Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,430 members, 7,932,409 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 06:25 AM

Physics Or Statistics - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Physics Or Statistics (14016 Views)

Changing Course From Economics To Accounting Or Statistics / B.sc Physics Or B.sc Mathematics / Choosing Between BSC Physics Or HND Electrical/electronics Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physics Or Statistics by strangest(m): 7:08pm On Aug 10, 2012
dyoung: go for statistic,then after your first year, u can buy change of course form for computer science.

Thank you jare, @op, this is the best advise so far, is there a guarantee that you will get computer science if you take jamb again? Or do you want to stay home for another 2-4years all in the name of getting computer science, really wished I had this advise above during my own time, it would have saved me a lot
Re: Physics Or Statistics by member479760: 7:28pm On Aug 10, 2012
Go for Statistics!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 10, 2012
[b][/b]STATISTICS BAYBAY!!

I'm a proud statistician...it wasn't easy, but it was worth it!! grin
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 7:51pm On Aug 10, 2012
elimokhai: Physics is cool if you're ready to dedicate the next four years studying, as you must avoid "carry overs" due to the course outlines. having too many carry over when you don't actually have spaces for them in another session will surely lead to extension (extra year) peculiar to physics and chemistry department. I gained admission to study medicine in 2000, unfortunately in my 100L, i failed CHM112 out of the 21 courses offered for both first and second semester. couldn't proceed to 200L. had an option to either repeat 100L or proceed to 200L in the faculty of natural science, i chose to proceed, was therefore offered chemistry instead of biochemistry which i applied for. I had no option since i wanted to proceed to 200L, a decision I have never regret.

Physicists are scientists who investigate motion and gravity, the behavior of gases, the structure and behavior of matter, the generation and transfer of energy, and the interaction between matter and energy. They identify basic forces and laws of nature. Theoretical physicists investigate these areas without thought to practical application, concerning themselves with concepts such as the nature of time and the origin of the universe.

If you can make good grades in Physics. The sky will be your limit. I don't consider a statistician a scientist. Just my own view.

Wish you success
Your view about statisticians is myopic. Statisticians design and analyze experiments in the biological sciences, medical sciences, physical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, agric sciences, etc. yet u say they are not scientists? If they are not scientists, then one begins to wonder what ur definition of a scientist is. If Bsc Statistics is done in the faculty of sciences, in any of these departments: statistics or mathematics or mathematical sciences or maths & stats or maths & computer science; why then would u in ur own opinion say that statisticians are not scientists?

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by desertboom(m): 9:02pm On Aug 10, 2012
If only you can stand the heat, physics would have been the best option. It's relevant in almost all facet of life; engineering physics, medical physics, statistical physics, solar energy physics, research and lots more

However, most people here has done best to enlighten you, therefore its left for you to make your decision. Bros, be it physics or statistics the goal and the number one agenda will be for you to be good and the best at what you do.

Personally, I switch from Engineering to Industrial physics based on personal decision. My brother, physics is not easy at all let the truth be said. Pick the course you believe you can perform optimumly and continue life from there. Goodluck and most of all success.

3 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Solozzo(m): 9:41pm On Aug 10, 2012
ishmael: I saw the thread but thought someone was just trying to make fun of the unemployed graduates in nigeria. Graduate truck drivers? Dem go soon start smoke igbo be dat, because that's what gives them the spirit and morale to drive in the night. Nigerian graduates don suffer.

The reality is that even in dev world eg Australia, manual jobs sometimes pay more than book jobs. For instance I have met truck drivers in my clinic in Australia who earn as much as 4000dollars a week. But it's hard work. Plumbers are earning more than lecturers. Many graduates do these jobs for money.

Back to the post. I think stats may be better than physics because of wider applicability, consultation opportunities and application in research. Physics only prospect in naija and even abroad is teaching.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by AreaFada2: 9:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
That's very funny oo.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2012
jswags: Pls nairalanders , I am supposed to study computer science but now I am been offered to choose btw physics or statistics.. Pls which one should i go for. Pls i need ur advice pls wit reasons.

Guy

Study PHYSICS as if it is the only course on earth. I missed that opportunity @ FUTA once and I am still regretting it somehaw...

Go for [size=20pt]PHYSICS[/size]
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Seun(m): 11:17pm On Aug 10, 2012
I think we can all agree that Statistics is closer to Computer Science. It's less awful than the other option. Pick Statistics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 10, 2012
Seun: Study what you want to study. Take JAMB again and study Computer Science. Life is too short to waste on distractions.
this is the best advice u'll ever get.
I always wanted 2 study Medicine bt i accepted the wrong course. Spent 2 years there bt it just felt like a waste of Time/talent cos i wasnt happy with what i was doing. I gradually lost concentration and thereafter explained 2 my Parents. I finally had 2 write jamb again
wldnt wants urs 2 b d same as mine

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by awizzy1(m): 12:21am On Aug 11, 2012
Statistics all the way..reason:its closer to CSC..hmmm uniabj sha.but if you can sacrifice another year try jamb again but believe me statistics easy to pass oh,just sabi ur Mth101(sets and algebra),mth102(calculus),mth103(trigonometric) and sta101(introductory statistics) wella sta201,sta203,mth202,mth204,mth205,sta303,sta404 and more na moi-moi...just weight your options,its ur choice to make plus I'm not saying Physics is not good oh,to me its like more stress and less opportunity..
Re: Physics Or Statistics by idris4r83(m): 4:58am On Aug 11, 2012
Seun: Study what you want to study. Take JAMB again and study Computer Science. Life is too short to waste on distractions.
Best advice so far
Re: Physics Or Statistics by nitlad: 5:07am On Aug 11, 2012
Seun: I think we can all agree that Statistics is closer to Computer Science. It's less awful than the other option. Pick Statistics.
Why d sudden change of opinion Mr.?
I thought yhu'd rather he took JAMB again in order for him to study "what he wants to study"?
Its good yhur now coming around to face reality!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by OLUWAMETOO: 6:54am On Aug 11, 2012
prof cendo, dr amaechi, dr boyo.......hmmmm.................physics is nt hard at all.... lipsrsealed.....it just requires ur time and once u get into it, u will find out physics is the basis of almost everything.............physics is far greater, u can cross into any field......become an astronaut, nuclear engineer,medical physicist,particle physics(researcher),transmission engineer and alot more in communication and electronics.............physics just opens ur mind to a wider scope.....forget nigeria or watever........dont limit ursef
Re: Physics Or Statistics by queensmith: 9:33am On Aug 11, 2012
physics- they're like the most employable people, you can't go wrong with it. Stats and physics- not on the same level at all, they don't carry the same weight.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by perloomey(m): 10:49am On Aug 11, 2012
jswags: Pls nairalanders , I am supposed to study computer science but now I am been offered to choose btw physics or statistics.. Pls which one should i go for. Pls i need ur advice pls wit reasons.
actualy both is gud bu physics is beta cos yl doin in physics u'l knw more abt statistics as wel
Re: Physics Or Statistics by vislabraye(m): 11:50am On Aug 11, 2012
If you are confused btw choosing stats. and phys, choose mathematics instead. Lol. Its in between the two. U get to do lots of stats and physics in it.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by elviszzz: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2012
Go for statistics bro,its needed in every organisation. Am a graduate of statistics,never planned to read that but as a result of not wanting to stay at home and doing jamb year after year I had no option than to take statistic cos it was d only option offered by d university to me.I wanted to do engineering or computer science but my cut off was low for both. Today I work as a statistician in a university.I have no regrets on statistics,my testimony has been from one level of glory to another.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 7:00pm On Aug 11, 2012
elviszzz: Go for statistics bro,its needed in every organisation. Am a graduate of statistics,never planned to read that but as a result of not wanting to stay at home and doing jamb year after year I had no option than to take statistic cos it was d only option offered by d university to me.I wanted to do engineering or computer science but my cut off was low for both. Today I work as a statistician in a university.I have no regrets on statistics,my testimony has been from one level of glory to another.
God bless u bro.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Tedyk(m): 11:57pm On Aug 11, 2012
Stats z d best option for Computer Science
Re: Physics Or Statistics by garbigarba: 12:07am On Aug 12, 2012
OLUWAMETOO: prof cendo, dr amaechi, dr boyo.......hmmmm.................physics is nt hard at all.... lipsrsealed.....it just requires ur time and once u get into it, u will find out physics is the basis of almost everything.............physics is far greater, u can cross into any field......become an astronaut, nuclear engineer,medical physicist,particle physics(researcher),transmission engineer and alot more in communication and electronics.............physics just opens ur mind to a wider scope.....forget nigeria or watever........dont limit ursef
Unilag toh badt
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 12:26am On Aug 12, 2012
Seun: I think we can all agree that Statistics is closer to Computer Science. It's less awful than the other option. Pick Statistics.

Statistics isn't really close to CS at all. I don't see what the argument for it being closer than physics.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Emperorneyo(m): 4:43am On Aug 12, 2012
1sly, I wl start by sayin success is whom u re and nt by wat u ve gone 2 study in Schl, but if u re 2 consider 9ja factor, I tink Statistics is beta cos of it wider applicatn @ this data and inforamtion age Physics has limitatn 2 Scientific field alone and if proper care is nt taken d career can end up colectin token in 1 Private Sec Schl in 9ja been a non-academician. It is beta u take d Advises of pple who re in d favor market already dat knos wat pple re being tot in schl is diff 4rm wat outside is sayin in 9ja. Wishin u best in life...
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 6:26am On Aug 12, 2012
ekt_bear:

Statistics isn't really close to CS at all. I don't see what the argument for it being closer than physics.
Just say u don't know. Do a little research and find out the courses statistics students and computer science students offer. Then find out if there is a correlation.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 8:26pm On Aug 12, 2012
ishmael: Just say u don't know. Do a little research and find out the courses statistics students and computer science students offer. Then find out if there is a correlation.

I don't know the mandatory courses for those degrees in Nigeria, but I do know what they look like in say the US. And there is no more overlap between CS and statistics in those places than there is between CS and physics.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 8:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
ekt_bear:

I don't know the mandatory courses for those degrees in Nigeria, but I do know what they look like in say the US. And there is no more overlap between CS and statistics in those places than there is between CS and physics.
Every where and even in the US Stats and Comp Sci take similar courses at undergraduate level. In Nigeria, statistics, mathematics, and comp science students do almost the same thing from 100 to 200 levels, with differences surfacing from 300 levels.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 8:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
that isn't how it works in the US at most schools. You start taking computing courses as a CS major pretty early...freshman year.

Statistics isn't mandatory either for CS students, at least at the universities I have experience with.

Pretty much no core CS or programming classes are required for statisticians either.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by okeyxyz(m): 8:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
ekt_bear:

Really? so what do databases do if not statistics?
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 2:59am On Aug 13, 2012
database? statistics? like an sql database?
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 3:48am On Aug 13, 2012
ekt_bear: that isn't how it works in the US at most schools. You start taking computing courses as a CS major pretty early...freshman year.

Statistics isn't mandatory either for CS students, at least at the universities I have experience with.

Pretty much no core CS or programming classes are required for statisticians either.
In nigeria statistics students do a lot of computing while CS students do a lot of maths and stats courses, both in the university and polytechnic. UK schools do same too. I really need to find out about the US system.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 7:34am On Aug 13, 2012
What programming courses do stats students take in the UK and Nigeria?

What are the mandatory math and stat courses for CS students, aside from those pretty much every engineering student must take?
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 10:38am On Aug 13, 2012
ekt_bear: What programming courses do stats students take in the UK and Nigeria?

What are the mandatory math and stat courses for CS students, aside from those pretty much every engineering student must take?
I don't know how it is now in nigeria cos i left undergraduate school long ago. I attended both poly and uni. Some CS courses that stats and CS students did together in the poly that i can remember are: intro to CS, Basic programming, Fortran programming, COBOL programming, and computer application packages. The maths & stats courses are: intro to stats, descriptive stats, probability theory, logic & linear algebra, trig & analytical geometry, stat theory, calculus, ops research, etc. These are the ones i can remember. In the uni i can also remember maths, stats, and CS students did some courses together. Some of them are courses like basic, and fortran programming, mathematical modelling, mathematical programming, statistics for scientists & engineers, mathematical mthds, set theory, prob theory, calculus, algebra, numerical analysis, etc. Except if the syllabus in naija has changed. I think I've cracked my brain enough to remember these.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which University In Nigeria Has The Largest Library? / What Is The Importance Of Internet In The Education Field? / UNIBEN Bans Social Activities On Campus Over Student’s Murder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.