Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,417 members, 7,881,529 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:34 PM

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities (32258 Views)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / NUC Bans Online Degrees, Abacha Varsity Certificates / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by daveemuobo(m): 6:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
Smooth278: It's common in d medical schools world wide, jst anoda spike in d ongoing war btw d medical profession and d NUC face-off; so sad dt innocent students have to suffer.

Its not for med students.its for those running the Course Credit System if not,.........God help us,,
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Sanguine77(m): 6:47pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tony Spike: This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee. grin
You're there dude!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Obinoscopy(m): 6:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
Hope they won't tamper the resit system used by medical schools. In medical school, you can write a resit but if you fail again then you repeat a whole year
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by foluberry(f): 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2012
siddiq202:
Do private univeristy students have two heads? why can't they carry the course over and see how easy it is to combine a carry-over course with the ones at hand instead of using their break to "make-up" for it.
Anyways NUC says it is not allowed....lo ba pa ri

I smell envy. Lyk I said before, its a matter of choice. U can choose a uni wit sensitive authorities or otherwise! Trust me, nuc can't completely ban summer, it can only be modified! #lobatan
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by foluberry(f): 7:02pm On Sep 21, 2012
Osheshe:

You seem to have a lot of experience on the academic system of the two (2) private universities you mentioned. Are you an alumunus of either one of them? Or your views are based on interactions with friends within these institutions? You need to get your facts straight.

I'm an alumunus of Covenant University (check your spelling). I read architecture so I'm in a better position to shed more light on this issue.

Yes, resit examinations were conducted, for a stipulated fee. This did not enhance a students' CGPA in any way. The scores from failed courses were not 'erased' and 'replaced' as you stated. The resit scores were added and divided by the number of failed courses re-taken, then multiplied by a fixed percentage. At the end of the day, the overall aggregate added may be 0.01.

The concept of resit examinations (summer, as it is called) was introduced for certain reasons...

Ever heard of force majeure? These are unforeseen circumstances beyond one's control. Assuming one is too ill to write a paper, or suddenly falls ill in the middle of an exam, what happens? The individual has to spend an extra year in school for this?

In the department of architecture for instance, there are pre-requisite courses for which one needs a pass, before being eligible for the next level. There was a mix-up in the results in my third year, and I found myself in such a dilemma. I sat for the paper again during resit, and scored an A. At the end of the day, my original result was re-published...I scored a B, and this was retained, while the resit was discarded.

In the same vein, there are some courses which are not, and can never be written during resit. One of such is the Architectural Design Studio. Failure to pass this course automatically earns one an extra year, 2 extra years or even more.

I've seen people who spent 2, 3 sometimes 4 years before graduating despite this resit option. This just goes to show you that it is not applicable in every situation.

Those who eventually come out with a first class degree literally earn it. These are straight A's students who maintain their academic performance from first year, through to the final year.

Others attain this height due to a superb and brillant execution of their final year projects, which in turn boosts their CGPAs.

In my own department, first-class is not beans. At the very most, one out of about 50 architectural students per set makes a first class. And their records do not show any history of failed courses.

Pray, do tell...what do you stake your statements on? I'm curious.

Spot on bruv! Dey jus hating 4nuthn.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by superdude007(m): 7:02pm On Sep 21, 2012
Osheshe:

You seem to have a lot of experience on the academic system of the two (2) private universities you mentioned. Are you an alumunus of either one of them? Or your views are based on interactions with friends within these institutions? You need to get your facts straight.

I'm an alumunus of Covenant University (check your spelling). I read architecture so I'm in a better position to shed more light on this issue.

Yes, resit examinations were conducted, for a stipulated fee. This did not enhance a students' CGPA in any way. The scores from failed courses were not 'erased' and 'replaced' as you stated. The resit scores were added and divided by the number of failed courses re-taken, then multiplied by a fixed percentage. At the end of the day, the overall aggregate added may be 0.01.

The concept of resit examinations (summer, as it is called) was introduced for certain reasons...

Ever heard of force majeure? These are unforeseen circumstances beyond one's control. Assuming one is too ill to write a paper, or suddenly falls ill in the middle of an exam, what happens? The individual has to spend an extra year in school for this?

In the department of architecture for instance, there are pre-requisite courses for which one needs a pass, before being eligible for the next level. There was a mix-up in the results in my third year, and I found myself in such a dilemma. I sat for the paper again during resit, and scored an A. At the end of the day, my original result was re-published...I scored a B, and this was retained, while the resit was discarded.

In the same vein, there are some courses which are not, and can never be written during resit. One of such is the Architectural Design Studio. Failure to pass this course automatically earns one an extra year, 2 extra years or even more.

I've seen people who spent 2, 3 sometimes 4 years before graduating despite this resit option. This just goes to show you that it is not applicable in every situation.

Those who eventually come out with a first class degree literally earn it. These are straight A's students who maintain their academic performance from first year, through to the final year.

Others attain this height due to a superb and brillant execution of their final year projects, which in turn boosts their CGPAs.

In my own department, first-class is not beans. At the very most, one out of about 50 architectural students per set makes a first class. And their records do not show any history of failed courses.

Pray, do tell...what do you stake your statements on? I'm curious.

Can you all imagine where student 'resit for examination @ a stipulated fee'..what a shame! That was why they are failing job test badly... Again, giving excuses for failure 'unforeseen circumstances and ill health'. For UI, who send you? Guy, thank God you didn't study in UI..Tsunami go don carry you. Good move, NUC

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NeuroBoss(m): 7:05pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you for fake? It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten eye. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.
Afam, you're still not making sense
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by leyom234: 7:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

Nawaooo!!! You are asking what their business is when it is actually their constitutional responsibility to ensure that Universities are run the right way. Yes I support the idea they are campaigning for since neither WAEC nor NECO organise special exams aside the may/june and November/December arrangements.

The culpable institutions are the private ones since they actually make students pay extra amount. Imagine a student paying 15k to resit for each course he fails. Yes each cours. Ife he fails 3, thats 45k aside registration fee. Mind you, there will be preasure to pass such student after paying heavily to participate in summer exams.

Motion supported.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 7:08pm On Sep 21, 2012
Nosa-Henry:

You brought yourself out as a brainless maggot with zero IQ. My guess is that you are a product of one of these private universities where anything goes.

Care to elaborate more on 'these private universities where anything goes'? I took my time to go through all previous posts before adding my comment. You should do same!

What's with the scathing retort about private universities? Have you ever been enrolled in one before? I wonder when this thread shifted focus to private universities, even when some posters in federal universities attest to the fact that resit examinations are conducted in their institutions.

A resit remains a resit! Be it in a faculty/department/college of medicine/pharmacy/nursing. Fact is people re-write examinations in most institutions across the country. Quote me properly! I said 'most'.

What baffles me is that most people commenting here about private universities have no inkling as to what truly obtains in there. Who are you therefore to berate 'em?

So I'm a 'product' of a private university...if e too pain u, go and hug transformer. Bear in mind tho that I attended two federal universities before this...and left when I took a stance to not 'sort' my way through...or lift my skirt for one dirty old fowl.

Instead of spending 10 years in school for a 4 year course, I took by destiny into my hands and enrolled in a private university...does this make me any less of a graduate?

Please stick to the focal point of the thread and stop derailing...

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by deesnipes(f): 7:13pm On Sep 21, 2012
My question F☺я̩̥̊ nuc Ȋ̝̊̅§ where were D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ when it all started cos I don't think these unis would av startedit if it were initially forbidden.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by kedra(m): 7:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.
I wonder if some read their posts before bringing it online.This is a regulatory body for crying out load and yet u say what concerns it with what's going on in a school?I think u were sleeping wen u posted this.....mschewwww
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2012
Seen the Eagle in the house...

Osheshe abeg no mind these Private university haters...so many of them have been passed over at job interviews...

Many of them would jump at the chance to enroll at CU if they had a Time Machine grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2012
superdude007:

Can you all imagine where student 'resit for examination @ a stipulated fee'..what a shame! That was why they are failing job test badly... Again, giving excuses for failure 'unforeseen circumstances and ill health'. For UI, who send you? Guy, thank God you didn't study in UI..Tsunami go don carry you. Good move, NUC

Oga, the stipulated fee is for 2 reasons...

For starters, these resit examinations are conducted at the end of a session. Whatever tuition fee was paid for the session has expired. What about the lecturers who are going to conduct these lectures/examinations? Are they involved in charity work? Or their reward is in heaven?

The fee is used to compensate them, for the extra hours put in!

Secondly, this fee is to dissuade students from trooping en masse for resit. Shoe dey get grade. Who knows he/she cannot afford a resit for any reason will strive to not fail.

Ill-health is more than a legitimate reason for failing a course, or being absent from a paper. Most Nigerian lecturers are just cynical bastards. Is it until someone dies in an examination hall that they'll learn to be accomodating?

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 21, 2012
Outdated officers making fo olish laws.

Some courses/department are expected to take resit. . such as Pharmacy and Medicine.

This is a world wide phenomenon..

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Rescop: 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
Oboy thank God say dem wait make i finish my own re-sit.but i never see my result o
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
jackbauersballs: Seen the Eagle in the house...

Osheshe abeg no mind these Private university haters...so many of them have been passed over at job interviews...

Many of them would jump at the chance to enroll at CU if they had a Time Machine grin grin grin
grin
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva:

even the autonomy granted private universities are within the ambit of rules,and standards of the NUC,get that to your thick skull.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tlops(m): 7:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
The educational system is designed to encourage failure. Though I did not benefit from such re-sit schemes, I think such remedial programmes will reduce the cheating/bribery in our higher institutions.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Rescop: 7:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tank God say dem wait i finish my own re-sit. Nuc make una wait make my result come out o
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by timmy7(m): 7:48pm On Sep 21, 2012
brownlord:

I may be wrong, but no one truly understand where u heading
you are wrong! Speak for your self, I think his point is clear enough...
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Smuthx(m): 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
tiwasiaife: my sister let me tell u. Am a graduate of University of Nigeria too Geology Dept. There is nothing like re-sit exam we also do prerequisite courses if u fail geol 111 u wount do geol 211 n 213, if u fail 211 u wount try nearing geol 311 lecture hall until u pass the course u ve failed which means an extra 1yr 4u authomatically.
I am a super lion here in this same faulty. Studied Computer Science. Pharmacy dept do take re-sit exams in some coures as requirement to take a high level course. I have a friend that studied Pharmacy. If the person fails re-sit, the person will have an automatic extra year
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Gamuguma(m): 8:02pm On Sep 21, 2012
NUC are just making mockery of themself. If they cancel re-sit, sorting of courses nko? How will they deal with that? Rubbish move NUC are just making mockery of themself. If they cancel re-sit, sorting of courses nko? How will they deal with that? Rubbish move NUC are just making mockery of themself. If they cancel re-sit, sorting of courses nko? How will they deal with that? Rubbish move
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by lekside44(m): 8:03pm On Sep 21, 2012
please tell the private universities
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Raxxye(m): 8:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
D sage:

Did you really know the meaning of NUC?

@topic, I wonder why did they canceled it.

Bros, I hail o. Your grammar na die. Abeg which school you finish from make I go register my children for there?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Tmany(m): 8:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
In the first place it rubbish for such a policy to be allowed.
At least it the same degree they are awarded as that of federal and states universities who don't allow resit.
very stupid double standard.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Femsyn(m): 8:19pm On Sep 21, 2012
Now the bone of contention here is simple. why would a group of universities allow resit, when others don't? Especially when the graduates of these schools go on to compete in the same labour market - where grades are held in high esteem; I dont think this is fair enough. When i fail a course in a public university, i am expected to undergo additional stress/load in the next session, while another group of schools allow u to pay a token (which they shld be able to conveniently pay, since they can afford the school fees) for a resit absent of pressure or any additional load; just holidays "deprivation". There's imbalance in the educational system!!!
It's either all schools encourage resits or it's completely scrapped!!
NUC, way to go.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by duality(m): 8:21pm On Sep 21, 2012
i wish i had the opportunity to resit some courses during my undergraduate days. it was crazy writing a 3/4 unit control engineering course the same day with one silly carryover. I however felt cheated when i discovered that guys from other schools(private schools) could re-write the exam during the hols.

for me, whatever decision they take, they should make sure its same for all campuses because all these superiority contest don dey too much. in any case, i'm done with that level of education. therefore, i care less about this issue. na how to make money nahim de my mind. not any bloody campus issues.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Raxxye(m): 8:23pm On Sep 21, 2012
D sage:

Did you really know the meaning of NUC?

No, she didn‘t did it!

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Raxxye(m): 8:25pm On Sep 21, 2012
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Raxxye(m): 8:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
D sage:

@topic, I wonder why did they canceled it.

Me too
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by nas00(m): 8:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
NUC is right.

It is plain and logical. This ban on resit exams applies to ALL courses where grade point system is used, because a true CGPA (cumulative grade point average) does not take into account resit exams.

The ideal is: Fail or pass, ALL the scores of any student studying grade point system course is used in computing the student's CGPA.
The only exam a student is permitted to re-register for and write again at the next semester (or next available opportunity) are failed COMPULSORY courses, otherwise known as carry-overs.. And BOTH the score of the initially failed attempt and the eventually passed carry-over are used in computing the student's CGPA.

In essence, resit is ILLEGAL for grade point system courses.

On the other hand, resit exams are the norm in certain courses that do not utilize grade points beyond the preliminary year. E.g: Medicine & Surgery, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy
That is why you can NEVER hear someone graduating with a 1st class these courses. You can only pass, and qualify as a Medical/Vet Doctor or Pharmacist.. And for as long as you keep failing resit exams in any of these courses, you keep repeating the same year until you either pass or you are booted out of the system.

NUC has done very well on this.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by james1(m): 8:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
undecided they NUC should have directed their energy toward banning the daylight robbery of Nigerians in the name of post jamb by colleges.
What's the point of writing UTME and then post jamb?
These school authorities just wake up and misbehave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNIBEN - 2016/2017 Postgraduate Application Form Is Out / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab / Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.