Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,044 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Nigerian Football, Going Down? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Football, Going Down? (262 Views)

Nigerian Football Players And Their Wives/Girlfriends (Photos) / Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / Why We Booed Dele Alli - Nigerian Football Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Football, Going Down? by Day169: 9:08pm On May 15, 2023
Hello fellas, who has noticed Nigeria's dwindling fortunes in world football?
From the 40th position in FIFA's men rankings to 42nd in the women's.
The country's male senior team failed to make it to the world cup last year and the under-17 team recently did the same in Algeria.
I also observed that Nigerian players occupy presently, relegation threatened teams in the English Premiership. From Onuachu in Southampton, to Ndidi and Iheanacho in Leicester, Iwobi at Everton and Awoniyi in Nottingham Forest.
What could be responsible for this trend?
Re: Nigerian Football, Going Down? by lordm(m): 10:03pm On May 15, 2023
They are not talented
Re: Nigerian Football, Going Down? by Day169: 8:48am On May 16, 2023
lordm:
They are not talented
I believe it goes beyond the talents these players have.
Nigerian football is replete with talents.
Re: Nigerian Football, Going Down? by franklemo: 11:36pm On May 16, 2023
I think the current crop of players lack commitment and are not ready to take any risks to achieve good results. Nothing is worth dying for in Nigeria. I also can’t rule out the inexperience of coaching crew and the home based players as they always fail to align with their foreign based counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Football, Going Down? by Day169: 9:53am On May 18, 2023
franklemo:
I think the current crop of players lack commitment and are not ready to take any risks to achieve good results. Nothing is worth dying for in Nigeria. I also can’t rule out the inexperience of coaching crew and the home based players as they always fail to align with their foreign based counterparts.
You've got a point there. Nigeria has in recent years had the misfortune of hiring coaches with little or no pedigree. Take a look at the current coach of the senior team. I'm in doubt if the nation has won any competitive game since being hired, and like you highlighted, corruption is the bane of Nigeria's very existence! angry

(1) (Reply)

Olympian Okorodudu Dies, Hospital Seizes Corpse Over Unpaid N.6m / Premier League Legends In Their Prime - Start Two, Bench One, Drop One. / Bendel Insurance Vs Asochlef Of Algeria Preview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.