Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,870 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:12 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (863) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1873685 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) (866) ... (908) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 6:05pm On Nov 03, 2022
spiritualmubi:
Hello good day Docs. I really need your advice on this. I will be starting 300 level next year January in my Botany program, but I have this passion to sit for jamb again and go for medicine. I was recently advised to complete this current degree of mine but due to me not loving this course and also the notion that when you want something so bad you should go for it at the moment,what do you guys think?
PS: I will be 27 next year, I have spent 5 years already due to a reoccurring illness of mine which made me to defer a semester, and also due to the strike and covid
2. I have financial issues at the moment, as I don't have a source of income.
Guys to be frank I really need advice on what should be my next line of action. Cause I always tell my self to focus on my current program but always finding my self wanting to go for medicine again.

Hello bro,
I might not be in the best position to advise you as I am also an aspirant and I need advice too. But nevertheless I will give you my honest advice.

1. Do not quit your current program until you have your Medicine admission letter in your hands.
2. Take UTME next year. Pray to God for a Good score. If you get the admission, then it is up to you to either defer the admission and complete your current program or, Abandon your current program and begin Medicine.

Or,

3. Finish your current program, strive to get a good grade(first class or 2.1), There are schools that accept Botany for D.E into medicine.

4. As for finance, I believe it is God that provides. He will surely come through for you

In all, never forget the God factor, pray to Him for guidance and I believe He will direct you on the right path to follow.

See you at the top.
God bless you.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 6:41pm On Nov 03, 2022
Dvd4:

*My candid advice*

Don't quit what you are already doing. Afterall you are almost through.

However, you could still sit for Jamb now, if luckily you gain admission, then you could defer the admission till you are ready.

I don't think you should consider quitting anything.

The God who have seen you through all these years won't allow you fall.
Thank you sir, I appreciate your advice, I think I might sit for Jamb next year, And Amen to your prayers sir.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2022
Clinton39:

Hello bro,
I might not be in the best position to advise you as I am also an aspirant and I need advice too. But nevertheless I will give you my honest advice.

1. Do not quit your current program until you have your Medicine admission letter in your hands.
2. Take UTME next year. Pray to God for a Good score. If you get the admission, then it is up to you to either defer the admission and complete your current program or, Abandon your current program and begin Medicine.

Or,

3. Finish your current program, strive to get a good grade(first class or 2.1), There are schools that accept Botany for D.E into medicine.

4. As for finance, I believe it is God that provides. He will surely come through for you

In all, never forget the God factor, pray to Him for guidance and I believe He will direct you on the right path to follow.

See you at the top.
God bless you.
Thanks Boss, I will choose one of the options and I pray for God's Guidance.
I appreciate.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 7:50pm On Nov 03, 2022
Dvd4:

*My candid advice*

Don't quit what you are already doing. Afterall you are almost through.

However, you could still sit for Jamb now, if luckily you gain admission, then you could defer the admission till you are ready.

I don't think you should consider quitting anything.

The God who have seen you through all these years won't allow you fall.
Boss, what do you suggest I do to get rid of brain fog, considering the fact that I might sit for Jamb and to be able to also graduate with good grades. I have difficulty concentrating while reading and also retention problem, It could be due to the prescribed medication I am on. My doctors suggest I should excercise what do you suggest Boss? And do you think I can cope with the Jamb and putme preps?
PS: I was diagnosed to have schizophrenia when I was 18.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2022
Clinton39:

Hello bro,

Or,

See you at the top.
God bless you.
Boss, what do you suggest I do to get rid of brain fog, considering the fact that I might sit for Jamb and to be able to also graduate with good grades. I have difficulty concentrating while reading and also retention problem, It could be due to the prescribed medication I am on. My doctors suggest I should excercise what do you suggest Boss? And do you think I can cope with the Jamb and putme preps?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Tyg3rFvry: 11:38pm On Nov 03, 2022
My bosses in the house please advise me

I am a UI mbbs aspirant but I live in middle belt far closer to UNN than UI

339.6 is my calculated UNN aggregate and I am an Abia state Indigene

However I'll need to do change of institution

Please advice me, is it worth attempting to get into UI? Or should I apply to UNN? What about the kidnappings and insecurity in the east please factor this in as you drop your suggestions.

Thank!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 12:33am On Nov 04, 2022
spiritualmubi:

Sorry to hear about your condition, brother

These are my takes

1. Retention issues are best handled by repetition. Read the material over and over again.

2. Take breaks in between study to consolidate knowledge, and try to get enough sleep.

3. Take your doctor's advice. Exercise actually does a lot for the body than we think.

4. In prepping for UTME and handling your school works, have a working time table, and make sure you follow it consistently. If you start now, you have more than ample time to go through the UTME syllabus.

God help you in everything you do.
Merci.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 5:18am On Nov 04, 2022
@DVD4 Good morning chief, my whatsapp contact is 08149961650
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ruggedfighter: 11:13am On Nov 04, 2022
Tyg3rFvry:
My bosses in the house please advise me

I am a UI mbbs aspirant but I live in middle belt far closer to UNN than UI

339.6 is my calculated UNN aggregate and I am an Abia state Indigene

However I'll need to do change of institution

Please advice me, is it worth attempting to get into UI? Or should I apply to UNN? What about the kidnappings and insecurity in the east please factor this in as you drop your suggestions.

Thank!
339.6 should guarantee you a spot in UNN medicine, all things being equal. My advice is that, change your institution there as you have no guarantee in UI whatsoever. As for insecurities, as far as I'm concerned, nowhere in this country is safe, so that shouldn't be an issue. Na God dey protect all of us. Do what you have to do, medicine is medicine everywhere, UNN is even a good school too.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 1:56pm On Nov 04, 2022
Ruggedfighter:
339.6 should guarantee you a spot in UNN medicine, all things being equal. My advice is that, change your institution there as you have no guarantee in UI whatsoever. As for insecurities, as far as I'm concerned, nowhere in this country is safe, so that shouldn't be an issue. Na God dey protect all of us. Do what you have to do, medicine is medicine everywhere, UNN is even a good school too.

What about UNN's infamy for over admitting students and then cutting them off drastically?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ruggedfighter: 2:46pm On Nov 04, 2022
Clinton39:

What about UNN's infamy for over admitting students and then cutting them off drastically?
They've stopped that, they no longer admit recklessly.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 7:32pm On Nov 04, 2022
Ruggedfighter:
They've stopped that, they no longer admit recklessly.
Okay. That's a welcome development
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 11:08pm On Nov 04, 2022
Clinton39:

Sorry to hear about your condition, brother

These are my takes

1. Retention issues are best handled by repetition. Read the material over and over again.

2. Take breaks in between study to consolidate knowledge, and try to get enough sleep.

3. Take your doctor's advice. Exercise actually does a lot for the body than we think.

4. In prepping for UTME and handling your school works, have a working time table, and make sure you follow it consistently. If you start now, you have more than ample time to go through the UTME syllabus.

God help you in everything you do.
Merci.
Amen boss, thanks.
Like which schools accept Botany for D.E into medicine?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 10:13am On Nov 05, 2022
spiritualmubi:
Amen boss, thanks.
Like which schools accept Botany for D.E into medicine?
NDU accepts

a) ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Biology and Physics with a minimum of 10 points at not more than two (2) sittings.

b) a B.Sc. with a minimum of second class upper division in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics and Botany.

UNIBEN accepts

a) at least three (3) ‘A’ level passes not more than C or a minimum of 12 points in Biology or Zoology, Physics and Chemistry at not more than one (1) sitting.

b) at least a Second Class Upper Division from a recognised University in either B.Sc Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Medical Sciences. (UNIBEN does not state the disciplines, but I think biological sciences should include botany).

Source: JAMB Brochure
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 10:30am On Nov 05, 2022
Clinton39:

NDU accepts

a) ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Biology and Physics with a minimum of 10 points at not more than two (2) sittings.

b) a B.Sc. with a minimum of second class upper division in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics and Botany.

UNIBEN accepts

a) at least three (3) ‘A’ level passes not more than C or a minimum of 12 points in Biology or Zoology, Physics and Chemistry at not more than one (1) sitting.

b) at least a Second Class Upper Division from a recognised University in either B.Sc Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Medical Sciences. (UNIBEN does not state the disciplines, but I think biological sciences should include botany).

Source: JAMB Brochure
thanks bro, which uni is NDU? and are these the only universities that accept?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 1:43pm On Nov 05, 2022
spiritualmubi:
thanks bro, which uni is NDU? and are these the only universities that accept?
NDU is Nigeria Delta University, located in Bayelsa. I think these are the only ones. You can check the JAMB Brochure for further details.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 7:12am On Nov 06, 2022
spiritualmubi:
I think the Doctors might be correct as regards the exercise as a TEDx video I watched was where a researcher explained that exercising, jogging in particular results in the production of new brain neurones.

2 hamsters were used. One was placed in a cage with a wheel and the other, a cage without a wheel. It was observed that the one with the wheel in it's cage had produced lots of new brain neurones as compared with the hamster without a wheel in it's cage.

As regards Botany and Medicine, finish your Botany then reappraise your situation as regards Medicine and how you'd be sorting yourself financial wise after school since the dynamics are now different as you cannot ask for money from home the way you used to while studying Botany. I hope you're on medications too.

Overall, I wish you the very best.

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by spiritualmubi: 10:42am On Nov 07, 2022
horpeyemmi66:

I think the Doctors might be correct as regards the exercise as a TEDx video I watched was where a researcher explained that exercising, jogging in particular results in the production of new brain neurones.

2 hamsters were used. One was placed in a cage with a wheel and the other, a cage without a wheel. It was observed that the one with the wheel in it's cage had produced lots of new brain neurones as compared with the hamster without a wheel in it's cage.

As regards Botany and Medicine, finish your Botany then reappraise your situation as regards Medicine and how you'd be sorting yourself financial wise after school since the dynamics are now different as you cannot ask for money from home the way you used to while studying Botany. I hope you're on medications too.

Overall, I wish you the very best.
Thanks Boss, I don't really understand your third paragraph, do you mean I should finish my Botany program before applying for medicine?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omabel71: 7:56pm On Nov 08, 2022
Greeting to the house. I will like to know if 289 utme score is good enough for medicine and surgery at unilorin.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by LordPauling: 12:40pm On Nov 09, 2022
Vitamin17:

Thanks
pls don't go to FUTA ur score is high enough for UI the only thing is that u should be patient cause that futa is a new school and hasn't gotten mdcn accreditation pls don't waste ur score dia cause even if u gain admission u will suffer two things (ASUU strike and accreditation problems ) honestly that accreditation issue alone can drive u crazy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 2:04pm On Nov 09, 2022
LordPauling:
pls don't go to FUTA ur score is high enough for UI the only thing is that u should be patient cause that futa is a new school and hasn't gotten mdcn accreditation pls don't waste ur score dia cause even if u gain admission u will suffer two things (ASUU strike and accreditation problems ) honestly that accreditation issue alone can drive u crazy

What makes you think he will suffer the two things you aforementioned if he chooses FUTA. FUTA is not the only University that ASUU strike affected. It affects UI also, so what point are you driving at? You can't jump into conclusion easily that FUTA will have accreditation problem. It is not even up to three years they started Medicine. Stop making FUTA look bad if you are trying to persuade him to choose UI. You are trying to bad-mouth a school just because you want to showcase another school.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 4:15pm On Nov 09, 2022
Eben331:

What makes you think he will suffer the two things you aforementioned if you choose FUTA. FUTA is not the only University that ASUU strike affected. It affects UI also, so what point are you driving at? You can't jump into conclusion easily that FUTA will have accreditation problem. It is not even up to three years they started Medicine. Stop making FUTA look bad if you are trying to persuade him to choose UI. You are trying to bad-mouth a school just because you want to showcase another school.
You think it's that easy. Every medical school in Nigeria usually passes through the phase of accredition hitches, it's almost an unwritten rule. Even the first set at UI finished their MBBS degrees in London. UNIBEN and IFE finished theirs somewhere else and that privilege is no longer available. The aspirants should just be aware of all these in order to make wise decisions. If they think they can bear the risk of facing accreditation problems and probably spending up to 9-10 yrs, then that's good them. It's the just info and expectations that are important.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 8:20pm On Nov 09, 2022
MrEgghead:
You think it's that easy. Every medical school in Nigeria usually passes through the phase of accredition hitches, it's almost an unwritten rule. Even the first set at UI finished their MBBS degrees in London. UNIBEN and IFE finished theirs somewhere else and that privilege is no longer available. The aspirants should just be aware of all these in order to make wise decisions. If they think they can bear the risk of facing accreditation problems and probably spending up to 9-10 yrs, then that's good them. It's the just info and expectations that are important.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 8:21pm On Nov 09, 2022
MrEgghead:

Boss, not all medical schools experience accreditation issues. Take for instance, the university in my state (Rivers State), they started medicine in 2018 and not one week has been lost due to accreditation or strike. The first set that was admitted in 2018(400 level class) are preparing to write 3rd MB next week. It all depends on the seriousness of the government and management. The take off fund for the Rivers State University medical school was a whopping 7.6 Billion naira. If all state governments and the Federal government can be this committed, accreditation issues will be a thing of the past.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by LordPauling: 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2022
Eben331:

What makes you think he will suffer the two things you aforementioned if you choose FUTA. FUTA is not the only University that ASUU strike affected. It affects UI also, so what point are you driving at? You can't jump into conclusion easily that FUTA will have accreditation problem. It is not even up to three years they started Medicine. Stop making FUTA look bad if you are trying to persuade him to choose UI. You are trying to bad-mouth a school just because you want to showcase another school.

bro what u should know is that any school that going to any school that doesn't have accreditation is a big issues. It took a whole UNIABUJA which is a federal school about 10 years before they could graduate their first set . I mean no harm bro I am not trying to badmouth any school grin by the way has FUTA made plans to get a teaching hospital self .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 8:57pm On Nov 09, 2022
Clinton39:

Boss, not all medical schools experience accreditation issues. Take for instance, the university in my state (Rivers State), they started medicine in 2018 and not one week has been lost due to accreditation or strike. The first set that was admitted in 2018(400 level class) are preparing to write 3rd MB next week. It all depends on the seriousness of the government and management. The take off fund for the Rivers State University medical school was a whopping 7.6 Billion naira. If all state governments and the Federal government can be this committed, accreditation issues will be a thing of the past.
Has the school graduated any set yet? If not, wait till then. I could be wrong though!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 10:40pm On Nov 09, 2022
Clinton39:

E be like say you no truly understand the whole ACCREDITATION ISH.

The matter na to graduate them.

Currently, RSU is still partially accredited. Even at that though. Let's wait till the first set are graduated. Though, I hope things turn out good.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by akwesenana: 4:59am On Nov 10, 2022
Hi there. smileyCheck out my new YouTube video on the histology of pituitary gland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXFMJ0tRJA[/quote]
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2022
Dvd4:
E be like say you no truly understand the whole ACCREDITATION ISH.

The matter na to graduate them.

Currently, RSU is still partially accredited. Even at that though. Let's wait till the first set are graduated. Though, I hope things turn out good.
You and I both know that the issue of accreditation is mostly faced at the 2nd MB and 3rd MB stages. RSU scaled through all these at the first attempt. I don't think any other school in recent memory has achieved such. Yes, they have not graduated any set, but the signs are good.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medicaspirant20: 10:09am On Nov 11, 2022
Good day everyone. Please who is aware of the jupeb programme in uniport. Is application for 2022/2023 session still on? If not, what other schools are still offering, and how much is the fees
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medicaspirant20: 10:17am On Nov 11, 2022
How is uniport aggregate calculated. Who wrote the uniport post utme for 2022/2033 medicine and surgery? How were your results?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 1:48pm On Nov 11, 2022
MrEgghead:

I know what it takes to get full accreditation from MDCN. I have a document on it and I can say it is not easy task. Though medical schools have faced accreditation issues in one way or the other, but the number of years they use differ. Some medical schools do not use up to 9 years before getting accreditation from MDCN. It depends on how serious the school management take the accreditation process. Though schools like Uniabuja used about 12 years before getting full accreditation, EKSU used about 10 years (their first set of medical students graduated in 2019, since 2009) but schools like Unimed used about 1 or 2 years to get accreditation from MDCN though it is still partial accreditation because they haven't graduated their first set of medical students. So it depends on the school management seriousness. Aspirants that can't bear the risk of facing accreditation issues should pick medical schools that already have full accreditation. That's the best advice to give them.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) (866) ... (908) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.