Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,560 members, 7,885,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 07:35 AM

The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work (7159 Views)

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / Tackling Depression At Work As A Productivity Strategy / Is There Something Inconsequential That People Do At Work That Irritates You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by maclatunji: 4:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . please tell me when exactly in my life I have ever been considered ". . . Docile and people took me for granted"? Please catch me up cause I have no memory of this time you speak of.

Seriously, can't someone post without someone dissect their mind over the internet?

All I said is that I am an introvert. And I never said one has to be loud to be an achiever.
There are so many out there who are loud, and at the same time achievers, and then there are those of us who are quiet and proud of the work we do.

Why does it have to be an EITHER OR situation for you? and for pete's sake did I ask you for any advice? Why do you feel the need to shove what you think and feel down my throat? Why assume you have people figured out when they respond with an opposing view to an article? I am not you. cheeezzzz!!!

grin grin grin grin grin tongue
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by lordZOUGA(m): 1:42am On Aug 11, 2012
for me... Talking is tiring... I keep silent most times because I have no idea how not to stay silent... I talk though(when arguing or when giving views on my favourite topics). Being quiet is not really a virtue... If you have an active mind, you will find it really hard to be quiet but you can be silent.
@OP, the team you described in the article above was silent.
What you probably meant was being silent... There is a slight distinction between both of them.

1 Like

Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by IBEXY(m): 8:32am On Aug 11, 2012
Unfortunately most people think quiet people are unsocial and lack team spirit. No matter how hard working you are.

If you are unlucky and work in a place that measures "team spirit" by how much you leave your seat to go chit chat with you colleagues, then you are in danger. Genuinely quiet people dont talk a lot NOT because they want to ignore but because they really dont have a lot to say naturally.

I actually heard a manager accuse one fellow of only forming bonds with his colleagues on a "need" basis. He said it was wrong. He felt the poor guy should "chit chat" more in the office to convey a more acceptable team spirit. Of course I was stunned. The person in question is hard working but clearly reserved in nature. I began to ask myself which is more important. To be loud and talkative or to be productive in terms of work done?
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by maclatunji: 10:06am On Aug 11, 2012
^Shows the lack of understanding that manager has.
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 11, 2012
@IBEXY, the manager got it all wrong
@Kobojunkie, quiet people are easily passed for wise people. They are often focused, they think before they act or speak, they are not quick to respond because they give a deep thought to issues before responding
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2012
IBEXY: Unfortunately most people think quiet people are unsocial and lack team spirit. No matter how hard working you are.

If you are unlucky and work in a place that measures "team spirit" by how much you leave your seat to go chit chat with you colleagues, then you are in danger. Genuinely quiet people dont talk a lot NOT because they want to ignore but because they really dont have a lot to say naturally.

Not just that they don't have anything to say, they probably take their time to first learn of those around them before they jump to open their mouth GBAGADA. I see myself as someone who would rather sit and listen to the stories than jump straight into a conversation without first taking time to learn who those around me are.

It is the way I learn about what makes each individual in the conversation tick. I mean people are shocked when months after a discussion, I remind them of exactly what they said so many months ago, word for word. Helps me better relate to them in the future. But in the fast-paced "team spirit" world, it does present a sort of handicap, in that while you are busy listening and learning, those around you, or your manager mistakes that for your not wanting to be part of the team, even when you are probably the best at the job.
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On Aug 11, 2012
koastar: @IBEXY, the manager got it all wrong
@Kobojunkie, quiet people are easily passed for wise people. They are often focused, they think before they act or speak, they are not quick to respond because they give a deep thought to issues before responding

Well, I don't agree with the stereotype. I believe it is wrong.
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by 1forall: 11:57pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

LOL, who might that be?

Just some random guy whose desk happens to be behind mine oh and unfortunately cant tell him my mind as it is lest I be misunderstood
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by Ishilove: 5:01am On Aug 12, 2012
lordZOUGA: for me... Talking is tiring... I keep silent most times because I have no idea how not to stay silent... I talk though(when arguing or when giving views on my favourite topics). Being quiet is not really a virtue... If you have an active mind, you will find it really hard to be quiet but you can be silent.
I am exactly like you though I disgaree with the last part of your post. I have a very active mind and it works best when I'm silent. However the kind of job I have doesn't give me much alone time. I work with children, and in that line of business, silence much of the times is a complete NO-NO
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
I see myself as a quiet guy and you know one thing I envy the loud people around me but from the analysis of this post I don't even know the school of thought to belong to again OMG
Re: The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work by violent(m): 9:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
Being quiet will only make you a "nice" guy. Nice guys are bad for business. angry

In the industry where i work, you've got to show that you've got some spit in your eye and some gravel in your guts. Being productive is great, it's why you are hired. But then you probably need more than that to move up in your career. You need a personality that shows you can deal with tough situations and manage people. You need a personality that exudes confidence....keeping quiet is not it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mathematics Or Engineering / What Is The Differnce Betwwen Regular Combatants And Short Service Commission In / How Much Does Fedex Pay For Entry Level.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.