Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,824 members, 7,872,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:32 PM

Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? (1693 Views)

When You Think That God Called You Into The Ministry But... (pic) / I Have Decided To Help The Christians Do Some Concret Research / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 11:59am On Sep 01, 2012
No, I am not trolling. Let us stop and think.

*Jesus talked about the good Samaritan, an unbeliever who helped a stranger.
-When atheists help less fortunate people, they do it because they want to and not for some reward. Good for goodness sake

*Jesus suffered persecution and yet he didnt kill his enemies
-atheists are one of the most hated and distrusted group of people, yet they do not do terrorism in the name of their God like christians (Brevik) and muslims

*Jesus never asked for tithes or offering, he only asked for what was needed for his ministry
-atheist dont ask for tithes or offering, even when they ask for donations, it is for a clear purpose and not fo profit/private jets/mansions

*Jesus was salvation. He brought a change into many people's lives
-Technology is a kind of salvation. Technology has changed our lives. I am talking to you with the help of technology. Most scientists and technology people (Bill gates, Zuckerberg) are atheists.

lol.......

2 Likes

Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2012
*Jesus stressed on obeying the law and giving unto ceaser
-Atheists have the least proportional representation in prison
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by ijawkid(m): 3:36pm On Sep 01, 2012
So u know Jesus did all such good deeds and taught morals yet soon ur brain will tell u he didn't exist @ all......it seems u really love Jesus....just confess and become his follower..:-)

But let me tell u 1 big truth...

If u abuse Jesus's Father(Yahweh) then u have nothing in common with Jesus.....

He'll smash u when d end comes if u fail to do his Father's will....:-)

1 Like

Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 4:21pm On Sep 01, 2012
ijawkid: So u know Jesus did all such good deeds and taught morals yet soon ur brain will tell u he didn't exist @ all......it seems u really love Jesus....just confess and become his follower..:-)

Answer d question
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by Delafruita(m): 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2012
ijawkid: So u know Jesus did all such good deeds and taught morals yet soon ur brain will tell u he didn't exist @ all......it seems u really love Jesus....just confess and become his follower..:-)

jesus christ didnt exist,but the idea of a man with those traits has been embedded into countless generations over the past millenia.

2 Likes

Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 6:14pm On Sep 01, 2012
MacDaddy01: No, I am not trolling. Let us stop and think.

*Jesus talked about the good Samaritan, an unbeliever who helped a stranger.
-When atheists help less fortunate people, they do it because they want to and not for some reward. Good for goodness sake

*Jesus suffered persecution and yet he didnt kill his enemies
-atheists are one of the most hated and distrusted group of people, yet they do not do terrorism in the name of their God like christians (Brevik) and muslims

*Jesus never asked for tithes or offering, he only asked for what was needed for his ministry
-atheist dont ask for tithes or offering, even when they ask for donations, it is for a clear purpose and not fo profit/private jets/mansions

*Jesus was salvation. He brought a change into many people's lives
-Technology is a kind of salvation. Technology has changed our lives. I am talking to you with the help of technology. Most scientists and technology people (Bill gates, Zuckerberg) are atheists.

lol.......
Interesting how you despise christanity but want to be seen as a christian. You even want christians to endorse your "christianity".
You're trying to show us how as an atheist, you are really a follower of Christ.........lol, you amuse me.

Anyway you are welcome. Jesus loves you all the same.....and I'll be the first to embrace you as my brother as soon as you recieve Christ.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Interesting how you despise christanity but want to be seen as a christian. You even want christians to endorse your "christianity".
You're trying to show us how as an atheist, you are really a follower of Christ.........lol, you amuse me.

Anyway you are welcome. Jesus loves you all the same.....and I'll be the first to embrace you as my brother as soon as you recieve Christ.

Go and embrace transformer. The point of this thread is to show that some christians are hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 9:13pm On Sep 01, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Go and embrace transformer. The point of this thread is to show that some christians are hypocrites
.....and your manner of approach was to show that atheists are hypocrites and are really closet christians....Lol!
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 9:25pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
.....and your manner of approach was to show that atheists are hypocrites and are really closet christians....Lol!

Yes because good = christians

Epic fail
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 10:14pm On Sep 01, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Yes because good = christians

Epic fail
Lol, but it is your Op already proposes that [following Christ = Goodness]
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 10:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, but your Op already assumes that [following Christ = Goodness]

Nope
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 10:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Nope
Lol, so are you saying that imitating Christ is evil then?
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 10:22pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, so are you saying that imitating Christ is evil then?

Neither......only asserting that in some instances atheists are more "christlike" than christians
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 10:24pm On Sep 01, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Neither......only asserting that in some instances atheists are more "christlike" than christians
Lol, you mean in some cases atheists are better christians.....I hear you
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 11:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, you mean in some cases atheists are better christians.....I hear you

Yes.

However, in some cases, Christ was a racist. cool
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 4:46am On Sep 02, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Yes.
Lol, typical logicboy. Throwing up the old "Jesus racist"/"Jesus sexist"/"Jesus slavetrader" etc. This tells me that you've run out of things to say once you start trying to derail your own thread.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 02, 2012
Lol. I avoided this thread in a sense because I saw the end from the beginning.
I think mAcdaddy's op did not do justice to the topic..
His main intentions of opening this thread might be quite similar to what Deepsight alludes to here

^^^ And what does it take to worship God, if not simply be a good person?

Are the outward forms and rituals, such as Prayer, Praise, Ceremonies etc really required by a Living God?

This is why I brought up the parable of the good Samaritan, which I thought should be sufficient to show you from your own bible that the worship of God has absolutely nothing to do with outward ceremonies, rituals or dogmatic or doctrinal acknowledgements.

Now to elucidate the point it is critical that we carefully note the context of that parable -

The Gospel of Luke provides the context for the parable as:

One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: “Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?”

So it should be noted that the parable was given within a context of salvation – namely that which would be required for one to be accepted with God.

Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?”

The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’” “Right!” Jesus told him. “Do this and you will live!”

So it is also clear that the ensuing parable sets forth that which it takes to “love God” and “love one’s neighbour.”

This is all the more emphasized since as you well know Jesus often stated that those who care for their neighbours were actually showing such love to him and to God. “I was hungry, and you fed me . . . whenever you did this for one of those, you did the same for me. . . “

The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbour?”

Jesus then replied with a story:

“A Jewish man was travelling on a trip from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Levite walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side.

Now it is instructive that Jesus selects a Priest and a Levite to demonstrate his point – because the Priest and the Levite as you well know symbolize those who expressly acknowledge God, accept all the attendant doctrines about God and morality, and actively execute the outward rituals of “worshipping” God. The Levites as you know were a dedicated tribe of holy priests within the nation of Israel.

However Jesus has just shown what I am trying to say – namely that all the outward forms of acknowledgement of God which these people subscribed to did not in any way mean that they were really worshipping God – because of their action of ignoring the man who was hurt.

Now note carefully the next verses –

“Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him.”

Stop press! Note the words “despised Samaritan?” Why did Jesus not use any other lay Jew or even a non-specified person to elucidate his point? He rather chose to select what? – a DESPISED SAMARITAN!

Notwithstanding that, this is what Jesus conveys –

“Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’

Jesus concludes –

“Now which of these three would you say was a neighbour to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked. The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.” Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.

In this parable it is critical to note the imagery of the selected individuals –

1. “A Priest and a Levite” – are clearly indicative of people who have formally acknowledged God and are also at the fore-front of all the outward rituals and ceremonies.

2. “A Samaritan” – is considered on the wrong side of doctrine and dogma and is also “generally despised” in religious terms.

However it is easy to see that the man who is supposedly on the wrong side of doctrine – who no indication of God is made about is painted in glowing terms by Jesus because of his kind and merciful deeds.

Now In answering the question – “who is your neighbor” – the parable of the Good Samaritan goes the extra step of showing that neighborliness arises not from tribal or religious affiliations but from loving acts of concern for one another.

What this shows is that the “groups” of churches, mosques, or other theists, are useless in determining the question of neighborliness. An Atheist or Buddhist could as well be a better neighbor than your Deacon in Church or your Imam in Mosque.

And given the parable of the Good Samaritan, in such an event, we can clearly see WHOM has done the will of God. . . .

So my dear friend, while you edify nobody by talking endlessly about definitions (define this, define that), I assert to you today that which was the living essence of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ – namely that love trumps all things and is the very essence of Christianity.

Here is further relevant scripture from Christ himself in this regard -

Matthew 7:23 - Jesus made it clear that there would be many who believed in his name even to the extent of successfully working miracles and casting out demons in his name. Yet he states that of these people he would say "Depart from me, i never knew ye". . . What this connotes is that their acknowledgment of his name, acceptance of him as lord, and even investiture with miraculous powers from his name, were all empty and dead in his view if these people could not practice love.

This simply shows that the practice of love is what is far more important and relevant as opposed to merely acknowledging his name, however fervently believed or acknowledged.

Again, here is another scripture which i believe hammers home the point -

Matthew 25:35 - In this scripture Jesus specifically said that even people who did not know him but did loving deeds to other humans were actually doing those deeds to him! Thus this affirms my view that one loves God by loving one's fellow man, for how else will you explain this quote from that scripture -

". . .For i was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, i was thirstily, and you gave me something to drink, i was a stranger, and you invited me in, unclothed and you clothed me, i was sick and you visited me, i was in prison, and you came to me. Then the righteous will answer him and when did we do these things. . . And he responded " truly, to the extent that you did these for even the least of my brothers, you did it for me. . ."

..It is not by acknowledging him and praising him, etc, but by living acts of love to one another that you actually worship and love God.

Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by numo86(m): 7:36am On Sep 02, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Yes.

So ur more loving and unbiased than Jesus was....right??

Na to use cane flog u remain......
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 7:57am On Sep 02, 2012
numo86:

So ur more loving and unbiased than Jesus was....right??

Na to use cane flog u remain......

Na so una hate me?
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by tobechi74: 7:59am On Sep 03, 2012
The atheist arent lyk Jesus. I admit that they have certain tins in comon with him.

We christians arent lyk christ either. We claim christ in words but we hardly act lyk him. Are heart are far from him but our lips sing his praise.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 10:59am On Sep 03, 2012
tobechi74: The atheist arent lyk Jesus. I admit that they have certain tins in comon with him.

We christians arent lyk christ either. We claim christ in words but we hardly act lyk him. Are heart are far from him but our lips sing his praise.

True talk, bro
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by plaetton: 3:15pm On Sep 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Abt 80% of the so-called christians today, including you, are completely clueless about what it means to be christ-ened. You conflate being christ-ened with being a churchtian.

The Op never mentioned that he wanted to be seen as a christian. He merely highlighted the deeds attributed to Jesus.
If the points he highlighted appear to you as [b]his own version [/b]of christianity, then that says a lot about whatever version of christianity that you subscribe to.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MacDaddy01: 3:22pm On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton:

Abt 80% of the so-called christians today, including you, are completely clueless about what it means to be christ-ened. You conflate being christ-ened with being a churchtian.

The Op never mentioned that he wanted to be seen as a christian. He merely highlighted the deeds attributed to Jesus.
If the points he highlighted appear to you as [b]his own version [/b]of christianity, then that says a lot about whatever version of christianity that you subscribe to.

You should have made this thread instead of me. You nicely explained the intention of this thread. Cheers
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 3:36pm On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton:

Lol, Christianity simply means "imitating Christ's character" The moment you start doing that then you are are acting like Christian. It is amusing when someone wants to act like something but not be described by what he/she acts like.

It's a bit like a woman who loves dressing and acting like a w[i]h[/i]ore but takes offense when people refer to her as one simply because she doesn't like the name.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by plaetton: 3:49pm On Sep 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, Christianity simply means "imitating Christ's character" The moment you start doing that then you are are acting like Christian. It is amusing when someone wants to act like something but not be described by what he/she acts like.

It's a bit like a woman who loves dressing and acting like a w[i]h[/i]ore but takes offense when people refer to her as one simply because she doesn't like the name.

Very narrow view.
So before jesus, no one ever loved their neighbor? before jesus, no one did unto others what they would want them do unto themselves?
So before Jesus, no one showed kindness and compassion to others?
And your ancestors who did not know jesus, did they never show comapssion to others? if they did, can you call them christians?

Have you heard of the Buddha and Buddhism? Me thinks Buddha and Buddism preceded jesus by many centuries. Infact, many speculate that Jesus probably travelled to India during the missing years, where he come into contact with and embraced Buddist philosophy.
The sermon on the mount is essentially Buddhist in scope.

Can you call Jesus a buddhist because he reiterated the essential teachings of Buddha?
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by plaetton: 4:04pm On Sep 03, 2012
^^^^^
And by the way, kindness, compassion, selflessness, charity etc., These virtues are emphasized in all religions, including our African traditional religions.
Not so?
Are all imitating Jesus?

2 Likes

Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 4:04pm On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton:

Very narrow view.
So before jesus, no one ever loved their neighbor? before jesus, no one did unto others what they would want them do unto themselves?
So before Jesus, no one showed kindness and compassion to others?
And your ancestors who did not know jesus, did they never show comapssion to others? if they did, can you call them christians?

Have you heard of the Buddha and Buddhism? Me thinks Buddha and Buddism preceded jesus by many centuries. Infact, many speculate that Jesus probably travelled to India during the missing years, where he come into contact with and embraced Buddist philosophy.
The sermon on the mount is essentially Buddhist in scope.

Can you call Jesus a buddhist because he reiterated the essential teachings of Buddha?
But Jesus never claimed to be like buddha in any way, neither did he preach to buddhists telling them how he followed the teachings of buddha too. Jesus said "I am the Way and there is no other way but Me". I think that's a very clear statement.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by plaetton: 4:15pm On Sep 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
But Jesus never claimed to be like buddha in any way, neither did he preach to buddhists telling them how he followed the teachings of buddha too. Jesus said "I am the Way and there is no other way but Me". I think that's a very clear statement.

He did not have to claim to be like Buddha.

C'mom man think. Think.

Jesus came back from abroad to find his people still worshiping Yahweh. Obviously he was appalled at the practices. He set about preaching about his new found philosophy of life to his people with a view to changing their religious practices so that they can live a free(from the bondage of yahweh and his priests) and balanced philosophical life.

It is not surprising if he said to them that he, his ways, his teachings, were the only ways they could liberate themselves from the eternal bondage of yahweh and his priests.
C'mom. Think.
Jesus did not preach to reform the world, he preached to reform his spiritually backward people in palestine.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 4:18pm On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton:

He did not have to claim to be like Buddha.

C'mom man think. Think.

Jesus came back from abroad to find his people still worshiping Yahweh. Obviously he was appalled at the practices. He set about preaching about his new found philosophy of life to his people with a view to changing their religious practices so that they can live a free(from the bondage of yahweh and his priests) and balanced philosophical life.

It is not surprising if he said to them that he, his ways, his teachings, were the only ways they could liberate themselves from the eternal bondage of yahweh and his priests.
C'mom. Think.
Jesus did preach to reform the world, he preached to reform his spiritually backward people in palestine.
Lol, when you said "think", I didn't know you meant "go on LSD trip".
Nice theory you have there by the way, wait till the drug wars off. Here grab a coffee.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by EvilBrain1(m): 4:19pm On Sep 03, 2012
Great, now the Christians are trying to claim the copyright on being a decent human being? As if Confucius didn't beat Jesus to it by 500 years.

You now want to claim that you invented altruism abi? You guys are behaving like Apple when they tried to patent rectangular phones, or Disney trying to copyright Snow White an the Seven Dwarves.

You want to steal what is in the public domain and turn it into your own private property, then revise history to justify the theft.

And you would begotten away with it if not for those pesky atheists.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by plaetton: 4:21pm On Sep 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, when you said "think", I didn't know you meant "go on LSD trip".
Nice theory you have there by the way, wait till the drug wars off. Here grab a coffee.

Ha ha ha. I dont drink coffee. I prefer fresh palm wine.
Thank you.
Re: Christians Do You Think That Atheists Are More Like Jesus? by MrAnony1(m): 4:24pm On Sep 03, 2012
plaetton:

Ha ha ha. I dont drink coffee. I prefer fresh palm wine.
Thank you.
lol, even worse. . .mixing lsd and palmwine? Mehn you are too much and half!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Keshi: TB Joshua's Anointing Water Saved Us From Mali's Juju / Every Lady Wants A God-fearing Man; What Then Happens To The Atheists? / When Was Jesus Born ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.