Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,877 members, 7,895,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 06:15 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (202873 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by DuduNegro: 10:45am On Dec 11, 2012
nagoma:

Joseph Garba died a natural death. Did you read his book - " Diplomatic Soldering"?

yeah, so did walbe. Walbe died around June or July last year.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by nagoma(m): 10:46am On Dec 11, 2012
naptu2: I found out that "floating buka" used to be the Presidential Launch (when Nnamdi Azikiwe was president). I can't remember its former name.

Does ishilove pay tuition fee? She should have a diploma certificate for this 3 months intensive course , if she is good enough to pass her exams.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by DuduNegro: 10:48am On Dec 11, 2012
naptu2: I found out that "floating buka" used to be the Presidential Launch (when Nnamdi Azikiwe was president). I can't remember its former name.

...you gotta be kidding me! really?

after faze 2 and paradiso died down, floating buka became the hangout for me.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:51am On Dec 11, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

wooo! shocked

...you are not learning from naptu's online class. you need a differen kind of history class.

naptu, will you please take this girl under your sheets...oops, lipsrsealed, i mean, ...under your wings. cool
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I will kill you!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:53am On Dec 11, 2012
nagoma:

Does ishilove pay tuition fee? She should have a diploma certificate for this 3 months intensive course , if she is good enough to pass her exams.
Dudu_Negro:

...you gotta be kidding me! really?

after faze 2 and paradiso died down, floating buka became the hangout for me.
You old people berra respect yourselves! angry
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by DuduNegro: 11:07am On Dec 11, 2012
Ishilove:

....lol, in appreciation for your support and company to keep the gentleman in high spirit, the association of "lakuegbe"patients of nigeria will send you a bouquet of roses.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 11, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

....lol, in appreciation for your support and company to keep the gentleman in high spirit, the association of "lakuegbe"patients of nigeria will send you a bouquet of roses.

Kabiyesi, why are you confusing the poor girl even more? She's not old enough to know what that means grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by DuduNegro: 11:31am On Dec 11, 2012
naijababe:

Kabiyesi, why are you confusing the poor girl even more? She's not old enough to know what that means grin

rotflmao...
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by nduchucks: 11:34am On Dec 11, 2012
he. Old coots.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by DuduNegro: 11:37am On Dec 11, 2012
ndu_chucks: he. Old coots.

oh, welcome to the secretary of "asopa" guilds of arewa. lol
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 11, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

oh, welcome to the secretary of "asopa" guilds of arewa. lol

This one na knock-out for Mudu-suku grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by nagoma(m): 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ishilove:

Yes I am too old for those kind of jokes, I really mean tuition fee - Naira and kobo. Naptu has patiently taken you through history lessons. Do u know that you have asked him questions about 30 times and he explained? He is a patient teacher. I have also learnt from him. But I have not been as dedicated or as demanding as you.it's only fair that you pay for his time.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by nduchucks: 1:18pm On Dec 11, 2012
Naptu, thanks for this informative thread.

Would Negro or naijababe please explain what 'asopa' means?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2012
ndu_chucks: Naptu, thanks for this informative thread.

Sorry o Mudu-suku, I wouldn't want to denigrate this hallowed thread
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:55pm On Dec 11, 2012
ndu_chucks: he. Old coots.
No, I prefer 'old cargo'.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:58pm On Dec 11, 2012
nagoma:

Yes I am too old for those kind of jokes, I really mean tuition fee - Naira and kobo. Naptu has patiently taken you through history lessons. Do u know that you have asked him questions about 30 times and he explained? He is a patient teacher. I have also learnt from him. But I have not been as dedicated or as demanding as you.it's only fair that you pay for his time.
Hmmmm...you just explained your post like you were explaining to a dull ten year old child. I don't know whether to be amused or royally pissed off. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:15pm On Dec 11, 2012
At first I only wanted to post the picture, but I finally decided that the story was important, so I had to tell it.

The first version of the story that I heard (when I was a tiny tot) was that Sir Ademola, Reverend Ransome-Kuti and Mrs Ransome-Kuti were in a love triangle. Oba Ademola wanted to use his position to victimise Reverend Kuti. Mrs Kuti led the women of the town on a protest march to the palace. They were nude. Sir Ademola consequently fled the palace and went into exile.

However, another version of the story is that the women protested because of the war time rationing of food, which the Alake imposed on behalf of the british.

[size=14pt]Oba (Sir) Ladapo Samuel Ademola II (1872-1964) Alake of Egba.[/size]

Nigerian traditional ruler. He was born on September 20 1872 to Alake Ademola I and his wife Hannah Adeyombo Ademola, in Afin Ake in Abeokuta. After education at Igbore and Ikerelun Schools and later at St Paul’s, Breadfruit Street, Lagos, he took to business. He traded for sometime, returning to trading after learning printing as an apprentice to R.B Blaize. While living in Lagos he became well known among the Egbas. At the age of 21 he started taking part in the politics of Abeokuta, which at that time (1893) had its independence guaranteed for a while by Britain in a treaty, being governed by an “Egba United Government”.

A crisis over the succession to the position of Basorun in 1897 was resolved with the help of young Prince Ademola and the Lagos Government representative, Mr W. Allen. A few years later the Prince helped secure the traditional authorities permission for the new railway from Lagos to pass through Abeokuta. In 1904, Prince Ademola was one of a party that accompanied the reigning Alake, Gbadebo, on his visit to Britain at the invitation of the Colonial Secretary. The Prince's stay in Britain had a great impact on his government when he became Oba. Before then he had considerable local opposition due to jealousy and for some time he stayed in his village, where he was a successful farmer.

Following the death of Oba Gbadebo on 28th May 1920, Prince Samuel Ademola was chosen as the new Alake by the Egba Council and he was crowned on 27th September 1920, at a spectacular ceremony attended by the British governor and a crowd of 10,000. Although annexed to Nigeria in 1914, Abeokuta retained much of its earlier system, traditional but altered by the early impact of Christianity and Western education. Oba Ademola is recalled as having fitted well the somewhat unusual requirements of the natural ruler of the Egbas, who in 1930 celebrated under him the centenary of Abeokuta. Educated men were appointed to traditional positions by the Oba and he favoured more Western education, allowing his own son, Adetokunboh (born in 1906) to go to England to complete education and providing help for others' schooling.

In 1935 he was awarded the CBE. In 1937 he attended, in his private capacity, the coronation of King George VI in England. He was well favoured by the British government. But his progressive government in Egbaland came eventually to seem not progressive enough to many of his people, for he did remain attached to tradition. In 1948 a riot against him by market women led by Mrs. Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, wife of Reverend Josiah Ransome-Kuti, who had been a friend of the Alake, forced him to retire from Abeokuta for two years.

After this episode he was welcomed back and thereafter he ruled with widee support and became the senior in order of precedence in the Western House of Chiefs. He died towards the end of 1962. His children by his marriage in 1904 to Tejumade Assumpcao (Alakija), a sister of the famous Adeyemo and Olayinka Alakija, include notably Sir Adetokunboh Ademola, the first Nigerian Chief Justice of Nigeria.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by nagoma(m): 3:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ishilove:
Hmmmm...you just explained your post like you were explaining to a dull ten year old child. I don't know whether to be amused or royally pissed off. undecided

Must be the impression you created. Your grasp of facts.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:28pm On Dec 11, 2012
From Wikipedia

Dr. Akinniyi Savage - Professor of history, DeVry University, California

Born in Abeokuta on September 20, 1872, Ladapo Samuel Ademola was the first Yoruba Oba to receive any sort of lengthy political apprenticeship prior to succession to the throne. [2] On the death of his father, Alake Ademola 1, in 1877, [3] Prince Ladapo was raised in Lagos by his aunt, Mrs. Oladunjaye Adefolu [4]. His Lagos connections, particularly Balogun (formerly, an Ogboni title for an army general) Majekodunmi, a friend of his guardian; and Balogun Sogeinbo, an uncle; were to serve him in good stead, and provide insight into Egba politics. The Ogbonis are a secret society among the Yoruba. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, Ladapo served for two years as an apprentice printer. He then started the Lagos Weekly Record in 1890, as an assistant to John Payne Jackson, a prominent Lagos politician. While on the staff of the Lagos Weekly Record, Ladapo met such colorful personalities as G. W. Johnson, the leading light of the Egba United Board of Management, (1865-1874, an erstwhile local government organization in Abeokuta), and R. B. Blaize, the famed 'wealthiest man in Lagos. 'Ladapo's gregarious nature, and boundless energy, enabled him to be successful in business. During this period, he watched the interests of Abeokuta from afar, and acquired the political and diplomatic experience and savvy that he would later demonstrate.

In 1897, Ladapo made his first attempt at political involvement in Abeokuta affairs. In that year he organized a meeting of Egba chiefs to receive Governor Henry McCallum. [5] This event led to better understanding and more cordial relations between the Egba government and the British colonial authorities. By the early years of the twentieth century, Prince Ladapo had emerged as an unofficial Ambassador of the Egba, and aide to Alake Gbadebo I.

Ladapo's first real in-road into Egba politics was his work during 1898 in persuading Governor McCallum in Lagos to revive the title of Oshile of Oke-Ona, so that that section of Abeokuta would once again have its own Oba, then uniting the four sections to make them the basis of a united government, the Egba United Government (1898-1914). [6] In this way, at an early stage in his political career, Ladapo demonstrated an ability to work with the educated elite. Ladapo very capably straddled the two elites in Abeokuta, in that he was a literate member of the royal family. Hence, his sympathies could go either way. In 1899, the prince was again instrumental in the negotiations between Egba chiefs and the Lagos Government, for the construction of a railway pass into Yorubaland through Egba territory. [7] By elucidating the virtues of such a move to the Egba chiefs, the threatened use of force by the Lagos Government on this issue became unnecessary. The chiefs were afraid that the railway would facilitate the emigration of Abeokuta's youth.[8] With the railway, however, came further progress and development.

Prince Ladapo's dexterity in handling difficult situations showed itself once more in the aftermath of the Adubi Riots incident of 1918. This incident was the culmination of the abrogation of Abeokuta's independence in 1918, and the introduction of direct taxation and forced unpaid labor in Abeokuta. Imperial troops were brought in and were still there when Prince Ladapo became Alake Ademola II in 1920, upon elevation to the Obaship of Egbaland. He immediately pressed for the removal of the troops, sufficient in the belief that they would never again be needed in Abeokuta as long as he was Oba. [9] They were not. The new Alake did not want the intervention of troops between himself and his people. His word that there would be no more riots, and his prior good relations with the British administration, were sufficient to secure the removal of the troops. [10]

At the age of forty-eight, Ademola II was initiated into office by Governor Hugh Clifford, amidst scenes of enthusiasm and splendor unprecedented in Egbaland. [11] He was the first of the truly powerful Alakes of the modern era. Ademola II lived a spartan, frugal existence. He abstained from ingesting both cigarettes and alcohol. He was also a tireless worker. A typical day for him started at five in the morning, and ended at night, with short breaks in the morning for devotional exercises in his private chapel. As a Christian, he was in good standing with the new western-educated elite, while his relationship with members of the traditional elite was not adversely affected. Respite took the form of evening relaxation for perhaps an hour in the summer garden, spent in either peaceful meditation or easy study of his gold fish. He possessed a tireless and active mind, exhibited boundless energy, and was an impartial arbiter. [12] On the negative side, he was accused of being unable to make friends easily. This accusation rested on the colorable fact that many of his political supporters and king-makers later became openly hostile to him. The Alake's response to this charge was that while he did not intend to make enemies, he resented sycophantic friends who attempted to unduly dominate his policies. [13] This was a bold stance. He was also accused of being domineering, relentless, and ruthless. Such is the high profile liability of assuming the appurtenances of responsibility!

Ademola II was a well-traveled man. Always an admirer of Great Britain, he visited England in 1904 as a member of the suite of Alake Gbadebo I, his predecessor. [14] He visited England again in 1936 on the occasion of the coronation of King George VI. He maintained correspondence with his English friends the Duke of Windsor and the Duke of Kent. Perhaps because of experiences garnered in his travels abroad, as well as his early preparation for office, he was described in 1939 as being 'without doubt the ablest of the Yoruba rulers.'[15]

Upon confirmation as the Alake, the British made Ademola II the Sole Native Authority for Abeokuta. This was in keeping with their indirect rule notion of identifying a prominent local chief and ruling through him.[16] The Alake, however, chose to rule with a council made up of sectional Obas and general chiefs. It was to be known as the Egba National Council (1926-1939). The Egba National Council was the first attempt of Ademola II, as the Alake, to reorganize Abeokuta's political structure.

The Abeokuta war effort during the Second World War owed a great deal to the encouragement and good work in government performed by the Alake. Perhaps in recognition of the War effort of the Egba, the Alake (already a CBE) was made a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (CMG) by King George VI of England.[17]

The interaction between the Alake and the new educated elite created the dynamic of political action in Abeokuta from 1939 to 1952. On 29 July 1948, however, Ademola II decided to go on voluntary exile so as to avoid bloodshed which those in opposition to him threatened.[18] In a message to the Resident, the Alake bemoaned his fate. Conditions had arisen which obliterated from his people's memory his previous selfless services for and on their behalf. After fifty years of service to the city-state, twenty-eight of which were in the capacity of the Sole Native Authority for Egbaland, he could not understand why so fierce an opposition should arise so late in his reign.

Thus in the 119th year of its existence as a town, Abeokuta lay a precedent for itself. For the first time in their history the Egba were faced with a case of abdication. In July 1950 the question of the ex-Alake's return to Abeokuta was introduced in the Egba Central Council (1939-1952). [19] A final and decisive resolution allowing the Alake to return was passed on November 30, 1950, by a vote of twenty-nine to nineteen with some abstentions.[20] So, after twenty-nine months in exile and twenty-four months as a private citizen, the ex-Alake once more became Oba Alaiyeluwa Ademola II, CMG. He returned to Abeokuta on December 3, 1950.

In conclusion, we must note that Alake Ademola's political skills were amply demonstrated by his prominent role during the Conferences of the Chiefs of the Western Provinces; by his handling of the chieftaincy disputes of the early 1940s; and by his guidance of the Abeokuta war effort during the Second World War. The Local Government Law of 1952 ushered in the Nationalist period in Nigerian history. It signaled the gradual shift in emphasis of some of the new educated elite from parochial to national politics. Ladapo Samuel Ademola reigned as Alake of Abeokuta throughout this period, however, until his death on December 27, 1962

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:King_of_Abeokuta

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2012
nagoma:

Must be the impression you created. Your grasp of facts.
Hahahaha, now I'm amused. Don't be fooled by charades, nagoma. cheesy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:46pm On Dec 11, 2012
ndu_chucks: Naptu, thanks for this informative thread.

You are welcome sir.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 4:48pm On Dec 11, 2012
naptu2:

Well, it depends on whether you want to classify them as mountains or as hills. There are quite a few in the Ondo area, eg Idanre Hills.

Thanks for the info naptu2
may you live till you are a hundred and twenty one and a half years old
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2012
esere826:

Thanks for the info naptu2
may you live till you are a hundred and twenty one and a half years old

grin grin

Very specific.

Thank you.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 6:01pm On Dec 11, 2012
naptu2:

grin grin

Very specific.

Thank you.

Excellent,
Now that we are agreed, the clock starts ticking

=> 121.5 years old (future age) - present age (gathered from historical comments made by Naptu2 in NL)
= shei!! fear catch me to tok
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 6:31pm On Dec 11, 2012
esere826:

Excellent,
Now that we are agreed, the clock starts ticking

=> 121.5 years old (future age) - present age (gathered from historical comments made by Naptu2 in NL)
= shei!! fear catch me to tok
This thread is on the verge of being derailed. Esere, your last warning... angry

tongue
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2012
So this is the face of the Oba that Mrs Kuti showed pepper?! The general consensus is that the protest was about taxes on women
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by moredendisc: 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

...bodyguard to Gowon. He is either talking about Gowon's ADC, William Walbe or about the head of Guards under Gowon, Joseph Garba.

Whilst wondering who the old fogey, is this with the blue polo tshirt on, in these pictures, I didn't at first, realise it was the Gen. until a close up. Wow. Hmm. Aagba ti de.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
naijababe: So this is the face of the Oba that Mrs Kuti showed pepper?! The general consensus is that the protest was about taxes on women

Mrs Kuti also fought against separate taxes for women, but the core reason for the protest was british food trade regulations.

Austerity measures were in place in the period just after the Second World War. Even in Britain essential commodities were being rationed (my mum told me that there were regulations detailing what you could buy and at what quantity). The market women did not like these restrictions (because of the policy of indirect rule, it was the duty of the Alake to enforce the regulations).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 12, 2012
naptu2: Beyonce Knowles & Nduka Obaigbena in Lagos

HE JUST DEY LOOK HER BR..EAST
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 13, 2012
cheesy

Enjoyed myself and learned new things going through this thread.

Great job Naptu (and others) ....
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by nagoma(m): 10:05pm On Dec 13, 2012
Ishilove:
Hahahaha, now I'm amused. Don't be fooled by charades, nagoma. cheesy

I guess right. You would be smarter kiss
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:33pm On Dec 13, 2012
nagoma:

I guess right. You would be smarter kiss
A flower does not call itself a flower. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.