Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,671 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says (22321 Views)

FG Spends N34 Million To Feed Prisoners Daily - Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) / Goodluck Jonathan Attacks Osinbajo, Says He Has 'Leprous Fingers' / Dr. Ismaila Farouk Blasts Osinbajo; Says He’s No Saint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:01pm On Feb 02, 2018
•Say PH prison has 5000 inmates instead of 800

ABUJA—Despite its modest efforts at restoring lost primacy of Nigerian Prisons Service, the Federal Government has lamented the rot in the system, saying it will take years of sustained and continued interventions by all stakeholders to reverse the trend.

Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, stated this, yesterday, in Abuja during the official presentation of the Nigerian Prisons Survey Reports, a research work undertaken by Prisoners Rehabilitation and Welfare Action, PRAWA, in conjunction with Nigerian Prisons Service.

Osinbajo, who was represented by Minister of Interior, Gen Abdulrahman Dambazau (retd), specifically said any human being who goes into Nigerian prisons would most certainly come out as an animal.

He said: “I visited the Port Harcourt prisons yesterday (Wednesday). While I was waiting for my flight, I chose to go to the prison. What I saw is a reflection of quite a lot of things in the survey.

P-H Prison has 5000 inmates instead of 800

“The Port Harcourt prison was built in 1918, meaning it will be 100 years old this year. For a very long time, our prisons had been neglected because that prison, when it was built in 1918 was meant to contain about 800 inmates, but today it is containing over 5,000 and I find that very disturbing.

“There was no room for prisoners and anybody who goes into that place as a human being is coming out as an animal.”

While he hailed PRAWA for the survey, which he said would avail government of reliable data on which to predicate its plans for prison reforms, Osinbajo said: “Most of the inmates in the various prisons come from within the states, so there is every reason for state governors to support the Federal Government in administering the prisons service. They have to domesticate the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, ACJA.

He was quick to, however, state that a lot has recently been done for the prisons but noted that because the sector had been neglected for such a long time, it would require continued and sustained interventions to completely turn around the fortunes of the prisons service.

3,700 awaiting trial inmates

“The major issue we are facing now is the population of those awaiting trial; pre-trial detention. Of the about 5, 000 inmates I saw in Port Harcourt prisons, over 3,700 were those awaiting trial and I spoke with a few of them as I was moving and I found that very many of them had been in prisons for five years upward without going to court.

“I tried to find out some of the reasons and I think in order to deal with this issue, there is the need for Departments of Public Prosecution, DPP, in the states to look at how the processes or what kind of procedures should be adopted in prosecuting criminal cases in this country.

“Secondly, investigations by police or arrest procedures must be looked into in order to look at this situation because if investigation is poor, then prosecution will be defective.

“Third is the court, they have a lot to do in terms of criminal trials. Cases are unnecessarily adjourned, though I know that there are over-lapping problems.

Prisons are warehouses

“Prisons are warehouses for inmates brought to them. While they can do something about their environment, they cannot do something in terms of prison population because they are just warehouses.”

In his welcome address, Controller General of Nigerian Prisons Service, Ahmed Ja’afaru, said the survey report “mirrors the justice delivery process from different stakeholders in the administration of criminal justice in Nigeria.

Presenting a summary of the reports, Executive Director of PRAWA, Dr Uju Agomoh, said some of the problems confronting prison personnel are staff overwork, delayed promotion, non-availability of work tools, obsolete equipment, poor remuneration, threats by inmates and corruption.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/02/nigerian-prisons-convert-humans-animals-osinbajo-2/

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Colleverage: 7:03pm On Feb 02, 2018
angry ayama so all the chickens we have been eating are former convicts,ew this government is just staring things in the wrong direction this country don tire me

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Zonacom(m): 7:06pm On Feb 02, 2018
If you've never been on a visit to a Nigerian Prison then you might not understand what the VP is saying. Very bad place

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by saintjimos(m): 7:07pm On Feb 02, 2018
#protect_your_brother

#My_brother_is_my_brother

#south_unite
unity is d way forward
Nigeria needs new breed not recycled beings as leaders

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Mogidi: 7:09pm On Feb 02, 2018
Osinbanjo is very good at identifying problems, solving them is another matter.

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by ghettowriter(m): 7:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
May God never let us see the prison walls if we are innocent!.

And also, be ready to face the jail time before you do the Crime

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by orisa37: 7:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
nigerian-prisons-convert-humans-animals-osinbajo.
Possible where Government converts Homelands to Cow Colonies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by orisa37: 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2018
nigerian-prisons-convert-humans-animals-osinbajo.
Possible where Government converts Homelands to Cow Colonies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by visijo(m): 7:18pm On Feb 02, 2018
God answer my prayer.. I repeat I will be the last person to visit police station on any issue.. Lord lead me not into temptation. Amen

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by lordsharks(m): 7:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
So he's just knowing
Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Ayodejioak(m): 7:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
I strongly believe too

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by imbless: 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2018
VP have good eyes when it comes to figuring out problems, but not proffering a solution to d problems is an aftermath of d senile dullard we have as d president.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by bankyblue(m): 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2018
So what his e doing about that? Shy his a SAN and also a VP.....he should release those awaiting trials

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
APC administration is all about talk without any tangible and visible action angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by finest0007(m): 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
Almost 3 years in power and he's just realizing this. Wow. Breaking news.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by mamatayour(f): 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
Confirm + correct talk.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by ominilongest(m): 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
HELL ON EARTH!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Lanretoye(m): 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
instead of them to work,na to dey lament.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Nobody: 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
Ododo oro
Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by johnstar(m): 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
Mogidi:

Der mata juz tire me

Make dm solve d problem, e dey hard dm

Na only mouth dm get

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by joystickextend1(m): 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
okay

Meanwhile guys check out my profile for your extender products and other adult fantasy toys
Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Yeeyo: 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
Mr V - President shut up, people are dieing like a chicken under your government you said nothing over it but you can see prisoners are sufferings rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by zombieHUNTER: 7:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
Buhari prison is the worst

It's called Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by silento(m): 7:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
that moment you don't know what moment to use

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by lexy2014: 7:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
finest0007:
Almost 3 years in power and he's just realizing this. Wow. Breaking news.
real breaking news 4a professor of law&a SAN

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Lordspicy(m): 7:24pm On Feb 02, 2018
What are you going to do about it Mr pastor lawyer vice president?
you dey tell normal citizens make wetin happen kwanu?
yeye dey smell
Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by zombieHUNTER: 7:24pm On Feb 02, 2018
Mogidi:

Buhari go allow am?
Don't blame the spare tire

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by chloride6: 7:24pm On Feb 02, 2018
Parole system

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by Factfinder1(m): 7:25pm On Feb 02, 2018
And still dey won't do anything about it

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by bigass123(m): 7:25pm On Feb 02, 2018
Nigeria prisons are best described as mini hell.
Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by LegitBoy(m): 7:25pm On Feb 02, 2018
I voted for this government because I know the innovations brought by Osinbajo during his tenure as the AG of lagos state. That's why they are ahead in their administration of justice but to say I'm yet to see anything is an understatement. I'm not disappointed in Buhari because I wasn't expecting anything I judt thought the technocrats around him would have helped him.. .but they have all failed.

2019 is here.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prisons Convert Humans To Animals - VP Osinbajo Says by hardywaltz(m): 7:26pm On Feb 02, 2018
What

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Killings: We Don’t Have Enough Soldiers To Guard Every M’belt Village, Says FG / Otuekong Idongesit Nkanga Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (Ex Governor Akwa Ibom) / Dele Alake: The Same Alphabeta People Complain Of Is Used By Opposition States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.