Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide (8364 Views)

Saraki Trial: APC Will Not Cede Senate Presidency To Opposition – Oyegun / Akinjide Attacks Buhari For Truncating Lagos Metroline Project / Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 7:23am On Sep 27, 2012
FORMER Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide, on Wednesday, declared that former head of state, General Yakubu Gowon, did not cede the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

The former minister, who was the guest speaker at the 2 Division, Nigerian army training week with the theme: “Developing requisite capabilities by the Nigerian Army for combating contemporary security challenges,” said it was a former head of state who signed an instrument that seceded the part of the country to Cameroon.

Akinjide, who did not give the name of the former head of state, said the matter was more complicated than what the people perceived.

According to him, “Nigeria did not secede the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

“There are a lot of rumour that General Gowon cede Bakassi to Cameroon. That is not true. He did not cede the place to Cameroon at all.

“The truth is that it was a former head of state who signed an instrument that the place belongs to Cameroon, and that was presented at the International Court of Justice (ICJ),” Akinjide declared.

He explained that for eight years when the case was on, every issue was considered, including the human element, saying that many memoranda were presented before the court.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/48299-gowon-did-not-cede-bakassi-akinjide
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 7:24am On Sep 27, 2012
Who is this former head of state this man may be talking about undecided undecided
He represented Nigeria at the ICJ, he should know what he is talking about
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:26am On Sep 27, 2012
OBJ of course.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Biggyd2: 7:27am On Sep 27, 2012
Who is this nameless and faceless head of state? What is going on this country? Are we no longer in a "democracy"? The only former HOS who played a primary role in this issue, that I know of is OBJ? Why is this "elder stateman" so quiet on this matter?
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 7:42am On Sep 27, 2012
Are u both saying this was done in late 1970's when Obj was in power? Why should he do such a thing? The civil war has ended by then. I dont think he would have done that after he became HOS in 1999. Akinjide claims this pact as presented at the ICJ court proceedings
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 27, 2012
Is he afraid to name the former president who did it? Why is he wasting his time talking without mentioning names? If its not Gowon,then who? No one want to take the blame because they have all seen the result! What a shame!

1 Like

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Biggyd2: 7:59am On Sep 27, 2012
My thinking is that he should tell us what happened during his administration was during his term that Bakassi was ceded. What overwhelming evidence was there that made him agree to cede this region without the consent of the National Assembly. He may be able to give explanations that may calm some nerves. A junior in Akinjide's chambers did say that after the ruling Akinjide raised his displeasure on the judgement. So what did the government do after that? Was Bakassi used to play a political game to curry the favour of some 'bigger' powers?
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 8:03am On Sep 27, 2012
Biggyd2: My thinking is that he should tell us what happened during his administration was during his term that Bakassi was ceded. What overwhelming evidence was there that made him agree to cede this region without the consent of the National Assembly. He may be able to give explanations that may calm some nerves.

We are talking about events that happened even before OBJ became president in 1999. Akinjide claimed this pact was presented to the ICJ prior 2002. Judgement came that year and Obj foolishly (IMO) decided to proceed with the details of this judgement hurriedly.
Who as this H.O.S prior 1999 that did this?
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by strangest(m): 8:09am On Sep 27, 2012
"FORMER Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide"

For a man in his position to make such a statement,,means that its 99% true, he could have also spared us the guess work by mentioning the name or probably he was afraid of defaming a fellow tribesman ... Obasanjo should tell us his personal interest in Bakassi that made him to sign an instrument that transferred the ownership of Bakassi to Cameroon. GBAM
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Biggyd2: 8:12am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

We are talking about events that happened even before OBJ became president in 1999. Akinjide claimed this pact was presented to the ICJ prior 2002. Judgement came that year and Obj foolishly (IMO) decided to proceed with the details of this judgement.
Who as this H.O.S prior 1999 that did this?

Still in line with what I am saying though. He must know. Everything ended during his administartion. He may be able to give us facts that we don't know about. My fear is that everything possible should be done to help these people. We won't want a situation where we have another BH issue in Bakassi. That won't be funny.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 8:20am On Sep 27, 2012
Biggyd2:

Still in line with what I am saying though. He must know. Everything ended during his administartion. [/b]He may be able to give us facts that we don't know about. My fear is that everything possible should be done to help these people. We won't want a situation where we have another BH issue in Bakassi. That won't be funny.

[b]I feel u however it should be noted that everything hasnt ended. There is still room for appeal which we all expect the Retardeen to attend to. The case was already in court before OBJ came in 1999.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Biggyd2: 8:26am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

I feel u however it should be noted that everything hasnt ended. There is still room for appeal which we all expect the Retardeen to attend to. The case was already in court before OBJ came in 1999.

I pray. If these people don't have some positive resolution to this matter, we will be joking if we think there will be peace for the rest of us. It will only take a matter of time.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by PointB: 8:32am On Sep 27, 2012
Gowon is alive, and very articulate to boot! Let him speak for him self. I don't understand the unbridled propensity for slaves to speak for their masters!

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 8:49am On Sep 27, 2012
PointB: Gowon is alive, and very articulate to boot! Let him speak for him self. I don't understand the unbridled propensity for slaves to speak for their masters!

The same way Maku the silly one, okupe the dog and Abati the liar speaks for the master the Retardeen.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by PointB: 8:52am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

The same way Maku the silly one, okupe the dog and Abati the liar speaks for the master the Retardeen.

The ones you referenced are empowered officially, and are paid for what they do. Pray, on which authority does this retarded slave speak for Gowon?

1 Like

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Afam4eva(m): 8:55am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

Those are appointed spokes persons for GEJ but this Akinjide stopped working for Gowon after the civil war.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 8:59am On Sep 27, 2012
PointB:

The ones you referenced are empowered officially, and are paid for what they do. Pray, on which authority is does this retarded slave speak for Gowon?

Kasumu or so that speaks for IBB constantly is in which capacity officially? Pray to me first that this "slave" is not personally mandated to speak for Gowon. Besides he didnt say he is speaking on his behalf, he is just laying out the facts but left out the desired names. yes the facts i said because he represented this country at the ICJ during the trial. I believe all these documents will be at his disposal.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Those are appointed spokes persons for GEJ but this Akinjide stopped working for Gowon after the civil war.

U dont need to be in government to become a spokesman for a person. Infact, a simple phone call to ur desired spokesman to speak on ur behalf in whatever forum will do undecided
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by ndukwejoe(m): 9:12am On Sep 27, 2012
Is it that those who knew what happened during the civil war have all died, what my dad told me was that bakassi peninsula was ceded by gowon. Why do they want to twist the story.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 9:25am On Sep 27, 2012
ndukwejoe: Is it that those who knew what happened during the civil war have all died, what my dad told me was that bakassi peninsula was ceded by gowon. Why do they want to twist the story.

Ok good. but do u have an idea of where ur dad got that info from?
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by allwestafrican: 9:50am On Sep 27, 2012
during the biafrian war gowon ceded bakassi to Cameroon as compensation to Cameroon for blocking war aides biafra was receiving from France, Haiti, and Cameroon itself. Gowon sold out bakassi to win Nigeria -biafra war.

1 Like

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Godmann(m): 9:52am On Sep 27, 2012
[size=14pt]Why believe this old lying fool. This same man was the man that redefined 2/3 of 19 states to be 12 states with the connivance of a corrupt Supreme court. This, Obasanjo and a popular Yoruba lawyer that I can remember his name now (the former President of world court of justice) decided to hand over Bakassi to Britain for whatever reason best known to them. I am sure it was either for personal or tribal reason.

The same man is coming here to lie to us.

LYING OLD FOOLS[/size]
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by slimming: 9:54am On Sep 27, 2012
for how long will they tell the President to appeal the judgement.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by chucky234(m): 9:55am On Sep 27, 2012
This Bakassi matter sef don tire me
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 27, 2012
allwestafrican: during the biafrian war gowon ceded bakassi to Cameroon as compensation to Cameroon for blocking war aides biafra was receiving from France, Haiti, and Cameroon itself. Gowon sold out bakassi to win Nigeria -biafra war.
so what's the old man saying? Why is he trying to defend Gowon? This is not the time to start saying who ceded bakassi or not.nigeria still have time to appeal the court ruling.this slow attitude of the federal government still makes me wonder if they are serious or not!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by omiobo: 10:02am On Sep 27, 2012
THIS SPACE IS FOR SALE
Pls pay in naira
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by PointB: 10:03am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

Kasumu or so that speaks for IBB constantly is in which capacity officially? Pray to me first that this "slave" is not personally mandated to speak for Gowon. Besides he didnt say he is speaking on his behalf, he is just laying out the facts but left out the desired names. yes the facts i said because he represented this country at the ICJ during the trial. I believe all these documents will be at his disposal.

We can see the result of his representation of Nigeria - calamity!

Wouldn't he be deem wise, if he shut his mouth, and let the country sort out the mess people like him created!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by sunkoye: 10:04am On Sep 27, 2012
undecidedthis is becomming very interesting. but naija too get many secret sha
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Flyingngel(m): 10:08am On Sep 27, 2012
[s][/s][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
berem: so what's the old man saying? Why is he trying to defend Gowon? This is not the time to start saying who ceded bakassi or not.nigeria still have time to appeal the court ruling.this slow attitude of the federal government still makes me wonder if they are serious or not!
simply they knw themself, bird of d same feather flock together.
berem: so what's the old man saying? Why is he trying to defend Gowon? This is not the time to start saying who ceded bakassi or not.nigeria still have time to appeal the court ruling.this slow attitude of the federal government still makes me wonder if they are serious or not!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by NET1(m): 10:08am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem: FORMER Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide, on Wednesday, declared that former head of state, General Yakubu Gowon, did not cede the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

The former minister, who was the guest speaker at the 2 Division, Nigerian army training week with the theme: “Developing requisite capabilities by the Nigerian Army for combating contemporary security challenges,” said it was a former head of state who signed an instrument that seceded the part of the country to Cameroon.

Akinjide, who did not give the name of the former head of state, said the matter was more complicated than what the people perceived.

According to him, “Nigeria did not secede the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

“There are a lot of rumour that General Gowon cede Bakassi to Cameroon. That is not true. He did not cede the place to Cameroon at all.

“The truth is that it was a former head of state who signed an instrument that the place belongs to Cameroon, and that was presented at the International Court of Justice (ICJ),” Akinjide declared.

He explained that for eight years when the case was on, every issue was considered, including the human element, saying that many memoranda were presented before the court.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/48299-gowon-did-not-cede-bakassi-akinjide

Oga Minister, if you are not ready to name the person who ceded Bakassi to Cameroon, then please just shut up. You wan sound relevant, whereas your time don pass. Wetin sef?

If you know the person, tell us. On the other hand, if you don't, go sidon somewhere.

PS: Demdem, no mind this guy abeg. I'm not sure he has his facts right.

.NET

1 Like

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 10:14am On Sep 27, 2012
PointB:

We can see the result of his representation of Nigeria - calamity!

Wouldn't he be deem wise, if he shut his mouth, and let the country sort out the mess people like him created!

Oga, i think u are trying to change the goal post here. U earlier requested that Gowon himself should "boot on", now u demand they shoud shut up. which one should we admit now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Lebanese & Chinese Are Making It In Nigeria But Our People Are Struggling / From The Dump Slums Of Lagos To The Streets Of London / Don't You Forsee An Evolution Or Break-up Soon In Nigeria??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.