Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,464 members, 7,881,633 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 04:22 AM

Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction (10068 Views)

Nigerian Gay Activists Protest, Ask Buhari To Repeal Nigeria's Antigay Law (Pics / Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos / Activists Protest Fashola's Presence At Baba Omojola's Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by kufreabasi(m): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2012
http://www.punchng.com/news/coffin-bearing-activists-protest-planned-introduction-of-n5000/#

The planned introduction of N5,000 note by the Central Bank of Nigeria received further knocks on Monday as rights activists carried coffin round Agege area of Lagos to protest the policy.

The activists from Concerned Human Rights Nigeria, Civil Societies for Good Governance, Joint Action Front, United Action for Democracy, Gani Fawehinmi Foundation, United Middle Belt Youth Congress, among others, said the coffin signified the rejection and death of the policy.

The protesters, led by the National Coordinator, CHRN, Mr. Declan Ihekaire, began their procession from Funmilayo Bus Stop, Ipaja Road, Lagos, and trekked many kilometres.

As they passed through major roads and streets, they sang solidarity songs and waved placards.

The placards bore inscriptions such as “Nigerians do not need N5,000 note”, “Jonathan! Nigerians say no to N5,000 note; it is evil”, “Nigerians are wiser than Jonathan and his team”, “Sanusi – Mr. Central Bank; we thought you were wise”, among others.

The protest triggered more excitement when motorists, okada riders and pedestrians, carried away by the songs rendered by the protesters, followed suit.

Addressing journalists during the peaceful protest, Ihekaire said the planned introduction smacked of insensitivity on the part of the Federal Government.

He said, “The Federal Government wounded the masses through its ‘wicked’ fuel price hike, now is an attempt to bastardise our currency with no recourse to the masses.

“Who told them that currency printing is the masses’ desire? I submit that this administration is lazy, wicked, callous and insensitive to the yearnings of the masses.”

He said the N5,000 note was in conflict with the cashless policy of the administration.

According to Ihekaire, the aim of the cash-less policy is to ensure that cash level comes down and ensure cash holding by people is reduced.

He wondered that if the cash-less policy was in good faith, then the introduction of N5,000 denomination was inconsistent and unthinkable.

He said the purpose of the planned introduction was not for the masses but to enable large volumes of cash to be moved with ease by the privileged few.

Ihekaire said its introduction would encourage money laundering, corruption, ritual killing and armed robbery.

He urged the National Assembly to intervene to put a halt to the “obnoxious currency regime.”

The President, UMBYC, Mr. Abuka Onalo-Omababa, said the introduction of N5,000 was not the panacea for the problems in the land.

Onalo-Omababa said, “The printing of N5,000 cannot help us in any of the issues affecting the country such as insecurity, hunger, poverty, illiteracy and epileptic power supply.

“I think the whole exercise is an attempt to divert Nigerians’ attention from bad governance and other issues in the country.”

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by killuminati(m): 8:48am On Sep 11, 2012
YES! Clueless jonathan and his followers!! Where dem dey!!!?
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by k2039: 9:05am On Sep 11, 2012
FG,Dangote,Mikke Adenuga etc pls provide more employment.

See wetin Joblessness cause

1 Like

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by shegzy4luv(m): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
We all need to be lashed in this so-called NIGER AREA..sorry,pretend u neva read my post,am still dreaming
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 11, 2012
If this 5,000 note is brought to existance, I will champion the protest and revolution to any extent. How can some stupid people be playing with our intelligency. Although I know that sanusi is working for some bloody people outside the shores of Nigeria who are bent on crippling nigeria to always do their bidding but if our so call leaders fall for this then they should be ready to also pay the price
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by harryem(m): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2012
abeg, dis 5k note, na gd policy
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by 9jvirgin(m): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2012
Doom Looms
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by tkbic007(m): 2:32pm On Sep 11, 2012
It will only help and encourage embezzlement, kidnapping, insecurity, indiscipline, corruption in the very highest order. It will also help robbery attacks on high ways etc. This country is bleeped. It will be a waste of time for masses hoping and praying for the betterment of this country.
kufreabasi: http://www.punchng.com/news/coffin-bearing-activists-protest-planned-introduction-of-n5000/#

The planned introduction of N5,000 note by the Central Bank of Nigeria received further knocks on Monday as rights activists carried coffin round Agege area of Lagos to protest the policy.

The activists from Concerned Human Rights Nigeria, Civil Societies for Good Governance, Joint Action Front, United Action for Democracy, Gani Fawehinmi Foundation, United Middle Belt Youth Congress, among others, said the coffin signified the rejection and death of the policy.

The protesters, led by the National Coordinator, CHRN, Mr. Declan Ihekaire, began their procession from Funmilayo Bus Stop, Ipaja Road, Lagos, and trekked many kilometres.

As they passed through major roads and streets, they sang solidarity songs and waved placards.

The placards bore inscriptions such as “Nigerians do not need N5,000 note”, “Jonathan! Nigerians say no to N5,000 note; it is evil”, “Nigerians are wiser than Jonathan and his team”, “Sanusi – Mr. Central Bank; we thought you were wise”, among others.

The protest triggered more excitement when motorists, okada riders and pedestrians, carried away by the songs rendered by the protesters, followed suit.

Addressing journalists during the peaceful protest, Ihekaire said the planned introduction smacked of insensitivity on the part of the Federal Government.

He said, “The Federal Government wounded the masses through its ‘wicked’ fuel price hike, now is an attempt to bastardise our currency with no recourse to the masses.

“Who told them that currency printing is the masses’ desire? I submit that this administration is lazy, wicked, callous and insensitive to the yearnings of the masses.”

He said the N5,000 note was in conflict with the cashless policy of the administration.

According to Ihekaire, the aim of the cash-less policy is to ensure that cash level comes down and ensure cash holding by people is reduced.

He wondered that if the cash-less policy was in good faith, then the introduction of N5,000 denomination was inconsistent and unthinkable.

He said the purpose of the planned introduction was not for the masses but to enable large volumes of cash to be moved with ease by the privileged few.

Ihekaire said its introduction would encourage money laundering, corruption, ritual killing and armed robbery.

He urged the National Assembly to intervene to put a halt to the “obnoxious currency regime.”

The President, UMBYC, Mr. Abuka Onalo-Omababa, said the introduction of N5,000 was not the panacea for the problems in the land.

Onalo-Omababa said, “The printing of N5,000 cannot help us in any of the issues affecting the country such as insecurity, hunger, poverty, illiteracy and epileptic power supply.

“I think the whole exercise is an attempt to divert Nigerians’ attention from bad governance and other issues in the country.”

1 Like

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by temujin1234: 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
This is a dreadful policy.
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Landcruiser: 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
How is it a gud policy? when they want to introduce cashless policy
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Afam4eva(m): 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
I don't think coffin bearers have ever openly protested against anything in Nigeria before. That's to show you the level this country has gotten to.

1 Like

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by alaoeri: 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
Those this change anything in the place where they are practising dictatorship form of government. My fear is just that they shouldn't change #5, #10 and #20 τ̲̅ȍ coins.

2 Likes

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by amobii: 2:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
I dont know ehat is really wrong with some people, any topic they start type Garri, at least hv some respect for people that are fighting for just course. If you think very well you will know that it will affect the price of Garri if introduced, just common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by andyanders: 2:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
Jonathan, the most unwise president Nigeria EVER had. Clueless and hand driven
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2012
undecided
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by offshoreking: 2:50pm On Sep 11, 2012
After protesting what will be will still be, that is our government, they never listen to the people, and also the same time happen to the masses they never calculate well. Everything that come out from government is bad? at list u people should do the mathematics before going on street. For me i really don't know if it is good or not, i be seatdon dey look.

1 Like

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by henrychubayo: 2:50pm On Sep 11, 2012
Good job
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by mrrock: 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2012
It's obvious there's a criminal motive behind the N5,000 note policy. Because majority of Nigerians already know this policy can only bring damage to the economy. So, how come the CBN claim it's for the good of the people when the masses is clearly against the policy?.
Question is; Why is Sanusi desparate to print N5,000 notes against all odds??.
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by ballabriggs: 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2012
A foolish protest. If you get shot while protesting on this, I will rejoice. You know why? Because this is not what affects the price of garri or the naira. There are other things that affect the value of the naira and not a currency reform.
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Opoki(m): 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2012
This post don hide

1 Like

Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 11, 2012
berem: na wa o! Bad Bellerism na big disease. Wetin be your own na? Is he the only one with a website? Why are you attacking him? Go create your own and stop beefing him.stop derailing the topic abeg!

I think I love that word... Please send it to the Nigerian Dictionary grin
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by Opoki(m): 2:55pm On Sep 11, 2012
jude33084:

∂ sane person is asking ƗƗŏw τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ Printing of N5000 will affect τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ price of garri? undecided

leave d dude, by the time a congo is been sold @ 5k, he'll understand how it take affect am
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by naptu2: 2:56pm On Sep 11, 2012
Question is, why Agege? Why not CBN's office @ Tinubu Square or somewhere else where they'll have more impact.

There's no difference between this topsyking character and the garri people. He should be banned for spamming the forum and derailing threads.
Re: Coffin-bearing Activists Protest N5,000 Note Introduction by greatgod2012(f): 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2012
inasmuch as i dnt support d printing f this #5000 note, i also think carrying coffin around to show our dissaproval is uncalled for, its barbaric! Haba, nigerians, aren't we ashamed, hw many country have we seen carrying coffin to show their dissaproval for certain national decision taker by dir govt?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VP, Osinbajo Interacts With Council On Foreign Relations In New York, USA (photo / Zanna Mohammed Ibrahim Appointed Acting IGP / Gunmen Kidnap Construction Workers In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.