Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,143 members, 7,811,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? (2427 Views)

Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa And Other Tribes Must Live As One - Emir Of Katsina / Who Are The Smartest Tribes In Nigeria? / Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by naijacutee(f): 9:16am On Oct 03, 2015
I'm fascinated by other tribes - I love hearing about Yoruba, Hausa, Efik, Igala, Edo and more cultures and I think it is a wonderful opportunity to have all these different cultures that we can call our own and have the common and unique umbrella that we call Nigeria. Nothing makes me happier than when people from different cultures get married - the further the better, because it is a union that creates children who cannot afford prejudice. This I believe is a superior type of individual, as you are forced to always seek the good on both sides.

But I think it is really sad that not everyone feels this way. For those who think differently, would the world be a better place if everyone was from one tribe?
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by Patented: 9:36am On Oct 03, 2015
I taya. We spend an eternity differentiating and hating on each other cos of tribe. Tomorrow some christian will say we are the body of christ but in their hearts they hate their brothers and sisters from other tribes. Tribalism is learnt no one is born with it. When we were young children it dint matter where our freinds came from all dt mattered ws we played together. But over the years our parents ingrained in our minds suspicion and hatred for other tribes and politicians and the bad eggs further fanned the flames of tribalism. God pass all of us, on the last day breeze go blow fowl yansh!

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by naijacutee(f): 10:07am On Oct 03, 2015
Patented:
I taya. We spend an eternity differentiating and hating on each other cos of tribe. Tomorrow some christian will say we are the body of christ but in their hearts they hate their brothers and sisters from other tribes. Tribalism is learnt no one is born with it. When we were young children it dint matter where our freinds came from all dt mattered ws we played together. But over the years our parents ingrained in our minds suspicion and hatred for other tribes and politicians and the bad eggs further fanned the flames of tribalism. God pass all of us, on the last day breeze go blow fowl yansh!

You have hit the nail on the head! My first best friend was a Fulani girl and I used to love going to her house after school. Our driver always gave her a lift as she didn't live very far. I loved watching them eat tuwo from some type of beautiful calabash thing and whenever she travelled to Adamawa, she would bring me back small gifts. Oh, and also ramadan ram which I used to hide to eat :-). And I remember teaching her the little Igbo I knew.

Those ones who call themselves christians and hate others are not really christians. They are hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by Patented: 12:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
Na so we see am. We go burn our house because we see rat inside.
naijacutee:

You have hit the nail on the head! My first best friend was a Fulani girl and I used to love going to her house after school. Our driver always gave her a lift as she didn't live very far. I loved watching them eat tuwo from some type of beautiful calabash thing and whenever she travelled to Adamawa, she would bring me back small gifts. Oh, and also ramadan ram which I used to hide to eat :-). And I remember teaching her the little Igbo I knew.

Those ones who call themselves christians and hate others are not really christians. They are hypocrites.
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by Kanoro: 6:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
naijacutee:
I'm fascinated by other tribes - I love hearing about Yoruba, Hausa, Efik, Igala, Edo and more cultures and I think it is a wonderful opportunity to have all these different cultures that we can call our own and have the common and unique umbrella that we call Nigeria. Nothing makes me happier than when people from different cultures get married - the further the better, because it is a union that creates children who cannot afford prejudice. This I believe is a superior type of individual, as you are forced to always seek the good on both sides.

But I think it is really sad that not everyone feels this way. For those who think differently, would the world be a better place if everyone was from one tribe?

Why do you refer to each other as "tribes?" Calling each other "tribes" is a European invention to downplay the powerful kingdoms, empires, and civilizations that you come from. For example the Yoruba have historically been one of the most urbanized people in the world for at least the past 1000 years and most of them come from many different kingdoms like the Oyo, and Owu. You never hear Europeans calling the basque of Spain a "tribe" even though they only number a few million vs the Yoruba who have more people than entire European nations.
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by ogogoro: 9:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
Kanoro:

Why do you refer to each other as "tribes?" Calling each other "tribes" is a European invention to downplay the powerful kingdoms, empires, and civilizations that you come from. For example the Yoruba have historically been one of the most urbanized people in the world for at least the past 1000 years and most of them come from many different kingdoms like the Oyo, and Owu. You never hear Europeans calling the basque of Spain a "tribe" even though they only number a few million vs the Yoruba who have more people than entire European nations.

Ok, sorry. What's the right term?
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by Kanoro: 9:26pm On Oct 03, 2015
ogogoro:

Ok, sorry. What's the right term?

I'm an American so personally this is just my unbiased opinion. I just find it strange how Africans can refer to one another as tribes and not feel mediocre by doing so. That's all. I think a better term would probably be ethnic group, nation, kingdom, etc. Those seem alot more appropriate.
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by ogogoro: 11:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
Kanoro:

I'm an American so personally this is just my unbiased opinion. I just find it strange how Africans can refer to one another as tribes and not feel mediocre by doing so. That's all. I think a better term would probably be ethnic group, nation, kingdom, etc. Those seem alot more appropriate.

Your comment wasn't constructive and deviates from the object of conversation. I asked you to help give us the right term, and at least make your criticism constructive and you're telling us where you're from. I don't understand where you're going. Are you here to vent or to relate constructively?

Tribe is an English term, and I only selected that word to illustrate what I meant and I believe that the captive audience here also get the message and do not find it demeaning.
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by Kanoro: 12:04am On Oct 04, 2015
ogogoro:

Your comment wasn't constructive and deviates from the object of conversation. I asked you to help give us the right term, and at least make your criticism constructive and you're telling us where you're from. I don't understand where you're going. Are you here to vent or to relate constructively?

Tribe is an English term, and I only selected that word to illustrate what I meant and I believe that the captive audience here also get the message and do not find it demeaning. However I'm happy to take your comment onboard and refer to what I mean as something else.

Did I not give you suggestions for proper terms? You're calming that I didn't but I did.
Re: Why Is There So Much Hatred For Other Tribes? by JohnNgene: 8:12am On Feb 03, 2017
Kanoro:

Thank you sir. I agree with you. "Tribe" is a demeaning and offensive word. Let me use my Igbo nation for instance. If you refer to the nkanu, ngwa, abakiliki etc as tribes, you're correct because these groups are all Igbo people though they speak different dialects of the same Igbo language. This example is somewhat similar to the tribes of Israel in the bible.

But as you rightly noted, the Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani, Ibibio, Ashanti, Tuareg etc should be more appropriately called ETHNIC NATIONS because they're equal to the English, Scottish, French and other ethnic nations.

Yet I understand why Europeans would call us tribes. At the time, the had little understanding of Africa in addition to their agenda of enslaving and colonizing us.

The real tragedy in all this is that we Africans continue to address our great nations as mere tribes. We've seemingly refused to right the wrongs that the European slave/colonial masters did to us.

We even worsen issues by glorifying a European who identifies with his own ethnic nation a PATRIOT (showing patriotism) while we tag an African who identifies with his own ethnic nation a TRIBALIST (showing tribalism). Lol. It's funny but sad.

(1) (Reply)

Critical Thinking And The African Identity / History Of Homosexuality / Nigerians And Their Sense Of Entitlement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.