Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,130 members, 7,943,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 02:26 AM

Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port (14973 Views)

Soldiers Attack GOC, Victor Eziegwu Over Food, Water Shortage In Maiduguri / We Arrested Many Boko Haram Members In Lagos –former GOC / 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by tonte(m): 11:06am On Sep 14, 2012
Ok be honest, if any truck driver hits ur new car, won't ur 1st reaction be 2 slap him? Wat do u expect the soldiers who went to retrieve the car from the port to tell their boss, or they should show him his bashed new car without any explanations or culprits? Would the truck driver agree 2 follow the soldiers if they just asked him 2 without any use of minimal force? If u as a civilian will act violently, how won't a military man who has the power, personell and mercenary 2 react calmly, so the soldiers should have said, "mr truck driver, go and sin no more, while we tell our oga that u hit his car" nonsense

1 Like

Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by gulfer: 11:09am On Sep 14, 2012
callash: U GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT THESE TRUCK DRIVERS ARE CAPABLE OF DOING..I WORK AT THE PORT AND I WORK WITH THE THESE DRIVERS.MOST OF THEM ARE RECKLESS AND VERY STUBBORN,THEY ACT DELIBERATELY THINKING THERES NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO
So must the GOC descend to the same level or lower in other to correct a reckless driver? He has only succeeded in proving that power drunkenness pervades every level of our society from the bus conductor to the truck driver up to a GOC..SMh.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by klax(m): 11:34am On Sep 14, 2012
Guys I agress its bad what the army has done to this man I dont in anyway support any form of brutality its a complete coward act but please did anyone ask what has the driver done? And moreso when a uniform man like Nigeria Army say stop and you refused to listen to him then what happen next Pls we all know what Nigeria Army are please if you know the rule dont break it to avoid trouble, a millitary man will not strike if not provoke this is the truth.

I witnessed a scene in Lagos a few weeks ago that a driver drove in a wrong lane in an opposite direction facing oncoming trafic a police man who saw him told him to stop he never yielded, many motorist told him to go back he was there arguing with them and refused to go back and he kept driving on till he met a car of a Millitary men coming he stoped him the driver stoped but so surprisingly when the driver came down from his car everyone was shocked to see this silly driver threw a slap on the face of this army man it was a like a bomb anyway I dont want to say what happen there after it was an untold beaten.

So sometime our people are too sturbborn and can argue to death. No matter what you say to them they wont listen unless they got beaten up and wounded. I sincerely pity the driver for this assault and hope this brutality can stop but the truth is if you know the rule dont break the rule, we all know what Nigeria Army are so if anyone dont want to get injury stay away from them because court order or damage payment may be too late. No offense plssss.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by lexylexy(m): 11:49am On Sep 14, 2012
My people, i work in apapa so i encounter these truck drivers everyday on the road-they are NOT human beings. They crush pple and cause accidents every single day. Most of them drink and smoke all kinds of things even while driving. Believe me when i say dat guy deserves what he got. i bet u would do the same if you were in those soldiers shoes. Pls lets forget the issue abeg!
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by VolvoS60(m): 11:51am On Sep 14, 2012
Some of us are missing the point.

If truck drivers have become a law unto themselves, then the government has a responsibility to call them to order. And if the government fails to do this, then it should pay for this at the polls. Soldiers taking the law into their own hands will NEVER be a solution. Never.

It is a pity that Nigerians have de-linked the quality of the governments they elect from the quality of their own day to day living. We elect inept governments and feign surprise when the country sinks deeper and deeper into the mire. If after so many years of lawless behaviour the federal government and the LASG cannot break the back of errant tanker drivers (so that our roads can be sane again), then of what use are these tiers of government?

There are so many things wrong with us on so many levels. So many.

2 Likes

Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by naptu2: 12:04pm On Sep 14, 2012
VolvoS60: Some of us are missing the point.

If truck drivers have become a law unto themselves, then the government has a responsibility to call them to order. And if the government fails to do this, then it should pay for this at the polls. Soldiers taking the law into their own hands will NEVER be a solution. Never.

It is a pity that Nigerians have de-linked the quality of the governments they elect from the quality of their own day to day living. We elect inept governments and feign surprise when the country sinks deeper and deeper into the mire. If after so many years of lawless behaviour the federal government and the LASG cannot break the back of errant tanker drivers (so that our roads can be sane again), then of what use are these tiers of government?

There are so many things wrong with us on so many levels. So many.

+100
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by stagger: 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2012
Truck drivers on their own are animals to the core. But of course, soldiers too also go to the extreme. Never get into an altercation with a soldier; many have not lived to tell the story.

Also, if a truck driver bashes my brand new car that I spent my hard-earned US dollars on, that guy no go go free. Truck drivers are just beasts. You need to see what they do on the road.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by nonysmith(m): 12:27pm On Sep 14, 2012
@vislabraye.....so u mean if nigeria soildiers were given d same weapon used by there american counterpart they would hav captured and killed bin laden wit jst a casualty as american did.....odiegwuuuu....I hear u shocked
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by Leboska(m): 12:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
ORAFA: I can see u dont have any contribution. I really didnt write my post so I could win accolades, I did to share my view. So howeva u see it, good or bad, its ur kettle of fish. NEVER u say u gave d military d power to operate. U were never in d exam hall assisting, u were not d drill instructor, u didnt create the army, u didnt donate any material to the army, lastly, d army is not ur private organisation. And, if u think our mode of OPS doesnt suit u, make a change(if u ever can). The ends justifies the means.....and for d fella who wants to knw my age, am 21. I hope dat makes u fat.
I carefuly read ur write who pays the army may be u do. If they can not protect the civilians they should simply resign. U think we can not revolt against them? Guy @ ur age ?... A disgrace!
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by VolvoS60(m): 12:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
ORAFA: I can see u dont have any contribution. I really didnt write my post so I could win accolades, I did to share my view. So howeva u see it, good or bad, its ur kettle of fish. NEVER u say u gave d military d power to operate. U were never in d exam hall assisting, u were not d drill instructor, u didnt create the army, u didnt donate any material to the army, lastly, d army is not ur private organisation. And, if u think our mode of OPS doesnt suit u, make a change(if u ever can). The ends justifies the means..... I feel so ashamed seeing people say the army isnt protecting them. For heaven's sake thats STARCK ILLITERACY! Hw long can Nigeria remain whole if military protection is withdrawn? If the army was as bad as some of u claim, I think there wuldnt be a single civilian on d streets, not to talk of those who sell in the barracks. There wuldnt be democracy either. Lets try to judge issues based on facts and not assumption. @OP, hw did u knw the boys called GOC? And for d fella who wants to knw my age, am a proud 21yr old who has more brains than u. FYI, am a final student too so dnt call me a tout..... I hope dat makes u fat.

^^^While not holding brief for the fellow your post was directed at, my first reaction was to spit fire at you until I saw what you stated as your age.

You are young. That's a 'problem' that time can cure...

2 Likes

Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by Eefhay: 1:20pm On Sep 14, 2012
d problem we hv in ds country is accurate information ... all ds truck drivers are responsible for more than 50% of accidents in ds country and u knw how many lives and family ds has affected.. if u hv witnessd there ruthless driving u will knw they careless for small cars.. Nigerian Army seriouly hate disrespect and is wrong to make comment if u dnt knw d true part of d story......
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by Tokotaya: 1:35pm On Sep 14, 2012
Truck drivers are a menace on Lagos roads. They have been banned from moving btw 6am and 8pm for good reason, but will they hear? They drive with so much recklessness, damaging other people's car in the process and they are never apologetic. They even swear at you. If they hit you and there is no go slow, they wont stop. They are just useless.
Having vented my spleen, let me say that the soldiers are wrong to have detained the man. The army barracks is not a police post. That is illegal. They should release him fortwith. It makes one's heart bleed that this sort of things still happen in Nigeria in this day and age, and we have a leader who is not perturbed. He doesnt give a damn. Shame.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by klax(m): 2:40pm On Sep 14, 2012
Please let all who rant on this issue just relax. The act was bad but it was learnt that thetruck driver overstepped his boundary. I said over and over the army should not have done that its bad to be cruel and brutal but one thing I know as a son of a high ranking officer of the Nigeria army is that a millitary man will not strike you if you do not provoke him that is what i'm sure of so let wait till the truth of the matter is unviell then we can say anything.

And if anyone has visited Apapa wharf "oh heaven" all these truck driver are second to animal. Very reckless, silly, sturbborn, argument master in wrong doing, no tolerant, smoke wee, indiscipline, and so on its a place second to hell in the hand of truck drivers.

No need for any brutal assault its bad and absolutely bad but for anyone not to get injury and wound please stay away from millitary men that is the rule because court order or damage payment may be too late,
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by emmabowin(m): 1:27am On Sep 15, 2012
30,000L tanker available for sale.
working condition
@ affordable prize.
please email bowingreat@yahoo.com for details and pictures
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by excondido(m): 7:04pm On Sep 15, 2012
vislabraye:

Our soldiers can be anything but coward. They're the best fighting msachines in Africa.
American soldiers are not necessarily better than ours, they're more equipped.
I don't support the violence though.

where on earth has the nigerian soldiers test their might against a foreign army other than on peacekeeping missions. i hope is not the army that can not read a simple planimetric map talk more of using a gps. u will be shocked to know some of our army cannot recouple an AK47.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by lastpage: 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2012
ORAFA:
"Some id.iots here will rant cluelessly and senselessly too. Do u knw wat d driver said b4 they clamped down on him? Sum of u just hear a one-sided story and draw up conclusions. How many of u can say d rubbish u've said abt d army even 20yrds away from an unarmed soldier backing u? NONE! And u precipitate here to run ur mouths. If u think US soldiers can protect u beta, id.iot, pack ur stuff and go to NY or u can try Afghanistan.... Bloody goats. Auwa! He should sit on d gravel for 5hrs. Dat way others will learn. IF U FEEL OFFENDED, BRUSH UR MOUTH WITH ACID AND FEEL BETA.....Long Live NIGERIAN ARMY.

I can see u dont have any contribution. I really didnt write my post so I could win accolades, I did to share my view. So howeva u see it, good or bad, its ur kettle of fish. NEVER u say u gave d military d power to operate. U were never in d exam hall assisting, u were not d drill instructor, u didnt create the army, u didnt donate any material to the army, lastly, d army is not ur private organisation. And, if u think our mode of OPS doesnt suit u, make a change[b](if u ever can)[/b]. The ends justifies the means..... I feel so ashamed seeing people say the army isnt protecting them. For heaven's sake thats STARCK ILLITERACY! Hw long can Nigeria remain whole if military protection is withdrawn? If the army was as bad as some of u claim, I think there wuldnt be a single civilian on d streets, not to talk of those who sell in the barracks. There wuldnt be democracy either. Lets try to judge issues based on facts and not assumption. @OP, hw did u knw the boys called GOC? And for d fella who wants to knw my age, am a proud 21yr old who has more brains than u. FYI, am a final student too so dnt call me a tout..... I hope dat makes u fat."

See, you are one of the reasons others think this country has no future, because the "YOUTHS" are supposed to be the future of a country and at 21years of age, your mentality is worse than that of an OSHODI THUG!
You claim you are a "final year student" (though you refuse to state your institution...could it be the Nigerian Defense Academy, NDA?), what did you learn in the last 3yrs+ of schooling? NOTHING!

Its either you are thick in the head or your "instructors" are complete "brain-dead" like yourself.
Just imagine the "tragedy" it would visit on this nation, if your types have the misadventure of seizing power?

For "re-education's sake" (which l think you and your likes who joined the army, thinking it was a 'ticket to absolute power', as was in the old days,need):,
*The basic duty of any army is to PROTECT THE CITIZENS AND THE TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY OF THE NATION.

*The citizens in-turn, FUND THE MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT. (as against the usurping of power and brazen looting that went on in the "dark days" of military rule,, which has since gone out of fashion!

If you doubt me, go and ask anyone above Brigadier level since those were my own classmates.

So, no "civilian funding", NO ARMY!
Simple.

But because we have a very corrupt and archaic system in place (which affects every facet of our national life), people like you probably joined the army thinking you will be "Babangida" one day and you will have the opportunity to not only loot the treasury but commit atrocities unchecked!

Sorry, l've got bad news for you!
1.) Ex President Mubarak --- CHECK
2.) Ex Military dictator Ghadafi ----CHECK
3.) General Idi Amin ----CHECK
4.) Charles Taylor -------- CHECK
5.) And many more too numerous to mention. All "Military Dictators" who dont subject themselves to civilian authority are doomed.....just like you![/b] grin tongue

So, drop those air of superiority and[b] learn a trade instead!

You are a misfit in the army (if thats where you are)
Your ignorance is so disgusting, for a 21yr old "man"!

Seriously, you are a waste of tax-payers fund and a waste of military man-power!
You cant even spell correctly!

Probably the only thing you learnt in your 3yrs+ in the Army is how you can traumatize civilians? Why then do we have the "Judicial arm" of Government?

Let me bring you in on a little secret!

Brutality IS NOT a show of power........but rather COWARDICE!
Especially if the victim is not armed and you are armed!
Most civilians will take you up and beat you to pulp, if you are deprived of that GUN!
Yes, an u"n-armed civilian" fears an "armed and crazy military Eediot"
just makes sense, right? (and even an "un-armed" military man will run and duck, on facing an armed robber)

I have met some "fine gentle men" in the military (very few as most of you Khaki boys are rude, psychotic, mentally unstable, suicidal, arrogant, uncouth, dubious, UN-intelligent like yourself, prone to stealing and not trust worthy!) but they are rare.

I need you to pick a book on Political History and the impact of the Nigerian Military in destroying democracy in Nigeria.

If per-chance, they're still teaching you about "How to rule, How to plan Coup or how to become President/Governor at the NDA, rather than how to subject yourself to democratic civilian authority, which is the ultimate, then l suggest you tell your boss that they are STUCK IN THE PAST and wasting your time!

The World has changed and if you Khaki boys learned anything in the last 2years and the "Arab Spring", it should be that "No matter how many GUNS you carry, ULTIMATE POWER BELONGS TO THE CITIZENS!
Its just a question of "when they decide to exercise that power".

Its not a choice, its a MUST, to subject the military to civilian authority.
Silly Twa.at!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by megadeath: 10:09pm On Sep 15, 2012
excondido:

where on earth has the nigerian soldiers test their might against a foreign army other than on peacekeeping missions. i hope is not the army that can not read a simple planimetric map talk more of using a gps. u will be shocked to know some of our army cannot recouple an AK47.
your an idiet
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by megadeath: 10:19pm On Sep 15, 2012
It pains me when people just come on this forum to insult my profession. Granted we have our bad eggs,but i can truthfully say that a lot is in the works to improve civil-military relations. About the truck driver, i cannot speak because i dont know the full gist of wat transpired. My beef is with all those calling soldiers beasts,touts,unrefined....and other colourful names. Let me assure you that if you ever hit a soldier's vehicle and YOU are at fault, and you immediately apologise, the worst that can happen is his demanding you pay for the damages. Kindly reduce the way you abuse the profession please. We might not be your dream Army, but God knows we are doing our best.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by lastpage: 8:01am On Sep 16, 2012
megadeath: It pains me when people just come on this forum to insult my profession. Granted we have our bad eggs,but i can truthfully say that a lot is in the works to improve civil-military relations. About the truck driver, i cannot speak because i dont know the full gist of wat transpired. My beef is with all those calling soldiers beasts,touts,unrefined....and other colourful names. Let me assure you that if you ever hit a soldier's vehicle and YOU are at fault, and you immediately apologise, the worst that can happen is his demanding you pay for the damages. Kindly reduce the way you abuse the profession please. We might not be your dream Army, but God knows we are doing our best.
Good talk, Military man.
I like it when people are proud of their profession...with a reason.

I have one question for you, in relation to something in your post:

1. If YOU as a "military man" hits a "civilians" vehicle and you are at fault, DO YOU APOLOGIZE AND PAY FOR REPAIRS immediately?

2.) If YOU DONT APOLOGIZE (despite being obviously at fault), do you think it is right, acceptable and you will agree that the "Civilian" beat you to PULP?

Before you answer, pause for a moment.......and think about "that incident".

Cheers.

Lastpage.

BTW: if a civilian behaves like a beast, (its only animals that fight to the death, things that can be discussed at a table), he/she would be called a beast, based on "displayed behavior"! ...Ditto anyone, including a uniformed man! or do you think special rules should be created for such men, because they are uniformed?
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by excondido(m): 10:09am On Sep 16, 2012
megadeath: your an idiet
where do i place this slowpoke?
fvcking narcissits called army. do u think wearing a military camouflag is what makes u an army.....any idiiiooot can be a soldier but true army are chivalrous. get it.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by megadeath: 10:58am On Sep 16, 2012
excondido:
where do i place this slowpoke?
fvcking narcissits called army. do u think wearing a military camouflag is what makes u an army.....any idiiiooot can be a soldier but true army are chivalrous. get it.
What is your profession, my man?
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by megadeath: 11:16am On Sep 16, 2012
lastpage:
Good talk, Military man.
I like it when people are proud of their profession...with a reason.

I have one question for you, in relation to something in your post:

1. If YOU as a "military man" hits a "civilians" vehicle and you are at fault, DO YOU APOLOGIZE AND PAY FOR REPAIRS immediately?

2.) If YOU DONT APOLOGIZE (despite being obviously at fault), do you think it is right, acceptable and you will agree that the "Civilian" beat you to PULP?

Before you answer, pause for a moment.......and think about "that incident".

Cheers.

Lastpage.

BTW: if a civilian behaves like a beast, (its only animals that fight to the death, things that can be discussed at a table), he/she would be called a beast, based on "displayed behavior"! ...Ditto anyone, including a uniformed man! or do you think special rules should be created for such men, because they are uniformed?
My good friend, wouldnt I look like an idiet if i was involved in an auto crash that was obviously my fault and I come out of it refusing to apologise or pay for damages? The truth is that most Nigerians ......like this ignoramus excondido are stereotyped when it comes to matters concerning the Army. Just last week, my colleague hit a civilian's vehicle. He immediately apologised and offered to pay for the damages. That is exactly what the greater number of us will do. I say again that we are aware of the bad eggs in our midst. Having a totally civilian friendly Army isn't going to be a day's job. Secondly, i do believe that in generalising about the entire NA, a degree of respect should be cultivated. The average soldier loves his country and goes to extreme lengths to prove it. Visit Maiduguri and see what I mean.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by excondido(m): 2:07pm On Sep 16, 2012
megadeath: What is your profession, my man?
this is not about me or u........u are getting personal here. Am talking about decades of torture, rape and molestation by an institution that is so suppose to protect our borders.

where it is due we (naija) have praised the heroics of the selfless actions of the military, say there resolve in the face of boko haram insurgency. but it doesnt stop rebuking their irresponsibility towards civilians.

2 Likes

Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by megadeath: 2:42pm On Sep 16, 2012
excondido:
this is not about me or u........u are getting personal here. Am talking about decades of torture, rape and molestation by an institution that is so suppose to protect our borders.

where it is due we (naija) have praised the heroics of the selfless actions of the military, say there resolve in the face of boko haram insurgency. but it doesnt stop rebuking their irresponsibility towards civilians.
Let me remind you that you generalised when you said the Army is made up of Narcissists, personnel who cannot strip and assemble the AK 47 rifle, and do not knw how to carry out basic mapreading....where did u get these facts from? That,my friend, is where I took it personnal.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by lastpage: 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2012
megadeath: My good friend, wouldnt I look like an idiet if i was involved in an auto crash that was obviously my fault and I come out of it refusing to apologise or pay for damages? The truth is that most Nigerians ......like this ignoramus excondido are stereotyped when it comes to matters concerning the Army. Just last week, my colleague hit a civilian's vehicle. He immediately apologised and offered to pay for the damages. That is exactly what the greater number of us will do. I say again that we are aware of the bad eggs in our midst. Having a totally civilian friendly Army isn't going to be a day's job. Secondly, i do believe that in generalising about the entire NA, a degree of respect should be cultivated. The average soldier loves his country and goes to extreme lengths to prove it. Visit Maiduguri and see what I mean.
Okay, l get what you are saying.

I dont know you but l have to "accept as truth", what you wrote up there.
You must be a "Gentleman" in real life. That is praise-worthy and l commend you highly for that!

I bet you, if half...just half of the military men "civilians come into contact with", on a daily basis, have your type of mentality, they would be the darling of the nation (and that is how it should be, every man in Uniform, putting his life on the line for THE PEOPLE should be cherished)

But to be honest with you, l have seen and continue to see Uniformed men who think and and look down on every civilian like they are filth
! angry
Imagine that derogatory term: Bloody Civilians? Pray me, what is "bloody" about not being in "uniform"?

While doing my H.S.C back then, close to ten of my very good friends and classmates crossed over to the National Defense Academy.
Today, they are at upper rung of the Military (Col/Brigadier level) but it does not change anything or make them "superior to me" (who did not join the army).
We are all professional and accomplished in our different fields but they dare not refer to me as "bloody"!

I see Uniformed men, especially those on 'rank and file' level, molesting and harassing civilians, even when s uch Uniformed men are in the wrong!
On a particular day, a uniformed man driving a vehicle, drove against traffic (one way) and ran into a civilian's car. The Civilian lady was angry that he drove "one-way", at such speed and asked him if he thought "it makes sense to drive at such speed against traffic"?
Next thing is that the Uniformed guy, so full of himself, came down and "inspected his own car damage and asked her to move-off so he can continue his journey"!

The lady refused to budge, demanding that he "takes responsibility for damaging her car", produce his identity so she can contact him (if he wishes to leave right -away before the Traffic wardens arrive).
he refused to produce any I.D and when the lady decided to use her phone to take pictures of "the scene" him inclusive, he flew into a rage and smashed her phone! He then proceeded to force her keys out of her hand, drive her car off the road and sped off!

I was behind her and took the whole incident on my phone's Camera, including the vehicle details.

To cut a long story short, l calmed the lady and took up the matter with former classmates in the military.
He was traced, severely "room-orderly disciplined", made to pay for "all the damage" and apologized to the Lady (He would have been discharged actually if not that we chose to take it easy).
It is such incidences, happening in public view and frequently, that give Uniformed men a bad name and public opprobium.
People would love to cherish Uniformed personnel but then, we need to face reality.

I agree that it will take time to change that "mentality of civilians are at our mercy" because we are "armed"; something which was very pronounced especially under military rule
I think a complete "re-orientation", in form of civic and psychology courses, within the military curricula, is required.
As for the Police, that institution needs to be completely over-hauled, from the caliber of recruits, method of recruiting and training, especially in terms of "background checks and psychiatric evaluation" since they mingle more with the un-armed civilians.

Please keep the flag flying and dont give up in assisting in educating your men, on the need to see civilians as equally human, like themselves.

Respect would naturally begets respect,
"coercion and intimidation" on the other hand, breeds "fear" which dynamically evaporates, once the source of "intimidating power" (being armed) is removed!

Cheers,

Lastpage!
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by VolvoS60(m): 10:10pm On Sep 16, 2012
megadeath: My good friend, wouldnt I look like an idiet if i was involved in an auto crash that was obviously my fault and I come out of it refusing to apologise or pay for damages? The truth is that most Nigerians ......like this ignoramus excondido are stereotyped when it comes to matters concerning the Army. Just last week, my colleague hit a civilian's vehicle. He immediately apologised and offered to pay for the damages. That is exactly what the greater number of us will do. I say again that we are aware of the bad eggs in our midst. Having a totally civilian friendly Army isn't going to be a day's job. Secondly, i do believe that in generalising about the entire NA, a degree of respect should be cultivated. The average soldier loves his country and goes to extreme lengths to prove it. Visit Maiduguri and see what I mean.

^^^^About 3 years ago, a soldier in army uniform drove recklessly on Adetokunbo Ademola Street in V/I's early morning traffic, causing slight damage to my vehicle. He sped off. I followed and caught up with him on Ahmadu Bello Way, forcing him to stop and step out of his van. I came out of my vehicle and challenged him. He dared me to do my worst, got into his van and sped off once again. The chase continued up to Bonny Camp. Unfortunately,I lost him in traffic. I drove into Bonny camp and lodged a complaint but I knew it was over. The soldiers on duty inside Bonny Camp made some sympathetic noises but the matter died there and then.

The above was MY personal experience. Not anybody else's. I have also been a witness to several other examples of military madness - military personnel refusing to pay transport fares because they are "staff" (whatever that means), military personnel violently harassing motorists for slowing down in heavy traffic (on a public road!) in front of military establishments (so-called military zones angry), military personnel engaged in extortion on the highways,angryetc. The list is endless. angry

I don't know you sir, but your quote about "cultivating a degree of respect in generalising about the NA" says it all. Respect, sir ? I have not yet had any interraction (of any kind!) with any Nigerian military personnel in which they (to the last man) do not display a sense of entitlement which beggars belief. This can be traced in part to the warped indoctrination which takes place in Nigeria's barracks, military secondary schools, the NDA, etc. Upon close scrutiny, one begins to wonder what justifies the arrogance. South Korean generals seized power in the first half? of the last century and put their country on the path to industrialization. The rules were clear: any South Korean steel plant which didn't measure up to expectation was destroyed with military ordinance. We can all see what South Korea has become today. Nigerian generals on the other hand, are better known for their bacchanalian excesses with alcohol, pepper soup and women of easy virtue. Is it any surprise that Ajaokuta has become a museum piece today?

I'll say this anywhere, anytime. I have gained nothing from the Nigerian military. Nothing whatsoever.
Re: Army GOC Batters Truck Driver At Tincan Port by megadeath: 8:35am On Sep 17, 2012
VolvoS60:

^^^^About 3 years ago, a soldier in army uniform drove recklessly on Adetokunbo Ademola Street in V/I's early morning traffic, causing slight damage to my vehicle. He sped off. I followed and caught up with him on Ahmadu Bello Way, forcing him to stop and step out of his van. I came out of my vehicle and challenged him. He dared me to do my worst, got into his van and sped off once again. The chase continued up to Bonny Camp. Unfortunately,I lost him in traffic. I drove into Bonny camp and lodged a complaint but I knew it was over. The soldiers on duty inside Bonny Camp made some sympathetic noises but the matter died there and then.

The above was MY personal experience. Not anybody else's. I have also been a witness to several other examples of military madness - military personnel refusing to pay transport fares because they are "staff" (whatever that means), military personnel violently harassing motorists for slowing down in heavy traffic (on a public road!) in front of military establishments (so-called military zones angry), military personnel engaged in extortion on the highways,angryetc. The list is endless. angry

I don't know you sir, but your quote about "cultivating a degree of respect in generalising about the NA" says it all. Respect, sir ? I have not yet had any interraction (of any kind!) with any Nigerian military personnel in which they (to the last man) do not display a sense of entitlement which beggars belief. This can be traced in part to the warped indoctrination which takes place in Nigeria's barracks, military secondary schools, the NDA, etc. Upon close scrutiny, one begins to wonder what justifies the arrogance. South Korean generals seized power in the first half? of the last century and put their country on the path to industrialization. The rules were clear: any South Korean steel plant which didn't measure up to expectation was destroyed with military ordinance. We can all see what South Korea has become today. Nigerian generals on the other hand, are better known for their bacchanalian excesses with alcohol, pepper soup and women of easy virtue. Is it any surprise that Ajaokuta has become a museum piece today?

I'll say this anywhere, anytime. I have gained nothing from the Nigerian military. Nothing whatsoever.
Ok Sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Using Fake Military Uniforms - Beware / UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood / EFCC Drops N6bn Fraud Charges Against Ex-works Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.