Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,399 members, 7,836,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. (1422 Views)

Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units / Buhari Bows To Outrage, Orders Reduction Of Presidency’s N19bn Budget. / Picture Of INEC Card Reader Reading A PVC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by OneNaija(m): 11:52pm On May 10, 2009
Abuja — As part of his proposed laws aimed at implementing the electoral reforms programmes, President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua is seeking to reduce the powers of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) by taking away its duties to register and monitor political parties.

The president also proposed the conditions expected to be met by political office seekers who want to contest elections as independent candidates.

Among the seven bills the president sent to the National Assembly on April 30, there is one providing for the establishment of Political Parties Registration and Regulatory Commission (PPPRC) which will be the regulatory authorities for political parties.

Entitled: "A Bill for an Act to Establish the Political Parties Registration and Regulatory Commission and for Other Matters Connected Thereto," it seeks to divest the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of its constitutional supervisory powers over political parties.

INEC registered all political parties currently existing in the country.

When it is passed into law, the PPPRC, according to Part 1, Section 2 of the legislation, will register political parties in accordance with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution and the Electoral Act, 2006.

The Commission shall monitor the organisation and operation of political parties, including their finances; arrange for the examination and auditing of the funds and accounts of political parties; monitor political campaigns and provide rules and regulations governing the activities of political parties.

It will also accredit domestic civil society groups and organisations working in the areas of elections and provide rules and regulations governing their observation of elections; accredit international election observers and provide rules and regulations governing their conduct and observations of elections; accredit national and international media organisations observing elections and provide rules and regulations governing their activities.

In addition, the PPPRC, according to the Bill, will perform all the functions listed under sections 46, 78-105 of the Electoral Act, 2006; set guidelines for fund-raising exercise by political parties from time to time; and ensure that party conventions, congresses and meetings are held as required by Law.

The Bill provides for the establishment of a governing board, which shall consist of a chairman, a deputy chairman, six persons (one each from the six geo-political zones) and a Director General, all of whom shall be appointed by the president and hold office for a renewable five-year term.

It bars members of the commission from holding elective office.

According to section 4, "Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in any enactment or law, a person who holds or has held office as a member of the Commission under this Act shall not, until after a period of five years immediately thereafter, be qualified for any elective office."

The Bill also empowers the president to remove members of the Commission from office.

Section 5 states: "Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 3 of this Act, the President may at anytime remove a member of the Board, if the President is of the opinion that it is not in the interest of the Board for the member to continue in office and shall notify the member in writing to that effect."

The Bill also empowers the president to give directions to the Board.

According to Section 14: "Subject to the provision of this Act, the President or any other person on his behalf, may give to the Board direction of general nature or relating generally to particular matter, but not to any particular individual or case with regard to exercise by the Board of its functions under this Act and it shall be the duty of the Board to comply with the directions."

In another bill entitled: "A Bill for an Act to Alter the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 and for Other Matters Connected Thereto," Yar'Adua proposes new subsections in Sections 65, 106, 131 and 177 of the constitution spelling out the conditions for qualification as independent candidates for federal legislators, state legislators, president and governor respectively.

For qualification as National Assembly candidates in an election as prescribed in Section 65, the bill states that "A person standing for an election as an independent candidate shall be qualified for election if he is nominated by not less than 30 and 40 registered voters for senatorial and House of Representatives respectively each of whose signatures on the nomination form shall be verified and authenticated as provided by law, from at least two-thirds of the electoral wards in the relevant electoral constituency."

In Section 106 in respect of State Legislature, the Bill proposes a new subsection 2 which reads: "A person standing for an election as an independent candidate shall be qualified for an election if he is nominated by not less than 50 registered voters, each of whose signatures on the nomination form shall be verified and authenticated as provided by law, from at least two-thirds of the electoral wards in the relevant electoral constituency."

To qualify as an independent candidate for President, the Bill proposes a new subsection 2 to section 131, thus: "A person standing for an election to the office of President as an independent candidate shall be qualified to run for election if he is nominated by not less than 10 registered voters, each of whose signatures on the nomination form shall be verified and certified as provided by law, from at least two-thirds of the electoral wards of the electoral constituency."

The new subsection 2 to Section 177 proposes: "A person for an election to the office of Governor of a State as an independent candidate shall be qualified for election if he is nominated by not less than 20 registered voters from each electoral ward, each of whose signatures on the nomination form shall be verified and certified as provided by law, from at least two-thirds of the electoral wards of the electoral constituency."

The Bill proposes new subsections to Sections 68, 109, 135 and 180 of the constitution, which make defecting from a party on which a person wins election to another party as a condition for losing the seat of a federal legislator, state legislator, president and governor respectively.

For instance, the new paragraph (d) to section 135 in respect of president, reads together with subsection (1) thus: " Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, a person shall hold the office of President until -' he becomes a member of another political party different from the political party which sponsored his election to the office of President."

Also importantly, the Bill also seeks to insert a new paragraph (d) to Section 155 of the 1999 constitution on membership of the Indepen-dent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The new paragraph reads: "notwithstanding the provision of paragraph (c) of this section, the appointment of members of the Independent National Electoral Commission may be renewed for another term of five years."

This proposition finds concurrence in another Bill for an Act to amend the INEC Act CAP 15 LFN 2004 and for other matters connected thereto.

The Bill proposes that Section 3 be amended in subsection (1) by inserting "after the words - a period of five years - the words - which may be renewable for another period of five years."

Presently, the tenure of office of members of INEC is four years, which is renewable.

The Bill in section 2 proposes new paragraphs (a) and (b) which prescribes that member of INEC shall be non-partisan and possess commensurate professional, administrative an academic experience respectively.
Relevant Links

* West Africa
* Nigeria

In section 182 on qualification for office of governor, the Bill proposes deletion of Administrative Panel of Inquiry from the following paragraph (i) of the constitution, which reads: " (i) he has been indicted for embezzlement or fraud by a Judicial Commission of Inquiry or an Administrative Panel of Inquiry or a Tribunal set up under the Tribunals of Inquiry Act, a Tribunals of Inquiry Law or any other law by the Federal or State Government which indictment has been accepted by the Federal or State Government."

The Bill also seeks to encourage women participation by proposing twenty women in the membership of the executive committee of associations wanting to be parties.

It also wants the associations to maintain functional and verifiable offices in at least two-thirds of the states of the federation.

In the explanatory memorandum, the proponent of the bill states that it seeks to amend the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to, among others provide for independent candidates in elections under the Electoral Act 2006, prohibit defection by elected persons, and guarantee the funding of INEC in line with the Electoral Reforms, 2009.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905100004.html
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Nobody: 4:19am On May 11, 2009
Is it just me or is a secret dictator emerging in Nigeria and we can't read the hand writtings on the wall

INEC should not control the activities of political parties and yet members of Political parties in executive position must not decamp. Who will enforce the rules? Presidency? o yea they are seeking more powers for police? and we all know the relationship between the police and the Presidency.

I am waiting to see if the National Assembly allows any of these criminal bills through.

President Yar'adua is designing a system for himself, it must be opposed with our last blood.

This man is too shy to campaign or compete he wants a custom rule tailored to his wishes and control. If he does no contest the next election, expect Yuguda to be the PDP leader. And is anybody wondering why Yuguda quickly decamped before the rule is changed by his father-in-law?
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by busibodi(f): 8:20am On May 11, 2009
President Yar'adua is designing a system for himself, it must be opposed with our last blood.

too late. Nigeria gets what it deserves!

when Obasanjo was duping him on Nigerians, what did anyone say?

now that he has engrave himself in aso-rock, you want to oppose.
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by ElRazur: 8:25am On May 11, 2009
Is it me alone, or don't people get tired of all these "proposals"? grin undecided
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by IFELEKE(m): 9:09am On May 11, 2009
Good Riddance to Bad Nonsense.
Few weeks after The White Elephant re branding Project we saw what they did in Ekiti.
Rogues
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Nobody: 10:08am On May 11, 2009
Let me sing coffin for the head of state by Fela,

Looku Yaradua, I say Looku Yarada. Before anything now him go de say, Haba Allah, Haba Allah, Haba Allah, Haba Alahh, Haba ala. And him de do bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, things. To mohamed our lord, amen, amen, amen. I de talk of almighty ala, amen, amen, amen. bisimi romodu salam, amen, amen, amen.

Abami Eda lives on jare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 11, 2009
Ekiti Election: Yar'adua shuts down Radio Station
Monday, 11 May 2009 07:28 Sahara Reporters, New York E-mail | Print | PDF
BN News logo
The Nigerian government shut down a radio station based in Akure, Ondo State earlier today over the recent electoral crisis in Ekiti State. Adaba 88.5 FM was shut down by security operatives that stormed the radio station over what it described as Adaba's "political interference and threat to national security".

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) also slammed the station with a N500,000 fine. The radio station is noted for its fearless reporting of political affairs, providing a platform for all shades of opinion within its area of operation in the Southwestern part of Nigeria.

Post a Comment

The making of a Dictator Yar'adua

I dont think he will get anywhere with this, I dont know that he has that much loyalty.

Howevere I am not suprised our foolish President is toeing this line, I dont expect much from a President happy to give away his 21yr old daughters to old men as 3rd and 4th wifes
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by DisGuy: 3:18pm On May 11, 2009
Is it just me or is a secret dictator emerging in Nigeria and we can't read the hand writtings on the wall

INEC should not control the activities of political parties and yet members of Political parties in executive position must not decamp. Who will enforce the rules? Presidency? o yea they are seeking more powers for police? and we all know the relationship between the police and the Presidency.

[size=16pt]I am waiting to see if the National Assembly allows any of these criminal bills through.[/size]

This man is too shy to campaign or compete he wants a custom rule tailored to his wishes and control. If he does no contest the next election, expect Yuguda to be the PDP leader. And is anybody wondering why Yuguda quickly decamped before the rule is changed by his father-in-law?

I am waiting to see if the national assembly allow ANY bill through!!! its been 2 years and theyve probably passed only two bills!!!
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Fhemmmy: 3:42pm On May 11, 2009
I wish Fela is still alive to come and sing for me jare.
demonstration of craziness.
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by DONFASZY(m): 4:14pm On May 11, 2009
the words of yar'adua is not from him, he is just a messenger for PDP AS A WHOLE,mind you, OBASANGO WATER FARM OWNER IS STILL RULING US, we go survive

WHAT A PITY, 2009 NIGERIANS, WE ARE STILL BACKWARD, EVEN YAR ADUA DEY SUFFER FOR NEPA LIGHT FOR ASO ROCK, NOW WEY NO FUEL, HIM DEY USE HANDFAN DEY BLOW HIM WIFE WHILE SHE IS SLEEPING, NA WA O, U NEED TO SEE HEAT RASHES FOR UR PRESIDENT FACE
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 11, 2009
where does this dellussion that Yar'adua might be a good man who has no clue what ills his administration has been doing come from?
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by bawomolo(m): 9:14pm On May 11, 2009
INEC should be given more autonomy rather than losing its powers to the Executive. The president can basically choose officials that favor his party.
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Kabikala(m): 1:12pm On May 12, 2009
It is clear to everyone that all Yar'Adua is doing is to ensure that he gets another term. That was why he had to exhume Anenih and place him as head of the Nigeria Ports Authority, which is generally known as a goldmine. That is why he refused the recommendation of the Uwais Panel on the appointment of INEC Chairman as well as the completion of electoral litigation before swearing-in. And that is why, rebranding or no rebranding, the President could not resist the urge to rig his party in for the Ekiti rerun. And that is why, all the stakeholders in the PDP has been telling everyone who cares to listen that YarAdua is the party's candidate for 2011. In fact, it will be suicidal for anyone to think of contesting for the party's presidential ticket in 2011
And that brings me to the fore one issue whihc has been bothering me, which is preferrable, an OBJ whose hypocrisy is obvious, or this gentle snake who pretends to believe in rule of law but allowed the police to be used to rig elections in Ekiti. Who fights corruption but refused to investigate Obasanjo. Who is committed to solving the Niger Delta crisis but keeps Henry Okah in solitary confinement.
With Yar'Adua, I think we may be having the greatest hypocrite that ever ruled Nigeria.
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by tunku(m): 1:18pm On May 12, 2009
Wtf, they are de-fanging an already crippled animal. If anyone should have their powers be limited is the Presidency. So why call it the Independent? If the legislators pass this bill then they must be extremely stupid.
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by bluespice(f): 1:29pm On May 12, 2009
this guy is no longer deranged
he's purely crazy yaba lost one of her patients and we allowed him to become president angry angry angry
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by janedoe(f): 9:14pm On May 12, 2009
How won't he make the phony proposal? he's used them to accomplish the only thing they're good for anyway what next but to toss them aside like the filthy rags that they are ,that is, till he needs their services again angry
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by hoeyeadoe: 9:18pm On May 12, 2009
i am fed up!!!
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Nobody: 12:33am On May 13, 2009
or does the ban on decamping have anything to do with checkmating sitting opposition Governors and PDP Governors who may want to fuse into one mega party to challenge the status quo.

This policy is an attack on freedom of association, it is also an attack on progressive politics.

The only electoral reform the country needs is that which is contained in the Justice Muhamd Uwais report.
Re: Yar'adua Proposes Reduction Of Inec's Powers. by Koye4sshow(m): 9:21am On May 13, 2009
I am of the candid opinion that the only electoral reform we need is contained in the UWAIS report. I do not understand why in this age and time, the President still has the powers to pick the chairman of INEC. I believe that is wrong - cos I was brought up to see that the guy who pays the piper dictates the tune. This is Nigeria, and the average Nigerian politician will feel a need to repay whoever put him in that office - remember I said the AVERAGE Nigerian politician. I think the first step in the right direction is for the President to relinquish his powers to some other body and let them do the job of picking INEC's chairman. In summary, what INEC needs right now is more autonomy, not this rubbish effort,

(1) (Reply)

Ogun State Governor Forced Lawmaker To Take Allegiance Oath! / Ojo Maduekwe's Son Arrested For 419 / Sanusi plans to sell Oceanic Bank To His Friends-Ibru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.