Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,665 members, 7,889,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 02:02 AM

Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises (25627 Views)

Flood Caused By Heavy Rainfall In Calabar / Flood At Igando Today (pictures) / Flood At Ugbowo Lagos Road In Benin City Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by andyanders: 10:07am On Sep 29, 2012
Ninapha: I dont think the bridge is affected. I heard ogbaru area, main market banks, and asaba banks are affected but i wd be in dat are in few hours so i wd get better answers

Wishing you safe journey and do give us status report.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by SamMilla1(m): 10:47am On Sep 29, 2012
I packed a few things and crossed from ASABA to Onitsha yesterday. i saw it coming
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Youngzedd(m): 10:49am On Sep 29, 2012
Onitsha is in serious danger, the level of river niger in OSE market is growing rapidly, if this countinues in the next two weeks I tell you main market, fegge, Odakpu will be flooded.

Although some building has been affected in Creek road Fegge Onitsha.

I no fit run ooooh not to talk of parking my properties to the villa.

God help us..
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:06am On Sep 29, 2012
Development on flood plains are very risky. Onitsha is suppose to have flood plains for the over flow of River Nigerin high tides from time to time. Investment in further flooding defence mechanism necessary. Such River Onitsha Gate barrier.

Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by sayitout1: 11:17am On Sep 29, 2012
musiwa7: You should not try to stop the flood. I think the best approach is to allow the water to continue. that way people can move inward.. for safety. the cameroon dam is about to crack open.

Nigeria has the choice to help cameroon or allow the dam to crack open. I will say allow the dam to crack up and let the water flow. It sound crazy. but I think my idea will work.

In adamawa state, they have irrigation problem. By allowing the dam to crack open. Nigeria can use the water for irrigation.. the benue have reduce in width because cameroon dam the river.

But nigeria has to plan for this dam cracking by building water channel diversion system in adamawa. And now this water channel diversion system can now be converted to irrigation system..

And we can also dam this river on the nigeria side if the lagdo Dam in cameroon crack up. It is already 35 years old.

To manage the problem the solution is water channel diversion system in adamawa. But we need water breakers along the path because of large volume of water may damage the water channel diversion system

Your ideas might sound good but its theory.

People are aleady suffering from the effect of the rise in water level and you are suggesting such to a government dat signed and released fund for a N300b road contract in 2006 for the construction of east/west road in Niger-delta and nothing has been done till date.

The system has failed already.

Long before now, it has been all over the news that such (rise in water level) would happen; and the authorities involved made no plan and arrangement.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 29, 2012
Dude u re a liar I ve seen dis picture before hw can u say u snapped it yesterday.

WHISTLE BLOWER: This is the prestigious Main Market Onitsha. Took this picture yesterday afternoon. There was nothing like flood anywhere near main market. Maybe the op is talking about River Shoreline towards Kogi and Benue and some parts of Delta, no part of Anambra is affected whatsoever by the any flood. God Bless Anambra state- The Light of the Nation
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 29, 2012
Dude u re a liar I ve seen dis picture before hw can u say u snapped it yesterday. I am from nnewi am not b main market

WHISTLE BLOWER: This is the prestigious Main Market Onitsha. Took this picture yesterday afternoon. There was nothing like flood anywhere near main market. Maybe the op is talking about River Shoreline towards Kogi and Benue and some parts of Delta, no part of Anambra is affected whatsoever by the any flood. God Bless Anambra state- The Light of the Nation
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by kunyeo(m): 11:29am On Sep 29, 2012
it is either flooding or fire outbreak
at this time of the year in either Aba or Onitsha.Just wait ,the rest of the country would pay for it!
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Ucheosefoh(m): 11:35am On Sep 29, 2012
Pls some people do better read the title of the thread b4 asking to see the tall buildings at de Onitsha main market I was nt interested in taking pix of plazas or tall buildings rather I was interested in sending a message of the situation on ground. Pls if u want 2 see tall buildings in Onitsha kindly go to a thread titled the beauty of Onitsha
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by mallorca(m): 11:38am On Sep 29, 2012
Psylas: u want to c pple inside water buying n saling baah?
u dey mind am
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Ownfag(m): 12:08pm On Sep 29, 2012
God will intervene!
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by eustocrat: 12:26pm On Sep 29, 2012
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 29, 2012
What i saw while coming from lagos to enugu yestaday at Asaba-Onitsha axis ws very terrifyin and if notin is done,in few days to come onitsha and asaba will be submerged jst like kogi state.God help us in dis country.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by iykemanuel(m): 4:39pm On Sep 29, 2012
aguiyi:

get a life jor , there should be a shade or store line in a market no matter how un-organized it is

i am currently in onitsha, d issue of d flood is very much true. D water frm d river has already submerged a cold room, fishermens home along d bank has been overrun, just two or mor rainfall will cause d flood to cover d main tarred road to d market at waterside. Peter obi is absolutely useless. Take it or leave it
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by teeceexx: 5:36pm On Sep 29, 2012
The op made aπ error by saying that the pic is main mark. Dat pic is actually the entrance to main mrk directly opposite nwa-ngene at †ђξ bank of the niger, towards sokoto road. I just passed there. The water is yet to reach the main market but it is close.

The areas affected by the flood in Anambra are communities close to the niger or that have stream/s or drainage that empties to the niger. Cos as the niger swells, it pushes these streams and drainage backwards and they iŋ turn floods the communities. The situation is very serious as lots of places have been submerged and flooded.

Our govt is so irresponsible as this would have been averted or reduced. No plan was made towards τђis despite being aware that it might happen. I heard the Ladgo dam ĭŋ Cameron is old and weak and may break up any time.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by mevisbleek: 6:23pm On Sep 29, 2012
Ucheosefoh: I toke the pictures with my phone so dont expect it to be bright and clear

U need a Bold 5 or Galaxy S3
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by MOORCHMOORE(m): 8:09pm On Sep 29, 2012
why flood in Niger, what happens to the dredging of the river angry
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by asha80(m): 8:11pm On Sep 29, 2012
MOORCH MOORE: why flood in Niger, what happens to the dredging of the river angry

maybe the damage would have been much worse if the river was not dredged undecided
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by teeceexx: 8:41pm On Sep 29, 2012
Or that †ђξ river not properly dredged. Shoddy job
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by baslone: 10:12pm On Sep 29, 2012

Bloody lie!!!! I have seen this pix here on NL before!!!! shocked shocked

One ossagy posted this same pix September 19th

https://www.nairaland.com/1052291/police-discover-arms-cache-anambra/1#12240938

1 Like

Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2012
mevisbleek:

U need a Bold 5 or Galaxy S3
yes did u have any 4 me ?
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 29, 2012
Shey wen the movie 2012 was shot we were all laughing yeah?

Me, I don buy my own ticket for the spaceship o! grin
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by mobo2(f): 12:11am On Sep 30, 2012
Doubt this is Onitsha town or market
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by whitecat007: 12:39am On Sep 30, 2012
Life lesson 101 to you ibos is what goes round comes round. was it not just yesterday(think was on benue flood thread) that one ibo guy said "If its lagos now that is being swept away by the flood would be fine" and another ibo responded "I understand what you mean". Onitsha is not flooded yet, see cry. The same Lagos you are wishing all evil on will be your saving grace, for i know all the grandma in your villages who can't even walk will ask to be given back ride to the land of their enemies(SW). Shameless animal set of human beings.
Let all undisputed cry babies of Nairaland go and report this mild talk to Seun and let him ban me over this, i will register with a different Id immediately and now go after Seun like a raging bull.

1 Like

Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by CyberG: 6:11am On Sep 30, 2012
whitecat007: Life lesson 101 to you ibos is what goes round comes round. was it not just yesterday(think was on benue flood thread) that one ibo guy said "If its lagos now that is being swept away by the flood would be fine" and another ibo responded "I understand what you mean". Onitsha is not flooded yet, see cry. The same Lagos you are wishing all evil on will be your saving grace, for i know all the grandma in your villages who can't even walk will ask to be given back ride to the land of their enemies(SW). Shameless animal set of human beings.
Let all undisputed cry babies of Nairaland go and report this mild talk to Seun and let him ban me over this, i will register with a different Id immediately and now go after Seun like a raging bull.

LOL....na today? Go to the beginning of this topic and see iboz disparaging the poster saying he was lying. They said Onitsha is not affected and as pristine as a foreign planet. Now the truth is coming out. Today Obi was said to hav cancelled a trip to Mexico because of flooding displacing communities but empty boastful was of iboz would never let them anticipate or deal with reality. My condolence to the affected people and communities and hope help comes to them quickly and that no life be lost.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:52am On Sep 30, 2012
CyberG:

LOL....na today? Go to the beginning of this topic and see iboz disparaging the poster saying he was lying. They said Onitsha is not affected and as pristine as a foreign planet. Now the truth is coming out. Today Obi was said to hav cancelled a trip to Mexico because of flooding displacing communities but empty boastful was of iboz would never let them anticipate or deal with reality. My condolence to the affected people and communities and hope help comes to them quickly and that no life be lost.
must u guys turn every thread on political section to tribal war, cant u guys be reasonable 4 once must u tribal bigots always show ur foolishness on every thread about Igbos and Yorubas on NL
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:58am On Sep 30, 2012
whitecat007: Life lesson 101 to you ibos is what goes round comes round. was it not just yesterday(think was on benue flood thread) that one ibo guy said "If its lagos now that is being swept away by the flood would be fine" and another ibo responded "I understand what you mean". Onitsha is not flooded yet, see cry. The same Lagos you are wishing all evil on will be your saving grace, for i know all the grandma in your villages who can't even walk will ask to be given back ride to the land of their enemies(SW). Shameless animal set of human beings.
people are talking about de solutions 2 de flood problem and u are talking nonsense

1 Like

Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by vitality33: 11:41am On Sep 30, 2012
Poster, pls i cant see any market being flooded in ur pix. Wat u posted is river and ships inside it pls. der ar so many mkts in onitsha, so can u be specific. Which market is dt. Lets be real pls.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by redsun(m): 11:58am On Sep 30, 2012
Nigerian cities are at the mercies of tumultuous nature.They are not planned,not build and no defence.
Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by whitecat007: 1:21pm On Sep 30, 2012
slap your mother three times and tell her she is talking nonsense. Where were you when your ibo brothers were wishing evil on lagos?and till i made my comment on the third page, no Yoruba had made any comment. that should tell you that we are all about fairness, and you ibos will continue to dig your grave.
Ucheosefoh: people are talking about de solutions 2 de flood problem and u are talking nonsense

1 Like

Re: Flood At Onitsha Market As River Niger Rises by lawa18(m): 6:32pm On Sep 30, 2012
Nawa for this water o. Are we safe in this country.
God help us o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements / Nigerians In Russia / Lady Narrates How She Escaped An Accident When Her Taxify Driver Had A Seizure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.