Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,850 members, 7,872,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:39 PM

Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars (7891 Views)

Cheap German Cars For Sale, Full A/C, Automatic And Less Than 500K / 2 Units Toks Toyota Picnic Auto And Manual 1.150 Nd 1.2m 08061311315 / SOLD!!!!Toyota Carina E (automatic And Neat) @ N520k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Demsy(m): 3:10pm On Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys,

Lets us give our comments and comparisons of both Automatic Transmission Cars and Manual Cars?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either of them? I feel a lot of fellows in the house will need this information so as to be able to decide which one to go for when attempting to get a car.

Lets roll,
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by kpomkwem(m): 3:20pm On Dec 31, 2007
You get better precision (hence better fuel economy and greater acceleration) with manual transmission.
The main advantage of automatic transmission is the convenience and ease of use.
Learners are highly recommended to learn driving cars with manual transmission, because if you can drive manual, you can easily drive automatic, but not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by dpresident(m): 12:20am On Jan 04, 2008
kpomkwem is right. It is because of the precision of manual gears that they are used for racing, and no racing in the world uses automatic cars. But then if you learn automatic maybe you just keep looking for automatic cars, afterall most cars come in Auto these days.

In addition, if your brake fails you may down gear to slow down a manual car but can not do that in an automatic.

Finally, i think it is easier to dance with an automatic car on the road than a manual car.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by dgb4(m): 6:16pm On Sep 20, 2008
more of these please
its educative
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by toksbumnex(m): 3:19pm On Sep 21, 2008
Automatic cars are really preferable compared to manual cars,this is because of it's ease to drive.It does not take a long to to learn unlike the manual cars.even in the car race,automatic cars are often and mostly used.
The origin of auto can also prove it.for more imformation visit www.solutiongalore..com
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by chikeze(m): 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2008
me na auto for life. driving made easy wink
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Kashif(m): 9:24am On Sep 22, 2008
The only advantage auto has over manual is convenience; nothing else. Auto makes you a near dummy driver (I am no exception).

The manual offers you control over the car. You can regulate the power delivered to the wheels with manual especially, during take off and bend negotiating (emphasis on wet/slippery roads). The auto uses torque converter while the manual uses dry clutch. This means that in manual, the entire power from the engine is delivered to the moving parts, while the torque converter saps a little in the case of auto (part of the reason manual is more fuel-efficient).

The auto transmission is bigger/heavier and heats up more easily than the manual (you woun't be wrong if you say this adds to weight of the car). Manual withstands stress a lot more than the auto, hence why they are used in heavy duty and sports vehicles. If the shifting in autos are not well programmed, you might get frustrated.

If you are good/skillful driver, manual is the way to go else, allow auto to do the driving for you. Like I said before, the advantage of auto is that you can drive it with one hand and one leg and still have space to look around. It requires less concentration and driver involvement.

Lets wait for the gurus. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by dgb4(m): 10:09am On Sep 22, 2008
thks all
more pls
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by kuntash: 10:42am On Sep 22, 2008
Driving no be punishment , if u call it exercise , well, I currently dance with both, however, thumb up for my Manual on the Highway (Naija highways like Lag- PH)- reason, u r in 100% control- and Auto for Marina-Adeola Odeku-Eko Bridge-Aba rd- Enehrhen Junction grin grin etc
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Mase3: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2008
Manual tranny is very good for those who want absolute control of the car.

However, auto tranny is convenient to drive, driving made easy!

Check this previous topic: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-60077.0.html

NB. Auto transmission is not for "lazy" people as popularly believed.
It's for people who love convenience!
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Meristem: 9:27pm On Nov 22, 2008
I have driven manual and auto and guess what? I will go for manual any day!
If your battery runs down or you need an "emergency start", you can't push an automatic car.
if you get used to automatic cars first, it's like using voice recognition software before learning to type cool
Apart from torque conversion issues, you can "roll" a manual car during fuel scarcity to maximize use of fuel. AUTOS DO NOT ADAPT TO ABNORMAL
DRIVING CONDITIONS.
You can drive a car with a faulty manual gearbox home, you can't move an auto with a gearbox fault an inch.

IN SUMMARY,NO SYSTEM PLACES YOU IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT(TORQUE/SPEED MANAGEMENT WISE) BETTER THAN A MANUAL TRANSMISSION CAR.
YOU DRIVE THE MANUAL; THE AUTO DRIVES YOU!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Mase3: 10:37pm On Nov 22, 2008
if you get used to automatic cars first, it's like using voice recognition software before learning to type

if there's voice recognition, why bother with the typing?

Auto users buy dry cell batteries where you can tell if the battery is getting bad, ok or very good.
Why bother to push/ jump-start your car?
How much be battery compared to the stress of driving a manual car in Lagos traffic?

We all know auto is more convenient, those who love "aerobics" may go on with their manual trannies!

Driving auto is less stressful, and the stress level in Lagos is ever-increasing so why not drive and auto and relieve your stress.

As per the faster pick-up time, we can match that with the auto, besides na formular 1 tracks we dey. You start up first bit we'll surely catch up with u later.

You guys ever wondered why the auto trannies are more expensive?

Don't you think the auto-makers think its more comfortable?

I stand to be corrected.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by ceaser: 5:47am On Jul 08, 2010
Meristem:

YOU DRIVE THE MANUAL; THE AUTO DRIVES YOU!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lol. I love that analysis. MTRY(Mo Ti Rérìn Yó). cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by chelseabmw(m): 11:09pm On Jul 08, 2010
i love auto
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by chelseabmw(m): 11:14pm On Jul 08, 2010
wink
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 6:57pm On Jul 09, 2010
hmmmm! i wonder if manual cars come with cruise control? grin
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by obojo(m): 7:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
Yes some do,
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by DECOtech(m): 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2010
chikeze:

me na auto for life. driving made easy  wink
lazy man.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 09, 2010
George_D:

hmmmm! i wonder if manual cars come with cruise control?  grin

They do, yes.  wink

I'll always choose manual over auto. Manuals are maintenance-free, automatics aren't. Auto's require periodic servicing, and fluid changes, if a long service life is the aim. Automatics, even the latest Tiptronics, are no match for a manual. manuals are fun to drive, you're in complete control over the car, rather than an auto that has control over you.

Automatics are also considerably heavier than a manual in the same model, with the same engine. This of course hurts fuel economy, as there's greater load on the engine, especially when in slow, stop-start traffic. Automatics also have more internal friction, which makes them less efficient than their manual counterparts. This also means there are more transmission losses in an auto All transmissions will rob the engine of some degree of power, the power at the flywheel is very different from the power at the wheels. It's higher. So for example, a 150hp car will have 150hp at the flywheel, and approx. 137 at the wheels in a manual. The auto version will have approx. 125, so we're talking a 25hp drivetrain loss, compared to a 13hp loss in a manual.

Front brake pads, brake discs and wheel bearings will wear out faster in an automatic, partly due to the extra weight, as well as the fact an auto is always "driven on the brakes", i.e you're always using the brakes to hold the car stationary. This is what kills automatics, as a lot of heat is generated in the fluid, when you're driving slowly. An automatic is most efficient at medium to high speeds, whereas a manual will be efficient at most speeds.

An automatic is more for convenience, if you can't adapt to heavy traffic conditions with a manual. I regularly sit in dense traffic on the M25, which has been named Europe's largest car park, due to the heavy traffic jams that occur there, but I'm fine with manual still. Both my left and right legs are still the same size, so using the clutch hasn't done me any harm. I like the control I have, engine braking, using the throttle to pull the car through tight corners, and balancing engine power to the wheels with my feet, something you can't do with a manual.

The most reliable of cars will sometimes have a flat battery, or a lazy starter motor. At least with a manual, you can always bump-start the car, not so with an automatic. Learning to drive is best with a manual, in Britain, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the United States, if you pass your driving test with an automatic, your driving licence will only permit you to drive an auto. If you pass with a manual, you're permitted to drive any car, auto or manual.

In all my years in the auto industry, I've probably only seen about 3 manual cars that needed replacement tyranny's, and 2 were due to driving style. On the other hand, autos are replaced a lot more often, due to their complexity. One of the reasons most wreckers yards will scrap cars with the manual tranny still in place, as they seldom get asked for them. On the other hand, autos are retained, and command high prices in the used market, as they're like gold dust.

My current car, a 2002 B6 Audi A4 3,0L V6 Avant Quattro is a tiptronic. But, I'm pulling the transmission, and replacing it with a 6-speed manual, purely for the driving experience, which I miss. I attend track days, and very few people use autos on the track, they're not ideally suited for it, whereas a manual is. One of the reasons manuals dominate motorsport. Some teams run sequential manual trannies, close to auto, but with total manual control.

Manuals aren't hard work, we just have lazy drivers, that aren't willing to put the extra effort in to pass their driving tests in a manual. I wonder what would have happened, if auto's weren't invented?

2 Likes

Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 09, 2010
Sorry, double post.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 09, 2010
[img]http://They do, yes. Wink

I'll always choose manual over auto. Manuals are maintenance-free, automatics aren't. Auto's require periodic servicing, and fluid changes, if a long service life is the aim. Automatics, even the latest Tiptronics, are no match for a manual. manuals are fun to drive, you're in complete control over the car, rather than an auto that has control over you.

Automatics are also considerably heavier than a manual in the same model, with the same engine. This of course hurts fuel economy, as there's greater load on the engine, especially when in slow, stop-start traffic. Automatics also have more internal friction, which makes them less efficient than their manual counterparts. This also means there are more transmission losses in an auto All transmissions will rob the engine of some degree of power, the power at the flywheel is very different from the power at the wheels. It's higher. So for example, a 150hp car will have 150hp at the flywheel, and approx. 137 at the wheels in a manual. The auto version will have approx. 125, so we're talking a 25hp drivetrain loss, compared to a 13hp loss in a manual.

Front brake pads, brake discs and wheel bearings will wear out faster in an automatic, partly due to the extra weight, as well as the fact an auto is always "driven on the brakes", i.e you're always using the brakes to hold the car stationary. This is what kills automatics, as a lot of heat is generated in the fluid, when you're driving slowly. An automatic is most efficient at medium to high speeds, whereas a manual will be efficient at most speeds.

An automatic is more for convenience, if you can't adapt to heavy traffic conditions with a manual. I regularly sit in dense traffic on the M25, which has been named Europe's largest car park, due to the heavy traffic jams that occur there, but I'm fine with manual still. Both my left and right legs are still the same size, so using the clutch hasn't done me any harm. I like the control I have, engine braking, using the throttle to pull the car through tight corners, and balancing engine power to the wheels with my feet, something you can't do with a manual.

The most reliable of cars will sometimes have a flat battery, or a lazy starter motor. At least with a manual, you can always bump-start the car, not so with an automatic. Learning to drive is best with a manual, in Britain, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the United States, if you pass your driving test with an automatic, your driving licence will only permit you to drive an auto. If you pass with a manual, you're permitted to drive any car, auto or manual.

In all my years in the auto industry, I've probably only seen about 3 manual cars that needed replacement tyranny's, and 2 were due to driving style. On the other hand, autos are replaced a lot more often, due to their complexity. One of the reasons most wreckers yards will scrap cars with the manual tranny still in place, as they seldom get asked for them. On the other hand, autos are retained, and command high prices in the used market, as they're like gold dust.

My current car, a 2002 B6 Audi A4 3,0L V6 Avant Quattro is a tiptronic. But, I'm pulling the transmission, and replacing it with a 6-speed manual, purely for the driving experience, which I miss. I attend track days, and very few people use autos on the track, they're not ideally suited for it, whereas a manual is. One of the reasons manuals dominate motorsport. Some teams run sequential manual trannies, close to auto, but with total manual control.

Manuals aren't hard work, we just have lazy drivers, that aren't willing to put the extra effort in to pass their driving tests in a manual. I wonder what would have happened, if auto's weren't invented?[/img]

1 Like

Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 09, 2010
[url=http://They do, yes. wink

Manuals aren't hard work, we just have lazy drivers, that aren't willing to put the extra effort in to pass their driving tests in a manual. I wonder what would have happened, if auto's weren't invented?]They do, yes. wink

Manuals aren't hard work, we just have lazy drivers, that aren't willing to put the extra effort in to pass their driving tests in a manual. I wonder what would have happened, if auto's weren't invented?[/url]
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2010
Sorry, my reply was tagged by the Spam BOT, but sorted now. smiley
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by diehard1: 10:25pm On Jul 09, 2010
car with manual gear have a lot of plus over auto cars like fuel economy, vehicular control and maintainability, but due to convenience i prefer automatic.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 9:21am On Jul 10, 2010
siena,
regardless how you try to paint manuals as being better than autos, fact remains that technological advances presently are weighing in heavily in favour of autos to the disadvantage of manuals.

i just asked if manuals have cruise control and you said yes, but how many manulas have that? what about safety enhancements like ebd, vsc, etc?

manufacturers are had put as to how to incorporate these many features in a car that requires human input to get it working, hence the reason manuals are gradually being phased out.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by femmy2010(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2010
It is all a matter of choice.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by chelseabmw(m): 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2010
wink
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by AGARIautos: 2:22pm On Jul 10, 2010
cool
MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS VS. AUTOMATIC

THE DEBATE BEGAN IN 1940, WHEN GENERAL MOTORS RELEASED THE FIRST COMMERCIAL AUTOMOBILE WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. DRIVERS NO LONGER HAD TO COORDINATE CLUTCH PEDAL AND SHIFTER OPERATION. WITH THIS CONVENIENCE CAME CERTAIN DRAWBACKS IN TERMS OF COST AND VEHICLE CONTROL THAT PERSIST TO THIS DAY. TO FIGURE OUT WHICH TRANSMISSION IS BEST FOR YOU, IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THEIR DIFFERENCES.

MANUAL FUNCTION
• A MANUAL TRANSMISSION CONSISTS OF AN INPUT SHAFT, A COUNTER SHAFT AND AN OUTPUT SHAFT. THE INPUT SHAFT CONNECTS THE ENGINE TO THE COUNTER SHAFT SO THAT THEY SPIN AT THE SAME RATE. THE COUNTER SHAFT HAS SIX GEARS THAT SPIN TOGETHER AS A UNIT. THESE CONNECT TO CORRESPONDING GEARS THAT SPIN FREELY ON THE OUTPUT SHAFT. THE OUTPUT SHAFT ALSO INCLUDES THREE "DOG CLUTCHES." THESE HAVE TEETH THAT FIT INTO GROOVES IN THE GEARS. WHEN YOU SHIFT, YOU ARE FITTING A DOG CLUTCH INTO A GEAR ON THE OUTPUT SHAFT. THIS STOPS THAT GEAR FROM SPINNING FREELY, MAKING IT THE GEAR THAT TRANSFERS POWER FROM THE ENGINE TO THE WHEELS. THE COUNTER SHAFT GEARS ARE DIFFERENT SIZES WITH RESPECT TO THEIR CORRESPONDING OUTPUT GEARS. THIS CREATES DIFFERENT GEAR RATIOS. FOR EXAMPLE, FIRST GEAR USES AN OUTPUT SHAFT GEAR MORE THAN TWICE THE SIZE OF ITS COUNTER SHAFT GEAR. THIS PROVIDES THE TORQUE NECESSARY TO MOVE THE CAR FROM A STANDSTILL.

AUTOMATIC FUNCTION
• AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION USES A "COMPOUND PLANETARY GEAR SET." THIS DESIGN CONSISTS OF RING, SUN AND PLANETARY GEARS. THE RING GEAR IS THE LARGEST AND HAS ITS TEETH ON THE INSIDE. THE SUN AND PLANETARY GEARS FIT INSIDE THE RING GEAR WITH THE SUN IN THE CENTER AND THE PLANETARY GEARS SURROUNDING IT, LINKING IT TO THE RING GEAR. SWITCHING GEARS IS A MATTER OF CHANGING WHICH OF THE THREE RECEIVES INPUT FROM THE ENGINE, WHICH PROVIDES OUTPUT TO THE WHEELS AND WHICH REMAINS STATIONARY. THE GEAR SET IS COMBINED WITH A SECOND GEAR SET OF THE SAME TYPE WITH GEARS SIZED SUCH THAT, AMONG THEM, THEY PROVIDE ALL THE NECESSARY GEAR RATIOS. A COMPLEX HYDRAULIC SYSTEM CHANGES FLUID PRESSURE IN RESPONSE TO THE SPEED OF THE CAR. BASED ON THESE PRESSURE CHANGES, A SERIES OF VALVES DETERMINES WHEN TO SHIFT.

IN 1948, OLDSMOBILE RELEASED THE FIRST AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, CALLED THE HYDRO-MATIC, WHICH MADE DRIVING A MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE TASK, SINCE SHIFTING WAS NO LONGER NECESSARY FOR THE DRIVER. SIXTY YEARS LATER, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOW MORE COMMON THAN THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION, ALSO KNOWN AS A STICK-SHIFT. THE QUESTION MOST CONSUMERS HAVE IS, WHICH TYPE OF TRANSMISSION IS BETTER? THIS LARGELY DEPENDS ON THE USER AND HER NEEDS. THE FOLLOWING GUIDE WILL HELP YOU DETERMINE WHICH IS THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU.

COST
• AS LONG AS A MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS WELL TAKEN CARE OF, MEANING THAT THE TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVELS ARE MONITORED AND FILLED ON A REGULAR BASIS, THERE IS A MUCH SMALLER LIKELIHOOD THAT IT WILL NEED REPAIRS AS COMPARED TO AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. THEY ARE ALSO LESS PRONE TO MECHANICAL FAILURE AND CHEAPER TO REPAIR. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REPAIRS ALSO CAN BE VERY COSTLY. COMBINE THAT WITH THE MUCH HIGHER INITIAL COST OF AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AND YOU CAN SAVE A LOT OF MONEY BY USING A CAR WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

LEG STRAIN
• ANY DRIVER WHO OWNS A MANUAL TRANSMISSION UNDERSTANDS HOW HARD IT IS TO DRIVE IF YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF LEG INJURY. IT IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MANAGE A CLUTCH WITH A FOOT THAT IS IN A CAST. OLDER DRIVERS ALSO FIND THE STRAIN INVOLVED IN HOLDING THE CLUTCH DOWN WHILE STOPPED IS LESS THAN COMFORTABLE. THESE SITUATIONS ARE AVOIDED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, AS ONLY ONE FOOT IS NEEDED TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE, AND THERE IS NO STRAIN INVOLVED IN DRIVING.

GAS EFFICIENCY
• MANY CONSUMERS ARE LOOKING FOR VEHICLES WITH GREATER GAS EFFICIENCY. CARS WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS TYPICALLY GET 5 TO 15 PERCENT BETTER GAS MILEAGE MAINLY ON THE HIGHWAY. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS LOSE A LOT OF POWER DUE TO THE WAY POWER IS TRANSFERRED TO THE WHEELS IN THE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF TRANSMISSION. MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS USE A DIRECT MECHANICAL LINK TO THE WHEELS, WHILE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS SUFFER FROM A PHENOMENON KNOWN AS "SLIPPAGE," WHICH CAUSES THE LOSS IN POWER, AND THUS, A LOSS IN GAS EFFICIENCY. CARS WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS ALSO GIVE THE DRIVER CONTROL OVER WHEN TO SHIFT, MAKING IT EASIER TO NEGOTIATE UNUSUAL ROAD CONDITIONS. AUTOMATICS, ON THE OTHER HAND, REQUIRE LESS OF THE DRIVER'S ATTENTION. DRIVERS OF AUTOMATICS EXPERIENCE LESS STRESS WHILE DRIVING THAN DRIVERS OF MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. HOWEVER, THERE IS NO KNOWN DIFFERENCE IN REACTION TIME TO HAZARD STIMULI BETWEEN THE TWO TYPES OF DRIVERS.

DIFFICULTY
• WHILE ALL DRIVERS SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF DRIVING BOTH AUTOMATIC AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION CARS, THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL ON LEARNING AND USING A MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS MUCH GREATER. FROM TROUBLE STARTING THE CAR TO ROLLING BACKWARD ON HILLS, MANUAL TRANSMISSION CAN BE VERY INTIMIDATING TO NEW DRIVERS, WHO ARE STILL FOCUSING ON LEARNING THE BASICS OF DRIVING. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, ON THE OTHER HAND, ALLOW THE DRIVER TO FULLY CONCENTRATE ON DRIVING AND DEALING WITH OTHER CARS ON THE ROAD.

SAFETY
• MANY DRIVERS FEEL THAT THE USE OF A STICK SHIFT HAS A PROFOUND IMPACT ON THE SAFE OPERATION OF A VEHICLE. CONSTANTLY HAVING TO DEVOTE ATTENTION, AS WELL AS AN EXTRA HAND, TO SHIFTING YOUR CAR, TAKES AWAY FROM WHERE YOUR ATTENTION NEEDS TO BE: ON THE ROAD. A COMMON LESSON IN DRIVER'S EDUCATION CLASSES IS TO KEEP BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL AT ALL TIMES, WHICH IS AN IMPOSSIBILITY WHEN DRIVING A MANUAL TRANSMISSION CAR.

CONSIDERATIONS
• WHETHER ONE SYSTEM IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER DEPENDS ON THE NEEDS OF THE DRIVER DESPITE THE COST ADVANTAGES OF MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS, THE VAST MAJORITY OF DRIVERS PREFER AUTOMATICS FOR THEIR EASE OF USE, PARTICULARLY IN CITY DRIVING WITH FREQUENT STOPS AND STARTS. DRIVERS WHO LIVE IN AREAS WITH A LOT OF HILLS OR WHO SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN TRAFFIC MAY FIND THE CONVENIENCE OF AN AUTOMATIC OUTWEIGHS ITS DRAWBACKS, WHILE DRIVERS WHO WANT TO SAVE MONEY OR HAVE MORE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MAY PREFER A MANUAL. MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS ALSO ARE MORE DIFFICULT TO LEARN TO USE.

HOPE YOU FIND THIS USEFUL.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by obojo(m): 4:26pm On Jul 10, 2010
There are some new cars that dont even come in manual,   But every new car has an automatic option
There is no manual option for cars like the new m class, s class, 7 series, x6, x5, gl , gwagon, lexus ls from 1989 till present never came in manual ,
also the lexus gs (toyota aristo) never had it, lexus es dropped it in 1997 e.t.c

In short most luxury cars produced in the last 10yrs dont have a manual option, 
it's clear that driving a manual car is NOT luxury

ONly when it comes down to speed, most sport cars have a manual option
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2010
obojo:

There are some new cars that dont even come in manual,   But every new car has an automatic option
There is no manual option for cars like the new m class, s class, 7 series, x6, x5, gl , gwagon, lexus ls from 1989 till present never came in manual ,
also the lexus gs (toyota aristo) never had it, lexus es dropped it in 1997 e.t.c

In short most luxury cars produced in the last 10yrs dont have a manual option, 
it's clear that driving a manual car is NOT luxury

ONly when it comes down to speed, most sport cars have a manual option

I think you'll find you've dropped a few clangers here. wink

BMW X5 comes in both auto and manual:

Model year(s) 1999–2006
Assembly Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
Platform BMW E53
Engine(s) 3.0 L 225 hp I6
4.4 L 286 HP (2000–2003) 315 HP (2004–2006) hp V8
4.6 L 347 hp V8
4.8 L 355 hp (264.7 kw) @ 6200 rpm V8
3.0 L 193/218 hp I6 Diesel
Transmission(s)
5-speed automatic
5-speed manual
6-speed automatic
6-speed manual

BMW 7 series comes in both auto and manual:

Engine(s) 4.4 L 282 hp (210 kW) V8
5.4 L 322 hp (240 kW) V12
5.4 L 326 hp (243 kW) V12
Transmission(s)
5-speed automatic
5-speed manual

There are also some newer luxury cars that have their flagship models in manual only. Most of the cars you've mentioned as auto only, are auto not for the sake of luxury, but for the market they're aimed at. Generally, older, retired / semi retired drivers. These people may be registered as disabled too, and of course they have the money to spend, so of course, manufacturer's are only too willing to obligh them.

Automatic doesn't equal luxury. It's just fitted to cars that appeal more to an older market.
Re: Lets Compare Automatic And Manual Cars by chelseabmw(m): 9:11pm On Jul 10, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!! / 2012 Model Toyota Corolla Le Toks Good Deal / !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.