Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,704 members, 7,965,661 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 06:11 PM

Physics Or Statistics - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Physics Or Statistics (14080 Views)

Changing Course From Economics To Accounting Or Statistics / B.sc Physics Or B.sc Mathematics / Choosing Between BSC Physics Or HND Electrical/electronics Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
op, im a graduate of stat/econs, and i can tell u that, statistics major has to similarity with computer major, only if the school does compt/stat. if u really want to do ur computer sci either u do stat and den chnage later, or u write anoda jamb and wait for ur comp sci, or beta still do statitics (only if u are brillant, stat hard well well) and do so many compuer progammes and courses. its all about making a 2.1 in dis country

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by okeyxyz(m): 3:13pm On Aug 10, 2012
I'd say take the statistics. It would help sharpen your research & analytical skills and that's one skill that'll come in handy in this world of data & information. your work opportunities are infinite. Meanwhile you can do computer science/programming by the side. You "can't" regret it.

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by oladayo042: 3:14pm On Aug 10, 2012
Study what makes you happy and you can cope with.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 10, 2012
I never knew people could major in statistics. Wait!! Statistics is closer to computer Science??!! Hold up!! I'm fina return my Diploma!!

Picking students' majors, making change of major impossible = Nigerian higher education sucks yo!!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Philolos: 3:28pm On Aug 10, 2012
jswags, it's a shame you are asked to pick between Physics and Statistics. If your desire is to study Computer Science, I suggest you keep that desire burning. There are still a lot of opportunities for aspiring Computer Science grads everywhere in the world. However, I can't say that for Physics and Statistics. Back in the day, those courses were labeled as single honors. In addition, if you are not in the West, your career options may be somewhat limited. However, with Computer Science you can become a Computer entrepreneur, software developer, hardware engineer, computer/software tester, web designer or security expert, etc. There's just a lot of opportunities within the foreseeable future. Besides my point, if you do find yourself studying physics or statistics, you can in the near future pursue other technical professions as well, Computer Science, Accountancy, Law, etc. The fact is that you have elevated yourself to the group of few that have a BSc. in any field. Good luck my friend.

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2012
okeyxyz: I'd say take the statistics. It would help sharpen your research & analytical skills and that's one skill that'll come in handy in this world of data & information. your work opportunities are infinite. Meanwhile you can do computer science/programming by the side. You "can't" regret it.
You've said it all.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Kslib(m): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
@op! if you know you really really love computer science,and would love to study it,then just accept any of the course and prepare to take jamb again..
Nothing should ever stop you from pursueing your dream 'NOTHING'.. Just be strong and accept the fact that life has it's challenges and only the brave scale through it's thorns..
Life is too short to live a lie by not pursueing your dream.. You need to start making 'HARD' decisions and when success eventually comes,y'll just look back and smile at how brave you were.
Success is sweet generally,but sweeter when achieved after scaling through it's obstacles.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
fineheart:

My dear, Physics is it! However, if you are not strong in maths, please do not go near physics as mathematics is the language of physics and as such you will be frustrated in physics if you are poor in maths. Physics offers more opportunities than statistics. I studied physics myself and I am very happy I did.
Are u in any way saying that u don't need to be good in mathematics to study statistics?
Re: Physics Or Statistics by dyoung: 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2012
go for statistic,then after your first year, u can buy change of course form for computer science.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by duality(m): 3:44pm On Aug 10, 2012
no be by wetin you study.
study anything and move on with life if you are favored and talented you'l make it.

after all no be computer science graduates apply as trailer driver for Dangote cement?
SMH
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 3:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
duality:
after all no be computer science graduates apply as trailer driver for Dangote cement?
SMH
Are u very sure of this? Are u saying that people with their hard earned Bsc/HND actually applied to be truck or trailer drivers in dangote's company? I saw the advert but thought someone was just playing some games. Education is finished in nigeria.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
CrazyMan:
I would suggest you go for stat.

Stat is kind of related to computer science. I myself I'm a computer science student, and in my 2nd year, we had some joint csc lectures with stat dept. Your data base management in csc is 75% stat.

So there's nothing to worry about just accept stat.

Physics on the other hand is related to engineering. You have courses like engin drawing, solar physics, nuclear physics, and many more.

So if you're mathematically weak, believe me, you won't survive in physics

Just weight yourself accdemically and I trust you would make the right choice.

Good luck.

In addition to that, you have to be an all-rounder person to graduate with excellent grades in Physics. i.e you have to be confident in tackling problems in mechanics, materials, nuclear, electricity, electronics, magnetism, optics, astronomy, mathematics, earth, energy/thermodynamics e.t.c so your brain has to keep switching to different subject concentration. If I were the op, I would just stick to statistics.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by duality(m): 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2012
ishmael: Are u very sure of this? Are u saying that people with their hard earned Bsc/HND actually applied to be truck or trailer drivers in dangote's company? I saw the advert but thought someone was just playing some games. Education is finished in nigeria.

shooo!, my guy you mean you didn't see the long thread on this forum? maybe you should search for it. many nigerian graduates were in support; claiming to have applied; with their hard earned degree. trust me, non of those graduates studied trailer driving in school. i guess some may have studied computer science, and statistics etc etc. so my initial post still stands.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 10, 2012
In terms of job opportunities, physics has a lot to offer than statistics.
In terms of simplicity, statistics is very simple and easier to pass compared to physics.
If you really want to study a course that is related to computer science, then go for statistics.
If you love hardwork and challenges and you know you are good in further maths and calculations then go for physics. You can easily make second class upper or first class in statistics but to make such grades in physics, you need to work very hard.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 4:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
duality:

shooo!, my guy you mean you didn't see the long thread on this forum? maybe you should search for it. many nigerian graduates were in support; claiming to have applied; with their hard earned degree. trust me, non of those graduates studied trailer driving in school. i guess some may have studied computer science, and statistics etc etc. so my initial post still stands.
I saw the thread but thought someone was just trying to make fun of the unemployed graduates in nigeria. Graduate truck drivers? Dem go soon start smoke igbo be dat, because that's what gives them the spirit and morale to drive in the night. Nigerian graduates don suffer.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 4:42pm On Aug 10, 2012
Hotsophy: In terms of job opportunities, physics has a lot to offer than statistics.
In terms of simplicity, statistics is very simple and easier to pass compared to physics.
If you really want to study a course that is related to computer science, then go for statistics.
If you love hardwork and challenges and you know you are good in further maths and calculations then go for physics. You can easily make second class upper or first class in statistics but to make such grades in physics, you need to work very hard.
You're right, physics is more difficult than maths and stats put together. Physics is like engineering. In ABU, at times they don't graduate anybody not to talk of 2:1 or 1st class.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by nitlad: 4:50pm On Aug 10, 2012
Seun: Study what you want to study. Take JAMB again and study Computer Science. Life is too short to waste on distractions.
Rubbish! Whatever happened to "life is what happens when yhur busy making other plans"?
Tell me yhur life has played out perfectly the exact way yhu wanted, and I'll tell yhu yhur a liar!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Les: 4:54pm On Aug 10, 2012
Op, consider where you can work after studying each course due to condition in 9ja, i don't knw for stats o but i think physicist in 9ja are limited to class room blocks like some1 said. Dhu yhu know where else a physicist can work in 9ja apart from teaching in skuls and educational institutions??
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
If doubting whether to choose between PHYSICS and STATISTICS, then please choose STATISTICS.

PHYSICS, like MATHEMATICS, LOGIC and THEOLOGY are not about job opportunities, or careers.

It is about passion or calling. Q.E.D.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by jarkata(m): 5:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
Tell dem to offer u geophysics instead of physics or better still geology,na OAU abi? Dem go do u sege, u go hear wuennn!! Better go for startistics jeje,physics kee,u won stress urself for nothing,2'1 na 2'1 for any course in a bank jare.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by 19naia(m): 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2012
Statistics will come to use in the application of all other studies or proffessions and so every one will be exposed to the study of statistics...A field like physics is very involved with math for manageing data sets...Physics or statistics would be great and very broad fields of study as they are used to work in chemistry ,biology,or should i stopp listing and just say that between the two,every thing from politics to arts and sciences are covered....I guess it depends on the country you want to work in ,if you want good employment..
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
Les: Op, consider where you can work after studying each course due to condition in 9ja, i don't knw for stats o but i think physicist in 9ja are limited to class room blocks like some1 said. Dhu yhu know where else a physicist can work in 9ja apart from teaching in skuls and educational institutions??

Lol, that's not true. We were 18 that graduated in physics & applied physics i.e my set, only 2 are secondary school teachers and 2 are university lecturers. The others are in consulting firms, interior decor, banks, O&G, engineering, telecoms and FMCG.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by jibsyola(f): 5:36pm On Aug 10, 2012
@ poster,pls go for statistics.When u get to 300 and 400 level,there are some courses in STAT that are related to CSE like Operation Research,Statistical package(R-programming,Spss,Mini,Matlab and many more) which will enable u to understand the theory and pratical aspect.I am proud to be a great STATISTICIAN(Fact from reliable source).Best of luck
Re: Physics Or Statistics by scorpiogal(f): 5:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
Wow... Tough choices 4 u, am currently studyin Geo-Physics, @1st I wantd 2 run away frm it cos it wsnt ma core-course, bt nw I tink am gettn 2 lyk it, nd 4 statistics, mehn, jus tinkn abt it, its givin me migrane. If I wia in ure shoes, I wud go 4 physics ova stat... Bt d choice is urs, follw ur hart.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by globechamp: 5:46pm On Aug 10, 2012
@OP

I am a graduate of Physics and have worked for over 5 years after graduation, and so I know what I am talking about to some extent.

Please I beg you, if your intention/gut/passion is not to finish with FIRST CLASS (which is very rare but POSSIBLE), sweating it out with all brain power God has given you, DONT EVEN DARE PHYSICS. You will only be listened to without question if you have a FIRST CLASS or worst 2nd class Upper, if you dare study Physics.
So if you are not ready to give 100% and you need to do other things like socializing, business etc(am not saying doing all those things will affect your excellent performance if you know how to balance things very well), JUST CHOOSE Statistics JEJE.

By the way, since you want Computer science, Dont wait anymore at home, registering JAMB o(who says you will get Computer science next year?) Study VERY HARD in your 100 Level. If your grades are EXCELLENT, your have very high chances of switching to your course of choice (Computer Science).

my candid opinion. all the best

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by soulamanne(m): 5:52pm On Aug 10, 2012
I am a product of a physics department(engineering physics) so I will talk from experience.physics on its own in our part of the world isn't more of a career prospect except u want to lecture.but it gives you a great leverage if u want to pursue a career in ICT.I can confidently tell u that a lot of physics graduates are into ICT and are highly considered alongside elec/elect and comp sci/eng grads for ICT recruitment.all u need do is graduate with a good grade and towards d end of ur 4yrs place ur hand on certifications like CCNA,MCSE etc.this will plunge u into the ICT world.statistics is a very good course but I tell u it is restrictive.physics will broaden ur options(medical physics,power,etc)incase u don't even want to do ICT.I am not advertising for the course cos truth is it is a naughty one.I didn't graduate with the best of grades but hey!I ve applied some of what I learnt in school(e.g fibre optics).so charlie;I would advise u choose physics
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Kinterez(m): 6:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
Guy u shud go for physics...am a physics electronist..its very fun..u wil enjoy evrybit of it..Statistics on d oda hand isnt funny at al..it entails much of maths,stat,csc,..these courses ar nt dt frndly bt u wil enjoy physics if u r gud in maths..
Re: Physics Or Statistics by KiKatanga: 6:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
Study which ever you are more interested in -- unless you have a specific role in mind, in which case take the more appropriate for the job.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by elimokhai(m): 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2012
Physics is cool if you're ready to dedicate the next four years studying, as you must avoid "carry overs" due to the course outlines. having too many carry over when you don't actually have spaces for them in another session will surely lead to extension (extra year) peculiar to physics and chemistry department. I gained admission to study medicine in 2000, unfortunately in my 100L, i failed CHM112 out of the 21 courses offered for both first and second semester. couldn't proceed to 200L. had an option to either repeat 100L or proceed to 200L in the faculty of natural science, i chose to proceed, was therefore offered chemistry instead of biochemistry which i applied for. I had no option since i wanted to proceed to 200L, a decision I have never regret.

Physicists are scientists who investigate motion and gravity, the behavior of gases, the structure and behavior of matter, the generation and transfer of energy, and the interaction between matter and energy. They identify basic forces and laws of nature. Theoretical physicists investigate these areas without thought to practical application, concerning themselves with concepts such as the nature of time and the origin of the universe.

If you can make good grades in Physics. The sky will be your limit. I don't consider a statistician a scientist. Just my own view.

Wish you success
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 10, 2012
olalekan1: @ POSTER, i am final year student of statistics at the Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta, if i will advice you as my own brother, i will tell you to accept statistics because computer science students in NIgeria do a lot of statistics throughout their study. Also you will take computer science courses also wich are compulsory just as in mathematics also. so physics is in no way related to computer science at all. Imagine i stop taking physics at 1st semester 200 Level except 1 UNIT physics course that i did in 300 level. In conclusion, just forego physics and embrace statistics. Nigeria dont have enough qualified computer science lecturer. Ask any question, i will answer you..

Student data analyst jobs now exist @ www.data-ville.com/interns
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 10, 2012
jibsy_ola: @ poster,pls go for statistics.When u get to 300 and 400 level,there are some courses in STAT that are related to CSE like Operation Research,Statistical package(R-programming,Spss,Mini,Matlab and many more) which will enable u to understand the theory and pratical aspect.I am proud to be a great STATISTICIAN(Fact from reliable source).Best of luck

Connect with us, I'm a data analyst with a private research firm.

Dataville Solutions is a research consulting firm with powerful online presence supporting platforms for online course work support, empirical data analysis and distance learning advisory services for academic researchers and students.

Site map:
Home: www.data-ville.com/
About: www.data-ville.com/about
Services: www.data-ville.com/services
Training: www.data-ville.com/training
Support: www.data-ville.com/support
Software: www.data-ville.com/sales
Internship: www.data-ville.com/interns
Adverts: www.data-ville.com/ads
BBM: 292719F7

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede / Apply For NLNG Post-primary & Undergraduate Scholarships 2017 / Federal Poly Nekede Finnally Releases 2011/2012 First Admission List Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.