Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,617 members, 7,941,367 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 04:20 AM

General Australian Visa Enquiries - Travel (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General Australian Visa Enquiries (775729 Views)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Dear Jenny, can you pls give me an insight on the question above? And again, I want to know what and what I must carry to Perth like foodstuff, personal items etc?... Cos I learnt cooking and eating homemade food reduces expenses... Thanks in advance

To be honest I could care less about seats. I only fly emirates, however during check in I insist on window seat if there is any available and if there isn't any valuable I go wherever. I'm not fussy
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 05, 2013
As per food stuffs you can carry about anything but you must declare them all in the customs card they will give to you's on the plane . If you are not sure of a question or what to tick just tick yes, it is better to tick yes and be safe than no and lose it all plus fine

1 Like

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Thanks UKBtech, I guess the viewing opportunity is what took me to the window side besides I hate being disturbed. Is the curvature in all windows?

It is nothing to worry about, the view was 'funtustic'
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 11:22am On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry:

To be honest I could care less about seats. I only fly emirates, however during check in I insist on window seat if there is any available and if there isn't any valuable I go wherever. I'm not fussy
Thanks Jenny for the insights... Window seat it is then. As for the foodstuff, I am only worried about our naija immi. I am glad emirates gave me up to 30K baggage allowance. I will be glad if you can provide me with the list of foodstuffs I must carry, I mean expensive or scarce ones. Thanks once more.

@UKBtech... Thanks a lot.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Thanks Jenny for the insights... Window seat it is then. As for the foodstuff, I am only worried about our naija immi. I am glad emirates gave me up to 30K baggage allowance. I will be glad if you can provide me with the list of foodstuffs I must carry, I mean expensive or scarce ones. Thanks once more.

@UKBtech... Thanks a lot.

Type on here the list of food you eat.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 12:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry:

Type on here the list of food you eat.
A bum nwafor igbo.... There is nothing I don't eat as far as its our native food.... I can try new things though
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: A bum nwafor igbo.... There is nothing I don't eat as far as its our native food.... I can try new things though

Type na wink
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nwokenna: 12:08pm On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Confirmed my booking today with emirates.... @Travelers in the house, pls tell me the best seat for this kind of long journey.... Is it advisable to sit by the window? I have already selected it but I don't know if it is ok cos I can still change. Just drop your own view... Thanks in advance.

Congrats! Meanwhile, did you check your arrival time with Emirates cos most of there arrival time especially for December flights are around 12am to 3am (very early hours) so I'll be opting for Etihad instead.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry:

Type na wink
Pls don't let me do this....!!!! I was only hoping to copy from you and show mum.... I know Egusi shaa
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2013
Nwokenna:

Congrats! Meanwhile, did you check your arrival time with Emirates cos most of there arrival time especially for December flights are around 12am to 3am (very early hours) so I'll be opting for Etihad instead.
I am an Arsenal fan so am gonna fly emirates.. My arrival time is 08:45...
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: I am an Arsenal fan so am gonna fly emirates.. My arrival time is 08:45...

@Lawland, You will miss your Arsenal here in AussieLand. I learnt the hard way here, Match times are usually 1-3am. I have only watched one live game of football since I arrived.

BTW, I am a true blues
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 1:02pm On Nov 05, 2013
UBKtech:

@Lawland, You will miss your Arsenal here in AussieLand. I learnt the hard way here, Match times are usually 1-3am. I have only watched one live game of football since I arrived.

BTW, I am a true blues
I will miss watching match then but its least of my worries....
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Pls don't let me do this....!!!! I was only hoping to copy from you and show mum.... I know Egusi shaa

I'm not asking you to write down how to cook any food, all I asked is for you to write down the kind of food you eat.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 2:38pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry:

I'm not asking you to write down how to cook any food, all I asked is for you to write down the kind of food you eat.
Ok then.... Egusi, Draw soup, Nsala, Yam porridge, bitter leaf soup, ofe akwu, and other common foods...
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by surveyor1: 2:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Ok then.... Egusi, Draw soup, Nsala, Yam porridge, bitter leaf soup, ofe akwu, and other common foods...
Lawland.you like food jooor.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 3:13pm On Nov 05, 2013
surveyor1:
Lawland.you like food jooor.
As if I like food pass you... I can't read nor work with empty stomach naaa.. So let me solve that one first or do you want me to waste my baggage allowance?
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 05, 2013
lawland: Ok then.... Egusi, Draw soup, Nsala, Yam porridge, bitter leaf soup, ofe akwu, and other common foods...

Types of draw soup..... List them
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 4:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry:

Types of draw soup..... List them
AAAaaaaHHHhhhh! Aunty Jenny... I have this feeling that you are up to mischief... I never knew draw soup has types *confused*
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 05, 2013
No mischief, more like an exercise. At least now you know what food stuffs to carry with you. That's my reason for asking you to list them.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry: No mischief, more like an exercise. At least now you know what food stuffs to carry with you. That's my reason for asking you to list them.
Exactly what I thought...... But I asked cos I want to know the foodstuffs or ingredients that's cheap and readily available in Perth so I can drop them and get more of the expensive and scarce ones.... Thanks anyway..
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 05, 2013
Forget cheap. No food stuff is cheap here so prepare yourself.

Egusi and co are here no doubt but very expensive.

Prioritise prioritise prioritise

1 Like

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
Also prepare to settle those yeye naija customs angry

Egusi
Ogbolo
Cray fish
Dry fish
Knorr
Dry ugwu
Curry( like the Nigerian type)
Poundo
Ijebu garri
Groundnut
Custard
Relaxers
Hair extensions and what not
Pepper (Cameroon ANd others)
Pepper soup spice
Indomie (onion chicken flavour)
Okro in powdered form
Thyme
Dry bitter leaf e.t.c

Those are the things I travel with

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry: Also prepare to settle those yeye naija customs angry

Egusi
Ogbolo
Cray fish
Dry fish
Knorr
Dry ugwu
Curry( like the Nigerian type)
Poundo
Ijebu garri
Groundnut
Custard
Relaxers
Hair extensions and what not
Pepper (Cameroon ANd others)
Pepper soup spice
Indomie (onion chicken flavour)
Okro in powdered form
Thyme
Dry bitter leaf e.t.c

Those are the things I travel with
I am surprise to see Custard and indomie in the list... Is there no noodles over there or are they more expensive? Ok.. Thanks for the list...
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 05, 2013
There are. But expensive
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2013
jennykadry: There are. But expensive
Now I understand your point.... I will just carry as much food that i eat as possible.... I wish I can carry yam and plantain too.. I love them both...
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 3:27am On Nov 06, 2013
I hate the new look of the immi. website.. I prefer the old one...
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 06, 2013
lawland: Now I understand your point.... I will just carry as much food that i eat as possible.... I wish I can carry yam and plantain too.. I love them both...

@ Lawland, the list from Jenny is very good. Yam and plantain maybe heavy ontop your 30kg baggage allowance. I carried the following: egusi, ogbono, crayfish, and assorted leaves:; ugu, nchianwu, uziza, bitter leaf, pepper soup spice. Also learn how to drive & barb yourself and buy a clipper if you can. You also need 9ja driver's licence so can convert to it to Aussie with little practice and tests.

As for 9ja immi at the airport, they asked me for 'Food or Quarantine Certificate' and started demanding for 'settlement' when I could not provide it, but my brother I stood my ground and did not spend 1kobo @ MMIA even though I had some dough in case. An experienced friend educated me wella, usually you need to package your stuff your in transparent plastic bags and label them with both the local and botanical names and expiry dates. Make sure all your leaves are dried.

It is usually better to go early so that you will have plenty time for immi & custom & ndlea nonsense at the airport, I arrived 10.30am for 2.30pm flight. They kept directing me from one room bribe soliciting point to the other, but because I had plenty time, I will go in there sit down with them and gist, imagine I spent close to 30mins with immigrations ontop my PR visa. But I just chilled, in the end they had to let my people go.

On this end, make sure u declare everything on your landing card or you will be fined if caught. As for yam, am sure you can get yam to buy in sydney.

I dey buy yam, beans, garri, golden morn wella through some Nigerian/Asian shops here in Melbourne. If in doubt ask other Nigerians when you arrive.

Bon voyage! grin

1 Like

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 06, 2013
^^^ Ditto. I settled the customs 1k in naira. Lawland, I bought a zip lock transparent bag, that was what I used to pack my orishirishi. Even the custom guys in Perth and Nigeria were happy with it. The Aussie guy that checked my bag in perth was like....."I wish everyone packed their stuff in bags like this, makes it easier for us to see what's inside"...but the first bag I showed him was the Naija custard bag....you know our custard dey white like cocaine grin
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 5:22am On Nov 06, 2013
jennykadry: ^^^ Ditto. ...but the first bag I showed him was the Naija custard bag....you know our custard dey white like cocaine grin

If e be like cocaine, then it is cocaine! shocked tongue
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 6:43am On Nov 06, 2013
@ UKBtech... Don't mind those custom and immi people, I promise to be a bad market to them.

@ Jenny... That was exactly my thought when you mentioned custard. Anyway, I planned sealing my foodstuffs in a transparent poly bag just like UKBtech described then place a label with name, botanical name and expiry date on it. Hope they won't ask for NAFDAC no. *laughing* those our naija immi and custom can be mean. Please tell me how you source your zip lock transparent bag in case my sealer fails me.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by surveyor1: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2013
lawland: I hate the new look of the immi. website.. I prefer the old one...
Is like the Canada.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by lawland: 9:06am On Nov 06, 2013
surveyor1:
Is like the Canada.
Aussie immi are copy cats, always copying from Canada and Uk.

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (401)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / North Cyprus / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.