Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,664 members, 7,831,056 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide (8372 Views)

Saraki Trial: APC Will Not Cede Senate Presidency To Opposition – Oyegun / Akinjide Attacks Buhari For Truncating Lagos Metroline Project / Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by allwestafrican: 10:15am On Sep 27, 2012
berem: so what's the old man saying? Why is he trying to defend Gowon? This is not the time to start saying who ceded bakassi or not.nigeria still have time to appeal the court ruling.this slow attitude of the federal government still makes me wonder if they are serious or not!

the ICJ gave the judgment years ago, its two weeks for Cameron to take possession, what can the govt do..........? they knw what the previous govts have done before and are not interested hence their lack luster attitude or its the regular naija fire brigade approach.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 10:17am On Sep 27, 2012
.NET:

Oga Minister, if you are not ready to name the person who ceded Bakassi to Cameroon, then please just shut up. You wan sound relevant, whereas your time don pass. Wetin sef?

If you know the person, tell us. On the other hand, if you don't, go sidon somewhere.

PS: Demdem, no mind this guy abeg. I'm not sure he has his facts right.

.NET

To be honest, am interested in knowing what he knows. Am sure he is an authority on this issue because all what that transpired at the ICJ coupled with all documents tabled by both parties (Nigeria/camerron) didnt happen at his back. he represented this country.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Joey82(m): 10:19am On Sep 27, 2012
PointB: Gowon is alive, and very articulate to boot! Let him speak for him self. I don't understand the unbridled propensity for slaves to speak for their masters!

Does it matter who speaks for who?
what is important is that he (Akinjide) has opened another chapter to a rather diverted perception that Gowon was the culprit.
even though i'm surprised that Gowon never came up to clear the air which is suspicious (maybe he's forming elder statesman)
i think bakassi people deserve to know the truth about who is directly responsible for their present situation.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by mobi007: 10:23am On Sep 27, 2012
niga my country, story story.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by mmmustapha(m): 10:24am On Sep 27, 2012
Most b OBJ or IBB
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by goldng: 10:27am On Sep 27, 2012
So few days from now some Nigerians would now be addressed as Camerounians. This is not good.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by ujukala: 10:33am On Sep 27, 2012
Why is Akinjide defending Gowon? He is alive for goodness sake. Left him defend himself!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Dee60: 10:41am On Sep 27, 2012
The old man has said nothing! Sorry. What is not complicated? Even mixing garri in hot water to make eba can be complicated for people who do not know how to prepare that stuff. With his statement, he has brought more complication to a simple matter.

Why is FG not appealing? Is that to mean they are happy to let Bakassi people go? What is in an appeal? Again, what is in an appeal? Why would they be afraid to appeal?

Somebody, speak to Nigerians, please!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 27, 2012
berem: Is he afraid to name the former president who did it? Why is he wasting his time talking without mentioning names? If its not Gowon,then who? No one want to take the blame because they have all seen the result! What a shame!

Trust Yoruba man, their 1st name is "fear" while their surname is 'Coward" tongue

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 10:47am On Sep 27, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Trust Yoruba man, their 1st name is "fear" while their surname is 'Coward" tongue

Abegii, dont start any tribal war here. Issues at stake are far more important than this.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by PointB: 10:49am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

Oga, i think u are trying to change the goal post here. U earlier requested that Gowon himself should "boot on", now u demand they shoud shut up. which one should we admit now?

Oga I no get time for cyclic argument now. I dey work, abeg!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by PointB: 10:50am On Sep 27, 2012
Joey82:

Does it matter who speaks for who?
what is important is that he (Akinjide) has opened another chapter to a rather diverted perception that Gowon was the culprit.
even though i'm surprised that Gowon never came up to clear the air which is suspicious (maybe he's forming elder statesman)
i think bakassi people deserve to know the truth about who is directly responsible for their present situation.

You somehow managing to say the same thing as I did.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Demdem(m): 11:01am On Sep 27, 2012
PointB:

Oga I no get time for cyclic argument now. I dey work, abeg!

Just want u to be consistent and stop moving with the wind.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 27, 2012
ujukala: Why is Akinjide defending Gowon? He is alive for goodness sake. Left him defend himself!
the thing get as e be o! Is Gowon a dumbfuck or what? Can't he speak for himself? Am sure he is damn guilty that's why he is afraid to talk! What else is he gonna say? Absolutely nothing! Seems the government is taking this case as a child's play.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by hardbody: 11:12am On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem:

We are talking about events that happened even before OBJ became president in 1999. Akinjide claimed this pact was presented to the ICJ prior 2002. Judgement came that year and Obj foolishly (IMO) decided to proceed with the details of this judgement hurriedly.
Who as this H.O.S prior 1999 that did this?

The logic is simple, Gowon ceded that part of Nigeria during his first tenure, in the course of his second tenure, he 'hurriedly' completed the diabolic step hiding under the canopy of ICJ judgment. Stu.pid old man. Later some bigots will say its the Igbo that loves money. This man in his greed sold the right of Nigerians and thereafter sold out on Abiola (his kinsman). Perhaps OBJ has Igbo blood flowing in his veins
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by DICKtator: 11:18am On Sep 27, 2012
Stupidity of the highest order. Southern Cameroon decided to be with Cameroon through a referendum. Why wasn't a referendum taken in the case of Bakassi? Yet we blame the Europeans for the Great Scramble knowing fully well the imperialistic attitude is also in us.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by feelamong(m): 11:22am On Sep 27, 2012
hardbody:

The logic is simple, Gowon ceded that part of Nigeria during his first tenure, in the course of his second tenure, he 'hurriedly' completed the diabolic step hiding under the canopy of ICJ judgment. Stu.pid old man. Later some bigots will say its the Igbo that loves money. This man in his greed sold the right of Nigerians and thereafter sold out on Abiola (his kinsman). Perhaps OBJ has Igbo blood flowing in his veins

Are you the only one that is not aware that OBJ's mun was pregnated by an Igbo police officer posted to abeokuta then? undecided

1 Like

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 27, 2012
hardbody:

you mentioned Gowon first then OBJ.you must be referring to OBJ then cos he had two tenures. But did he actually sell Bakassi to Cameroon? I mean based on monetary terms? Meeehn! So many secrets yet to unfold I tell ya!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Ann77: 11:31am On Sep 27, 2012
shey Gowon no fit talk for himself....abegi jooorrr
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Biggyd2: 11:43am On Sep 27, 2012
Senate Asks Jonathan to “Immediately” Appeal Bakassi Ceding

Senate president David Mark is to send a letter to President Jonathan calling for urgent action.

In a decision that may unnerve the Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, the Senate on Wednesday approved a resolution urging an immediate appeal against the ceding of Bakassi to Cameroun, a day after President Goodluck Jonathan said the decision stands.

Senators overwhelmingly rejected the International Court of Justice’s ruling on Bakassi, and criticized Mr. Jonathan’s commitment to it at a debate that appeared to unfurl a decade-old frustration with the ruling.

Mr. Jonathan, who is attending the United Nations General Assembly in New York, on Tuesday, reaffirmed Nigeria’s approval of the ruling in a conciliatory speech that has sparked condemnations back home.

Separately, government officials have also hinted at the administration’s disinterest with reopening the final appeal window on the case which shuts October 10.

Senate president, David Mark, said on Wednesday that Mr. Jonathan’s position notwithstanding, it should be made clear that Nigeria has rejected the ruling. Mr. Mark said he will personally dispatch a letter to the president to underscore the urgency of the case.

“In spite of what the president said at the UN, we still have not accepted the ICJ judgment, though we obeyed it as a law-abiding nation,” Mr. Mark said. “There is a lot of pressure at home and we will revisit the letters and see what we can do. From our own side, we reject the judgment.”

If the president chooses to act on the resolution, he now has two weeks to mandate his officials to institute the appeal on the premise of fresh evidences backing Nigeria’s claim to the territory.

The president has barely emerged from an embarrassing currency restructuring episode in which he reneged on, after intense public outcry and the National Assembly.

Foremost writer, Elechi Amadi, on Tuesday called for the president’s impeachment if he failed to order the appeal.

“I cringe with sheer horror at the fact that the federal government can abandon without qualms, a group of Nigerians large enough to make up a Local Government Area which is recognized in the constitution,” Mr. Elechi said in Port Harcourt.

At an arousing session Wednesday, the senate said the process leading to the eventual ceding of Bakassi to Cameroon in 2006 by the Olusegun Obasanjo administration was illegal and unconstitutional.

The resolution came through a motion moved by the Deputy Senate Leader, Abdul Ningi. Senators criticized the transfer that made no effort at seeking the consent of the people.

“If the Nigerian state cannot protect the state, the Senate should do so. We must have another look at the treaty making process, with the ongoing constitution review. Let us take advantage of the window which Article 61 provides”, Victor Ndoma-Egba, Senate Leader said.

Even with an appeal, some lawmakers feared a dithering federal government with hands literally forced on the case, may opt for a shoddy representation.

“We have barely less than two weeks for an appeal and we have two options; one is to appeal the judgment while the second option is to go back to Bakassi and repossess it,” said Heineken Lokpoibiri, who represents Bayelsa state.
http://crossriverwatch.com/2012/09/senate-asks-jonathan-to-immediately-appeal-bakassi-ceding/
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 27, 2012
Matter if jurisdiction is not a thing u can take to court of arbitration easily if not the rightful owner of the property can lose out look at the case of land dispute between china and Japan none is ever ready for settlement in court it's a thing u fight for and let ur militar might win it for u before any court will ever think of intervening ibasanjo should have thought of it before goin to the icj that they have the legal documents backing cameroon ownership of bakassi and court judge based on documents and facts or exhibits presented before it. I think akinjise is right ti av said obasanjo ceded bakassi to Cameroon . The deed has been done and it can not be reversed through the use of force unless we want to disrupt international peace unless through appeal in the court of law
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by fortyfeet(m): 12:42pm On Sep 27, 2012
allwestafrican: during the biafrian war gowon ceded bakassi to Cameroon as compensation to Cameroon for blocking war aides biafra was receiving from France, Haiti, and Cameroon itself. Gowon sold out bakassi to win Nigeria -biafra war.
My mouth shut up.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 27, 2012
heeeey!! Mr Akinjide who did iT dEn...if yhu aint gon tell u$ who did it, den just shuT tha f??k uP!! dEmO-krazie(democracy) freedom auf speeeech!...[]ccupy Nigeria mayne!!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by fortyfeet(m): 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2012
This man is older than what he just did. He has not said anything beyond what is commonly known. This matter is too sensitive to play politics with. He either stay quiet or say all that is in him he knows about the ceeding of Bakassi.
And may I ask:
1. Is Bakassi in the map of Nigeria as we have it? If it is so,
2. Why has the map not changed?

Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by fortyfeet(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2012
allwestafrican:

the ICJ gave the judgment years ago, its two weeks for Cameron to take possession, what can the govt do..........? they knw what the previous govts have done before and are not interested hence their lack luster attitude or its the regular naija fire brigade approach.
Let the government file an appeal and the case may take another 40 years. Who knows, we may be of UN interest then and so judgement may just go our way.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by fortyfeet(m): 1:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
feelamong:

Are you the only one that is not aware that OBJ's mun was pregnated by an Igbo police officer posted to abeokuta then? undecided
I used to think this is a secret!
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by SmoothCrim: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
I need a girl with a big Bakassi!!! cheesy
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by baysol: 2:08pm On Sep 27, 2012
Nigerians are the most gullible people on earth and can believe anything whether visible or not, true or not. How can one man single handedly hand over a territory of a sovereign nation to an unrepentant enemy nation like cameroon only to be discovered many years later that their was a goof somewhere? This man (Gowon)is still alive, and does not deem it necessary to come to the fore (perhaps drag to a forum to explain what is part in the whole saga was) to explain the shenanigan he brought to the people of Bakassi and Nigeria. Here is a man that will not minse words if issues relating to the north are being discussed no matter how mondane he will muscle in as if northern affairs is what makes Nigeria tick. Very shameful Nigerian exceptionalism (Backwardness), only in obodo Nigeria.
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by okpurukata(f): 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
Demdem: FORMER Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide, on Wednesday, declared that former head of state, General Yakubu Gowon, did not cede the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

The former minister, who was the guest speaker at the 2 Division, Nigerian army training week with the theme: “Developing requisite capabilities by the Nigerian Army for combating contemporary security challenges,” said it was a former head of state who signed an instrument that seceded the part of the country to Cameroon.

Akinjide, who did not give the name of the former head of state, said the matter was more complicated than what the people perceived.

According to him, “Nigeria did not secede the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

“There are a lot of rumour that General Gowon cede Bakassi to Cameroon. That is not true. He did not cede the place to Cameroon at all.

LIES LIES LIES !!!!! Go won ceded Bakassi to Cameron to spite Ojukwu. Today it's backfired. Once again I shout. Lieeeesssooooo
“The truth is that it was a former head of state who signed an instrument that the place belongs to Cameroon, and that was presented at the International Court of Justice (ICJ),” Akinjide declared.

He explained that for eight years when the case was on, every issue was considered, including the human element, saying that many memoranda were presented before the court.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/48299-gowon-did-not-cede-bakassi-akinjide
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by okpurukata(f): 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2012
allwestafrican: during the biafrian war gowon ceded bakassi to Cameroon as compensation to Cameroon for blocking war aides biafra was receiving from France, Haiti, and Cameroon itself. Gowon sold out bakassi to win Nigeria -biafra war.

100000% correct.

Gowon's sins will continue to haunt him forever. All this just to fight Ojukwu.

SMH
Re: Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide by str8talk1: 2:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
I watched wt disgust as d Senate members debated d issue on Tuesday and didnt see any1 mentioning or condemning d action of OBJ. But,d impression I got is dat d NA is mainly populated by pple who r mere boot lickers wtout a clear-cut mission statement.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is Africa Less Technologically Advanced Than European Countries? / Buhari's Winning Chances Will Fall If He Doesn't Pick Fashola As Running Mate / UNDENIABLE Greatness Of GEJ Revealed. Your Eyes Must See This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.