Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman (9942 Views)

Lauretta Onochie Confirmed As NDDC Chairman / President Buhari Nominates Lauretta Onochie As NDDC Chairman / Supreme Court Rules In Suit Seeking Sack Of Bulkachuwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by ogugwa1992: 10:18pm On Feb 28
Some communities in Delta State have indicated interest to join in a suit seeking the removal of Mr Chiedu Ebie as Chairman of the Board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

Recall that some communities in Bayelsa State had asked a Federal High Court in Abuja, to nullify the appointment of Mr Chiedu Ebie as NDDC boss, on the grounds that he was wrongly appointed by President Bola Tinubu.

According to the plaintiffs, Ebie was not qualified to occupy the seat of Board Chairman haven not come from, "the oil producing area with the highest
quantum of oil production".

The plaintiffs, Chief Goodnews Gereghewei, Chief Eddy Brayei and Mr Jonah Engineyouwei, who sued on behalf of themselves and Bisangbene, Agge and Amatu1 communities in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, had dragged President Tinubu, Senate President, Attorney-General of the Federation, NDDC and Ebie as 1st to 5th respondents respectively to court over the appointment of the NDDC board chairman.

At the last sitting earlier in the month, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik fixed March 12, for hearing, after confirming service of the suit on all respondents.

However, some oil producing communities in the Gbaramatu Kingdom in Delta State, have indicated that they will soon commence formal process to be joined as an interested party in the suit.

In a statement over the weekend, the communities said the move is to register their displeasure over the way and manner in which President Bola Ahmed Tinubu appointed Mr. Chiedu Ebie as the NDDC Board Chairman.

Mr Jerry Mulade-Aroh, who spoke on behalf of Host Communities after a meeting in Warri, Delta State said, "we were extremely happy to find out that our neighbouring Oil producing communities in Bayelsa State has challenged the faulty process leading to the appointment of Mr. Chiedu Ebie as the Board Chairman of Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) in Federal High Court at Abuja.

"Mr. Chiedu Ebie hails from Agbor-Alidinma Community in Ika South Local Government area, Delta State. It is imperative to state that Mr Chiedu, community, has no functional and producing oil wells that qualified him to be appointed as Chairman in line with the NDDC act 2000.

"We from the Delta Oil producing communities are interested parties in this matter, and we are set to file for joinder in that suit. And we shall always organize a protest to that effect in Abuja to draw the attention of Mr President and the general public particularly Niger Delta.

Also speaking, Mr Jolomi Itsekure, who spoke on behalf of Itsekiri Oil and Gas producing communities in the State, described the appointment as an injustice, oppression, and a wrong precedent that should not be allowed to stand.

"Our rights and opportunities can not be used as political compensation. Therefore, we call on Mr. President to withdraw his appointment and follow due process.

"Furthermore, we have qualified persons from the core Oil Producing communities who have the requisite qualification in line with the guidelines set out in the NDDC Act 2000 for such an executive appointment.

Hon Friday Ugedi, a youth leaders from Egbema Kingdom in Warri North LGA, asserted that "This are some of the major reasons and causes of unrest in the region by imposing unqualified persons from non oil and gas producing areas to govern us simply because we don’t have godfathers", he added.

In the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/28/2024, dated and filed January 11, 2024, the plaintiffs are claiming that both President Tinubu and the National Assembly contravened the NDDC Act by screening and appointing Ebie Chiedu as NDDC Board Chairman.

They submitted that although the 5th defendant is from an oil producing State " thus by the provisions of the law he is unqualified for
appointment as the chairman of the 4th defendant's board because his not from the highest oil producing areas.

In the affidavit deposed to in support of the suit, the plaintiffs averred that Ebie's appointment "was done in error and is against the clear provisions of the law.

"That the screening and confirmation of the 5th defendant by the Nigerian Senate was also done in error and was against the clear provisions of the law.

"That as a result of the facts above and in particular the facts in paragraphs 2 - 11, the appointment of the 5th defendant is null, void and of no effect".

The plaintiffs through their lawyer, B. B. Abalaba, are therefore asking the court to determine whether the 5th defendant who is from a community with minimal oil production is qualifed to be the chairman of the 4th defendant (Niger Delta Development
Commission)?

Other issues raised for determination are: Whether the appointment of the 5th defendant by the 1st defendant as the chairman of the 4th defendant is not in contravention of the NDDC Act?

"Whether the appointment of the 5th defendant by the 1st defendant as the chairman of the 4th defendant is not Illegal null and void?

They therefore prayed the court for an order "setting aside the appointment of the 5th defendant as the chairman of the
4th defendant by the 1s defendant.

"An order of injunction restraining the 5th defendant from assuming office or in any way acting as the chairman of the 4th defendant.

"An order of injunction restraining the 4th defendant from recognizing the 5th
defendant as its chairman or allowing him access into its premises for the purpose of beginning or continuing work as its chairman.

"An order of injunction restraining the 5th defendant from holding himself out as the chairman of the 4th defendant".

https://leaders.ng/2024/02/28/more-communities-to-join-in-suit-seeking-sack-of-ebie-as-nddc-chairman/

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by saintruky(m): 10:40pm On Feb 28
@Samtino no vex say i emilokan this ftc... Like my first abi second FTC of my 16yrs membership on Nairaland...

This one strong o..

na Okowayo brother sef...

If him village nor get that status, then h has to step aside...

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Samtino(m): 10:41pm On Feb 28
First to comment today
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Simonjef: 10:41pm On Feb 28
Nddc is not doing much for her people

4 Likes

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Fidinno(m): 10:42pm On Feb 28
R
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by KrisUc(m): 10:44pm On Feb 28
This man was Okowa's stooge, but things turned sour at the tail end of Okowa's regime but the way Tinubu rewarded him against active APC members who have been there for a long time is surprising to me, where did they dump the mace snatcher who lost governorship elections to PDP candidate na.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by CondemnBattery(f): 10:49pm On Feb 28
If not for tribalism that has eaten up the average Nigerian, I see no big deal in appointing him, if he's qualified academically, since he's also from 9ja Delta.

I still stand on my words, that the black man is more racist than an extreme white racist.

If Africans have what the west has, they won't allow anyone drink water drop cup.

Take Nigeria for instance, Yorubas see themselves as superior to others, hausa think they own the country, the igbo man is even more accommodating.
Even the Delta I come from, the Urhobo and Itsekiri man think they own delta state, so no one else should be governor. Spits

It's not even better in places like, SA, GH, EGY, MRC, TUN, and co.

Africans, who do una this thing?

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Judolisco(m): 11:01pm On Feb 28
All NDDC people go jst dey carry money
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:10pm On Feb 28
CondemnBattery:
If not for tribalism that has eaten up the average Nigerian, I see no big deal in appointing him, if he's qualified academically, since he's also from 9ja Delta.

I still stand on my words, that the black man is more racist than an extreme white racist.

If Africans have what the west has, they won't allow anyone drink water drop cup.

Take Nigeria for instance, Yorubas see themselves as superior to others, hausa think they own the country, the igbo man is even more accommodating.
Even the Delta I come from, the Urhobo and Itsekiri man think they own delta state, so no one else should be governor. Spits

Nonsense

Where did u see me being racist undecided

As well undecided

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Dilimi: 11:20pm On Feb 28
I see no reason agitating for the sack of a man that is also from Niger Delta. Abi is delta state not part of Niger Delta too. Say no to tribalism. Ebie has come to stay.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Sirianese: 11:31pm On Feb 28

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Sirianese: 11:33pm On Feb 28
CondemnBattery:

Of course no one is superior to the other guy but it's actually the ibos who hold that mentality of superiority, you would have known this if only you made a habit of using that brain inside your skull, no matter how small it is

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by DissTroy(m): 11:44pm On Feb 28
Dilimi:
I see no reason agitating for the sack of a man that is also from Niger Delta. Abi is delta state not part of Niger Delta too. Say no to tribalism. Ebie has come to stay.

Interestingly, when an Ibibio man Nsima Ekere was made NDDC Chairman in 2016 and served till August 2018 when he resigned to contest the governorship election, the Ijaws led smear campaigns to have him removed but Buhari stood firm.

When Akpabio was made Niger Delta Minister, the Ikwerres and some other minorities (the Ibibios and Ijaws are the only majorities in the South South) through Wike led campaigns for him to be sacked. He wasn't. Oddly, he and Wike are buddies on the same boat now.

Nigerians are clannish. It's why most never complain of illegalities as long as their people head such bodies or geopolitical areas.

2 Likes

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by victorclean(f): 11:50pm On Feb 28
Senseless set of people whose oil will be valueless in few years to come with the current trends of electric and CNG cars.

Soon they will start drinking the oil
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by PHAYOL81: 12:06am On Feb 29
This is surely a matter of community interest and not merit. The oil has divided tribes more than it met them. It's sad

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by loadman: 12:50am On Feb 29
Make una allowed this man chop his own national cake from the federation called Nigeria na beg I the beg una the niger delta.
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by CountinBlessins(m): 1:08am On Feb 29
victorclean:
Senseless set of people whose oil will be valueless in few years to come with the current trends of electric and CNG cars.

Only someone from a region without oil will say this, you are either Yoruba or Hausa.

Tell me will engine oil im car engines stop because they are now electrical? Nope they will still use engine oil and grease. How about aeroplanes? Will they stop flying or machinery that runs on diesel or factories?
How about ocean vessels that run ok diesel ?

Grow up

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by nazicartel(m): 1:09am On Feb 29
Ebie don chop alone chaiii.... He should learn to share with men nah. Now he will need to stop the money they billed him before he will be freed. If they were asking him for 200b before. Now it will rise to #500b....

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Anatolia: 1:46am On Feb 29
CondemnBattery:

I support you.
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by olisaEze(m): 2:04am On Feb 29
Exercise in futility, someone should’ve told those Warri folk to save their breath. Chiedu was not appointed by Tinubu, he was appointed by Ibori their brother. While some are protesting others are already negotiating the best terms for themselves. Shouldn’t come as a surprise, there’s never been honor amongst thieves! cool
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by enemyofprogress: 4:32am On Feb 29
Village people at work

Person no even get Favorite food again 😪
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Shadomaan7: 4:48am On Feb 29
Great to see more communities standing up for justice and challenging the faulty appointment of Ebie as NDDC chairman by Tinubu.
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by ecolime(m): 5:03am On Feb 29
Ever since I was born, I am yet to see Northerners fight themselves over positions or attempt to pull each other down. It is always we Southerners.

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Chinkoalhaji34: 5:12am On Feb 29
Na so Tinubu government dey do, na wa o! Make dem leave Ebie for NDDC Chairman jor, he dey try for the work and na wetin Tinubu wan make he do.
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Whalis: 5:16am On Feb 29
DissTroy:

Interestingly, when an Ibibio man Nsima Ekere was made NDDC Chairman in 2016 and served till August 2018 when he resigned to contest the governorship election, the Ijaws led smear campaigns to have him removed but Buhari stood firm.

When Akpabio was made Niger Delta Minister, the Ikwerres and some other minorities (the Ibibios and Ijaws are the only majorities in the South South) through Wike led campaigns for him to be sacked. He wasn't. Oddly, he and Wike are buddies on the same boat now.

Nigerians are clannish. It's why most never complain of illegalities as long as their people head such bodies or geopolitical areas.
Shut your putrid mouth. Ikwerres have never agitated for anyone to be sacked as Nddc Chairman including Akpabio. If Wike stood against him it is a personal issue.
Don't make us declare you as anti-ikwerre people as most of your comments are skewed anti-ikwerres.
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by Yujin(m): 5:39am On Feb 29
ogugwa1992:

https://leaders.ng/2024/02/28/more-communities-to-join-in-suit-seeking-sack-of-ebie-as-nddc-chairman/
These people are just foolish to put it mildly. Who do they think they are to determine whether Mr. Chiedu is qualified to be NDDC Chairman or not? Is he not from Delta state? Isn't he from Niger Delta? Are there some people that are more Niger Delta than the others? They are all stupid.
Mr. Chiedu Ebie is an Anioma man and Anioma is oil producing so I wonder what they're rambling about. This is the height of stupidity. Is all Bayelsa communities oil producing? Why have these people chose to remain dense instead of growing commonsense? It is a big shame.
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by flexyrule(m): 5:48am On Feb 29
victorclean:

CNG Na product of wetin?

After you'll say "School Na Scam".
Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by membranus: 6:30am On Feb 29
CondemnBattery:

How is an Igbo man even more accommodating, when it is the other tribes that are accommodating them across the whole country?

2 Likes

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by membranus: 6:39am On Feb 29
CountinBlessins:

Only someone from a region without oil will say this, you are either Yoruba or Hausa.

Tell me will engine oil im car engines stop because they are now electrical? Nope they will still use engine oil and grease. How about aeroplanes? Will they stop flying or machinery that runs on diesel or factories?

Grow up

Yoruba has vast oil and bitumen ( which can be refined to oil) deposits in Ondo State coastal region, and the North has oil deposit in the Chad basin regions, which is now being exploited.

So educate yourself before writing inanities on this platform.

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by georgeakins: 6:41am On Feb 29
CountinBlessins:

Grow up

If you're intelligent and knowledgeable enough, you will know that aside South South, there is no region with abundance natural resources like the Yoruba land.
Even in the days of regional govt when there was no oil, South West was the richest region.

The only region without any natural resources is South East. No functional industry in ibo land.

1 Like

Re: More Communities To Join In Suit Seeking Sack Of Ebie As NDDC Chairman by tutudesz: 6:47am On Feb 29
KrisUc:
This man was Okowa's stooge, but things turned sour at the tail end of Okowa's regime but the way Tinubu rewarded him against active APC members who have been there for a long time is surprising to me, where did they dump the mace snatcher who lost governorship elections to PDP candidate na.
Na Ibori loyal boy Ebie be O! He didn't support Okowa candidate for governor

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Taraba State Governor Die In Plane Crash / Gov. Rabiu Kwankwaso Of Kano State Is Ibo? / Show Us Your Constituency Projects, Uko Nkole Challenges Sen. Ohuabunwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.