Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,432 members, 7,978,369 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 07:12 AM

My Brother-in-law And My Car - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother-in-law And My Car (10699 Views)

My Brother-in-law Beat My Sister This Morning. What Should I Do? / My Brother In Law (sister's Husby) Is Becoming Too Rude For My Liking... / My Brother's Fiancee Is An Ex-prostitute Have Slept With. Should I Tell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by naturalwaves: 7:33pm On Aug 10, 2012
If OP's family is a closely knitted one,it will be very difficult to take d harsh and 'I don't send' decisions that a handful of u are suggesting.For them to come stay with him shows that they are close and d relationship is a cordial one.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:55pm On Aug 10, 2012
I wish I was your brother-inlaw . seriously, I will build my own house out of your pocket angry WTF.. this fully-grown adult is leeching off you because you married his Sister shocked He will go to the US courtesy of you f'course and some dimwats on this thread are actually suggesting that you leave the SUV for them!!! shocked Did you pluck the monies you make off a tree in your bathroom? These types of brother-inlaws end up coming back from the US after years of your bank account getting drained from obodo oyibo and all they have to show for it is a certificate from Microsoft for Word Efficiency. Grow a Solid Backbone - Your Marriage is at Risk because one day your wife will bring her Mother's Sister for further training abroad. You will live withteh pain silently for years and eventually you will break and start cheating on your wife. I know a couple that happened to only differently,the Husband spent all his savings over a period of 20 years sending his cousins, inlaws and brothers abroad for education while his own kids schooled in Nigeria and ended-up failing JAMB. I pray this is not your portion. Be very practical. if you were not alive today, will your brother inlaw die or will he grow some guts and hustle his own SUV like real men do.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:56pm On Aug 10, 2012
naturalwaves: If OP's family is a closely knitted one,it will be very difficult to take d harsh and 'I don't send' decisions that a handful of u are suggesting.For them to come stay with him shows that they are close and d relationship is a cordial one.

they are not close-knitted, they are taking advantage of his generous personality only a mugu will be that generous to greedy and selfish relatives angry
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 10, 2012
Sarcoc: Just reading this trend I can tell the married men here from the single men! All these people shouting "be the man and do this and do that - tell him this and tell him that" clearly havent run a home for a second. My brother simple reminder -a car is only but metal as u noted when it is damaged you simply pass by a garage and it is fixed but remember that relationships cannot be fixed that Easley and even when you think it's fixed the memories lingers a life time. A price can be fixed on your car but not on any relationship

Just bear the pain and desist from anything that would dent any relationship.
Na true u talk o.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by sashaa(f): 8:20pm On Aug 10, 2012
werepeLeri: leave the car for them - if you can, just buy yourself another car and keep the key with you. There is no way you can keep an automobile from an adult in the house. or you want your marriage to begin shake maka SUV? Biko.
ar u for real? Smh
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Oluwo1: 8:20pm On Aug 10, 2012
Just remove something that wont make the car start, a plug or something. Then drop the car key on the table
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by ACM10: 8:43pm On Aug 10, 2012
Sarcoc: Just reading this trend I can tell the married men here from the single men! All these people shouting "be the man and do this and do that - tell him this and tell him that" clearly havent run a home for a second. My brother simple reminder -a car is only but metal as u noted when it is damaged you simply pass by a garage and it is fixed but remember that relationships cannot be fixed that Easley and even when you think it's fixed the memories lingers a life time. A price can be fixed on your car but not on any relationship

Just bear the pain and desist from anything that would dent any relationship.

I see why some women treats some men like shyt in marriage. You just can't hold on to your relationship by acting like a wuss. You must have a principle that guides your policy. Though you might compromise some of your core values to accommodate that of others. But you can't allow those around u to behave irresponsibly, all in the name of holding on to your relationship. Brother, your happiness cannot be sacrificed to salvage a moribund relationship. People should live up to their responsibility to ensure a lasting relationship. The OP's wife is clearly failing in her responsibility by failing to caution her brother who is supposedly acting irresponsibly.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by SisiKill1: 8:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
The Brother-in-Law in question is HIS SISTER'S HUSBAND!!!!

Stop cursing the poor wife, she has NOTHING to do with this!!

Haba!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by ACM10: 8:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
My apology for the mix up. I believe that my advise is still valid nevertheless
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2012
Abali1:

My dear, You are the least person to preach to me about RESPONSIBILITY.

I was responding to the OP's story of having ONLY ONE CAR & was able to allow his BIL use it. And he equally went the extra mile of still bearing the cost of maintaining the car...

I can't even remember the last time I went to someone for financial assistance. Rather people do come to me now for Help.
Life is a Journey sis...

Hey bros, I'm not even interested in doing such. From your initial post, you came across as someone who felt his BIL shouldn't have any problem letting him use one of his cars since he has enough cars to use and letting you drive one and also incurring the cost of the damages on the car in your care shouldn't be a big deal.

As you replied the poster based on what he posted, I also in likewise manner did same to your post; I guess we're even wink.

It's good to know you're doing well yourself and being privileged to extend your benevolence to others.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by safeact(m): 9:23pm On Aug 10, 2012
@Op, sorry, i couldnt hold ma anger on you atleast to go tru other peoples comment! How can u tell me that ur brother in law has bn bashing ur exp car and yet he doesnt make attempt on his own tto fix it or even fuel it and u come here to plead for an advise. Mayb its ur wife or her family that is marrying u and not u marrying her? Amuo nwoke yaburu nwoke, Be a man and take charge of ur family.,
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Abali1(m): 9:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
Abali1: op, I wish I hav your kind of brother In Law. My sis' husband has about four cars and it took a lot of pleadings and forming vex(cos I stopped helping out with house chores) before I was eventually given access to a car. [/b]And for the duration of my stay with them, [b]I dare not go to him or my sis for money to fuel or mentain the car. I have to squeeze out my own little funds to keep the car runn[b]ing. Did I hear you say scratch.... bros it is high time you put your feet down and take charge of your home.
Today it is car, I wonder what it will be tomor[/b]row.
I still wish my brother In Law was free with me like this when I was staying in his house.
ferhyntorlah:

Hey bros, I'm not even interested in doing such. From your initial post, you came across as someone who felt his BIL shouldn't have any problem letting him use one of his cars since he has enough cars to use and letting you drive one and also incurring the cost of the damages on the car in your care shouldn't be a big deal.
v
As you replied the poster based on what he posted, I also in likewise manner did same to your post; I guess we're even wink.

It's good to know you're doing well yourself and being privileged to extend your benevolence to others.

ferhyntorlah, that was my initial post, and the bolded shows that I ddnt feel my BIL owes me. I have to plead and form vex, cos I was also helping with washing of those cars and other chores and it was affecting my primary purpose which at that time was STUDY/SCHOOL.

Anyway, am not offended. Am only trying to contrast and compare, as was shown in the last paragraph.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 10, 2012
My friend, you need to be a man.
let him bash it one more time and take the chance to boil everywhere up.
when done, apologize to your wife.
you think your wife will let your relative mess with that same car like that?
she will call you in the bedroom and start plotting.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by wy2000(m): 11:01pm On Aug 10, 2012
He is NOT her wife's relative!!! He is HIS elder sister's husband's husband!!!!!

webdezzi: My friend, you need to be a man.
let him bash it one more time and take the chance to boil everywhere up.
when done, apologize to your wife.
you think your wife will let your relative mess with that same car like that?
she will call you in the bedroom and start plotting.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:02am On Aug 11, 2012
Abali1:

ferhyntorlah, that was my initial post, and the bolded shows that I ddnt feel my BIL owes me. I have to plead and form vex, cos I was also helping with washing of those cars and other chores and it was affecting my primary purpose which at that time was STUDY/SCHOOL.

Anyway, am not offended. Am only trying to contrast and compare, as was shown in the last paragraph.

Dude, we disagree to agree isn't it?
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by kunlebunmi: 12:57am On Aug 11, 2012
Send your wife over to my house for a few days. I will help you talk to her.She needs to stop this nonsense before she runs you down.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by dasparrow: 2:12am On Aug 11, 2012
nahinbdis: My brother-in-law has been living with me now for about 8months as he is awaiting the outcome of his visa appeal having been refused on first application. Along the line, he attended a driving school for two weeks so that he wouldn’t have to start from scratch by the time he relocates. However, he has now taken a liking to my SUV (my only car at the moment) to improve his driving skills. Much as I would want to see him improve, an SUV in my opinion is not a car for learners looking at its relative size and maneuverability. This is evident in the damage the car has suffered the several times he has manned it.

The very first time, he drove too closely to a parked bus and the side mirror was damaged; this I fixed at my cost. This made my wife and I to resolve that he should not drive the car and I more or less told him so. However, due to the nature of my job, I usually leave my car at home and join the staff bus. His strategy now is to convince my wife that he wants to teach her how to drive, or they should drive to church or he wants to drop her off at the office. The next time he drove the car, he drove over the spikes at a filling station and punctured the right tyre through the side wall. Though they bought a secondhand tyre to replace it, it does not tally with the other tyres making the car to look funny. I was quite upset at this but held back. Another time, he scratched the side of the car while backing out of the garage. That damage has not been fixed. Then another time I found that the middle hand rest was broken because they leaned on it too much and the horn also stopped working (this has also not been fixed). Then yesterday, he went to make some deliveries for my wife and run his own things with the car. I met him on my way back from work pushing the car because fuel had run out (of course the fuel indicator was on!) but he usually never wants to spend a dime of whatever funds he has. I had to bring out money for him to buy fuel as he said he was going home to collect money from my wife. By the time the car was fuelled and I took over driving, I felt much vibration and heard so much noise from the car suspension. I asked him why he was flying over potholes on bad inner city streets and his response was that he was under pressure to deliver my wife’s goods.

I do not want to lose my cool with him or wifey but I think I have run out of options. My latest resolve is to keep the car key in an undisclosed location when am not around. What do you think?

Take your car from him. Agh! Here in the united states he can't try that crap because everything here costs alot of money. Is that how he is going to act like an uncivilized baboon when he gets to the united states and run his car into people's cars? Not only will his car insurance go up through the roof but he could get sued should the driver of the other vehicle he runs into get's injured. Its not mandatory that he learns to drive. He should go and learn how to ride a bike or a kiddie tricycle cool
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by princeonx: 4:46am On Aug 11, 2012
I won't say it twice and my keys stay where they normally stay even if it's on top of the dinning table. If I tell him not to touch the key or the SUV and he disobey that, my next conversation with him will have to do with his leaving date!

1 Like

Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by vizion: 6:34am On Aug 11, 2012
Tell your wife not to allow anyone drive the car, and your brother-in-law that he is trying to reck a family car, hence he should not be driving your car anymore for whatever reason.

go to your car and take down the mileage, and leave your car keys where you usually keep it.

one week later, check the milage on you car, if it has change, bring down hell.

it is your house, your car, and your money. you should not be running in your own house, and your wife should not please anyone over you her husband in a matter like this. Therefore tell her that it is her allowance that would be used to fix all the damages in the car, if she fails to remind brother in law of your orders

Good luck
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Youngzedd(m): 8:49am On Aug 11, 2012
Someone that handle car like this, am afraid something may go wrong someday.
Iit's better you collect the car key and go to work with it, to avoid any accident.
And if any accident happens you know what that means onto Naija level.
The people will now say you have used Him for rituals, na then you go know say people hates you.

Better run for your life and that of your brother - In - Law.

Typing with an experience.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by chinero121: 9:19am On Aug 11, 2012
My broda ur car is not a play tin.don't wait till ur engine is knocked before you cry out.cite d damages u hav noticed.dey shuld leave d car till u r around.ur wife shuld understand. As for ur broda in law,I'm body dey hot he can't even buy fuel. Make I'm rest
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by naturalwaves: 9:33am On Aug 11, 2012
dasparrow:

Take your car from him. Agh! Here in the united states he can't try that crap because everything here costs alot of money. Is that how he is going to act like an uncivilized baboon when he gets to the united states and run his car into people's cars? Not only will his car insurance go up through the roof but he could get sued should the driver of the other vehicle he runs into get's injured. Its not mandatory that he learns to drive. He should go and learn how to ride a bike or a kiddie tricycle cool
Bike or kiddie tricycle?....Funny guy!
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by 234GT(m): 9:34am On Aug 11, 2012
Op, sell the suv and fix the money with a nice bank. When the guy leaves, you buy another car. Your reason for selling the car= i am owing somebody a large sum of money.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by unclenna(m): 10:48am On Aug 11, 2012
nahinbdis:

Another car is not on the books right now. Just started a business for wifey and the focus now is on building it.
save up cash and buy a smaller car for ur wife/her biz. For crying out loud SUV is not a delievery car and neither is it a car for learners. angry
nahinbdis:

Another car is not on the books right now. Just started a business for wifey and the focus now is on building it.
save up cash and buy a smaller car for ur wife/her biz. For crying out loud SUV is not a delievery car and neither is it a car for learners.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Tinkybabe(f): 11:30am On Aug 11, 2012
GboyegaD: You need to let your wife know how you feel and stand your ground that on no reason should he drive the car. If he isn't comfortable with your decision, he can as well go back to his parents.

The bolded got me roflmao cheesy cheesy cheesy..For heavens sake and for the umpteenth time..the brother-in-law in question is his ELDER SISTER'S HUSBAND.English scholars had better find a different word other than brother-in-law to describe that relationship

@op..Your situation is a tight one and I honestly understand your dilemma BUT it's time you stood your ground..It's going to be quite difficult knowing that you're a gentle guy(well,from the way you've been handling the issue).I'd suggest that you have a talk with him,tell him the honest truth about how you feel,speak to him politely and maturely..If he's a reasonable and honorable man,he would oblige your plea to leave your car.It's a bit childish to hide your car key since we are dealing with an adult here.If you'd find the above so difficult then I think you would have to tell your sister to talk to her husband(tho I'm not too comfortable with that personally,as it could infuriate him or even your sister and cause a strain on family ties which I guess you would not like but if you must,it should be the last resort).
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by dominique(f): 1:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
Tinkybabe:

The bolded got me roflmao cheesy cheesy cheesy..For heavens sake and for the umpteenth time..the brother-in-law in question is his ELDER SISTER'S HUSBAND.English scholars had better found a different word other than brother-in-law to describe that relationship

find another word for wetin. is it their fault some nairalanders are so slow to comprehend?
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Sarcoc: 6:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
This topic should be directed at people who have been married for more than five years and still have a good relationship with all their relatives NOT people who think its childsplay/ just have access to a computer.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by emmerks(m): 1:29am On Aug 12, 2012
Take the to the office and park it there. When asked tell them its with the mechanic.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by xreal: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2012
@OP
Your in-law must be a child. He seems not to be able to think deep. You (his sister's husband) should be the one to tell him to take a 'ride' with your SUV and not him 'down-grading' himself.

IMO, your wife is to blame. She must be in full support of the whole damage to your SUV.

Sir, I'ldd advice you just leave the SUV for him and gε̲̣̣̣̥t̶̲̥̅ another car; NO ONE WILL question you for taking the key to your new car along with you to work. Please, be wise on any comment(s) you make to him or your wife (regarding him driving and/or damaging your only vehicle). Your marriage matters most.
Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by SisiKill1: 4:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
Some people shaaaa. . .they musto find a way to blame the wife.

If she tells her husband to collect the car keys from the brother in law. . .some people will scream holy murder, Jeeeedus, they will shout, she wants to cause problem between the man and his family. What a she devil.

She does not say anything it is . .lawd-a-mercy! What kind of wife is this. . . she is working with them to ruin you. What a she devil!

There really is no wining for a Nigerian Wife,.is there? cry

1 Like

Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by vanitty: 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
Diplomacy is needed here
Technically, the man is your "uncle sir" as he is your elder sister's husband
A car is just that . . . a car.
I will advice you to bear the brunt.
He is family, with family, we get the good and the bad

1 Like

Re: My Brother-in-law And My Car by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
For starters, my brother-in-law would not be living with me. I couldn't care less if he's my elder sister's husband, if he stayed with me on a temporary basis, he would have to abide by MY rules. And that includes keeping his mitts off my car. If he can't, then I'll kick him out, simple. If a grown man acts like a child, he'll get treated as one, end of.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Pls Me! Spiritual Husband / Happy Children's Day - Funny Memories Of Your Childhood / Husband Taking Money From Wife's Purse - What Should She Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.