Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,844 members, 7,915,427 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 12:01 AM

Criticisms Trail National Awards As David-west, Utomi, Others Slam FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Criticisms Trail National Awards As David-west, Utomi, Others Slam FG (750 Views)

Ekwueme,clark Others Slam Buhari Over Biased Appointments,anti-graft Wat / National Awards: Adenuga Receives GCON, 148 Others On The List / The Usa Has Given 105 National Awards In 200 Years, Nigeria Has Given 3,924 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Criticisms Trail National Awards As David-west, Utomi, Others Slam FG by omicron(m): 8:21am On Sep 11, 2012
CRITICISMS, yesterday, greeted the list of 149 eminent Nigerians, who would be conferred with National Honours by President Goodluck Jonathan on September 17. While some dismissed the list as political, some said a host of the awardees do not deserve the awards.

Utomi said: “I already have my position on it and I don’t intend to change that. For me, a real honour is when you go to a village, find a headmaster who for 30 to 40 years worked so diligently, and you also look for 200 to 300 personalities, who had become Professors or Doctors who might not have been anything except for the diligence of that headmaster. That is a person you award a CFR not some egomaniac who has stolen from the country and never adds value to it.”Adebanjo spoke in like manner. He said: “It is not just now that this started, National honours have been discredited since three to five years ago. What they are supposed to give to credible Nigerians that have served this country diligently are now being given to party leaders.
For instance, when Chief Tony Anenih was given a National Award, that was the year Olusegun Obasanjosaid he gave Anenih as Minister of works N10 billion for the construction of Lagos- Ore, Benin Expressway and since then, they have been re-awarding that road contract.

e.”
Adenuga’s GCON is political — David-West
To David-West, the way the honours are awarded to non-deserving persons could not inspire the younger generation.
His words: “Any nation that gives over 100 people national award at the same time cannot be a serious nation. The whole thing looks like mass production. My observations are simple. The GCON that was given to Mike Adenuga is political. How canNigeria relegate eminent jurist like Justice Kayode Eso? He was given CFRalongside Justice Mary Odili”.
Does it in anyway make sense? I believe that at the time Eso was active in his days, Odili should be in Law school. But today, she is being given the same CFR with Eso, who performed excellently in the history of the judiciary. Odili only came to Abuja two years ago. It is on record that Eso was the only person, who interpreted the two-third majority controversy of the 1979 presidential election properly.
Awards have lost credibility – CPC, ACN
To the opposition Congress for Progressive Change, CPC and Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, the annual ritual of national awards had lost credibility because some undeserving persons are usually honoured.
Read More:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/criticisms-trail-national-awards-david-west-utomi-adebanjo-others-slam-fg/

Re: Criticisms Trail National Awards As David-west, Utomi, Others Slam FG by k2039: 9:26am On Sep 11, 2012
I think as nairalanders we need to forward a bill to the house of assembly,requiring the screening of all awardee by EFCC,ICPC and other anti corruption bodies before they are given their award.

GCON award as now become beans(initialy Dangote,I thought GEJ should have learnt from the criticism that surrounded last year's ward,but look's like our president just doesnt learn.)I know he will give us the excuse that they(dangote and adenuga) are the highest employer of labour in the country.
Highest employer my foot(they are highest employer of labour because the nigerian system made them to,it allows them to monopolize)

Nonsense,our leader's are bunch of confused foo*ls.
Re: Criticisms Trail National Awards As David-west, Utomi, Others Slam FG by omicron(m): 10:26am On Sep 11, 2012
k2039: I think as nairalanders we need to forward a bill to the house of assembly,requiring the screening of all awardee by EFCC,ICPC and other anti corruption bodies before they are given their awards
The fact is, these awards are not exclusive to politicians or some powerful figures in the Nigerian society. They are given to Nigerians and not Nigerians politicians. I dont need to screen that forgotten old soldier who lost his limbs in service to the nation....I dont need EFCC to confirm that village nurse in one of the most inaccessible community before recognising her, neither do i need to call for ICPC to screen the poor taxi man that returned money belonging to a foreign passenger before honoring him. The manner in which the award is given clearly shows we still have a long way to go regarding nation building. I wonder if there is any way the common citizens make inputs regardin these awards.
Re: Criticisms Trail National Awards As David-west, Utomi, Others Slam FG by k2039: 10:31am On Sep 11, 2012
omicron: The fact is, these awards are not exclusive to politicians or some powerful figures in the Nigerian society. They are given to Nigerians and not Nigerians politicians. I dont need to screen that forgotten old soldier who lost his limbs in service to the nation....I dont need EFCC to confirm that village nurse in one of the most inaccessible community before recognising her, neither do i need to call for ICPC to screen the poor taxi man that returned money belonging to a foreign passenger before honoring him. The manner in which the award is given clearly shows we still have a long way to go regarding nation building. I wonder if there is any way the common citizens make inputs regardin these awards.
I concur

GBAM

(1) (Reply)

The Grand Chessboard - America's Foreign Policy / INEC To Introduce Permanent Voters Card For Nigerians / Kwara State First Lady Gives Scholarship To 30 Indigent Pupils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.