Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,388 members, 7,881,405 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:48 PM

Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States (23861 Views)

Just In: Herdsmen Demand 1 Million Naira For Oba Obademi’s Release / Jonathan Vs Buhari: How They Stand In 36 States, FCT - VANGUARD / Jonathan Vs Buhari: How They Stand In 36 States, FCT - PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by MostIncredibleDFirst: 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Your view of the problem at hand is quite simplistic. A lasting solution would probably need to contain the designation of certain federal land which would cut across several state, as "Herding Zone". This kind of zoning will go a long way in addressing the Fulani/Local conflicts which have increased nation-wide lately. It would keep you people away from encroaching on Fulani historical territories and check your sprawling.
you aint just a Fool, but you are simply stoop!d. Guyz lik u have no business posting any comment on any public forum. Wetin join or conscien southern nigga with hausa/fulani?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by taharqa: 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

*sigh* embarassed

Subject to the provisions of this Act, all land comprised in the territory of each State in the Federation are hereby vested in the Governor of that State and such land shall be held in trust and administered for the use and common benefit of all Nigerians in accordance with the provisions of this Act.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Land%20Use%20Act.htm
am tying 4rm my phone so i am reserving this space 4 my response to you in d evening when i get hold of my laptop. Just get ready

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Leobreezy(m): 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2012
I see the reason for their complaint as a façade. I smell something fishy here. These so called fulani peeps could be seeking an avenue to spread the menace of Boko Haram, whom i'm quite sure they are in affiliation with. FG had better not grant their request or else the whole nation would experience widespread carnage.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by AjanleKoko: 2:46pm On Sep 09, 2012
taharqa: am tying 4rm my phone so i am reserving this space 4 my response to you in d evening when i get hold of my laptop. Just get ready

Try to read the Land Use Act in detail before you do undecided
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Leobreezy(m): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks: Can you people stick with issues rather than personalities and anonymous screen names? I'd appreciate it immensely if you'd stop trying to pidgeon hole me into belonging to one tribe or the other. What objections do you have to what I've posted and why do you not see the benefit of the said designated "Herding Zone", "Fulani Reserves", "Nomadic Xing", or whatever you prefer to call the, soon to be created, federally reserved territory?
Its quite simple. They are not Nigerians. As such they have no right whatsoever to request for a land when they are not natural citizens of that Nation.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2012
Orikinla: Gambari and Fulani should learn livestock farming and grow grass within the confines of their own states and stop their stupid nomadic vagabond life trespassing farmlands in other states.

in other words you agree they should be forced into modernization.
as long as it isn't YOUR tribe, the traditions of others do not matter?

Got ya! wink
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Yujin(m): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2012
This issue does not call for debate. Free grazing lands should be given to the fulani herdsmen in the NW & NE ONLY(their region). If they want land outside their region they should be ready to PAY whether as lease, rent or purchase and MUST be documented. Anything short of these should not be taken lightly. Any senator or rep from your region that favours this bill of free grazing all over the empire should pay with his blood for sanctioning the mortgaging of his peoples' future.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by kodewrita(m): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2012
All countries end up confronting this problem at some point. Cowboys roamed freely in the US until the invention of barbed wire meant that landowners could cordon off agricultural land and keep cattle herds from grazing on crops. Essentially cattle owners were forced to move to a more settled way of raising cattle and that still hasnt lead to meat shortage in the US.

No offence to the nomadic fulani but I personally believe there's no place for them in the Nigeria we are hoping for. If any space is to be made for them, then the government needs to do that somewhere in the north where they have a clear majority not in the south where thousands of farmers are sharpening machetes in readiness of the arrival of their herds.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2012
donedy: I think their right of having a land for their cattle to graze upon should be granted. We should stop being myopic and should try focusing on the real issue. All of us here are talking about they should accept modernity by sending their kids to school or stop rearing. Let me ask, most Nigerians are now complaining on the price increase for a loaf of bread in Lagos. If the Fulani herdsmen should accept modernity, how much do you think a pound of meat will cost at the market: There will be high increase in Kwashiokor due to inability for a common man to afford meat.

It's high time we started thinking like educated people, like we claimed to be , instead of having ethnic sentiments overshadow our rational thoughts.

finally someone with (NOT SO)commonsense. kiss
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2012
taharqa: am tying 4rm my phone so i am reserving this space 4 my response to you in d evening when i get hold of my laptop. Just get ready

grin grin grin grin

i thought i was the only one who does the "wait until i get to my laptop" threats! grin grin
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ACM10: 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

finally someone with (NOT SO)commonsense. kiss

You can never understand the dynamics of Nigeria's political landscape. This is a ploy aimed at land-grab. We've seen them pull off this stunt elsewhere.
Mind you that you lacks the indepth analytical power on events and politics of Nigeria to comment on a thread like this.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ABAKA72(m): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks: Uncivilized people, who have been brainwashed to believing that they are superior to fellow Nigerians, simply because the said fellow citizens are nomads, are exposing themselves again. You people on the one hand cry all over NL that you are being marginalized and cheated e.t.c, and on the other hand you want to deny your fellow citizens equal rights under the law. SMH @ ignoramuses

Mr man shut up, do you people mean the farmers who's crops are destroyed don't have the right to exit.you people should discard your primitive way of life and embrace modern methods of animal husbandry.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by redsun(m): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2012
It is time these fulanis evolved and adapt,or they will go extinct.The lands are not there for their kind of normadic pasturing.

It is time they join the mordern world of diminishing resources,innovate and diversify.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2012
How can I plant cassava or maize on my farm; on a land that I bought with my own money and then u will bring ur stupid herds of cattle to graze on my hardwork and investment and then claim the land is for everybody because u're a fulani and a nomad. You must be MAD!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by AjanleKoko: 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2012
kodewrita: All countries end up confronting this problem at some point. Cowboys roamed freely in the US until the invention of barbed wire meant that landowners could cordon off agricultural land and keep cattle herds from grazing on crops. Essentially cattle owners were forced to move to a more settled way of raising cattle and that still hasnt lead to meat shortage in the US.

No offence to the nomadic fulani but I personally believe there's no place for them in the Nigeria we are hoping for. If any space is to be made for them, then the government needs to do that somewhere in the north where they have a clear majority not in the south where thousands of farmers are sharpening machetes in readiness of the arrival of their herds.

Also a sensible submission. Nobody says they should have unrestricted free access anyway. Just that their request cannot be entirely brushed away. However, the majority of the disputes have even been in the North (Kaduna and Jos).
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by kinguwem: 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2012
All over the world, practices are changing. Nigerians are resistant to current practices. Mechanized animal husbandry and development of cattle ranges is the solution to the problem.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ABAKA72(m): 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks: Can you people stick with issues rather than personalities and anonymous screen names? I'd appreciate it immensely if you'd stop trying to pidgeon hole me into belonging to one tribe or the other. What objections do you have to what I've posted and why do you not see the benefit of the said designated "Herding Zone", "Fulani Reserves", "Nomadic Xing", or whatever you prefer to call the, soon to be created, federally reserved territory?
the can create nomadic zones in the north, i don't have problems with that. we don't have land for roving nomads in the east.

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by redsun(m): 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2012
kinguwem: All over the world, practices are changing. Nigerians are resistant to current practices. Mechanized animal husbandry and develpoment of cattle ranges is the solution to the problem.

They are always trying to turn the clock backwards in naija.In the age of systetic agriculture,those muderfuckers still want to be roaming and ravaging the scarce resources.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ABAKA72(m): 3:32pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Don't be surprised that I agree with your post in as much as we are talking about the settled Fulani. The Fulani were probably all nomads in times past, but some clans later settled in towns and villages (settled Fulani), while others continued nomadism (nomadic Fulani). The two groups are otherwise similar in all respects. However, while the settled Fulani see cattle-rearing as a hobby and businesses, the "nomadic Fulani" considers it a way of life.

The distiction is very important. You people calling for the destruction of the way of life of people who have been living in Nigeria since at least the 1500s are quite insensitive. We can find solutions to the problem but we must be sensitive to the way of live of the millions of herdsmen in question. I'm afraid until a reasonable and comprehensive solution is found, you people better learn how to fend off daggers and vicious sticks.
Yea i agree, at least we know how to fend off daggers and sticks in the east, so you can tell the middle belters that.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by realpeople: 3:32pm On Sep 09, 2012
Nonsense
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
ACM10:

You can never understand the dynamics of Nigeria's political landscape. This is a ploy aimed at land-grab. We've seen them pull off this stunt elsewhere.
Mind you that you lacks the indepth analytical power on events and politics of Nigeria to comment on a thread like this.

Lol and you lack the ability to proofread prior to posting "rants". grin

WTF is your point other than to say because I am not Nigerian I should mind my business? grin

GTFOH.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Also a sensible submission. Nobody says they should have unrestricted free access anyway. Just that their request cannot be entirely brushed away. However, the majority of the disputes have even been in the North (Kaduna and Jos).

I agree. There should be compromise of some sort to prevent bad blood and unnecessary resentment or conflict.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by bowakoko: 3:43pm On Sep 09, 2012
This is bull shit! Anyone that thinks they deserve a "Herding Zone", "Fulani Reserves", or whatever should make case by donating first his father’s farmland and house to the fulanis. Such individual should also speak to them in the north about creating “Churching Zone” “Boko Haram Free Zone” & “Farming Zone” for the southerners in the north………..nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ABAKA72(m): 3:44pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks: One thing is certain, the normads are not going to buy no land from anyone. Its best to accept this reality and come of with creative ways to solve the problem. Since no one has a way of reengineering the way of life of these nomads anytime soon, I've suggested the creation of federal reserve zones where these nomads can live with minimal negative impact on the rest of us. May I suggest that the rest of you suggest other possible solutions and lets see what we end up with.

@naijaking1, I don't think you can blame the Fulanis for decertification which is caused by population growth and its demand on agricultural resources which promote the desertification process. You cannot blame them for over cultivation either, for obvious reasons.

You cannot simply wish 15million nomads away, you've got to find proper solutions to the problems you are creating for them and those you believe they are causing for you.
No body will give their land to fulanis period, if they want to buy land like other people do, fine, but to give them land to settle in our area, God forbid, we know their antisident, we have learnt our lesson from Jos people. so don't waste your time because it will never happen.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by redsun(m): 3:49pm On Sep 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

I agree. There should be compromise of some sort to prevent bad blood and unnecessary resentment or conflict.

What happened to their ancestral land?If they dont have,them the government should allocates reserves for them in thier states of origin,for a settled agricultural life or whatever they dim fit.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ABAKA72(m): 3:51pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks:

How do you define native land and natives for that matter? Just so you know, tha land area along the paths which herdsman take to travel from North to South, East to West, have been considered their own land for centuries. If the herdsmen had had a different lifestyle, they would have possibly been natives of areas in every region in Nigeria according to conventional definition of natives. In their minds, you people are the ones encroaching on their generational properties. We cannot dismiss this reality, but consider it in proffering a lasting solution. These people are Nigerians as well.

Bashr8 & FSU, with due respect, Egbe ndi Israeli piafuka gi isi. mumus
That you are now resorting to insults abi, that shows those guys have superior argument and that you have nothing else to offer. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 09, 2012
Land rights in 36 states

I hope we've all thought deeply of what may happen in future after these so called "nomadic" people would have settled in these allocated lands? And what of an immediate effect/spread of Bokoharam?

Have we all forgotten the born to rule mentality of northern elites and how far it has pushed the country to the edge of precipice?
If the FG should consent to this unreasonable and selfish demand then it means southerners have been taken for fools cos it will automatically create a totally but stylish and gradual subjugation of other regions of the country.

Imagine decades from now and with federal constitutional rights we have communities/towns of. Hausa-fulanis all over the south with emirs due to a certain land rights authorised by law. And should there be any fracas their present violences and killings will be a childs play.

So in as much as they have a right to rear and graze their cattles others too have rights to their properties and farms. The FG should encourage them to embrace education and modern way of living, doing business and also discuss with owners of communal/ancestral lands to LEASE such at minimal amounts for cattle grazing.
If these cattle rearers genuinely needs pastures then they should be willing to pay for it cos its business.

Moreover I doubt saleh momale sincerity and claims cos to me its a script from the "powers" that have continued to hold this country by the jugular for decades and have continually planned to overrun other regions, steal the resources and also dip their "koran"? in the sea.

THEIR PLAN WILL NEVER WORK!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ACM10: 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Lol and you lack the ability to proofread prior to posting "rants". grin

WTF is your point other than to say because I am not Nigerian I should mind my business? grin

GTFOH.

Remember that English is a foreign language to me. My primary language is Igbo. So I will be bothered/ashamed if my written Igbo is poor. My primary aim here is to communicate. So I'm glad that you got the message. Moreover, we are not in English class. Feel free to correct me. Fluency in English is not related to intelligence or brilliance.

What we are debating here is an issue that can have a wide reaching consequences in the future. Any decision taken today by us determines if we or our children lives in peace and harmony in the land of our birth. You can take you English lesson to education section. Just like I remarked before, this is a ploy aimed at land-grab. We have seen the Fulanis play this game in Jos. So we can't be f00l in this information age. We discarded some aspect of our culture to adapt our lives to the modern age. Why can't they?

So you lack an indepth analytical power to comment on this serious issue. Cool off for a while at Romance section. Better still, grab some copies of history of Fulani cattle nomads in Nigeria before you'll qualify to comment here. You can play the role of a casual observer if you can't stay off this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by cjfavour(m): 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2012
If their request is granted,what's happening in jos will happen to any other state dt agreed to this request.Jos is a good example dt this request is for land grabbing. If their request is granted,what about other ethnic groups?will they be giving land in d north for farming or for trading? The solution to this problem is for them to embrace animal husbandry/ranching.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by redsun(m): 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2012
They should adapt like the Massais and make the best of their primitive life style,by developing settlements that could attract tourism,create resources and still maintain their primitive ways of life.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by ABAKA72(m): 4:06pm On Sep 09, 2012
ndu_chucks: @Katsumoto, lets assume that everything you wrote is accurate. Does that remove the problem at hand? Of course not. How do you propose that the problem is resolved, short of wiping out the nomadic Fulanis or killing them off? I am genuinely interested in practical solutions - our current government officials don't seem to have any workable solution or plan.

Are you a re tarded illiterate? I've told you people that the settled Fulani should pay for land like everyone else. I am however not as ready as you are, to detroy the way of life of the nomadic Fulani who number in the millions and are just as Nigerian as you are. How do you propose that we address this problem of nomadic herdsmen? Would you want to kill them off as well?
No, you are the one who is just having phobia, nobody wants the fulanis dead, what we are saying is that they should not trespass into other peoples properties and destroy their crops in order to survive, they should workout strategies on how to survive without endangering others, they have to solve this problem themselves.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Demand Land Rights In 36 States by skyflash(m): 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2012
Dem no know book but then sabi carry gun who is fooling who?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

CCT Trial: FG Lines Up Eight Witnesses Against Saraki / Zahra Buhari Changes Name On Social Media, Celebrates 1 Month In Marriage (pics) / Ebubeagu Security Members Shutdown New Building Materials In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.