as they did in Korea, but do they have the experience and clout to do that? No. Vogts also doen't intend using them for the competition.

Give or take, if we manage to come 2nd in our group, we will take it from there. With some bit of luck anything is possible including winning while fumbling and wobbling
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tunanpa: 5:09pm On Dec 12, 2007
Good squad it is.Good enough to claim the gold in ghana
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Valkyrie(f): 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2007
Does anyone know why Victor Anichebe was excluded from the Super Eagles squad for AFCON?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by ow11(m): 6:17pm On Dec 12, 2007
Valkyrie:

Does anyone know why Victor Anichebe was excluded from the Super Eagles squad for AFCON?

So that, that lune of a striker that hasn't scored a goal in 9 months (MAKINWA) can make the team angry
I hate Berti for succumbing to NFA's tribal sentiments
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by dayokanu(m): 6:21pm On Dec 12, 2007
Its really disgusting to see players like Shittu and Dickson Etuhu in Nigeria team just like we had players in division 90 like Sodje and Abbey george in our team at a point in time why wont we be crappy?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by chuckdee4(m): 6:24pm On Dec 12, 2007
Valkyrie:

After the poor boy put Naija b4 England (Although i doubt England woul dplay him in their first team) Vogts invited the poor boy only to bench him, he's still young anyway but i don't see why he didn't seletc him if that crap player Makinwa was included.
I might as well go try out as a striker, since Makinwa is good enough
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by TerrySoft(m): 6:41pm On Dec 12, 2007
I don't mean to be rude but i can't count how many times the Super Eagles have failed Nigerians in the past. Be that as it may, i don't expect anything good or bad but whatever comes out of the games, i'll take it in good fate.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Valkyrie(f): 6:42pm On Dec 12, 2007
Chuckdee4, honestly, I was also shocked when I saw the team list for AFCON.
And my biggest fear is that we would not qualify for the knock-out stage.
Cote d'voire, with Eboue, Toure, Drogba, Kalou, Yaya Toure(Barcelona) and the likes would give us a fire baptism. And who can forget the big man Freddie Kanoute of Sevilla and Mali (Africa's best striker at the moment in my opinion).

Let's face the truth, Ivory Coast and Mali would give us a very tough time and it would be by a stroke of genius that we qualify past the first round.
I must confess, I'm scared. I might be wrong though.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 12, 2007
if we qualify from our group it would be a miracle.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Valkyrie(f): 6:50pm On Dec 12, 2007
Davidylan, you are absolutely right.
Mali is one of those teams that is constantly under-estimated, but have improved a great deal over the last few years in terms of player quality.

Nigerians should keep one name in mind - FREDDIE KANOUTE!
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 12, 2007
Don't forget The two midfield generals for Mali - Mahmadou Diarra and Keita. I dont think Nigeria has any midfield players as good as those 2.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Valkyrie(f): 6:59pm On Dec 12, 2007
Yes Davidylan. Mali definitely has players that command respect and we would be wise to give them their due respect or suffer for it.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by dayokanu(m): 7:08pm On Dec 12, 2007
Sissoko is Malian too who is better than all those Nigerian players in that position. IMO
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 12, 2007
In short, our best is to hope for a consolation victory over Benin Republic. I cant remember the last time a Nigerian team was this weak.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Dreloaded(f): 7:20pm On Dec 12, 2007
davidylan:

In short, our best is to hope for a consolation victory over Benin Republic.

lol dream on
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 12, 2007
D-reloaded:

lol dream on

at least i still retain a tiny ray of hope that we can still defeat teams like Benin Republic. cry
So sad.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 12, 2007
dayokanu:

Its really disgusting to see players like Shittu and Dickson Etuhu in Nigeria team just like we had players in division 90 like Sodje and Abbey george in our team at a point in time why wont we be crappy?

my brother, no be only you dey wonder. Etuhu is so poor in a crap Sunderland team, gone are the days our players commanded the best teams in Europe.
Cote Divoire have 4 players in the 2 top teams in England - Arsenal and Chelsea, 1 key player in Barca.
Even small Mali has a top player each in Sevilla, Lyon and Real Madrid . . .

Na Sunderland, Everton and Watford we dey go pick players. cry
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by dayokanu(m): 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2007
The best club any Nigerian player can manage is a subs appearance in Chelsea. the other star in Watford, Sunderland, etc
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 12, 2007
Even ordinary Portsmouth, the likes of Bouba Diop and Sulley Muntari are making our players look like amateurs.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by oziomatv(m): 8:33pm On Dec 12, 2007
ever since nigerian players adopted the fashion way of tying heirs like a newly iniciated gay things has never work out in tuornanment they engaged on.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by oziomatv(m): 8:34pm On Dec 12, 2007
ever since nigerian players adopted the fashion way of tying heirs like a newly iniciated gay, things has never work out in tuornanment they engaged on.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tommyex(m): 11:15pm On Dec 12, 2007
See as una dey yab 9ja players,
well sha,let the cup start first,you ll know that africa is different from europe

I still feel we will do very well.I wish them luck
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by WarfyBoy(m): 12:15am On Dec 13, 2007
@davidif

guy i dey feel your words abeg, inshort u don refresh my momory with tht lists of gr8 player cum coaches u mentioned, abeg no mind all these pipo wey no sabi anytin, only d wise can dance to d melody of life, says a ridle, leave dem make dem dey lik back of pot wen beta tin dey inside.

Honestly spikin, we ll kno dt our boys dt went to Korea did us proud n brut joy 2 us. bt i dnt tink this is d rite tme to include dem in d national tim, I lant Haruna, Ibrahim n Udoh r in d squad, even Christiantus no even dey d list, wetin dt vogts dey do self, d one wey pain me pass na Chidi Odia wey im no invite, i kno no weda una grab my flow, Odia suppose dey dt defence, ahhhh e pain me ohhh

all d same, dis nations cup kno go easy ohhh, no b as we dey look am e go b ohhh, no b 4 smal boys ohh, no b 4 up-komin ohhhh ehen, make we kno go use play play 4k up ohh
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 3:15am On Dec 13, 2007
We dont have a team.

I dont c us qualifying.Well lets see the magic Vogts does
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by MP007(m): 4:35am On Dec 13, 2007
3rd place as usual
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Valkyrie(f): 10:06am On Dec 13, 2007
tommyex:

let the cup start first,you ll know that africa is different from europe

Ofcourse Africa is different from Europe, but the problem in 'Giant of Africa's case is that the present quality of play of the Super Eagles is not the same as that of years past.

Admittedly, we have the likes of Utaka, Martins, Mikel, Kanu, Yobo and others, but the point is that the quality of soccer in Africa has generally improved. Teams of smaller African nations are fast catching up with us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Neymar's Reactions To Psg’s Victory Over Manchester United Last Night Goes Viral / Tanitoluwa Adewumi Gets New Apartment In New York / Osimhen Parties With Oshoala, Alozie And Super Eagles Stars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.