Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,151 members, 7,943,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:42 AM

Why People Dont Get Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why People Dont Get Jobs (36166 Views)

I Want To Help Five Nairalander Get Jobs Before May 10 (closed) / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. / Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Pecca: 5:41pm On Aug 21, 2012
maskara01: Well from every angle where everyone is coming from ranging from where and how u send your CV's to the economic factor down to the GEJ thing, you all are right. But one thing I'll like us to consider is our mindset! Yes our mind set. Some job seekers will say because they dint have a degree, or they dint make a 2.1 etc they can't get a job. Well it may be true be as learned people we shouldn't let our desires shape our thinking and that will go along way in getting a dream job.
One said because the blackberry signatire is present, they may not give u the job. Well this may be true but my question is that, is there a restriction to where u can send your CV from? Its the CV the employer needs not where its sent from. Since the CV is your image and the BB fone, I'll like to say that this issue is not valid.
Another said there are no jobs, yes there may be less jobs but the irony is that there are jobs actually and if you position yourself well enough you'll get one. It includes applying for the right job. Look at this scenerio, GTBank is recruiting and Obasanjo Farms Limited is recruiting at thesame time. Where do you think an Agric Engineer will apply to? Your answer is as good as mine! Yes and this is why I said there is a need for job seekers to apply for jobs that will show their relevance.
Also qualification, the reason why about 55% proceed for Msc is actually because they have a 2.2 and can't get a Job so with their Degrees armed with and Msc they feel they stand a chance of getting a job! On the other hand they become over qualified and some crazy employee feel they can't employ them. Or can't even afford them.
Finally money. Imagine a jobless graduate for 3 years without a job saying he or she can't settle down for an 80k per month job? Simply because its too small! Okay if its too small go and create yours and be your boss.

I believe 4 things get one a Job
-the result
-ability to sell oneself to employers
-Information
-God.

With the right blend of these 4 things, one would surely get a dream job.

I believe you, but near absence of jobs in the country put the unemployed in a very bad position...in short sometimes you wonder why you spent all those yrs on regular education? Why not part-time?

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Originakalokalo(m): 7:03pm On Aug 21, 2012
If you are still submitin CVs to get a job,you have not arrived.guys get job this days without submitin anytin.you just send yor name and the appointment letter is prepared.durin documentation,you then submit yor credentials.i have seen it happen.so guys,stop all this "CV etiquette" and face realities.if you are not connected,you berra run to God!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by yeye4live(m): 7:05pm On Aug 21, 2012
@posta so wat re u oferin here,cuse 4me no job,or re u d job magician
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 21, 2012
I wonder how someone that read anthropology can get job in this country..

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Krest247: 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2012
Employer are not only looking for school smart people but someone that is street smart, that can't work to get things done with or with supervision.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by emmerks(m): 7:30pm On Aug 21, 2012
Thanks @ hustla.

Little things are little but they go a long way. Have been able to remove the signature following your instruction.

I remember i once sent a mail to an international institution and later realised the signature was there, I was so embarrassed.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by maskara01: 7:54pm On Aug 21, 2012
@pecca....
Thanks buddy but I believe that we can still make it out of all these impossibilty. Funny enuf if u look at this trend, its been one sided. What about the bunch of folks that can't defend what ever they claim to carry? I don't wanna give examples but its shocking. At some point in time I realised why foriegn degrees and local ones can't be compared. Its painful though but we just have to face it. But all thesame on both ends, we should be prepared.

@zangiff....
If u say naija is bleeped, better pack ur load and go to Ghana!
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Shaw007(m): 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2012
Solution,1st class
2nd class upper
Msc
Bottom line:graduate bIg,4 dose that are still there like me,do not let d wind of 'sociality' carry you off
funny ppl shud say there are no jObs though. . .
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by 234GT(m): 9:03pm On Aug 21, 2012
Nice thread, but the reality is that there are far more graduates than jobs. I was in unilag last week to write nigerian breweries test. There were over 700 of us that day writing tests for position of trainee brewers. The test was written over 7 days in three centers across nigeria. Now, lets do the maths. 7*3*700=14,700. Nigerian breweries cannot employ more than 20 out of this number as trainee brewers. State governors are not helping matters. They are sacking workers to make money available for them to steal. And I also strongly feel that we should blame the older people for giving birth to too many children. This is the cause of the current population explosion. How many people even scale through aptitude tests.

4 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by uceee(m): 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2012
234GT: Nice thread, but the reality is that there are far more graduates than jobs. I was in unilag last week to write nigerian breweries test. There were over 700 of us that day writing tests for position of trainee brewers. The test was written over 7 days in three centers across nigeria. Now, lets do the maths. 7*3*700=14,700. Nigerian breweries cannot employ more than 20 out of this number as trainee brewers. State governors are not helping matters. They are sacking workers to make money available for them to steal. And I also strongly feel that we should blame the older people for giving birth to too many children. This is the cause of the current population explosion. How many people even scale through aptitude tests.
Depressing statistics. This is why enterpreneurship is the way to go. Government & the existing private coys cannot employ everybody. There are just too many people graduating every year. But then, starting and running any business that employs up to 30 people in Naija is no easy feat.

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by AK481(m): 9:35pm On Aug 21, 2012
In year 2011,the nysc (batch a,b and c) graduated 295,350 youth corper and a theology school in 2011 graduated 1500 in lagos graduates.while less than 15 % of the ex corpers are gainfully employed,all the theologian are all gainfully employed.

The reason is very simple,look around you,u ll notice that all former warehouse av turned to churches and factory av closed.

My broda,job scarce die!,all graduate workers surrounding me all got jobs thru somebody(you need special grace of God to be call for an interview by the company self)and as for thoes one million examination like(dragnet n workforce);dat 1 na advert joor.

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by vivalavida(m): 9:47pm On Aug 21, 2012
I love this thread.I believe the main reason is due to the scarcity of jobs in this country.People of retirable age arent ready to retire.Also most government parastatals dont help matters.I have been on the haunt for a job now for a year and half since i finished my youth service.You find a situation where government agencies which should be the main employer of labour are taking far too few people.How can bodies such as the Nigerian airforce,navy and army take just 20 graduates for DSSC to camp and after s@reening,you have like 6graduates per state.how does that help reduce unemployment? You havent even brought in the connection issue.if you dont have a senator by your side or a top military brass,no way for you.I applied with conso breweries last year for trainee brewer.More than 600 people wrote a test where from ma sources on nairaland,only one person will be picked.
Op,there are no jobs in Nigeria.Godfatherism is now the trend.If you are connected,you have a job.If u have first class and u dont have any to push your cv,u can as well use your cert to wipe your ass.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 21, 2012
@Op....thumbs up...lemme add;
I was watching a movie audition on the TV, the guys were asked to act a monologue scene, I was surprised when all of them were busy acting dialogue(whereby they choose a character and they talk to an imaginary person). I was just like, you have all failed totally!!! When they were interviewing one or two of them, they were very confident that they gave their best. But as expected, none of those in that batch were selected. I can bet that those guys will be the first to claim nepotism.

What am I driving at? nigerians make very obvious silly mistakes when applying for a job.
What I always tell nigerians are "there are jobs around, if you attend up to 3 interviews and you are not chosen in any of the 3, it is not any Stu/pid leg, it is YOU that is faulted". I hope this thread gives them more insight cos they never want to learn as well. Chao

3 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by deleo16(m): 11:12pm On Aug 21, 2012
where is the job self when corruption has eaten deep in naija unemployment rate 32% compared to that of US 8% euro zone debt deepens recession era has worsen the case
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 11:17pm On Aug 21, 2012
"Sent from my BlackBerry®
Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy
high speed internet service with
Etisalat easy net, available at all our
experience centres"

Please people should try and comprehend further. For one I doubt the op meant the signature being present was a bad factor. What I inderstood was that if you applied for a job by pushing your cv to the address without any message in the mail, the only thing the person opening the mail would see in your email body is

experience centres"

That's what the op meant..OP,am I correct?? Personally, I've written about 8 aptitude tests. I applied for each and every one of them using my blackberry etisalat smartphone...lolz..what a coincidence shey?? I am hoping this month or next month I get called for my second and final interview in one of the places I passed the aptitude test. My observation is this,when I applied to jobs simply by attaching my CV and send, I received no feedback. But in life, change is the only constant thing. You change positively only if you observe the right things, which I did and with research here and there( I mainly use my bb to research, learn and download apps for my pc and movies,instead of wasting the megabyte pinging), I learnt how to write cover letter and also learnt to tailor it to a specific employer. Ever since then I have received aptitude test invite from kpmg,nestle,consobrew,P/G,nestle,mobil,chevron and some others....one thing I also did was to change the format of my CV and that helped a lot.
The thing is am sure I have applied to all the companies in nigeria,both the registered and unregistered companies(even the semi-registered ones) because no matter how hard or discouraging the nigerian condition of always sending out cv seems, I inject positivity in myself and tailor out a cover letter and cv for a particular job application.
Now to the part I want to talk about. One of the numerous reasons we don't get jobb in nigeria is really because a lot of underground runs do go on. 4 months to the end of my service, I passed the kpmg aptitude test and was told I would be called for an interview. That was my first ever aptitude test and to say I was happy would be an understatement. I was over the moon with thoughts of getting a job immediately after service, not minding all the transportation money I spent to lagos from my place of service. Can you believe till this day I have heard nothing from kpmg? I now heard, from a very very very very reliable source that the department I applied for,candidates have already been accepted in there and its now filled up so they didn't know what to do with me(and one other friend of mine)...underground runs...same thing with nestle,mobil and chevron aptitude test I wrote..over how many months now and nothing has been heard. I now strongly believe underground runs are taking place,shortchanging us that naturally followed due process. Please, this is my opinion. I stand to be corrected.
Still, I never give up. All this are challenges meant to be conquered. Right now as am typing this, my status is still jobless graduate and all I have to my name is didty naira. Am planning to start teaching when schools open and also to explore my ICT skills. However Am so positive and prayerful I will get something very soon. I went to school and I excelled for over 18 years to build a career. And build it I WILL

19 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by chuquiz(m): 11:21pm On Aug 21, 2012
evvyking: Are u saying we shdnt snd applications via blackberries? We must go tru the laptop? Cuz I dint get dat part well enuf
help me ask this recruitiers oh
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by ismokeweed1(f): 12:04am On Aug 22, 2012
9ja, a country with a short availability of jobs boasting over 150 independent universities each graduating over 2,000 students per year

MY PEOPLE, WHAT IS OUR WAY FORWARD ? ? ?
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by sashaa(f): 12:20am On Aug 22, 2012
Jobexpert: Mistake No 6. Never Applying For A Job

I know it sounds foolish, but many people do think getting a job is ONLY by connection and have never applied to a specific place.
OK, let me ask at this forum, how many of you reading this can mention any specific company that they have applied to for a job?

Reply under...where did you apply to, what did you apply for, and when?

Lets count, pls be honest.
lots, with the key ones stamped in my head
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by ExcelDec(m): 12:25am On Aug 22, 2012
loladeking: "Sent from my BlackBerry®
experience centres"

Please people should try and comprehend further. For one I doubt the op meant the signature being present was a bad factor. What I inderstood was that if you applied for a job by pushing your cv to the address without any message in the mail, the only thing the person opening the mail would see in your email body is

experience centres"

That's what the op meant..OP,am I correct?? Personally, I've written about 8 aptitude tests. I applied for each and every one of them using my blackberry etisalat smartphone...lolz..what a coincidence shey?? I am hoping this month or next month I get called for my second and final interview in one of the places I passed the aptitude test. My observation is this,when I applied to jobs simply by attaching my CV and send, I received no feedback. But in life, change is the only constant thing. You change positively only if you observe the right things, which I did and with research here and there( I mainly use my bb to research, learn and download apps for my pc and movies,instead of wasting the megabyte pinging), I learnt how to write cover letter and also learnt to tailor it to a specific employer. Ever since then I have received aptitude test invite from kpmg,nestle,consobrew,P/G,nestle,mobil,chevron and some others....one thing I also did was to change the format of my CV and that helped a lot.
The thing is am sure I have applied to all the companies in nigeria,both the registered and unregistered companies(even the semi-registered ones) because no matter how hard or discouraging the nigerian condition of always sending out cv seems, I inject positivity in myself and tailor out a cover letter and cv for a particular job application.
Now to the part I want to talk about. One of the numerous reasons we don't get jobb in nigeria is really because a lot of underground runs do go on. 4 months to the end of my service, I passed the kpmg aptitude test and was told I would be called for an interview. That was my first ever aptitude test and to say I was happy would be an understatement. I was over the moon with thoughts of getting a job immediately after service, not minding all the transportation money I spent to lagos from my place of service. Can you believe till this day I have heard nothing from kpmg? I now heard, from a very very very very reliable source that the department I applied for,candidates have already been accepted in there and its now filled up so they didn't know what to do with me(and one other friend of mine)...underground runs...same thing with nestle,mobil and chevron aptitude test I wrote..over how many months now and nothing has been heard. I now strongly believe underground runs are taking place,shortchanging us that naturally followed due process. Please, this is my opinion. I stand to be corrected.
Still, I never give up. All this are challenges meant to be conquered. Right now as am typing this, my status is still jobless graduate and all I have to my name is didty naira. Am planning to start teaching when schools open and also to explore my ICT skills. However Am so positive and prayerful I will get something very soon. I went to school and I excelled for over 18 years to build a career. And build it I WILL

My Bros, all yu ve listd has been tested here....neva theless do not lose hope, our miracle is in the pipe line and when it matures it will be double for our troubles in Jesus name. Amen
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by bliss750: 1:05am On Aug 22, 2012
story story, story. i beg make i hear word. abi no bi dis naija wey some ppl no even apply and na dem den go call for d resumption of d job. no bi by application abeg make we see front.

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by AK481(m): 2:08am On Aug 22, 2012
Quoted from spedyboi" it is YOU that is faulted".

Wat language is dis ?,this english is coming from someone insulting nigerian graduate.
show me a graduate that went to uk for master and didn't get it?.
Small pikin,niaraland is now 18+,bye bye.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 2:11am On Aug 22, 2012
234GT: Nice thread, but the reality is that there are far more graduates than jobs. I was in unilag last week to write nigerian breweries test. There were over 700 of us that day writing tests for position of trainee brewers. The test was written over 7 days in three centers across nigeria. Now, lets do the maths. 7*3*700=14,700. Nigerian breweries cannot employ more than 20 out of this number as trainee brewers. State governors are not helping matters. They are sacking workers to make money available for them to steal. And I also strongly feel that we should blame the older people for giving birth to too many children. This is the cause of the current population explosion. How many people even scale through aptitude tests.

looks depressing but with hardwork and focus nothing is impossible. i should know; wrote the sales executive test slightly over a year ago under simliar circumstances. And in the end we were only about 25 that were taken. Though about 15 who were put on waiting list resumed early this year. In Naija aptitude tests are the leveler. if you always prepare well and customarily pass it and make it to the next interview stage, the sky's your limit! Goodluck!
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 22, 2012
AK 48: Quoted from spedyboi" it is YOU that is faulted".

Wat language is dis ?,this english is coming from someone insulting nigerian graduate.
show me a graduate that went to uk for master and didn't get it?.
Small pikin,niaraland is now 18+,bye bye.

Dear, I can see the whole concept has confused you. Sorry hey, I'm not a grammar coach. No doubt you used to skip your English lessons. No wonder you can't get a job, your formal letter must have been very horrible. Check it. Its not too late anyway, you can always grab your past English textbooks or get a language coach.
Lols, when you want to find your Gbagauns, please don't bother scrutinizing my posts...cos I'm the least of them. wink

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Tedpgrass: 3:47am On Aug 22, 2012
@ LoladeKing

Such optimism is not commonplace in NL.
It's a breath of fresh air.
But I wish you the very best in your job search.

Hopefully, you get to share the good news here very soon.

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Sanguine77(m): 6:51am On Aug 22, 2012
Yea, it is not easy trying to succeed in Nigeria with neither capital nor a job. Your information is timely and highly educative. Some people (including myself) really know what they are doing and have equally applied to some firms and stuffs and have received no response yet. What can be done? masterdethirdeye@yahoo.com.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Hemanwel(m): 6:53am On Aug 22, 2012
emmerks: Thanks @ hustla.

Little things are little but they go a long way. Have been able to remove the signature following your instruction.

I remember i once sent a mail to an international institution and later realised the signature was there, I was so embarrassed.
I just dnt get dis signature tin ur talkin abt.I'll b so grateful if u shed mor light cos I've applied 4 lotta jobs usin my smartphone n hvnt bin contacted.I realy hope 2 get ur reply.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 22, 2012
evvyking: Are u saying we shdnt snd applications via blackberries? We must go tru the laptop? Cuz I dint get dat part well enuf
I use a bb too & that's called a signature. To delete/remove it, goto ur mail settings in d set up folder....
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by kayswag100(m): 7:18am On Aug 22, 2012
the reason MOST of U r not employed is because u approach MOST job posts with an air of pessimism and cynicism! Always thinking every job poster is a SCAMMER!! (though MANY are!)

i got my current job with a telecom company through d yellow pages of a business magazine.

A few weeks back, some1 posted an opening 4 Customer Care Agents @ Aero Contractors on NL front page! Typical NLers posted comments like 'scam', 'retardeen poster' etc...

I gave it a shot by submitting my CV @ their abj. 8days later, i was called 4 a test. I passed the test and did interviews IMMEDIATELY! I expect their call of congratulations in a few days!

MORAL: always give job posts a shot! Nobody would point a gun @ u an say u must pay money 2 get a job. It's either it's a scam OR it isnt! What if it isnt? u HV JUST LOST A CHANCE 2 GET UR DREAM JOB!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 22, 2012
Hemanwel: I just dnt get dis signature tin ur talkin abt.I'll b so grateful if u shed mor light cos I've applied 4 lotta jobs usin my smartphone n hvnt bin contacted.I realy hope 2 get ur reply.
Yes, there's nothing bad in using your smartphone but the point is NEVER SEND AN EMPTY MAIL. Your CV should be backed by an application/cover letter in relation to the job applied for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Technical Aid Corps 2012/2014 Recruitment Interview / 28 List Of Fake/scam Companies / 'Ko Bata Fun Egbe': Will You Pack C.Ronaldo's Shoes For #5million Weekly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.