Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,702 members, 7,945,174 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 12:13 PM

He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office (18475 Views)

An Awkward Moment At The Office Today / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Displaying Family Pictures In The Office: Is It Proper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by jidobaba(m): 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2012
@amdman, you make selling chin chin sound like fortune500 business. No self-respecting man should be selling chin chin in the office.

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Acidosis(m): 1:50pm On Jul 25, 2012
jidobaba: @amdman, you make selling chin chin sound like fortune500 business. No self-respecting man should be selling chin chin in the office.

Sir have you ever read the story of mcdonald?

Let me ask you, what's the definition of a self-respecting man? A man that works in a fully air-conditioned OFFICE? Are you the owner of the office? Isn't it slavery working all day for a man like you? Oh. . Because you enjoy the office's executive chair and a.c now means you can't sell chin-chin?
As long as the management is not against his business, then there is absolutely nothing wrong.

You just heard the man, his wife now saves 2000/day. Do your mathematics, take away sundays and saturdays and then tell us the total savings in a month.

10 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 25, 2012
It's a bad move. It won't end well.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 25, 2012
Thats a wonderful thing to do.he must really love his wife since its nt money issues dat made him start d biz.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by dramaticspeak(m): 1:57pm On Jul 25, 2012
jidobaba: @amdman, you make selling chin chin sound like fortune500 business. No self-respecting man should be selling chin chin in the office.
stupid ego

4 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by dramaticspeak(m): 1:58pm On Jul 25, 2012
bayooooooo: It's a bad move. It won't end well.
are you sure cos i laugh
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by r231(m): 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2012

Na wa o shocked shocked
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by amdman: 2:03pm On Jul 25, 2012

You are entitled to your views, but note that food business is what many Fortune 500 companies do! PepsiCo, Kraft Foods, Coca-Cola, Tyson Foods, etc are companies I can immediately point at as American companies in food business and are in the top Fortune 100 companies by revenue - http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/full_list/index.html

In Nigeria, Nigerian Breweries, Nestle, Guinness, Flour Mills, Dangote Sugar, Cadbury, Dangote Flour Mills, 7-UP Bottling Coy, Honeywell Flour Mill, National Salt Coy, Presco, Okomu Oil Palm. etc are Food/Beverage companies in the Thisday/BGL 50 top stocks in Nigeria. Or ask UAC Foods, Chi Group, Tastee Fried Chicken, Tantalizers, Integrated Dairies etc what their annual revenues are.

The value of education is that you can take roasted plantain and turn it into a world class product. Applying innovation, you turn an unattractive item into a commodity of choice. I am a lawyer turned credit/investment analyst, so I should know a few things.

12 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by jamace(m): 2:06pm On Jul 25, 2012
That is the undiluted, original Family Support Programme.

The guy should carry go jare. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by dramaticspeak(m): 2:07pm On Jul 25, 2012
amdman:

You are entitled to your views, but note that food business is what many Fortune 500 companies do! PepsiCo, Kraft Foods, Coca-Cola, Tyson Foods, etc are companies I can immediately point at as American companies in food business and are in the top Fortune 100 companies by revenue - http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/full_list/index.html

In Nigeria, Nigerian Breweries, Nestle, Guinness, Flour Mills, Dangote Sugar, Cadbury, Dangote Flour Mills, 7-UP Bottling Coy, Honeywell Flour Mill, National Salt Coy, Presco, Okomu Oil Palm. etc are Food/Beverage companies in the Thisday/BGL 50 top stocks in Nigeria. Or ask UAC Foods, Chi Group, Tastee Fried Chicken, Tantalizers, Integrated Dairies etc what their annual revenues are.

The value of education is that you can take roasted plantain and turn it into a world class product. Applying innovation, you turn an unattractive item into a commodity of choice. I am a lawyer turned credit/investment analyst, so I should know a few things.
#gbam

2 Likes

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Orikinla(m): 2:07pm On Jul 25, 2012
There is nothing wrong with it.
As long as it helps them to pay their bills.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 25, 2012
Solo Makinde Gbegborun oshi ni OP yi sha. No face your work, dey dia dey salivate over another man wife chin chin.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by nifemi01(m): 2:09pm On Jul 25, 2012
Oh please, there is nothing wrong in doing this. Imagine a lecturer selling bra n panties by d school gate where she works.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Jarus(m): 2:09pm On Jul 25, 2012
Professionally speaking, I don't think this is totally right, especially as most likely the organization, like many others, will have a policy that forbids selling during workhours.

But this is Naija, even the policy makers don't abide by the rules, not to talk of enforcing compliance. Although I came across it tucked somewhere in my former company's staff handbook, I must confess I also marketed my wife's wares (jewelries) to my colleagues in office a couple of times, albeit not openly.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 25, 2012
Thank God its even chin chin! Supposing it was cold kunu or cold zobo drink the man sells in the office,what will u say to dat? Abeg make una leave the man joor!
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Acidosis(m): 2:14pm On Jul 25, 2012
amdman:

unfortunately, many people don't know this.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by r231(m): 2:16pm On Jul 25, 2012
Jarus: Professionally speaking, I don't think this is totally right, especially as most likely the organization, like many others, will have a policy that forbids selling during workhours.

But this is Naija, even the policy makers don't abide by the rules, not to talk of enforcing compliance. Although I came across it tucked somewhere in my former company's staff handbook, I must confess I also marketed my wife's wares (jewelries) to my colleagues in office a couple of times, albeit not openly.

Bros leave professionally alone.....man must eat now

Not only in naija, it's everywhere...people around here will even shove Avon catalogue down your mouth in the office that you must buy by force grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by oyestephen(m): 2:17pm On Jul 25, 2012
its a very good idea, it shows the man really loves the woman, and wants to encourage her
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Acidosis(m): 2:18pm On Jul 25, 2012
pro01: Solo Makinde Gbegborun oshi ni OP yi sha. No face your work, dey dia dey salivate over another man wife chin chin.

bigots like you are the recycle bin we have here on nairaland.
Did you even read the comments before flexing your fingers on the qwerty keyboard?

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by mogbomoya: 2:20pm On Jul 25, 2012
@Ardman, I wish I cld give you a handshake.

Women need men like you that would support their dream. My hubby is the best, and encourages me. I work in a corporate office but he still pushes me to do a little business by the side. When I travel, he takes my goods in his car boot and helps to sell to his colleagues after work / lunch time. During Valentine, he sold over 60 packs of gift packs for me. The extra money is small, but he is training me to have the mind of an entrepreneur.

I have worked in corporate organizations outside of Nigeria, some of my colleagues sold during lunch hour. And my supervisor was aware. So far, it does not interfere with your working hours.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by 27naira(m): 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
amdman: My friend (poster Nahinbdis) just showed me this post now and I am the one he is referring to.

Wifey is currently doing her NYSC here in Lagos. We had previously resolved that she would not be going into paid employment upon completion. Because of her industrious nature, she mooted the idea of starting a catering business while she is still serving, as a learning process before going bigger. And I think any husband in a great marriage such as I have would support her.

I don’t actually ‘hawk’ the stuff in the office. Like OP said, I brought it to the office for testing and people just loved it, and asked that I keep bringing (including my supervising manager), and right now when people know that I bring, demand exceeds supply. It doesn’t affect my job at all (issues raised by Braveheart are germane) as I have drawn up a list of those interested and I just ask them if they want. However, the selling is a short term thing as there are avenues I am currently exploring that will take care of that (a bigger platform) in about 2 weeks or so.

And the truth is there is profit in it (for wifey though). She told me yesterday that she has started saving N2000 per day as untouchable profit (other profits are reinvested) and we have not even done 1% of the actual marketing and sales in our business plan. She is so anxious to start the real stuff and am the one holding her on a leash right now (so she does not put too much on her plate).

Do I really care what people think? Sometimes. But when I look at the big picture I kill those thoughts. Someday, this will be part of the testimony and it would all have been worth it.

Kudos to you and your wife for such industrious spirit. I totally support a self-sustaining business venture like the one your wife is engaged in, and your supportive attitude is totally commendable. That said, if i were your supervisor, i will recommend you for suspension and if you're still on probation, your appointment will be withdrawn. It's nothing personal, but in corporate business like ours (don't know about yours), any ancillary venture within the premise of our business environment which generates profit for the benefit of a third party is illegitimate. Kudos to you again! smiley

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by comechop(m): 2:22pm On Jul 25, 2012
braveheart2012: I am a bit surprised at the responses on this thread. It's obvious that most of the replies are coming from people with limited corporate experience. The man's action is unprofessional and this type of activity is expressly forbidden in most mid-size to large corporations in the West. In fact, the only other type of "employment" or "business" most employers will tolerate is non-profit work or volunteer work. Selling merchandise in the office is grounds for immediate dismissal. He is technically representing another business interest (his sole focus during working hours should be on the business he is getting paid full-time wages for.) In addition, he is using corporate property (i.e. the office premises) for unapproved personal gain.

Besides, it's just reflects poor judgement. It's a different thing if his wife came in to the office everyday to sell her chin-chin. But the man is selling it himself? Is this the same man I am supposed to promote to a leadership position and trust to safeguard my company's resources? What will he do when he becomes office manager? Convert the office into a supermarket? How are his subordinates supposed to look-up to a man that will jeopardize his career for less than 20k naira in profits per month? This is the type of man that will sell/rent-out office property and collect bribes to make extra-money on the side. If I were his boss, I would fire him immediately.

PS - My viewpoint is very westernized (although I was born and raised in Nigeria, I have no work experience in Nigeria). Given how upside-down and backwards most of Nigeria is, it wouldn't surprise me if this type of behavior is endemic at Nigerian corporations.

Couldn't have put it better myself, well said.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by admitme(m): 2:24pm On Jul 25, 2012
Thats what I call Love... Doing Something Extra-ordinary for your woman
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by SisiKill1: 2:27pm On Jul 25, 2012
pro01: Solo Makinde Gbegborun oshi ni OP yi sha. No face your work, dey dia dey salivate over another man wife chin chin.
Rotflmao! This cracked me up. . . .hahahahaha!! cheesy cheesy
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by boyendowed(m): 2:34pm On Jul 25, 2012
Brand_new: undecided Why do you want to crucify OP. I can read clearly that he says it`s not a bad idea before asking for your opinion. So why yall acting so wild?

Welcome to nairaland where people insult unnecessarily rather than give necessary advice
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by comechop(m): 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2012
Ujujoan:

Stop displaying your ignorance. A good business man knows he has to explore ALL opportunities to market his products. The goods in question is a snack and which is something people use/take in the office - during office hours. Why do canteens exist in offices? Is that also unprofessional too?

This is a BANK and his chin-chin is not a competitor!

PS: He's not using it as a front for business. If you read the OP you'll see that he first brought samples to get his colleague's opinion. Whatever he sells now is strictly on request.

I wonder when Nigerians will quit being hypocritical!

Foolishness of the highest order. Keep on displaying YOUR ignorance.
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by ADint(m): 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2012
Its good to support your partner's business anyway you can. Selling chin-chin, jewelry, shoes or whatever in the office should not be condoned by any serious minded business in order to instill professionalism in the workplace.

Having said that, it seems to be an accepted practice in Nigeria. In this instance, if at all the chin-chin has to be sold in the office, then he should let the wife come and do it herself or employ some jobless youth to do the rounds. He is not being professional and he is sending out the wrong message to his subordinates. If his subordinates also now decide to start selling their wives akara, puff-puff or kunu in the office what would he have to say to that? How would he be able to stop them? What then would he have turned the office to?

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by jude33084(m): 2:38pm On Jul 25, 2012
ƍöôϑ hussy wink
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by boyendowed(m): 2:39pm On Jul 25, 2012
ADint: Its good to support your partner's business anyway you can. Selling chin-chin, jewelry, shoes or whatever in the office should not be condoned by any serious minded business in order to instill professionalism in the workplace.

Having said that, it seems to be an accepted practice in Nigeria. In this instance, if at all the chin-chin has to be sold in the office, then he should let the wife come and do it herself or employ some jobless youth to do the rounds. He is not being professional and he is sending out the wrong message to his subordinates. If his subordinates also now decide to start selling their wives akara, puff-puff or kunu in the office what would he have to say to that? How would he be able to stop them? What then would he have turned the office to?

Very balanced and reasonable statement

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by dukesmith(m): 2:47pm On Jul 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Obviously it is the reader you used that should be called into question or you won't be picking on my post when many others on the same thread practically stated the same thing I did.

Now run along. . .was gonna say you should go learn comprehension but I fear it is far too late for you. My advice -Go learn how to nod your head convincingly so you can get away with feigning understanding when people talk to you.

Best of luck. smiley

bros, no try this chick, me sef I dey fear am o... sisi hot! I dey hail o. grin grin grin
Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by amdman: 2:49pm On Jul 25, 2012
^^^^Like I said earlier, it is not a going-forward strategy to be selling the stuff in the office, displaying it and all that.

Its more like wearing a shirt to the office and a colleague says 'I love that shirt, pls get one for me'. If I choose to oblige him, it won't be at variance with company policy. Likewise, I distributed the chin-chin free of charge the first time and feedback was like 'wow, its so nice, bring for me tomorrow' and 'always bring for me'. Obliging them does not infringe on the company policy which is actually targetted as using official hours for private biz. If I was displaying the products, or going from desk to desk to sell, that's a different thing altogether.

1 Like

Re: He Sells His Wife's Chin-chin In The Office by Isaleeko2: 2:52pm On Jul 25, 2012
I am really worried about the way people are talking on this thread. All those guys castigating the idea and telling us about how corporate entities do it abroad. Please spare me, jare. Unemployment rate in that abroad is rising and I won't be surprised if one day this small business ventures grows to the point that those human beings castigating the idea come and drop their CV to work with the business venture they want to use their mouths (and keyboards) to kill.

I am all for the growth of the Nigerian GDP, anyway it can as long as you are not doing anything illegal. We need more people like these who would build more companies that will be listed on our Nigerian Stock Exchange so that all those doubting Thomases can come and rush the shares.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help!!! An 'ss' Nairalander Cries Out (disturbing Photos) / As A Guy, Can You Marry A Girl From A Separated Home? / Benefits And Side Effects Of Using Delay Products To Beat Premature Ejaculati*n

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.