Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,407 members, 7,881,480 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:53 PM

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities (32257 Views)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / NUC Bans Online Degrees, Abacha Varsity Certificates / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by gidiMonsta(m): 5:03pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you for fake? It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten eye. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.

LMAO at the bolded...flower ko garri ni...Dude this has to do with academics and the NUC has every right to interfere in it.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by alkadriyar(m): 5:04pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.
Am disappointed in NL for accommodating u and making ur comment d first . It seems u dont even know wht NUC is and its essence.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by alkadriyar(m): 5:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
Gamuguma: nothing is wrong with re-sit exams. NUC should make sure universities have proper equipments so as to make our graduate has proper practical knowledge. That is their main tax. Gbam
bros u need 2 re-sit ur comment.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem stupid.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Afam4eva(m): 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bludeville: I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem stupid.
My point exactly...
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by unekwubaby: 5:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
Gamuguma: nothing is wrong with re-sit exams. NUC should make sure universities have proper equipments so as to make our graduate has proper practical knowledge. That is their main tax. Gbam

why gbam?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Austindark(m): 5:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
Viewing this topic: folajohny, gbenga2000, dayounce, rill, Win 95, ay0201(m), opey25, Thorby(m), tolu001, walexy14, Funlorla(f), DICKtator, ItsModella(f), kuru, ohunyon(m), Nosyke(m), gidiMonsta(m), Super Dan, moruphb, Bludeville(f), Princeofilorin(m), solayemi(f), rareman(m), tigoomoniyi, K YO, sleek29(m), franchizy, saxywale(m), Coefficient(m), Keji OJ(m), bandiejay(m), Kposkila, scopedon(m), zangality(m), emamos, oribukola1(m), wisejoe, Dheymola, Mahattman, anthokal(m), specco, @echo, tydd, DanoskyZ, jungle700, dabongo, spartanian(m), francileudo, courage89(m), rabs(m), camcor(m), sylva#, Schipol, jamebex(m), Imanuelle, olumide77, kamdyjenny(f), jimino(m), Austindark(m), gbokukueba, Chikebrain, noetic16(m), Tony Spike, sharp man(m), okito, neyo_2k7(m), plato7, blackgig(m), Adebaba1, easy4beno(m), idgerrard, sample042(m), belovedaja, chilopat, shuues, Xtranoble(m), outofthebox, ferhyntorlah(f), Captain2012(m), LCDD, zeefa, Ezemarcel, danielgloria, guccimilan(m), Tosinsure, NAIRA25, ACM10, Dolly-Parton(f), salt 1, Luka316(m), icon8, Joe_self(m), lainex(m), ambrosini593(m), afam4eva(m), jonex70(m), Tallcutie(f), jendoslim(m), alkadriyar, dyoung, mdsocks(m), unekwubaby, Joyturns2 and 128 guest(s)

wat an interesting thread
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by DrWhizy(m): 5:19pm On Sep 21, 2012
saxywale:
Resit is common in private universities.

It is also applicable in the school of medical/health/pharmacy of some or most government universities where students usually graduate with a pass or distinction. If a student fails the Resit, then he/she repeats the year.
I don't really think the NUC means to refer to the resit exams in colleges of medicine.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by akereconfi: 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
I fink...this decision is directed towards MEDICAL students....
MBBS professional exam RESIT

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by siddiq202(m): 5:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tony Spike: This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee. grin
you are very correct. no government university do re-sit exams for student except private universities
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 21, 2012
Afam,are u trying to be silly,or you are just a dumb?NUC is a body charged with the regulation of activities in Nigeria universities,what's the aim of carry over,if students can resit for a failed exams within the same semester...this sharp practice is only done in private unis.
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by omicron(m): 5:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
In medical schools resit exams are done since adam and eve. So i guess the NUC is not referring to medical colleges cos they do not run the normal semester exams...and courses are prerequesite courses which must be passed before proceedin to the next class. NO CARRY OVERS! But you get to REPEAT the course totally if you fail the resit..and most courses last up to 18months before the exams. That's why someone may remain in med school for up to sooo long. So definitely this will not apply to med students....otherwise its a great idea.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
Yomieluv: Afam,are u trying to be silly,or you are just a dumb?NUC is a body charged with the regulation of activities in Nigeria universities,what's the aim of carry over,if students can resit for a failed exams within the same semester...this sharp practice is only done in private unis.

afam4eva:
It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten brain. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by brownlord: 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2012

Bros men hail men o
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by 151487made(m): 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
Nice-Kid:
They call it REMEDIAL programme
Even dey cal it makeup exam
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by brownlord: 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
unekwubaby:

why gbam?

Gbam to end e foolishness
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by brownlord: 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2012
omicron: In medical schools resit exams are done since adam and eve. So i guess the NUC is not referring to medical colleges cos they do not run the normal semester exams...and courses are prerequesite courses which must be passed before proceedin to the next class. NO CARRY OVERS! But you get to REPEAT the course totally if you fail the resit..and most courses last up to 18months before the exams. That's why someone may remain in med school for up to sooo long. So definitely this will not apply to med students....otherwise its a great idea.

I may be wrong, but no one truly understand where u heading
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tony Spike: This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee. grin

Guess you are right. Why would private universities produce the highest number of 1st class graduants
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by boron10(m): 5:37pm On Sep 21, 2012

hahahahahaha o boy, this is serious. Hope you are not a graduate of Nigerian Uni?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
Nice-Kid:
But come to think of it, re-sit and sorting, which one is better? People that pay lecturers in cash/kind to get good scores and those who want to try-again, whom would you prefer?

None of the above.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tevinsolt: 5:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
if we go to school to learn and gain knowledge why are institutions happy about the failure of their students? the faster we try to understand why we learn and why there are schools the better for us, cuz it's seems like students are being tested just to be strict or to cut people off.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nsikann: 5:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
Why on earth wud some universities do that? NUC should sanction schools that indulge in such acts,they re not helping our school system to improve.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Wsdm: 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
May be they are tired of the alarming number of graduates in the labour market hence the need to reduce it.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by omicron(m): 5:43pm On Sep 21, 2012
brownlord:

I may be wrong, but no one truly understand where u heading
my point is that the ban is not for med students who are known to write MBBS resit exams because med schools do not run the usual semester system and do not follow the normal course credit system applicable to other depts.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bad news for MBBS students at least they should have waited till next year.
Bad bad bad!!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bludeville: I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
thank you my sis,i doubt they have in dept knowledge what re-sit is all about. Maybe they fink its only private schools that organise resit. In medical college resit is an important part of the programme. Some schools even wnt to organise two resits b4 the main exam.its difficult to fit Medical college programmes into semesters.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Opemipo011: 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
i tot nuc was referring to carryovers... Guess they're referring to private universities dat conducts dat for students before another semester commences so they wont have extra year.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2012
omicron: my point is that the ban is not for med students who are known to write MBBS resit exams because med schools do not run the usual semester system and do not follow the normal course credit system applicable to other depts.
thats Dr omicron speaking...lol cool
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by foluberry(f): 5:48pm On Sep 21, 2012
Wo'eva u guys! Abuse private unis as much as u want, dey v got d same opportunities wit fed or state unis anywhere. D practise of 'summer' as it is popularly called is just like an intensive coaching during the four months break while d students dat have failed d course re-write dia failed courses. Durin the four months break, while dia mates r playin @ home or engagin in other stuff, dey r in schl receiving lectures and tryin 2 pass dia failed courses and dia grades are slashed. For example, if u failed a course before and you take it durin summer and you have an A, ur A will be slashed to a C. So it iznt entirely easy or a marketin strategy as sum ppl have implied. D university authority just tries to help to reduce the number of spill over students as evn the authorities don't encourage summer. Summer takes place when they should be resting @ home and the schl will rather provide accommodation for freshers rather dan have spill and splash overs filling dia hostels just because one wizard lecturer has promised they won't graduate with their set. So its ur choice, u can choose a uni wit sensitive authorities or otherwise.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tiwasiaife(m): 5:50pm On Sep 21, 2012
And the universities are: MOSHOO ABIOLA UNIV. Lagos,UNIMAID,ABU,UI,UNILORRIN,UNIPORTH,COVENANT,IDAHOSA UNIV,EKPOMA UNIV.AND NASARAWA STATE UNIV.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by ABAKA72(m): 5:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ok, so what happens when the resitting student fails the resit exam?.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by dadicvila(m): 5:55pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you for fake? It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten eye. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.
here he goes again trying to defend crap with even greater crap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIBEN - 2016/2017 Postgraduate Application Form Is Out / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab / Nursing In An University Or School Of Nursing - Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.