Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,756 members, 7,889,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:08 PM

Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate (24207 Views)

FG Seeks Abolition Of Visa Requirement Among D-8 Member Countries / Tinubu Calls For Revolution / Tinubu Calls For Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
Tinubu should call for the abolition of unmerited allowances currently being freely distributed like rain water.

At the moment, Nigeria actually needs the senate as it ensures more representation for the minority. Both Lagos and Bayelsa produce three senators each.
Abolishing the senate is tantamount to concentrating enormous powers in the hands of the biggest ethnic groups among other bad implications.

But we have not run the system well. We copied a good model but implemented it in a bad way. What needs overhauling is the political process that produce these corrupt thieves at NASS. But if we restructure to a federation of mainly six regions with greater autonomy for the federating units, then there is no point having the senate.

I think his call is tied to restructuring the country.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by 2mch(m): 6:33pm On Sep 19, 2012
I agree. This is serious brain. They seem to be doing the same thing which makes the senate redundant. We dont need to waste time passing laws and resolving issues by making it go through two houses. The debates, passing laws and everything can be done in the NA. NA is closer to the people than the senate. The senate is the most aloof, elitist, useless band of criminals.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by nduchucks: 6:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: What the rest of the country struggle to achieve in strategy, the Northern states working together can accomplish with a single vote.

If we cannot obtain regional partitioning we must work a plan to break the 2/3 monopoly held by Arewa states.

How do you plan to chieve this impractical and seemingly unachievable feat? You need the 2/3 number to do this. shey you get?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ib0221: 6:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
I think this is the most objective n constructive discourse I've ever encountered in this forum.It is almost devoid of tribalism n cases are presented with maturity and responsility. What strike me is unsentimentality of most respondents. However, that does not mean I agree with most of the stands.
Due to my predicament I'll state my view.
1Tinubu was only calling for snc n having been a beneficiary of it shouldnt betray his calls if looked closely.
2 We shouldnt copy any state cos we're different.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by MacLovington(m): 7:21pm On Sep 19, 2012
Frank-C:
Talking about cutting cost, why not scrap the House of Reps, afterall they are more in number, less mature and less productive than the Senate.

If there is only The House, mature people will automatically precipitate there too. There will be more competition to be a rep.

More in number means each member represents a smaller number of people and IN THEORY make governance closer to the people.

An expensive duplication of function is unaffordable. OBJ has said it before.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Elueme: 7:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
Desola:

I'm sorry PointB but we are on opposite sides of the spectrum. That I can no longer stand Gbawe does not in any way, shape or form mean I am a signatory to your line of thought.

Tinubu is fit to be a political leader and far better in my opinion than jonasatan but to be the leader of the Yorubas is what I totally oppose. The stark difference between him and Awo is that Awo was not only a Yoruba political leader, he was also the leader of the Yorubas who stood for integrity, loyalty, vision, progress and dignity. All these qualities, I find lacking in Tinubu but for rescuing the SW from the evil PDP party (although for his own gratification), I commend him and indebted to him.
Who then are you working for and whose political ideology in line with the present political movement are you propagating since you stalked you mouth to derail everyone who aligns thought with you? You should be wise young chap! Point B concurring with your line of reasoning doesn't equate a compromising position or wanting to win you over.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2012
MacLovington: .

If there is only The House, mature people will automatically precipitate there too. There will be more competition to be a rep.

More in number means each member represents a smaller number of people and IN THEORY make governance closer to the people.

An expensive duplication of function is unaffordable. OBJ has said it before.

I do not subscribe to the view that either house is mature or responsible.

Now that I have addressed that, I can reply your post.

By and large, those who seek political office are criminals and thieves. That many are former generals does not mean they are responsible or mature. Will you refer to David Mark as mature and responsible.

What will most likely happen is that with reduced seats to fight for, assassinations, attempted assassinations, and mysterious death (aka died after a brief illness) will become increased. People with good names and values are not given a chance in such an environment. Only those who seek wealth at all cost compete.

When Nigerians change their mindset (quick money) and the system is devised in such a manner to discourage thugs, will you have a truly mature legislature.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 7:39pm On Sep 19, 2012
Elueme: Who then are you working for and whose political ideology in line with the present political movement are you propagating since you stalked you mouth to derail everyone who aligns thought with you? You should be wise young chap! Point B concurring with your line of reasoning doesn't equate a compromising position or wanting to win you over.

I am glad that this is coming from PointB's spokesperson since as articulated as he is, he now requires you to speak for him.

Duly noted, thank you.

NEXT!!!

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 7:42pm On Sep 19, 2012
Elueme: Who then are you working for and whose political ideology in line with the present political movement are you propagating since you stalked you mouth to derail everyone who aligns thought with you? You should be wise young chap! Point B concurring with your line of reasoning doesn't equate a compromising position or wanting to win you over.

You miss the point of her post. Let me summarise if I can

1. She loathes PDP WITH ALL HER HEART AND SOUL

2. She was happy that Tinubu was able to remove the band of brigands (PDP) from her region

3. She had hope that Tinubu would do well and actually start to address years of destruction inflicted on her region by OBJ and his gang

4. She is disappointed by Tinubu's approach so far. vis-a-vis
a) method employed for primaries
b) nepotism
c) Tinubu benefiting from the system
d) not proffering pragmatic solutions, instead playing to the gallery with dead on arrival suggestions

5. She hopes that by voicing her strong opinions, Tinubu and his representatives will become aware that all is not well - To whom much is given, much is expected

I think that is her position. Desola, I apologize in advance if I got it wrong.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 7:46pm On Sep 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

You miss the point of her post. Let me summarise if I can

1. She loathes PDP WITH ALL HER HEART AND SOUL

2. She was happy that Tinubu was able to remove the band of brigands (PDP) from her region

3. She had hope that Tinubu would do well and actually start to address years of destruction inflicted on her region by OBJ and his gang

4. She is disappointed by Tinubu's approach so far. vis-a-vis
a) method employed for primaries
b) nepotism
c) Tinubu benefiting from the system
d) not proffering pragmatic solutions, instead playing to the gallery with dead on arrival suggestions

5. She hopes that by voicing her strong opinions, Tinubu and his representatives will become aware that all is not well - To whom much is given, much is expected

I think that is her position. Desola, I apologize in advance if I got it wrong.

Kats, you hit all the points hard. Very well articulated, very nicely summarised.

You got it right.

Thank you sir!
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by nduchucks: 7:51pm On Sep 19, 2012
get a cubicle already smiley
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 7:55pm On Sep 19, 2012
ndu_chucks: get a cubicle already smiley

Mallam,

You be proper agbaya. LMAO grin grin grin grin

Desola:

Kats, you hit all the points hard. Very well articulated, very nicely summarised.

You got it right.

Thank you sir!

You are welcome; how about dinner? wink

(Abugije will soon be here to do what he does best)
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 7:59pm On Sep 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

Mallam,

You be proper agbaya. LMAO grin grin grin grin

You are welcome; how about dinner? wink

(Abugije will soon be here to do what he does best)

sure! My place or yours?

Were yen o le block nada lale yi men... grin
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 8:00pm On Sep 19, 2012
ndu_chucks: get a cubicle already smiley

Don't hate cos imma get some tonight! grin
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by nduchucks: 8:09pm On Sep 19, 2012
No wahala. You people were pi ssing me off with the great points you were making. If many SWesterners have your points of view, then the other regions will need to buckle up.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 8:17pm On Sep 19, 2012
Desola:

sure! My place or yours?

Were yen o le block nada lale yi men... grin

Yours of course.

Now to catch a flight; need a supersonic jet. grin
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by fagamite: 8:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
^^^

Congrats! grin

PS: Oh just something to think about: I'd advise you use your place, on the streets of London. More control cheesy!

And lets hope she is not using you as a ticket out of Ajegunle.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Elueme: 8:52pm On Sep 19, 2012
Desola:

I am glad that this is coming from PointB's spokesperson since as articulated as he is, he now requires you to speak for him.

Duly noted, thank you.

NEXT!!!
I can see you are cynical... Wel!l!, understood that different folks think differently, why we have personality disorder.. I never meant to deride you, I just wanted to know your ideology( though you are not obliged to discuss that with me anyway)
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EagleNest(m): 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2012
Spot on! The Bi-Cameral system is a waste for now. Even the present presidential system is also expensive
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by walexbiz(m): 10:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
Desola:

so long as it makes you sleep at night at the thought of a beautiful arewa obirin is stalking you virtually, then it's okay by me ojare. Agba iya! Agba ti won fi nsepe f'omode. Awon abaluje dede. Nkan ti won ma je o je won gbon.

Eleriibu, you don't demean women, you just call them names which in your own dictionary means praising them. As I said before, your veil is off, the whole charade has ended. Go back to your
laptop ojare, Lappy ACN 001. I hope you use a mac and not windows like the PDP lappies.

hey dudes, i am surprise by the level of immaturity you two are exhibiting, considering the fact that u are yoruba one who have expected that u exhibit the highest form of regard for each other. Mrs or miss desola you are a lady and one would have expected u to show wisdom in what you do. If u are or would be a mother what kind of discipline would u instill in your kid.
Mr Gbawe what kind of elder goes around insulting young ones. Even when they err
one woul have expected u to show wisdom. Agba ti o binu ni omo po jojo. To be candid mr gbawe i have always respected ur opinions with regards to national issue but when this issue that you have neuer criticized acn policy i sat down and analyze some of your post and i realize it is true. Sir for future sake lets criticize objectively without bias for we cannot create a monster to destroy monster cos if we do we will only be shooting ourself in the foot. Please lets quash our anger and be fair in our judgement. A word is good enough for the wise.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Akanbiedu(m): 10:42pm On Sep 19, 2012
omo adie o mo awodi, iya e l'omo asa.

Oga katz ati sis Desola, when are you going to join this struggle to get a better deal for Yoruba people? Sebi Tinubu is not doing it right.

Abi na like this we go dey dey?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Gbawe: 10:54pm On Sep 19, 2012
walex_biz:

hey dudes, i am surprise by the level of immaturity you two are exhibiting, considering the fact that u are yoruba one who have expected that u exhibit the highest form of regard for each other. Mrs or miss desola you are a lady and one would have expected u to show wisdom in what you do. If u are or would be a mother what kind of discipline would u instill in your kid.
Mr Gbawe what kind of elder goes around insulting young ones. Even when they err
one woul have expected u to show wisdom. Agba ti o binu ni omo po jojo. To be candid mr gbawe i have always respected ur opinions with regards to national issue but when this issue that you have neuer criticized acn policy i sat down and analyze some of your post and i realize it is true. Sir for future sake lets criticize objectively without bias for we cannot create a monster to destroy monster cos if we do we will only be shooting ourself in the foot. Please lets quash our anger and be fair in our judgement. A word is good enough for the wise.

My guy, decorum has been extended to this shrew by many here. She has never once accepted it and I think it is because too many 'sad' men, with their brain lost in the 'South', back her blindly here and sycophantically elevate her - even when it is obvious she is absolute filth and gutter trash. I believe strongly in right and wrong. If folks called her to order more, when she has been wrong, then she will be forced to do the right thing here and address others with civility.

Instead, she is allowed to go around disgracing Yoruba folks here. She is the worst as an example of Nigerian slackness, uncouthness and 'agbero' behaviour. She will call Igbos all manners of hateful and bigoted name here but I am struggling to think of any igbo or non-Yoruba lady as uncouth or as unlady-like as this shrew. She is nothing but a total disgrace to all right-thinking Yoruba folks here. You guys should all show the fairness we Yoruba folks are known for and stop this your shameful show of partisanship and hideous "woman-wrapper" cowardice. I submitted my opinion here on page 1, that was absolutely nothing to do with her, and this hateful shrew , totally unprovoked, wrote:

Lobatan! Liar! Sycophant!

What is wrong with you people? Are some of you not ashamed? Is it because a woman is involved you have to engage in this disgusting partisan show? Why not simply castigate wrongdoers consistently, regardless of sex, and refrain from joining issue with those merely defending their right to discuss here without harrassment from a shrew who is nothing but a disgrace to Yoruba folks? What positives does she contribute here when she is only ever consumed with baiting other ethnic groups? I tire for you guys men.

Many of you are disappointing. All you know is that an ID is female and you are ready to embrace hideous unfairness. Go back to page one and show what I did wrong here to warrant this nonsense from you. I should just accept insults and say nothing? How are some of you going to raise kids when you can't make principled decisions based purely on who has done wrong and thus deserves sanction?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Akanbiedu(m): 11:27pm On Sep 19, 2012
I am not a christian but there is a story in the bible that has made a very big impression on me. It is that story about isrealites when rescued from Pharaoh. I keep remembering that story dunno why.

Nor be Human beings. shior

But thank God Tinubu understands and he carries on against all odds. If he were like many of these short-sighted people, he would have lost out since.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
Akanbi_edu: omo adie o mo awodi, iya e l'omo asa.

Oga katz ati sis Desola, when are you going to join this struggle to get a better deal for Yoruba people? Sebi Tinubu is not doing it right.

Abi na like this we go dey dey?

Pardon my poor Yoruba but what is the translation of the proverb?

With regards to your question, people have different stakes in Nigeria and Odualand.

Regardless of my personal experience, I still continue to seek the ilosiwaju of the Yoruba people and Nigerians generally.

The main issue I have with the ACN is that it is not seeking to re-organize the foundation of Nigeria so that it can pursue an agenda that would be for the benefit og the Yoruba.

Correct me if I am wrong but as any ACN legislator sponsored a bill about re-organizing Nigeria along regional lines? Everyone knows that Nigeria is doomed with the current shaky unitary form of government.

What policies is the party pushing to ensure that the Yoruba are not left in the wilderness if Nigeria is re-organized? I am referring to economic emancipation and growth.

What I see is a consolidation of power in certain individuals which will not benefit the Yoruba at large.

Perhaps I am ignorant of what is on ground; any relevant information would be helpful.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ZeusI: 11:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
We had a military regim Abiola, tinubu will be the democratic Abiola, i wonder where he will be kept before sipping his own cup of their usual lipton tea while the taster goes to pray.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ZeusI: 11:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
Gbawe:

This is the crux of the matter. Had it been that Nigeria is not a Nation that bastardizes successful models seen elsewhere,Tinubu's call would be unnecessary. Everything in Nigeria has to be turned into an avenue for a few to derive stupendous wealth which should ordinarily go towards developing the nation.
cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ZeusI: 11:41pm On Sep 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: To those asking how to do it......by special ballot! The people should vote to keep or do away with it.
Dreamer! Wake up!!! I dey laugh
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ZeusI: 11:47pm On Sep 19, 2012
Paul John: Why in the first place do a country that has not fed his people have two arms of law makers?
Is there a law that the green chamber can't pass except the senate and vice versa?
You see? When i was telling you to be attending lectures, especially on Govt you refused and prefared to be chasing BISI, now you are seeing the result.:p:p
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Gbawe: 11:50pm On Sep 19, 2012
Akanbi_edu: I am not a christian but there is a story in the bible that has made a very big impression on me. It is that story about isrealites when rescued from Pharaoh. I keep remembering that story dunno why.

Nor be Human beings. shior

But thank God Tinubu understands and he carries on against all odds. If he were like many of these short-sighted people, he would have lost out since.

Thank you my Brother!! Genuine Yoruba folks, with lucid memories of the past, and a keen sense of where we are going, know what Tinubu is. We are not his slaves. Far from it !!!! Does he hold any position at State level? Big NO!!! Is he employed by the federal Government of Nigeria? Another big NO !!! Everyone should face their own Local representative who can deliver the change they want instead of this vacuous focus on Tinubu.

Like him or hate him, he is at least supporting civilised men and performers into office when the South West has suffered the indignity of being controlled by illiterates like Adedibu while the likes of Soyinka are ostracized. empty idealism serves no purpose. It is worthless by how it always fails to take into account the stark reality of things.

If Tinubu disappeared tomorrow, and OBJ holds sway once again, then we can all look forward to the return of Agagu, Olurin, Fayose, OGD, Alao-Akala et al.

In this project the SW has embarked on, patience is required. Tinubu will and should only fall our hand if he starts supporting those who lack ideas , and are overt criminals, to run the region. He holds no political office and , for now, is an enabler and an overall force for good looking at issues purely from a perspective of those he has hoisted into governance.

Yet we can always trust vacuous "notice-me" noisemakers to seek attentions and cause problems where there is none. Progressive and reasonable men are now in charge of several SW States. Challenge and engage them intelligently , regarding what you thinks is not being done, instead of making malevolent noise here about Tinubu who is not in charge of any elective Nigerian office.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 12:15am On Sep 20, 2012
Gbawe

A few points consider

1. Some who criticise do so out of love for their home and people and not out of malice

2. Many of those who criticise, were happy with Tinubu for chasing out OBJ and his gang of thieves

3. Chasing out PDP is not the end all and be all; the work is just starting. Similarly, it is wrong to use PDP and OBJ to scare folks. Excellent performance should be the KPI and motivation and not using the 'bogey man' to scare folks. Not associating with brigands is not the key factor as to whether he 'falls' our hand. He will 'fall' our hands if Fashola turns out to be his only performer.

4. Tinubu has profited financially from his position. That may not matter much if he delivers. It is time to put personal financial gratification aside and embark on a long process of communal economic growth mixed with welfarist policies.

5. That many are unhappy with the PDP should not make the ACN resort to undemocratic methods in selecting office seekers.

6. It is impossible for a party to satisfy everyone; so the ACN should be prepared to accept criticism. As a Yoruba, that is a given. Attempting to label others who question your methods, style, and record is a NO NO. It is the quickest way to irrelevance in Yorubaland.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Gbawe: 1:07am On Sep 20, 2012
Katsumoto: Gbawe

A few points consider

1. Some who criticise do so out of love for their home and people and not out of malice

Granted, but do you think Yoruba folks don't know how to pragmatically 'qauntify' Tinubu? What do you want us to do? Focus on a man who has no official position , and is not contributing to the ruination of Nigeria currently, yet is using his Political Party to bring sophisticated Governance to the SW that is now delivering what was a dream in the past i.e the notion that the some of the most meritorious sons of a State should lead her?

2. Many of those who criticise, were happy with Tinubu for chasing out OBJ and his gang of thieves

Yes, but those you talk of and defend now get it totally wrong with their vacuous witch-hunt an intelligent person like you must never encourage. Where is your sense of equity that must lead you to challenge them to assail the leadership that is most impacting on them at the local or State level? Is that leadership "Tinubu"?

3. Chasing out PDP is not the end all and be all; the work is just starting. Similarly, it is wrong to use PDP and OBJ to scare folks. Excellent performance should be the KPI and motivation and not using the 'bogey man' to scare folks.

When have I said it is? Look, as I have done many times, I am ready to show that this is not about empty rhetoric for me. It is about "tangibles" everyone can see and feel. The PDP are out and the real work of those who have replaced them show progress !!! What, for example, do you think of how Ogun State now has a BRT scheme? Built from scratch with new buses supplied, bus lanes demarcated and Stations built? Guy, that is the sort of thing me and you would have settled on as a "necessity" before the elections!!!!

Not associating with brigands is not the key factor as to whether he 'falls' our hand. He will 'fall' our hands if Fashola turns out to be his only performer.

Frankly, Fashola is not the only ACN performer even if folks want to believe that to be the case here. I have, on my own, supplied pictorial proof of several ACN Governors directly addressing pressing challenges.

4. Tinubu has profited financially from his position. That may not matter much if he delivers. It is time to put personal financial gratification aside and embark on a long process of communal economic growth mixed with welfarist policies.

What "delivery" do you want from Tinubu? He is a Party boss assisting electoral processes. It is those who go on to be elected officials we must face. You must ask them to deliver not Tinubu. It seems surreal we are still at the stage of talking about Tinubu as if he has any contract of Governance allowing us to confront him. We have to face our Governors, Senators and Reps as a people who understand and are ready to abide by the concept of holding our directly elected representatives to account.

5. That many are unhappy with the PDP should not make the ACN resort to undemocratic methods in selecting office seekers.

I hear this all the time but it remains difficult to prove, within the limits of what is allowed, that the ACN has deployed any candidate selection model that is illegal as per the provisions the Party has set for itself.

6. It is impossible for a party to satisfy everyone; so the ACN should be prepared to accept criticism. As a Yoruba, that is a given. Attempting to label others who question your methods, style, and record is a NO NO. It is the quickest way to irrelevance in Yorubaland.

Look, I personally accept criticism. What I am not prepared to do is pander to this inanity where everyone run around proclaiming Tinubu the saviour/damnation of the Yoruba people. that is a redundant model of politics that works if we see others as unthinking zombie totally beholden to one man who enjoys no Government position whatsoever. I would be more comfortable when we start to direct this attention, level of apprehension and dark forecast towards those who actually possess the office to make a difference.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 2:42am On Sep 20, 2012
Gbawe:

Granted, but do you think Yoruba folks don't know how to pragmatically 'qauntify' Tinubu? What do you want us to do? Focus on a man who has no official position , and is not contributing to the ruination of Nigeria currently, yet is using his Political Party to bring sophisticated Governance to the SW that is now delivering what was a dream in the past i.e the notion that the some of the most meritorious sons of a State should lead her?

I am sorry to state this but I am left with no choice. First, It is naïve at best and disingenuous at worst to suggest that because Tinubu is no longer an office holder, he is not involved in policy making. He is the defacto leader of the ACN and as such he personally and politically liable for the actions of ACN office holders and benefits financially from ACN policies. Whether rightly or wrongly, his company has the contract for tax collection in Lagos.

Second, if we are to compile a list of those who have profited financially from the various military and civilian governments till date, Tinubu’s name will not be absent. Today, Tinubu is a wealthy man, you will struggle to convince many that Tinubu’s wealth is not connected to the positions he has held. Anyone who has profited from the mess Nigeria finds itself in is guilty. There are no buts here. Just as IBB and OBJ can not provide any financial records to justify the mansions they own in Minna and Abeokuta respectively, so also can Tinubu not point to any records supporting his ability to own his Bourdillon home. O to oro ko ni ka ma so oun.

Gbawe:
Yes, but those you talk of and defend now get it totally wrong with their vacuous witch-hunt an intelligent person like you must never encourage. Where is your sense of equity that must lead you to challenge them to assail the leadership that is most impacting on them at the local or State level? Is that leadership "Tinubu"?

The question you have to ask is, ‘ why are those who heralded Tinubu’s victory now being accused of ‘vacuous witch hunting’? One can draw parallels between this and the same manner you voiced support for GEJ during the Yaradua era but switched to criticizing him as soon as it was apparent to YOU that he was a non-performer. As a stakeholder, you have every right to be disappointed and to voice your disappointment.

As for defending Tinubu, I will defend him against PDP crooks and malicious non-Yoruba personas but not when a Yoruba person or lover levels constructive criticism. More so when I don’t believe Tinubu to be a saint.

Gbawe:
When have I said it is? Look, as I have done many times, I am ready to show that this is not about empty rhetoric for me. It is about "tangibles" everyone can see and feel. The PDP are out and the real work of those who have replaced them show progress !!! What, for example, do you think of how Ogun State now has a BRT scheme? Built from scratch with new buses supplied, bus lanes demarcated and Stations built? Guy, that is the sort of thing me and you would have settled on as a "necessity" before the elections!!!!

That is good progress, more is expected.

Gbawe:
Frankly, Fashola is not the only ACN performer even if folks want to believe that to be the case here. I have, on my own, supplied pictorial proof of several ACN Governors directly addressing pressing challenges.

Perhaps, that may be the case but remember that performance and success are relative terms. I made that comment because you painted a picture of what could happen if Tinubu left the stage and PDP re-appeared on the scene.

Gbawe:
What "delivery" do you want from Tinubu? He is a Party boss assisting electoral processes. It is those who go on to be elected officials we must face. You must ask them to deliver not Tinubu. It seems surreal we are still at the stage of talking about Tinubu as if he has any contract of Governance allowing us to confront him. We have to face our Governors, Senators and Reps as a people who understand and are ready to abide by the concept of holding our directly elected representatives to account.

Addressed this above but to add to that, Tinubu is liable. Same way that Nigerians lambast OBJ, Anenih, Atiku, IBB who no longer hold office but more importantly wield influence to their advantage.

Gbawe:
I hear this all the time but it remains difficult to prove, within the limits of what is allowed, that the ACN has deployed any candidate selection model that is illegal as per the provisions the Party has set for itself.

It is not a court of law but a court of public opinion. Meaning that the ACN is guilty in the eyes of many as long as they believe that the party employs undemocratic means. The issue is about transparency and ACN has done a poor job in clarifying this. There were a few candidates who spoke out against this last year. This is perfectly in line with the publicly held view that Mamora was asked to step down for Tinubu’s wife. Whether you are willing to accept it or not, that is what people believe.

Gbawe:
Look, I personally accept criticism. What I am not prepared to do is pander to this inanity where everyone run around proclaiming Tinubu the saviour/damnation of the Yoruba people. that is a redundant model of politics that works if we see others as unthinking zombie totally beholden to one man who enjoys no Government position whatsoever. I would be more comfortable when we start to direct this attention, level of apprehension and dark forecast towards those who actually possess the office to make a difference.

Again Tinubu provides direction; he wields complete power in ACN, he is more responsible than others. Even if he takes a less visible role, he would still held liable and accountable. That is what responsibility is all about. His name is tied to the success or failure of ACN office holders and policy.

I make these comments like others so that the ACN leadership is aware that there are eyes on them and people are expecting good progress and not snail speed progress. Just in case Tinubu is unaware, people are grumbling. Many are already preparing against the chap he allegedly wants to present as Lagos governor in 2015.
These are my own views and as always, I welcome any comments that can educate me further.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Wike And Danagogo To Commission Bonny, Nembe Jetty (photos) / I Was Framed By The Military - General Shuwa Killer / Senate To Remove Immunity For President, Governors, Deputies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.