Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,110 members, 7,842,217 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon (9377 Views)

Ayan De First-Mr Culture Performs For King Charles III For The 3rd Time / Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / "I Haven’t Adopted The Title Of An Emir" - Oluwo Of Iwo Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:45pm On May 05, 2020
Yes i do bro,this isn't your first time be bold to accept you're wrong first it was "eurocentrism now is rhetoric lol
Amujale:

You do not know the meaning of etymology.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:47pm On May 05, 2020
How many have you sited,you peddle up afrocentrist claim and disprove of accepted historical evidence with excuse of "eurocentrism" and am the one to cite sources
Amujale:

Again rhetoric.

Site one example of the sources that fit into that category and let me break you up with facts.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 5:47pm On May 05, 2020
RamessesIV:
..says the eurocentric who has "issues" with "sub"

Noone is taking you seriously anymore, you can jog along now.

These are the two questiond you have failed to answer because you know you are wrong and are an agent of chaos.

I dont want to hear anything from you untik you answer these two questions

1)What is the meaning of 'sub' as a prefix?

2) Does you refer to yourself as a 'negroid'?
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:49pm On May 05, 2020
Dude stop trying to argue read my post I answered your question same way the other 5 times,you are just trying to gaslight

Throwing around words don't move me,you have been avoiding and picking parts of my post to argue with,just the same way you will pretend not to see where I answered your question again

Amujale:

See guys, this is how to spot the agents.

One simple question he fails completely.

He has been running his mouth and cannot answer one simple question.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:52pm On May 05, 2020
I have already trashed you with that "sub" argument i don't have time to repeat myself go back and reflect on my post and answer my questions on the prefix of "middle" and "minor"

Yes I do how many times will i repeat it

Again stop picking parts of my post to argue with you have been avoiding answers and using sentiments to avoid credibility,your words won't save you if you like go on your sentimental rant I will be ready for you
Amujale:

These are the two questiond you have failed to answer because you know you are wrong and are an agent of chaos.

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:54pm On May 05, 2020
Taking me serious and you think you were one to be taken serious I can list out the nonsense claims you have been parroting since

Lol why don't you answer all my questions that you have skipped under "eurocentrism" lol dude thinks he has been making sense since

Better go along and brush up on your claims at least so you can sound credible
Amujale:

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 5:55pm On May 05, 2020
RamessesIV:

Lol you people on this app,lol first you parrot afrocentric bs from books without credible backings...

Amujale: Again rhetoric.

Site one example of the sources that fit into that category and let me break you up with facts.

RamessesIV:
How many have you sited,you peddle up afrocentrist claim ...

It seems you are also suffering from amnesia.

You tell so many lies, peddle so much rhetoric that you cannot keep up with yourself.

And i am saying cite one example that fits into that category.

I expect nothing but rhetoric as your response.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 5:57pm On May 05, 2020
RamessesIV:
I have already trashed you with that "sub" ...

Amujale:

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 5:59pm On May 05, 2020
Keep gaslighting,is this the best you can do first it was "eurocentric" i dusted you now is "rhetoric" lol now is cite lol bro stay in one place and defend your claims,if you don't have the range for further engagement then say so,I have disproven your claims over and over and it seems you are the ones finding it hard to keep up but don't worry bro I got you
Amujale:

It seems you are also suffering from amnesia.

You tell so many lies, peddle so much rhetoric that you cannot keep up with yourself.

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 6:00pm On May 05, 2020
Bro go and answer my question on "middle" and " minor"

Stop gaslighting if you are tired say so,can't defend one single thing but keep asking questions to get thrashed
Amujale:

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 6:04pm On May 05, 2020
RamessesIV:

Lol you people on this app,lol first you parrot afrocentric bs from books without credible backings...

RamessesIV:

Amujale: It seems you are also suffering from amnesia.

RamessesIV:
Keep gaslighting,is this the best you can do first it was "eurocentric" i dusted you now is "rhetoric" lol now is cite lol bro stay in one place and defend your claims,if you don't have the range for further engagement then say so,I have disproven your claims over and over and it seems you are the ones finding it hard to keep up but don't worry bro I got you

Exactly what i expected rhetoric.

No content

No substance

No nothing.

You make a claim and cant hold it up, instead you result to rhetoric.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 6:09pm On May 05, 2020
Keep gaslighting ohhh,bro show me one of your claims you have backed up

Yeah i should be the one going back and forth I have trashed you on the "sub" and even left a question for you and you ran away,the "negroid" I trashed you over 10 times and you are still expecting me to continue

"Eurocentric" "rhetoric" bro you are the sentimental one without sources to back up their claims hence you go sentimental when you can't prove or have your claims challenged

As I said keep the gaslighting keep coming it seems you no longer have the range so keep gaslighting lol no content and I have been thrashing you since
Amujale:

Exactly what i expected rhetoric.

No content

No substance

No nothing.

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 6:14pm On May 05, 2020
RamessesIV:

"Eurocentric" "rhetoric" bro you are the sentimental one without sources to back up their claims hence you go sentimental when you can't prove or have your claims challenged

I have asked you to cite one example whereby i have provide information that requires sources whereby i havent provided such.

Can you keep quite now and stop trying to derail the thread with your lies.

You claim i havent provided sources for the facts that crack you up. Cite those examples.

Its you that relies on Eurocentric rhetoric.

As i said earlier you suffer from inferiority complex and an acute form of Stockolm syndrome.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 6:20pm On May 05, 2020
More gaslighting

And I have told you to go back and read on our previous conversations you don't expect me to keep repeating myself

Bro if you don't have the range say so,go back and see how many of your claims i have trashed,lol dude trying to twist his way out

Go back to our first arguments you have been avoiding a lot of my questions,and you expect me to go back and forth on the same topic

"Eurocentric" blah blah ain't you tired of that

Inferiority complex indeed ontop thread lol
Amujale:

I have asked you to cite one example whereby i have provide information that requires sources whereby i havent provided such.

You claim i havent provided sources for the facts that crack you up. Cite those examples.

As i said earlier you suffer from inferiority complex and an acute form of Stockolm syndrome.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 6:23pm On May 05, 2020
Cheikh Anta Diop was a Senegalese historian, anthropologist, physicist, and politician who studied the human origins and pre-colonial African culture.

Cheikh Anta Diop also had degrees in chemistry and in nuclear physics. In 1966 he created the first African laboratory for radiocarbon dating with the university now named after him.

In other words, similar to Professor Akintoye, Cheikh Anta Diop is more qualified to narrate African history then any Asian or European historian anywhere in the world and at anytime in human history.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 6:39pm On May 05, 2020
RamessesIV:

RamessesIV:

Amujale: It seems you are also suffering from amnesia.

RamessesIV:

Amujale: Exactly what i expected rhetoric.

No content

No substance

No nothing.

RamessesIV:

Amujale: I have asked you to cite one example whereby i have provide information that requires sources whereby i havent provided such.

RamessesIV:
More gaslighting

And I have told you to go back and read on our previous conversation..

First off, stop lieing.

Actually take the time to read our previous conversation.

Secondly, that isnt how it works.

You make a false claim, i pull you up for it.

Once you are pulled up for a false claim, you are obliged to defend your initial claim, you cannot just make a false claim and carry on with your rhetoric.

That is the way it works.

Again, take the time to read our full conversation from the point i pulled you up.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by RamessesIV(m): 7:24pm On May 05, 2020
False claims,lol i like how you go about with false claims,i have debunked alot of your claims and you gaslight with "eurocentrism",i don't make any false claims you are the ones who does that,go back on our previous conversations i have answered your questions more than once and am not going to repeat my self just for you gaslight with "eurocentrism" rhetoric" blah blah again,i literally gave you the history of the term "Caucasoid" which is even "eurocentrism 101" and you said it was rhetoric,nah I don't have to go back and forth with your sentimental questions i have answered your questions on "sub" and "negroid" yet you still gaslighted trying to save Face as I said come up with something better.
Amujale:

First off, stop lieing.

Actually take the time to read our previous conversation.

Secondly, that isnt how it works.

You make a false claim, i pull you up for it.

Once you are pulled up for a false claim, you are obliged to defend your initial claim, you cannot just make a false claim and carry on with your rhetoric.

That is the way it works.

Again, take the time to read our full conversation from the point i pulled you up.
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Amujale(m): 3:53pm On May 11, 2020
RamessesIV:

Amujale:

And again you are wrong.

There are no such thing as race classification.

As there's no such thing as multi-race.

Theres only one race of significance, they call it the Human Race.

Even if we was to go along with the so-called classification, the term 'Negroid' is:

Invalid.
Null and Void.
Squashed
Quashed

Rather than using such a term, you would be better using African, Kush, Ethiopian, Nubian e.t.c these are all the terminologies that foreigners used to refer to blacksic.

Again lets not derail this thread.

For further discussion, follow the link here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5795996/african-origin-civilisation
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by LorrdSky: 4:29am On May 12, 2020
[s]
scholes0:

Stop fooling yourself. They were all inferior to Binis because at the apex of the Benin kingdom was the Benin royal court and chieftain followed by the Benin people. That is why Benin did not allow any other traditional ruler in that area to bear OBA as a title. Something they themselves got from the Yorubas. That is why they would use urhobos as human sacrifice and why they would sell Afemais into slavery.

The entire Benin court culture was imported from Yorubaland. grin Oba as a word for the paramount ruler DOES NOT exist in any Edoid language but Benin. What you will see is Ojie, Ogie, Ovie Etc... and even in Benin there are still two words Oba and Ogie.
A Benin troupe still performed 'Ijesu N'Ogie' or 'Jesus is King' at my company's december gala. That is the default word for king in the Benin language EXCEPT when they are specifically referring to the palace court of the Omonoba which then they use 'Oba'.
[/s]
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by oyatz(m): 11:21am On Mar 09, 2021
scholes0:

Stop fooling yourself. They were all inferior to Binis because at the apex of the Benin kingdom was the Benin royal court and chieftain followed by the Benin people. That is why Benin did not allow any other traditional ruler in that area to bear OBA as a title. Something they themselves got from the Yorubas. That is why they would use urhobos as human sacrifice and why they would sell Afemais into slavery.

The entire Benin court culture was imported from Yorubaland. grin Oba as a word for the paramount ruler DOES NOT exist in any Edoid language but Benin. What you will see is Ojie, Ogie, Ovie Etc... and even in Benin there are still two words Oba and Ogie.
A Benin troupe still performed 'Ijesu N'Ogie' or 'Jesus is King' at my company's december gala. That is the default word for king in the Benin language EXCEPT when they are specifically referring to the palace court of the Omonoba which then they use 'Oba'.

What a brilliant analysis!
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by oyatz(m): 11:28am On Mar 09, 2021
Edeyoung:

Wow so oromiyan left the ooni of ife and called benin king 'oba' meaning king..... Lol

Again why did oromiyan do this.....?

Why didnt eledumare crown ooni as king(oba) rightfully king, literally ooni means king anyhow you are putting it

Kaybiyesi :must not be questioned, royal highnes, king,and so on..... it is a genral word the yoruba use to adress thier king unlike thier respective title that alone should have made yorubas adopt the wold kabiyesi for kingship in a general term

Oba in benin does not mean king literally liks you equate kaybesi but it is representing king in benin, oba literally means[b] to shine[/b] illustriously it represents the topmost ruler of benin
So kaybesi could have gone like that too

Why did oromiyan leave the other yorubas and called oba of benin king?

Long before Oduduwa reigned in Ile-Ife, several kings that were later deitified reigned in Ile-Ife and they had the word Oba as prefixes to their names e.g OBAtala, OBAlufon, OBAlufe etc.

Kabiyesi doesn't mean king but an appellation to show the powers of the king , literally meaning 'question him not'

1 Like

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Christistruth00: 3:08am On Jan 08, 2022
cool
Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by Teejay2033: 2:14am On Apr 11
gregyboy:
The name omo n' oba n'igodo ukwakpolopolo ”the child that shines for the igodomigodo people and the only great one"
This was the original title of the king of benin before it was igodo was later replaced by the word edo after the time of oba ewuare

It later shortened into omo n' oba( the child that shines) for easy pronouncing later in shortened to be oba by the Portuguese.....

'Omo N'Oba N'Edo' translates to "the son of the king in Edo." Originally, it was "Omo Oba ni Ado," signifying the connection between Ife and Benin, highlighting the Oba of Benin's lineage from the Oba of Ile-Ife. In ancient times, "Ado" referred to Edo as called by Ile-Ife.

The African kings of olds used to have lengthy names most of this names where like sentences

So calling the king of benin oba does not not reflect his full name and i bet the title omo n' oba n'godo ukuakpolopolo cannot be a Yoruba word or sentence
Because even the word oba in the title meant shinny and not king as the yorubas intend it to be...... Since the yorubas were third party callers of the word oba they felt the word oba meant king since it was representing a king in benin

Today the edo people can still agree with me the older ones still refer to the benin king as omo n' oba when having a discussion about him....

The word oba which the Portuguese shortened to refer to the oba was later introduced to the vassal yoruba state who later adopted it and begslan including in the title for kings while been adrsssed.....

It should be noted the benin people have a good number if edo indigeenes all over yoruba areas it installed its monarchy the edo kings in yoruba areas should be more than 30 some were even lost and yorubanised.

Edo people know your history.......

Dont let the conquered tell you they installed thier kings in your stoool

Egharevba was a benin historian who had first weote about orun oba ado out of myth when the site were dugged by nothing was found
Inside......

Re: How Come The Title Of Oba Became The General Word For King In All Yoruba Lexicon by productsrules(m): 3:22pm On Apr 11
Headen Fortunes In Cassava Tuber

Do you know that you can turn cassava tuber to industrial liquid laundry starch and make fortunes.
With little capital in your hand and little space in your kitchen, you can successfully produce liquid laundry starch from cassava tuber with high quality standard that will be of high demand in the market, I mean the kind of liquid laundry starch that people will beg you with money to buy from you, yes they will beg to buy from you.

Presently I can't even meet up with demand, why because this product is hot cake for dry cleaning outfit they can't do without it, they will have to apply liquid laundry starch to every washed fabric for further customer patronage and I bet you, only few knows about the original recipe for this unique product. [Liquid laundry starch].

Engaging yourself in production of liquid laundry starch will give you fortune,
It will give you %100 return on investment, I mean if you invested just 20,000. your profit after all expenses will equate to 20,000.You can position yourself to be one major producer of this unique liquid laundry starch creat fortune for yourself.

If you care to know more,

chat me up through (zero eight zero six four six five four one one six) for details.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shehu Of Dikwa, Mohammed El-Kanemi Dies At 79 / Who Is The Strongest Igwe In Igbo Land. / I Would Like To Know Some About Igbo Traditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.