Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,535 members, 7,888,717 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:34 PM

Should Women Do Hard Work? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Women Do Hard Work? (11814 Views)

See What A Lady Posted About Husbands & Wife Battery: Women Do You Agree? / Should Women Change Their Dressing Once They Get Married? / The Things Nigerian Women Do To Find Husbands(Men Beware) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Women Do Hard Work? by spyder880(m): 11:00pm On Aug 10, 2012
The trend these days is to have a family where both man and wife work to make ends meet, but are there ways to keep the "weaker gender" from doing tough jobs which were supposed to be left for the men, or where do we draw the lines? Again, should women work at all outside the home to make additional money for the family?

The following pictures are not meant to demean women, but to say it as it is. This happened today as I visited a site.

What do you think?

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by spyder880(m): 11:02pm On Aug 10, 2012
even carrying cement?

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by spyder880(m): 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2012
and mixing concrete?

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by spyder880(m): 11:06pm On Aug 10, 2012
Can you allow your loved wife, whom you must obviously have spent a lot of money and affection on, do this? And where will you be, drinking somewhere?

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Kobojunkie: 11:39pm On Aug 10, 2012
spyder880: The trend these days is to have a family where both man and wife work to make ends meet, but are there ways to keep the "weaker gender" from doing tough jobs which were supposed to be left for the men, or where do we draw the lines? Again, should women work at all outside the home to make additional money for the family?

The following pictures are not meant to demean women, but to say it as it is. This happened today as I visited a site.

What do you think?

um . . . woman have been doing hard work for millenia. From the women who helped in the building of the pyramids, the great wall of china, to those who help in wars. I think you are asking the wrong question because the answers are obvious. If you are a man and you do not want your wife to do "hard work" then you ought to, before you get married, ensure that

a) You have significant savings set aside for you two and the children you expect from your marriage

b) Get a woman who understands, agrees and is willing to work with you to achieve your goal

c) ensure the woman is at least skilled enough so she would not need to resort to doing hard labor should there come a time when the family needs her to aid in generating money for it's survival. I mean if you take a village woman with no real skills for a wife, chances are she will only get work that requires hard labor if she goes out looking for work.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by minudus: 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2012
Wahalla Dey o...
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Ninilowo(m): 2:49pm On Aug 11, 2012
Noooo not at all. Women, the pride of a nation.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:49pm On Aug 11, 2012
Women are not as strong as men, but they can engage their brain & their little strength to do a job.
The women in these pics were doing that job cos they were probably poor.
Last Bullet; Hardwork is not meant for either man nor woman.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by bknight: 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2012
Male chauvinists/feminist propagandists over to u undecided
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by martyns303(m): 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2012
I believe they don't choose to work that hard, and you don't know for sure if the man is just "drinking somewhere", the women could be wives of the men in the photo, its possible that the man must have said to his wife, "my dear there's job at the site where I work, if you could carry some few sands as your strenght could carry, that will mean extra cash coming to the house". The women are doing it to support their family, I respect them. In modern families don't the wife have a job to support the family, maybe as a banker where she have to work long hours? I started of by saying they don't choose this. However as a guy I can't let my wife do hard work, and work in this sense is not having to carry sand, I mean straining work around the house, my GF don't wash my clothes, I do my own laundry, I feel others can't do it right. Most times she insist tho.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Ninapha(f): 3:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
Yes if she choose to. There are many ways a woman can choose to, why wd they go for mixing of cement when they can fry akara and yam and still make gud money. Why shd she go for chopping of fire wood when she can cook 'iwa' beans and or other lesser streneous yet money spining ventures. Some women want to show muscles thinkn more money is made from muscles. No one forced them its their choice of trade.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by brightmon: 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2012
hmm
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Ama28(f): 3:36pm On Aug 11, 2012
Ninapha: Yes if she choose to. There are many ways a woman can choose to, why wd they go for mixing of cement when they can fry akara and yam and still make gud money. Why shd she go for chopping of fire wood when she can cook 'iwa' beans and or other lesser streneous yet money spining ventures. Some women want to show muscles thinkn more money is made from muscles. No one forced them its their choice of trade.
Sorry Nina but you talk like someone whose brain is in her mouth. Which of the ventures you mention does not require capital? Nobody will want to do strenuous and menial jobs!
Our economy has made life miserable for some people. So don't look down from ur high horse and spit out. These women are people's parents, in my line of work I have seen women doing worse jobs just to see their children through our supposed free education scheme.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Youngzedd(m): 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2012
Women shouldn't do such work, but it isn't their fault rather our past Leaders.

Na condition cause am POVERTY in general.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Ninapha(f): 3:44pm On Aug 11, 2012
Ama, next time make ur point else!
What do u mean by capital? Now tell me how much is required to start akara business and i wd tell u how to raise it witout carryn cement. If u choose to make ur money thru shit carryn does not mean those who made theirs thru plaiting hair are to be blamed for ur choice. We all need to make ends meet yes but askn if women shd do hard job, am i to answer for u if u choose to.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by bugmenot: 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2012
In the western world, women do everything. I was surprised to see women driving commercial busses as large as what we call luxurious busses and even larger. I actually had a Canadian friend who was in the army, she drove larger trucks, I think 18 wheelers or thereabout. More recently, I've seen lots of women working at (road) construction sites, I've actually seen one operating a caterpillar, digging trenches. It's tough, no doubt, but it's what puts food on the table for them. Better than stealing, I've heard of Nigerian women leading gangs of robbers! I've actually seen Nigerian women driving 15 seater busses (remember City bus) in Lagos.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 11, 2012
Condition don mend those women..... I d like to see an average naija babe doinq that
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by engrtee(f): 4:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
B4 women were d weaker sex.they dont work hard,just stay at home and raise the children.

Today,they want to make money. They arent satisfied wit staying at home.they want to president.they started pushn for genda equality,woman empowerment.what a man can do a woman can do better.

THEY BROUGHT IT TO THEMSELF.WHY COMPLAIN
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by tissot84: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2012
They are asking for EQUAL RIGHT so y not. grin Just joking. it is bad
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by bukatyne(f): 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2012
engrtee: B4 women were d weaker sex.they dont work hard,just stay at home and raise the children.

Today,they want to make money. They arent satisfied wit staying at home.they want to president.they started pushn for genda equality,woman empowerment.what a man can do a woman can do better.

THEY BROUGHT IT TO THEMSELF.WHY COMPLAIN
and in ur mind now, you've contributed meaningfully to d thread! @OP, as some other posters said, life has dealt some pple wit a heavy hand and they don't ve d luxury of being choosy anymore. a typical person esp woman wouldn't want to do such but as they say, there is dignity in labour and it's better to do such horrible jobs than steal. i went to balogun market one day wit my cousin durin d prep for her wedding and we saw a child of 7 or 8yrs working as an alabaaru (those that help people carry heavy loads on their head). everybody was screaming b'cos d sight was horrible to the eyes! d child carried cartons of wine piled high on a plank on his/her head (d child was so small that d face was not too visible). anytime i reflect on it, i still wonder who was so heartless to hire that child! i rather give d child some money or find out how d parents are and 'talk' to them.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by EfemenaXY: 4:58pm On Aug 11, 2012
spyder880: The trend these days is to have a family where both man and wife work to make ends meet, but are there ways to keep the "weaker gender" from doing tough jobs which were supposed to be left for the men, or where do we draw the lines? Again, should women work at all outside the home to make additional money for the family?

What do you think?

There are a lot of factors that need to be taken into consideration here: Educational background, job opportunities, maritial status (i.e single? widowed? etc)

Although I personally wouldn't want to be in a situation where such jobs are the only available options for me, it is at the end of the day, more self respecting and better than prostitution.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2012
I feel so bad when I see women doing hard labour. . . .I dont think I can carry a 20kg of cement but look at at an old woman with a 50kg cement on her.May God help the poor.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by CHIMSKY(m): 5:26pm On Aug 11, 2012
Na condition.If you know the level of poverty in the land,you will understand that as bad as things might seem for you,you are mightily blessed.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Dbboy(m): 5:43pm On Aug 11, 2012
Must everybody work in an office or are you advocating they sit at home instead of encouraging this women we re busy taking panadol for there headach. Go to china and india and see how their women work.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2012
Ok so first and formost i got a little offended when you refered to women as being the "weaker gender" (That is very untrue by the way, considering the fact that women can do what men can do much more better) But as for the topic, I think that the work should be split equally between both men and women. Noone should do a work that is too hard or a work that is too easy. Women shouldn't be used as slave and men shouldn't be used as Robots.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by kumbalo(m): 6:15pm On Aug 11, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . woman have been doing hard work for millenia. From the women who helped in the building of the pyramids, the great wall of china, to those who help in wars. I think you are asking the wrong question because the answers are obvious. If you are a man and you do not want your wife to do "hard work" then you ought to, before you get married, ensure that

a) You have significant savings set aside for you two and the children you expect from your marriage

b) Get a woman who understands, agrees and is willing to work with you to achieve your goal

c) ensure the woman is at least skilled enough so she would not need to resort to doing hard labor should there come a time when the family needs her to aid in generating money for it's survival. I mean if you take a village woman with no real skills for a wife, chances are she will only get work that requires hard labor if she goes out looking for work.
seconded
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by solomon111(m): 6:25pm On Aug 11, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Ok so first and formost i got a little offended when you refered to women as being the "weaker gender" (That is very untrue by the way, considering the fact that women can do what men can do much more better) But as for the topic, I think that the work should be split equally between both men and women. Noone should do a work that is too hard or a work that is too easy. Women shouldn't be used as slave and men shouldn't be used as Robots.
It has been proven scientifically and by experience, that women are the weaker vessels,especially where manual labour is concerned.
The areas where women CAN be better than men,is where technical or highly skilled work is concerned.
So like or not,the phrase "women are the weaker vessels" is not completely false.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by DonaldGenes(m): 6:29pm On Aug 11, 2012
Ninilowo: Noooo not at all. Women, the pride of a nation.
who told you that
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Aug 11, 2012
bugmenot: In the western world, women do everything. I was surprised to see women driving commercial busses as large as what we call luxurious busses and even larger. I actually had a Canadian friend who was in the army, she drove larger trucks, I think 18 wheelers or thereabout. More recently, I've seen lots of women working at (road) construction sites, I've actually seen one operating a caterpillar, digging trenches. It's tough, no doubt, but it's what puts food on the table for them. Better than stealing, I've heard of Nigerian women leading gangs of robbers! I've actually seen Nigerian women driving 15 seater busses (remember City bus) in Lagos.

Sitting driving a trailer is hard work? Driving a tractor is hardwork? Dude!!! That ain't hard work.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
solomon111: It has been proven scientifically and by experience, that women are the weaker vessels,especially where manual labour is concerned.
The areas where women CAN be better than men,is where technical or highly skilled work is concerned.
So like or not,the phrase "women are the weaker vessels" is not completely false.
Sir sometimes science doesn't apply in real life, for example I am stronger than my guy bestfriend, I can beat him in arm wrestling, and maybe i can take him up in a fight if it comes to it e.t.c. but When you see me you had think i was "weak" and vunerable because after all i am a woman and i am short and skinny.

With that said and done, I do agree with this other post.

Okiki_Oluwa: Women are not as strong as men, but they can engage their brain & their little strength to do a job.
The women in these pics were doing that job cos they were probably poor.
Last Bullet; Hardwork is not meant for either man nor woman.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by bugmenot: 7:15pm On Aug 11, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Sitting driving a trailer is hard work? Driving a tractor is hardwork? Dude!!! That ain't hard work.

I never saw a naija woman drive a trailer or tractor. Or has anyone seen one?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 11, 2012
In the beginning, it was not so... But with the situation of things now.. Things like
The man dying early...
The man being a 'good for nothing' man
Marrying plenty wives and not being able to cater for them.. And so many others I don't care to mention... Women are now forced to do crazy jobs to be able to cater for themselves and the family.. A typical case study is Ebonyi state...we have more women on construction sites than men.. Uwa mmebi!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? / Share Some Myths You Heard While Growing Up / When A Cheating Spouse Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.