Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,837 members, 7,872,809 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:36 PM

Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? (10756 Views)

Dangote Group Sponsors Nigerians To India To Understudy Refinery Operations / Sanusi: It's Illegal To Collect Dollar For Services Rendered In Nigeria / Why Is It Difficult For Debtors To Pay Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by acidtalk: 8:03pm On Oct 14, 2012
Billyonaire: Cos service providers seem to hyper-inflate the real costs of services.

I doubt if you will ever be able to reason properly.

@Poster, start taking your business like an organization and stop running it like an inferior wanna be starter.

Draw up a contractual agreement with every client and always insist on 70% off front payment before starting any job.

Also if you find a client who is always pricing and begging to reduce your price please RUN as fast as you can, the biggest and best clients are always the highest paid and less stressful ones.

Also the nature (status and location) of your clients really matter a lot.

I will prefer giving you more insights and advice on this thread. Let's meet there.

https://www.nairaland.com/987784/entrepreneurs-manual
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by yeye4live(m): 8:04pm On Oct 14, 2012
Our leaders don't pay y wil we pay, I wish dier s a service of women 4all na dat 1go beta pass 4me,atleast man go dey enjoy free women witout pay
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by chucky234(m): 8:09pm On Oct 14, 2012
holly-pagan:
Every nigerian want to go to heaven like jesus but no body wants to die,exept ppl looking for 77 virgins
Because the criteria for making heaven is stiffer than killing to get 77 virgins in heaven.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Ademab(m): 8:10pm On Oct 14, 2012
imonkleans: Just wondering where its very difficult for Nigerians to value and pay for services. I run a cleaning service company in lagos and can't believe what people say to me when its time to pay for services rendered
 think its a wrong assumption to generalise this phenomenon to all genre however mwhat is actually obtained in nigeria is NIGERIANS PAY FOR SERVICES NOT RENDERED. Phcn, telecommunications, tax (without value), bad leadership being run on taxes and natural resources. The list is endless
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by SisiKill1: 8:14pm On Oct 14, 2012
What's even worse than not paying is their tendency to undermine the work you've done.

Ahn ahn...is it not just this small designing you did on the program? And we even supplied the pictures oh....It's not like you had to draw the couple now.

What? 150 for what? Is it more than this 10 fruit center pieces? it's not like you had the fruits shipped in now. Is it not just to put one grape here and strawberry there, me too I can do that oh.

Can't count how many times I have had to bite my tongue to keep from saying....if it was that easy why don't you go effing do it yourself?

Oh! Oh! The best part is when right in the middle of practically rubbishing you work, they add ten more items they want you to do. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by chucky234(m): 8:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
Billyonaire: Cos service providers seem to hyper-inflate the real costs of services.
Worst reply ever
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 14, 2012
Most Nigerian like awoof,they see anything done without payment as their fringe benefit. Try to make the business a separate entity,as in make use of someone to collect payment,and don't be over too friendly with them. Make sure u are strict with the company's policy in terms of payment,and don't release anything without payment,but know that its not peculia to ur business alone.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by redcliff: 8:28pm On Oct 14, 2012
[size=20pt]yes i am a living testimony to free anything...personally i do not think service providers are worth being paid for their services.. e.g look at mtn, ripping people off all in the name of internet connection..men, as i speak, i am using MTN's internet service to browse for free..and its totally fast.. so why go for the paid version?[/size]
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by ruderake(m): 8:49pm On Oct 14, 2012
re-strategize your service, i advise you collect your fee upfront or no deal.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 14, 2012
lacicrips:

Really? That's a very lazy answer.
Its not lazy my friend. Its about the best answer here, most service providers almost always hyper-inflate costs of services in a bid to maximize profit, it becomes a thorn in the flesh and people decide to play smart too.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by legalwealth(m): 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2012
imonkleans: Just wondering where its very difficult for Nigerians to value and pay for services. I run a cleaning service company in lagos and can't believe what people say to me when its time to pay for services rendered

LMAO...Na today you know this?
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by lastpage: 9:09pm On Oct 14, 2012
I think there is a Notice l often see that reads like "Pay before Service"?

That sounds like a good idea for Service business like "Dry Cleaning". wink wink

Otherwise, demand payment before releasing the "cleaned clothes"!

it is better to have 10-paying customers, than 50 non-paying customers!

Some even have the money (especially companies) but would just sit on your payment (one stewpid "Oga" officer in a Government Ministry behaves like this) like you are at their mercy!

It is nothing but sheer wickedness!

Lastpage!
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by rman: 9:24pm On Oct 14, 2012
redcliff: [size=20pt]yes i am a living testimony to free anything...personally i do not think service providers are worth being paid for their services.. e.g look at mtn, ripping people off all in the name of internet connection..men, as i speak, i am using MTN's internet service to browse for free..and its totally fast.. so why go for the paid version?[/size]

Bloody hypocrite!
The one paid for is poor but immediately you found a way to cheat, it suddenly became fast. You are a typical example of the '' Nigerians '' the OP is refering to
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by DonaldGenes(m): 9:25pm On Oct 14, 2012
holly-pagan:
Every nigerian want to go to heaven like jesus but no body wants to die,exept ppl looking for 77 virgins
hahahahahhaahhahahhaha
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by banom(m): 9:33pm On Oct 14, 2012
@ poster,

Osho free dey sweet na...
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by PastorOla1: 9:33pm On Oct 14, 2012
We are cheats by nature.we love things and use people instead of loving people and use things.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by gbengaijot(m): 9:59pm On Oct 14, 2012
In other to help a fellow entrepreneur, here's my advice:

1. DO not be overfriendly with your customer. If they want to become too friendly, draw a line. If you become over familiar...they'll take advantage of it.

2. Don't just tell them the price of your service and expect them to pay. Print out a contract, invoice, or any document stating what you are going to do for them and how much it cost, then ensure you give out reciepts for every payment made to you. Most customer will take you serious and know that you are not a flash in the pan.

3. If you have a chronic debtor as a customer, dump them. Trust me, there are loads of people that will buy your service and not bat an eye lid at the cost.

4. If most of your customers don't pay up, then you need to change you own mindset and start targetting high end customers only.

Tell me, if you are targeting high net worth individuals...and you have 10 clients that pay you N200,000 every month to clean their apartment, that is N2 million Naira for doing easy simple work.

ANd just in case anyone is reading this post and think 200k is too much to charge for cleaning a premises per month, then it shows their limitation and their low thinking mindset.

That is why some people will make 1 billion every year and some people make 1 million. The difference is in the mindset.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by wildchild1: 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2012
redcliff: [size=20pt]yes i am a living testimony to free anything...personally i do not think service providers are worth being paid for their services.. e.g look at mtn, ripping people off all in the name of internet connection..men, as i speak, i am using MTN's internet service to browse for free..and its totally fast.. so why go for the paid version?[/size]
. Haaaa,baba feel me in with dat free mtn browsing ooo,mtn don too chop our money.. Holla me on 07031334962
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by fankasibe: 10:31pm On Oct 14, 2012
I advice u make ur client swear by JUJÙ (charm) if u aren't paid....NAIJA fear jujù pass God.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Jarus(m): 10:47pm On Oct 14, 2012
Irunmu l'owo.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by safarigirl(f): 10:47pm On Oct 14, 2012
holly-pagan:
How does this even remotely answer OP's question?

A topic. Because most Nigerians have realised there are tons of sentimental mugus in the country.

Some expect you to give em a discount because you're from their tribe, state, LG, village, attended the same school, live on the same street/compound, attend the same church....it goes on

Then there are those who take advantage of gender, mostly men, who fail to take women in business seriously, hence they think they can manipulate and outsmart you....

Mostly though, Nigerians just tend to be like that, it's something they meet, and are honestly not interested in changing, the rush gotten from defrauding, cheating people, can be addictive, might not be good, but don't you just feel fulfilled when you manage to buy something with an original price of N1,000 for N300? After out bargaining the seller? Or when you put something originally worth N300 for N1,000? It's a Nigerian thing.

You need to get yourself a good lawyer, sign M0Us with clients, have a down payment before you touch anything, ranging from 50-80%, if your desires are not met and if the client gives you a hard time, there is no need to continue with the deal, sue anyone that thinks HE (cos it's mostly he's that try to swindle people) can take you for a ride .
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Toktee(m): 10:49pm On Oct 14, 2012
No b small thng
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by mikewills(m): 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2012
It's the same phenomenon everywhere in the world. The only reason why it's a bit reduced in the developed countries is due to sound legal framework...which is what we lack in 9ja...if you like draw up a million MOUs. The courts are ineffective and the cumulative sum you've paid your lawyer, due to incessant adjournments, will end up being more than the money you planned to recover.
The best option in our clime is "PAY BEFORE SERVICE"
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Webmantn(m): 11:41pm On Oct 14, 2012
I think you should have a strong memorandu of understanding(MOU),and if is a serious client he should be ready to pay an upfront payment of 60% before anything is done you can view our blog http://deltamotivation2000..com and here is our project we just completed http://wilvatopsecurity.com we can also be reach on:08093357656
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by hollypagan: 11:43pm On Oct 14, 2012
[quote author=safarigirl]How does this even remotely answer OP's question?

A topic. Because most Nigerians have realised there are tons of sentimental mugus in the country.

Some expect you to give em a discount because you're from their tribe, state, LG, village, attended the same school, live on the same street/compound, attend the same church....it goes on

Then there are those who take advantage of gender, mostly men, who fail to take women in business seriously, hence they think they can manipulate and outsmart you....

Mostly though, Nigerians just tend to be like that, it's something they meet, and are honestly not interested in changing, the rush gotten from defrauding, cheating people, can be addictive, might not be good, but don't you just feel fulfilled when you manage to buy something with an original price of N1,000 for N300? After out bargaining the seller? Or when you put something originally worth N300 for N1,000? It's a Nigerian thing.

.[/quote, the question has been answered through figures of speech if your one of the virgins dnt get me wrong, u have to understand that heaven is not free, you have to go through the straight road to get there , those looking for 77 virgins believed, for them to get there or paid their god they have sheld innocent blood which is easy for them
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by purplekayc(m): 11:47pm On Oct 14, 2012
Maryky: Most Nigerians love free things.

Say it weellah it called "AWOOOOOOOOF"!!!
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by damola1: 12:00am On Oct 15, 2012
drop your email, I will send you a free 2page MOU, and also letter to help demand payment with discount for them.
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 15, 2012
This is not a general thing, it's some Nigerians, Your customers, not all Nigerians.

Make them pay in advance. I pay my cleaner in advance. That's the way it should be actually.

View all Nigerian blog posts as soon as they are posted www.nigeriabloglist.com
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by legalwealth(m): 12:04am On Oct 15, 2012
gbengaijot: In other to help a fellow entrepreneur, here's my advice:

1. DO not be overfriendly with your customer. If they want to become too friendly, draw a line. If you become over familiar...they'll take advantage of it.

2. Don't just tell them the price of your service and expect them to pay. Print out a contract, invoice, or any document stating what you are going to do for them and how much it cost, then ensure you give out reciepts for every payment made to you. Most customer will take you serious and know that you are not a flash in the pan.

3. If you have a chronic debtor as a customer, dump them. Trust me, there are loads of people that will buy your service and not bat an eye lid at the cost.

4. If most of your customers don't pay up, then you need to change you own mindset and start targetting high end customers only.

Tell me, if you are targeting high net worth individuals...and you have 10 clients that pay you N200,000 every month to clean their apartment, that is N2 million Naira for doing easy simple work.

ANd just in case anyone is reading this post and think 200k is too much to charge for cleaning a premises per month, then it shows their limitation and their low thinking mindset.

That is why some people will make 1 billion every year and some people make 1 million. The difference is in the mindset.

Great...
Re: Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? by legalwealth(m): 12:05am On Oct 15, 2012

Awoof no sweet pass make you pay no matter what.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Program on Accounting Packages / 14 Aba Made Products You Can Order In Large Quantity / Principle And Machine For Making Commercial Yogurt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.