Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,112 members, 7,977,211 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 10:15 PM

Should Women Do Hard Work? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Women Do Hard Work? (11868 Views)

See What A Lady Posted About Husbands & Wife Battery: Women Do You Agree? / Should Women Change Their Dressing Once They Get Married? / The Things Nigerian Women Do To Find Husbands(Men Beware) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 11, 2012
Habba! shocked
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 11, 2012
Personally,i can never support women engaging in hard and straneous work. However,some women had taken up greater challenges than what society,norms imposed on their performance and productivity.They are becoming assets and not liability. Gone are the days when women are sitting in the kitchens when men take decisions.Women now do both corporate and hard work just to assist their family. However,i believe women can engage their creativity and natural apt for arts and craft,business sence,managerial skill to create a money spinning venture for themselves which require low startup capital with good packaging and know how.Then she wont have to engage in straneous,non lucrative menial jobs.I believe our women shld be ready to take risks and exploit their talents to help themselves and family.This is self satisfying,honourable than prostitution and stealing.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by cfours: 8:19pm On Aug 11, 2012
a woman is finally getting paid to carry load on her head and all of a sudden it's considered "hard work".
what was it before when she was doing it for free? slave work?

women have always worked harder than men. that's a fact.

I think this OP is just asking if women should be paid to do hard work as a profession.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by cfours: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2012
Should women do hard work? FOOLISH QUESTION.THEY'VE BEEN DOING UNPAID HARD WORK FOR CENTURIES
Should women get PAID for their hard work? YES.

[img]http://totallyfemale.files./2008/09/four-women-carrying-firewood.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_MvA9pmhrkTU/TGJf6v_Sd2I/AAAAAAAAA8c/6IVRLEJuNyk/s1600/pounding+yam.JPG[/img]

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by jadelyn007(f): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2012
The question shdnt b 'shld women do hard labour/work'.d question shld b 'WOULD U ALLOW UR MOTHER/WIFE/SISTER/DAUGHTER DO DIS KIND OF HARD LABOUR WHILE U'RE STILL ALIVE?'
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by mrperfect(m): 10:56pm On Aug 11, 2012
Depends on the scenario, yes.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 11, 2012
Hows the picture supposed to demean the women working hard to buy bread? Very much impressed, actually.

That's what I love about Nigerian women. . . . nothing is too demeaning for them to do to provide for their family.

@OP,
What kinda question is this? It's only a third world country that would ask such question.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 12, 2012
c.fours:

LMAO. That's funny
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by vanbonattel: 9:46am On Aug 12, 2012
c.fours:
Should women do hard work? FOOLISH QUESTION.THEY'VE BEEN DOING UNPAID HARD WORK FOR CENTURIES
Should women get PAID for their hard work? YES.

[img]http://totallyfemale.files./2008/09/four-women-carrying-firewood.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_MvA9pmhrkTU/TGJf6v_Sd2I/AAAAAAAAA8c/6IVRLEJuNyk/s1600/pounding+yam.JPG[/img]

Daft comparison, should the husband pay wages to their wife for fetching firewood and water? Who then pays the husband?

I think women should sit at home and nurse the kids while men should do all external works and bring money home. SMH on women tigers, riding their men to death and abandoning the kids at home.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by vanbonattel: 9:49am On Aug 12, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Hows the picture supposed to demean the women working hard to buy bread? Very much impressed, actually.

That's what I love about Nigerian women. . . . nothing is too demeaning for them to do to provide for their family.

@OP,
What kinda question is this? It's only a third world country that would ask such question.

Men are to blame for this, because if they provided for the woman, she will be home watching home movies. Some men are lazy

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Johndoe100(m): 10:11am On Aug 12, 2012
c.fours:
a woman is finally getting paid to carry load on her head and all of a sudden it's considered "hard work".
what was it before when she was doing it for free? slave work?

I think this OP is just asking if women should be paid to do hard work as a profession.

Typical family section wanna be white woman. Women SHARE in the work alongside the men.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Clady(f): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2012
Ama28:
Sorry Nina but you talk like someone whose brain is in her mouth. Which of the ventures you mention does not require capital? Nobody will want to do strenuous and menial jobs!
Our economy has made life miserable for some people. So don't look down from ur high horse and spit out. These women are people's parents, in my line of work I have seen women doing worse jobs just to see their children through our supposed free education scheme.
my thoughts too
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by tpia5: 7:13pm On Aug 12, 2012
engrtee: B4 women were d weaker sex.they dont work hard,just stay at home and raise the children.

Today,they want to make money. They arent satisfied wit staying at home.they want to president.they started pushn for genda equality,woman empowerment.what a man can do a woman can do better.

THEY BROUGHT IT TO THEMSELF.WHY COMPLAIN

you seem ignorant.

when did women stay home and not work hard?

that's a recent phenomenon, because majority of nigerian women in the olden days, had farms where they planted and harvested crops.

do you want to prove they didnt?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by tpia5: 7:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
Youngzedd:

Na condition cause am POVERTY in general.

end of.

the women have mouths to feed, but i suppose the op would prefer to see them p.rostituting.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by tpia5: 7:35pm On Aug 12, 2012
but are there ways to keep the "weaker gender" from doing tough jobs which were supposed to be left for the men

well, where are the men?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by vanbonattel: 6:56am On Aug 13, 2012
tpia@:

you seem ignorant.

when did women stay home and not work hard?

that's a recent phenomenon, because majority of nigerian women in the olden days, had farms where they planted and harvested crops.

do you want to prove they didnt?

Can you prove those women dont have farms as well as the concrete labour and house chores?

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by tpia5: 7:41am On Aug 13, 2012
^^and how does that make you look good?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by vanbonattel: 7:44am On Aug 13, 2012
tpia@:
^^and how does that make you look good?

Made me laugh cos you didnt have an answer grin

1 Like

Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by sucezTP(f): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . woman have been doing hard work for millenia. From the women who helped in the building of the pyramids, the great wall of china, to those who help in wars. I think you are asking the wrong question because the answers are obvious. If you are a man and you do not want your wife to do "hard work" then you ought to, before you get married, ensure that

a) You have significant savings set aside for you two and the children you expect from your marriage

b) Get a woman who understands, agrees and is willing to work with you to achieve your goal

c) ensure the woman is at least skilled enough so she would not need to resort to doing hard labor should there come a time when the family needs her to aid in generating money for it's survival. I mean if you take a village woman with no real skills for a wife, chances are she will only get work that requires hard labor if she goes out looking for work.

That is it!
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by tpia5: 3:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
van bonattel:

Made me laugh cos you didnt have an answer grin

I dont think you understand your own posts.

So, in your opinion, its better for them to beg or p.rostitute instead of work?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by EfemenaXY: 5:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
I've just got to ask this:

That picture of the 4 ladies with cans of water on their head, is it real? I mean they look sooooo dark!

Abi na photoshop sef? undecided
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by dayokanu(m): 6:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
I have always believed there are roles for female and roles for male.

naturally Men are physically stronger than women so jobs that involve high physical exertion should be more for the men. E.g warfare, heavy lifting etc

That is the point most feminist tend to overlook deliberately, Naturally you are weaker physically, no point trying to turn you into what you were not created to be.

but if you are for equality then you must do everything a man can do.

If you say women are equal to men, Show me any woman who can run as fast as Tyson gay never mind Usain Bolt,
Show me why in weightlifting men lift more,
show me any woman who can beat Klitschko or any tennis player who can beat Federer/Nadal
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Afam4eva(m): 6:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
Most women don't have the mental and physical capacity to do the work that men(not all men) do. Forget all this talk of "what a man a woman can do better" or the usual gender equality crap. Human beings are created differently and everyone has a purpose in life. It's unfortunate that some men that it's their duty to fend for their family are falling short of their responsibility, so the women have to do to take care of her family.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by cfours: 5:40am On Aug 16, 2012
afam4eva: Most women don't have the mental and physical capacity to do the work that men(not all men) do. Forget all this talk of "what a man a woman can do better" or the usual gender equality crap. Human beings are created differently and everyone has a purpose in life. It's unfortunate that some men that it's their duty to fend for their family are falling short of their responsibility, so the women have to do to take care of her family.

As the picture suggest, there are many women who have that physical capacity. So why are you against them doing it?
basically your post is saying that it is not women's responsibility to fend for her family when in most cases, women already shoulder most of that responsibility. I'm not talking about middle class people that populate this website. but go to the poorer places that constitute over 50% of the country, women are head of households. they perform back breaking work to take care of themselves and children. To me, maybe most of you here are just sheltered and never seen a woman performing hard work in your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tThFKU4RtU
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by cfours: 5:48am On Aug 16, 2012
van bonattel:

Daft comparison, should the husband pay wages to their wife for fetching firewood and water? Who then pays the husband?

I think women should sit at home and nurse the kids while men should do all external works and bring money home. SMH on women tigers, riding their men to death and abandoning the kids at home.

I'm talking about employers paying wages.
The same person that is paying the husband should be capable of hiring a wife that's up to the task.
Most of those women are self employed or working for free for their families.

A woman who sits at home must be lucky to have a financially well off husband.
I personally would not mind marrying a rich husband that will enable me to "sit at home"

again many people posting on this thread are middle class or higher. This thread is stupid and senseless to a person who probably grew up poor because such a person will be surrounded be working women who do hard work all the time.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by spyder880(m): 9:12pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ahaaaa! cheesy grin
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Fhemmmy: 11:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
Not this kinda hardwork . . . Yes a woman ought to work hard but not like this one, this kinda environment, i dont think is fair for them . .. that is the bush, even a big man like myself runs from snake, what would they do faced with such?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by princeonx: 2:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
Fhemmmy: Not this kinda hardwork . . . Yes a woman ought to work hard but not like this one, this kinda environment, i dont think is fair for them . .. that is the bush, even a big man like myself runs from snake, what would they do faced with such?
Here I come Oga fhemmmy:
Like I was saying in the building thread, this women are not having fun, I doubt if they like this labour jobs but condition and circumstances lead them to it. Do you think this folks will be climbing that wooden satires with pan of gravel on their head if they have a teaching license/job? If they have N500,000/N2m in their account to start up a trade or business? As a matter of fact some will pass out if you show or hand them a bag of N200,000naira!
So, taking us back to if women should do such labour? My answer is No they shouldn't and remember I also said in the other thread that no one should carry gravel on their head both men and women because that's what machines are for but in a country or situation where there's no machine or jobs for even graduates what do you expect? They have to eat don't they? Abi u go western union $$$$ to them lol? So my brother we can go on this forever and I will still give you a million reason why they are doing the job but no one reason claiming its right. What about the graduates that spent years in school? Will you now say its right for them to do this hard/labour jobs because they're men? Or ride Okada, or do conductor? No! They would love to buy/sell cars like me and you but circumstances forces people into what they normally won't do. So my brother I understand and see your point and I won't want my wife, mom, sisters, or daughter to do such job sh;!t happen. If there's no solid future plan including education, savings, and investment to prepare them for the future anything can happen. And what will you say if I tell you that some of those women working for Spyder live/share one single room with their husband and 3,4,5 children? What will you say if I tell you that some crazy husband out there will still want her to come home after that labour and prepare his meal? Then turn around and what sex from that same women climbing wooden stairs with gravel on her head? My brother, life sometimes is a b!t(h! Period.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Fhemmmy: 2:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
Chairman, I am glad that we at least agreed on one thing: No human should be doing what they doing, but i just have some softspot for women that made me thing they should not be allowed to do such a job . . . i do agree with you that they need help and most would love to start a trade, but how much are they making from this kinda hard labor that would be enuf for them to be able to save anything at all . . . and to make matter worse like you have mentioned, the husband will expect such woman to run home, cook and get the kids ready fro school the following day, as a matter of fact would wanna climb such woman at night.
So here is the question, how can me and you and the rest help to change the destiny of such women?
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by princeonx: 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
Efemena_xy: I've just got to ask this:

That picture of the 4 ladies with cans of water on their head, is it real? I mean they look sooooo dark!

Abi na photoshop sef? undecided
I know a guy from Sudan in my church that you will actually describe those women above as "white women" if they stand next to him lol! Whenever he smile everybody around have no option than to laugh because his dirty brownish set of teeth seems to be the only let me call it white thing on him! Even his eyes are almost black seriously!
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by princeonx: 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
Fhemmmy: Chairman, I am glad that we at least agreed on one thing: No human should be doing what they doing, but i just have some softspot for women that made me thing they should not be allowed to do such a job . . . i do agree with you that they need help and most would love to start a trade, but how much are they making from this kinda hard labor that would be enuf for them to be able to save anything at all . . . and to make matter worse like you have mentioned, the husband will expect such woman to run home, cook and get the kids ready fro school the following day, as a matter of fact would wanna climb such woman at night.
So here is the question, how can me and you and the rest help to change the destiny of such women?
Me and you including Dangote, IBB, Dantata, Bill Gate, Nigeria government, and US government can not fix or change every single poor home out there! Where do you want to start? Remember we're only talking about the women that are into hard labour jobs! What about the ones on the street with kids begging? How many will you change their destiny? How much do you have?
I was discussing Nigeria late last month when a friend invited me to naija independent party, I really didn't see the point in celebrating anything as one Nigeria knowing very well that after the party here in the US I will not get close to any group of northerner when I visit naija for the fear of being a Christian or somebody exploding around me. Where do you start in fixing a broken system? I hate politic and this will somehow take us there! We have so called leaders and government that are both in position and financially than me and you yet they're doing nothing. To answer your question my brother, I don't know oh! Lol! I don't even think its possible to eliminate poverty completely.
Re: Should Women Do Hard Work? by Fhemmmy: 3:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
prince_onx:
Me and you including Dangote, IBB, Dantata, Bill Gate, Nigeria government, and US government can not fix or change every single poor home out there! Where do you want to start? Remember we're only talking about the women that are into hard labour jobs! What about the ones on the street with kids begging? How many will you change their destiny? How much do you have?
I was discussing Nigeria late last month when a friend invited me to naija independent party, I really didn't see the point in celebrating anything as one Nigeria knowing very well that after the party here in the US I will not get close to any group of northerner when I visit naija for the fear of being a Christian or somebody exploding around me. Where do you start in fixing a broken system? I hate politic and this will somehow take us there! We have so called leaders and government that are both in position and financially than me and you yet they're doing nothing. To answer your question my brother, I don't know oh! Lol! I don't even think its possible to eliminate poverty completely.

Yes, we cant eliminate poverty, but we could have effect on one or 2 life . . . Also, some of those with kids on the street begging for money, i think there is a need to do something about it.

You just dull my hands, cos u just painted a picture of a "No hope for the hopeless" in Nigeria and that really saddens my heart . . . cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Home Is Breaking / Handling Gold-diggers & Men Insecure Of Richer Partners / Pictures Of Dance Queen, Olufunke Ayotunde Kafayat `kaffy` Wedding To Joe Ameh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.