Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,844 members, 7,945,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 02:04 AM

Is This How You Observe The Shabbath? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is This How You Observe The Shabbath? (3514 Views)

Should Believers Observe The Law? / Must Christians Observe The Law Of Moses? / Why Dont We Observe The Sabbath Day! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Is This How You Observe The Shabbath? by plappville(f): 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2012
Goshen360: My dearest sister plappville,

I want to believe much had been said by others on this thread. A Christian is NOT bounded by the Sabbath. Besides, I believe (from scriptures) that the Sabbath is a type and shadow of believers rest in Christ in which same Sabbath was fulfilled in Christ because He said, He is the Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:cool. The Sabbath that was foreshadowed was fulfilled in Christ.

A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God

1Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. 3Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger,

‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. 4For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “And on the seventh day God rested from all his work.” 5And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.” 6It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. 7Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before:

“Today, if you hear his voice,

do not harden your hearts.”

8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience. Hebrews 4, New International Version

You might find those verse very useful.

Thank you my brother, I truelly appreciate. What i don't understand is that, when you adressed the tithe issue in the other thread, i saw that you presented some NT verses that didn't even made mention of tithing. Instead, Offering as a free will. But in the subject of Sabbath, we saw that Christ and His apostles kept observing and did made references of the Sabbath as in future events. For Example See Jesus talking about a future event and did used the Sabbath:

"Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath" (Matthew 24:20)?

If Sabbath observance was not a concern for christians when Matthew recorded his Gospel, why did he mention Jesus’ words about "excaping/fleeing" on the Sabbath?
I think this is a command from Jesus for Believers to keep the Sabbath rest. This is my concern, when the NT keeps repeating the OT on a particular law, am afriad, it wouldn't sound like it was done away with.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

God Did Not Create Good And Evil / Nigerian Church In Tampa, Florida / Would Judas Had Been Forgiven If He Asked Forgiveness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.