Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly (17587 Views)

Sirika Arranged With Ethiopian Air To Use Risky Planes For Nigeria Air - Sagay / Presidency Says CNG To Cost ₦‎230 Per Kg / FACTCHECK: One Litre Of Fuel In Nigeria To Cost N462 Without Subsidy? Unlikely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by edunwablog: 5:59am On Sep 23, 2018
Except for its indefinite suspension last Wednesday, the national carrier, Nigeria Air, was to cost Nigeria at least N180b yearly for the next 10 years, operators have said.

Local airlines operators, who are privy to the actual business design, as well as, the cost implications said the financial commitment, weaved into the five per cent equity, was mandatory to keep the airline up and running.Even though the Minister of State for Aviation Hadi Sirika did not give reasons for the suspension of the airline, which he earlier said would takeoff on December 24, 2018, The Guardian’s investigation showed that the development was not unconnected with investors’ apathy, ownership structure and funding issues.

It was further learnt that the huge financial request forced the last Federal Executive Council (FEC) to drop Nigeria Air off the priority list, since it was not budgeted for anywhere.While the operators described the indefinite suspension of the launch as a step in the right direction, sources hinted that over a billion naira had been sunk into the business case design, work by the transaction advisory team in the last two years, and unveiling of the logo in London recently.

According to the Chairman of the Airlines Operators of Nigeria (AON), Capt. Nogie Meggison, setting up an airline requires huge capital investment and that explains why national carriers are no long fashionable around the world. Meggison said it was in this light that AON continued to call for a rethink, especially given the tough economic situation in the country and the fact that “it is a moribund idea”

Meggison said: “Setting up of National Carrier will cost Nigeria at least N1.08t ($3b). A single Boeing 777 as of today costs about N115.2b ($320m).“Is it wise and should it be our priority as a nation to take $3b from our coffers today and put into a venture that will for sure go down the drain within a maximum of five years it will take to establish a national carrier?

Also, bear in mind that the national carrier will need an additional cash injection of N180bn ($500m) subsidy per year on average for the next 10 years to keep the airline afloat, while about 97 per cent of the 200 million Nigerian masses today are grappling for the basic necessities of life; food, shelter, electricity, water, education and good roads,” he said.

Sharing AON’s view that owning a national airline because of national pride is out of vogue because it is capital intensive is Chief Executive Officer of Topbrass Aviation Services, Capt. Roland Iyayi. Iyayi said: “Just recently, the South African government had to inject $2m into the South African Airways, but how many times will a government be bailing out a national airline? There was a time Alitalia was bailed out by the Italian government, and when it found out that it was no longer tenable, it turned to privatisation.

“I am a businessman. If I have already lost $5m and I see that my continued exposure to the same enterprise would amount to $100m loss, I would choose, which of the two options is cheaper for me. And that will be $5. Meaning that no matter how much the government has expended now, it will be pittance to what it will lose in the long term. For me, I would stop now instead of doing something that is not sustainable.”

The Federal Government in July unveiled the name and logo of the proposed national carrier, Nigeria Air, at the Farnborough International Public Airshow in London. As contained in the Outline Business Case (OBC) approved by the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC) and disclosed to the public, the airline is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project, with 95 per cent share pushed to investors while the government will own the rest.To get the new national carrier start off, the government will be injecting N3.168b ($8.8m) as the startup capital. It was learnt that the N3.2b is part-payment for the government’s five per cent equity in the investment, whose takeoff fund in the next three years of operation has been put at N108b ($300m).

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/09/nigeria-air-to-cost-nation-n180b-yearly.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by FarahAideed: 6:30am On Sep 23, 2018
Well Buhari set a record of being the first lifeless dullard of a president to launch an airline logo

147 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Naijaguy12345(m): 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018

Whoever is behind this project need his/her head slapped. 180 Billion Naira is a lot of money to be wasted when we know the history of Nigeria and poor management.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by noahnaira: 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018
Ok
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Doerstech(m): 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018
Chimmmmm the idoits that were pushing this for pride sake didn't they do simply due diligence assessment on this poo? my guss

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Dandsome: 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018
Chai
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018
The government should get their acts together about this airline issue.
Yes, many bad things happened in the past concerning this, (FFK, the noise maker can testify how and why)
It's 's time to figure out the way forward.
That is the change we voted for.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by id4sho(m): 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018
This BARBEQUE seller above me is back from work, Ayam not understanding. is he coming or going.

Hope it is not what am thinking, NIGERIA AIR is in the account books. Bad boys are already feeding fat while physically there's nothing to show about it. The kind of monumental kwarruption that is yet to shock Nigerians after this Deadbeat slow poke lifeless PMB drops eeeh.

#BACKTODAURA

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by sacajawea: 6:45am On Sep 23, 2018
We don't have Money, let's keep this one first
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by inoki247: 6:46am On Sep 23, 2018
okay
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by ashebbi: 6:46am On Sep 23, 2018
:Pq
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by deedy111: 6:46am On Sep 23, 2018
Crap!!
I pity those who believed in this shity government even In this poo called giant of Africa

Rubbish blah blah aviation nonsense innuendo

Bought plane ladder to deceive Nigerians but no plane,
And some will still vote the kataguan into government.

I dey vex this morning abeg

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by arantess: 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
Bullet dodged
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Lovelife433(m): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
edunwablog:

Except for its indefinite suspension last Wednesday, the national carrier, Nigeria Air, was to cost Nigeria at least N180b yearly for the next 10 years, operators have said.

Local airlines operators, who are privy to the actual business design, as well as, the cost implications said the financial commitment, weaved into the five per cent equity, was mandatory to keep the airline up and running.Even though the Minister of State for Aviation Hadi Sirika did not give reasons for the suspension of the airline, which he earlier said would takeoff on December 24, 2018, The Guardian’s investigation showed that the development was not unconnected with investors’ apathy, ownership structure and funding issues.

It was further learnt that the huge financial request forced the last Federal Executive Council (FEC) to drop Nigeria Air off the priority list, since it was not budgeted for anywhere.While the operators described the indefinite suspension of the launch as a step in the right direction, sources hinted that over a billion naira had been sunk into the business case design, work by the transaction advisory team in the last two years, and unveiling of the logo in London recently.

According to the Chairman of the Airlines Operators of Nigeria (AON), Capt. Nogie Meggison, setting up an airline requires huge capital investment and that explains why national carriers are no long fashionable around the world. Meggison said it was in this light that AON continued to call for a rethink, especially given the tough economic situation in the country and the fact that “it is a moribund idea”

Meggison said: “Setting up of National Carrier will cost Nigeria at least N1.08t ($3b). A single Boeing 777 as of today costs about N115.2b ($320m).“Is it wise and should it be our priority as a nation to take $3b from our coffers today and put into a venture that will for sure go down the drain within a maximum of five years it will take to establish a national carrier?

Also, bear in mind that the national carrier will need an additional cash injection of N180bn ($500m) subsidy per year on average for the next 10 years to keep the airline afloat, while about 97 per cent of the 200 million Nigerian masses today are grappling for the basic necessities of life; food, shelter, electricity, water, education and good roads,” he said.

Sharing AON’s view that owning a national airline because of national pride is out of vogue because it is capital intensive is Chief Executive Officer of Topbrass Aviation Services, Capt. Roland Iyayi. Iyayi said: “Just recently, the South African government had to inject $2m into the South African Airways, but how many times will a government be bailing out a national airline? There was a time Alitalia was bailed out by the Italian government, and when it found out that it was no longer tenable, it turned to privatisation.

“I am a businessman. If I have already lost $5m and I see that my continued exposure to the same enterprise would amount to $100m loss, I would choose, which of the two options is cheaper for me. And that will be $5. Meaning that no matter how much the government has expended now, it will be pittance to what it will lose in the long term. For me, I would stop now instead of doing something that is not sustainable.”

The Federal Government in July unveiled the name and logo of the proposed national carrier, Nigeria Air, at the Farnborough International Public Airshow in London. As contained in the Outline Business Case (OBC) approved by the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC) and disclosed to the public, the airline is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project, with 95 per cent share pushed to investors while the government will own the rest.To get the new national carrier start off, the government will be injecting N3.168b ($8.8m) as the startup capital. It was learnt that the N3.2b is part-payment for the government’s five per cent equity in the investment, whose takeoff fund in the next three years of operation has been put at N108b ($300m).

https://www.akelicious.net/2018/09/nigeria-air-to-cost-nation-n180b-yearly.html
ok but buhari must go

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by sammyj: 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
Why start what you can’t sustain in the first place .somebody need to pay for starting this incompetence in the first place.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Successdude(m): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
Happy Sunday guys...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
and how much profit in returns, if nil then no point wasting much money on an aircraft even our criminal politicians will not board. nobody trust anything being managed/maintained by Nigerian government
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by thinkdip(m): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
B
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by SOLUTION99(m): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2018
JUST 180B NA WHY UNA CANCEL AM WHILE TINUBU, AMAECHI AND SARAKI CAN FUND THAT PROJECT WITHOUT STRESS.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by rock003: 6:48am On Sep 23, 2018
And how much will they make yearly as profit...... or loss?
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by CheapDataGuy: 6:48am On Sep 23, 2018
Abeq no be by force to get airways oo. Use tht money do another better thing

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by nzeobi(m): 6:48am On Sep 23, 2018
this is what you get when you plan poorly and appoint empty heads in your government.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by stano2(m): 6:48am On Sep 23, 2018
Rubbish!!!!
is it more than what our politicians loot yearly

Those countries who own an airline, are we not richer than some of them??

They don't have a plan in place, nothing that will benefit the future generations to come is taken seriously in this country

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Reference(m): 6:48am On Sep 23, 2018
Giving air to what I have said. A money pit. QED.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by AZeD1(m): 6:49am On Sep 23, 2018
It was a stupid idea in the first and there are things you don't do in the name of pride ; starting an airline tops that list.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Smile4daddy(m): 6:49am On Sep 23, 2018
Second hand airline undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Gabriel004: 6:49am On Sep 23, 2018
180b kini

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by yrex01(m): 6:50am On Sep 23, 2018
9ja will b great !!!
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by SarakiBukola: 6:50am On Sep 23, 2018
grin

So why lie like it was something close to take off?

Every Government does propaganda but Buhari's own, they rely too much on it and still do it badly

Get Fine Arts / Graphic Arts students to do a logo with maximum 500k - 1million prize.

Select top staff of Ministry of Aviation to do the assessment of the logo and viability of the business for FREE (it's their job, after all)

At the end the FG would have wasted N 5 million on a failed investment instead of billions angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by wayne4loan: 6:50am On Sep 23, 2018
shocked buhari,the great scammer

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by emmie14: 6:50am On Sep 23, 2018
"Except for its indefinite suspension last Wednesday, the national carrier, Nigeria Air, was to cost Nigeria at least N180b yearly for the next 10 years, operators have said" op why are you posting these trash when you are aware of the suspension. Let your time and energy be useful to mankind
Re: Nigeria Air To Cost Nation N180b Yearly by Lomprico2: 6:50am On Sep 23, 2018
When Oby castigated them, idiots that know nothing were insulting her. Now una see am?

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ben Bruce Eulogizes Goodluck Jonathan / Immigration Denies Mosopefoluwa Odeseye Passport Renewal Over #EndSARS Protest / Abdulrashid Maina Absconds To Singapore.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.