Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,584 members, 7,975,292 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 09:04 PM

The "First Day" Of The Week ?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The "First Day" Of The Week ?? (1433 Views)

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. / Which Light Did God Create On The First Day? / I Am Very Happy To See This Great Day Of My Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 5:11pm On Oct 18, 2012
Majority of Christians claim that the first day of the week is now the Holiest day of worship because of several verses that spoke about the Apostles meeting on this day. Even as there are other verses that shows they also gardered other days, the First Day seem to be very specific by Some Christians because they claim it commemorates the Resurraction of Christ.

But Where and how did the Bible says that the first day of the week commemorates the resurrection of Christ? Isn't this a tradition of men that contradicts the Law? Matthew 15:1-9.

I believe the Bible gave told us that Baptism commemorates the burial and resurrection of Jesus. As seen in Romans 6:3-5.

Romans 6:3-5(NIV)3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

I will like to see biblical verses when discussing this topic. No insult please, thank you.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by Joagbaje(m): 3:53am On Oct 21, 2012
Hi pappi

Sunday didn't replace the sabbath. But the early church worship on Sundays . There's no longer any special holy day. Either Sunday or Saturday. Christ is our sabbath. He is the fulfillment of the sabbath principle .

Colossians 2:16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
Joagbaje:
Hi pappi

Sunday didn't replace the sabbath. But the early church worship on Sundays . There's no longer any special holy day. Either Sunday or Saturday. Christ is our sabbath. He is the fulfillment of the sabbath principle .

Colossians 2:16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

I dey bros....Joa, thank. But why then did Jesus made this comments? This is surpossed to be a future event no? My point is that, even if the Early church did worshiped on sundays
That didn't in no way annul the "Sabbath". Because Christ talk about it in reference to the future.

"Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath" (Matthew 24:20)?
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by Joagbaje(m): 12:38pm On Oct 22, 2012
The Jews didn't recognize Jesus as messiah , they still live in the old testament . During the tribulation full activity would have been restored in Jerusalem. The Antichrist will build them a new temple, while all the animal sacrifice and other temple activities will resume. On sabbath days they are not suppose to truck beyond 1 mile . if not it will be termed as "Work" so when the persecution of the Jews starts. Some will not be able to flee if it happens to be on sabbath day because they should travel on a sabbath. That one mile limit is called sabbath day journey.

Acts 1:12
Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 2:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
Joagbaje: The Jews didn't recognize Jesus as messiah , they still live in the old testament . During the tribulation full activity would have been restored in Jerusalem. The Antichrist will build them a new temple, while all the animal sacrifice and other temple activities will resume. On sabbath days they are not suppose to truck beyond 1 mile . if not it will be termed as "Work" so when the persecution of the Jews starts. Some will not be able to flee if it happens to be on sabbath day because they should travel on a sabbath. That one mile limit is called sabbath day journey.

Acts 1:12
Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

When the Antichrist begins his final aggression against God’s people.
I understand that those seeking to escape should also pray that they will not have to flee on the Sabbath.
I think Jesus’ point was that no hindrance/obstacle could be considered small.

Two questions for you sir,
Do you mean this verse was refered to the ancient Israel that rejected Christ only? And also what do you think His audience was like when He was talking?

Was Jesus also telling us ahead of time that the Abomination of Desolation would happen on a future sabbath day?
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 3:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
I think we should becareful the way we uses certain verse to silent the Sabbath.
We must remember that when Israel messed with the Sabbath God punished them in Ezekiel 20:11-12.
The book of Hebrew 4: 9-11 says the Sabbath remains for the people of God. Jesus did keep the Sabbath, afterall it was his own day for he is Lord of the Sabbath.

Acording to Christ’s own words in Matthew 5:17-19 and in some other verses in the bible, teaching people to disobey God and ignore any one of His 10 commandments can cost one eternity.
And alot of people take the risk because they don’t want to lose their social status or stand of academic or they want to gain the things of the world. shocked
If not these excuses, what can be so more clear than God commanding anyone who claim to love him to keep His commandments, all of them? i dey ask question ooo undecided

Matthew 5:17-19
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I wonder what commandment He is talking about
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by FMK(m): 3:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
it does not matter at what time or day you want to worship sunday or sabath moon day or mercury day just the bible says that the seven day that god rest and he set it holy, sunday the first day was jesus resurection .
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by Joagbaje(m): 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2012
plappville:
Two questions for you sir,
Do you mean this verse was refered to the ancient Israel that rejected Christ only?

Yes precisely

And also what do you think His audience was like when He was talking?

He was talking to Jews ,to whom he was sent. And he was answering a Jewish question .

Was Jesus also telling us ahead of time that the Abomination of Desolation would happen on a future sabbath day?

Not exactly, there's probability.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by Joagbaje(m): 5:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
plappville: I think we should becareful the way we uses certain verse to silent the Sabbath.
We must remember that when Israel messed with the Sabbath God punished them in Ezekiel 20:11-12.
The book of Hebrew 4: 9-11 says the Sabbath remains for the people of God. Jesus did keep the Sabbath, afterall it was his own day for he is Lord of the Sabbath.

The sabbath day was a shadow of christ. The true sabbath is in Jesus . It is not a day but a place . A place of rest in christ.

to Christ’s own words in Matthew 5:17-19 and in some other verses in the bible, teaching people to disobey God and ignore any one of His 10 commandments can cost one eternity.

Jesus didn't observe the sabbath. The sabbath was a shadow of christ. He ended it. He worked on sabbath days . His disciples harvested on sabbath day.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.[/quote]

To fulfill it . He did that he is the fulfillment. Sabbath means rest . Jesus is the lord of sa bath , and he had come to give rest.

[color=#990000]Matthew 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 8:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
Joagbaje:

Yes precisely

He was talking to Jews ,to whom he was sent. And he was answering a Jewish question .

Yes precisely

He was talking to Jews ,to whom he was sent. And he was answering a Jewish question

I am not agree with you that Jesus was talking to the ancient Israel that rejected Him. Reading the chapter from verse 1.
You will understand that He was talking with His disciples. (Matthew 24:1-20)

He simply advises them for incidental reasons, that they should pray that the need to flee will nt arise on the Sabbath or in winter.
Why it would not be prudent to flee in winter and Sabbath is so obvious. Because this engage those fleeing at risk.
The winter conditon would hamper flight, while the Sabbath due to the Jewish practice and custom.

Jesus gave this warning to the disciples becuse of the possibility that Jewish people would prevent Christians from fleeing on the Sabbath.
Christ knew that the Jews would not allow this kind of escape on the Sabbath. Christians in Judea and Jerusalem
might find it difficult or imposible to flee on this day. Hence this warning was required. It was a warning in advance.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2012
Joagbaje:

The sabbath day was a shadow of christ. The true sabbath is in Jesus . It is not a day but a place . A place of rest in christ.

Jesus didn't observe the sabbath. The sabbath was a shadow of christ. He ended it. He worked on sabbath days . His disciples harvested on sabbath day.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

To fulfill it . He did that he is the fulfillment.
Sabbath means rest . Jesus is the lord of sa bath , and he had come to give rest.

[color=#990000]Matthew 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

bold 1: There was never a fake Sabbath undecided

bold2: And there are several criptures that proved He did!

bold3: That makes it even more valid till date, fullfilling it is not cnacelling it, He gave the true definition of the Sabbath by making it a blessing.

bold4: This rest is not the Sabbath rest He refered to.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by Joagbaje(m): 11:16am On Oct 24, 2012
[img][/img]
plappville:

bold 1: There was never a fake Sabbath undecided

I didn't talk about fake sabbath ,old testament things are shadow of the real. when I said Jesus was the true sabbath.

Colossians 2:16-17
Therefore let no one sit in judgment on you in matters of food and drink, or with regard to a feast day or a New Moon or a Sabbath.
17 Such [things] are only the shadow of things that are to come, and they have only a symbolic value. But the reality (the substance, the solid fact of what is foreshadowed, the body of it) belongs to Christ.

bold2: And there are several criptures that proved He did!

He didn't observe it. He worked on sabbath day. He didn't recognize it.

bold3: That makes it even more valid till date, fullfilling it is not cnacelling it, He gave the true definition of the Sabbath by making it a blessing.

The sabbath of the old is a shadow of the real rest in Jesus . Its a place we attain in him by faith an knowledge. Casting all our burden to him.We enter into this sabbath by faith. It's not in days and month. .

Hebrews 4:1-2
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

bold4: This rest is not the Sabbath rest He refered to.

It is . This rest is entered into by faith in Jesus . Not in observation of a particular day. Read verse 3 of that chapter.

Hebrews 4:3
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest , as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2012
The verse didn't cancel the Sabbath, it is just saying if one does not observed the Sabbath, He/she shouldn't be condemn/judge for this.
If anyone continue keeping it because no verse in anywhere cancel it, its even of more advantage in obeying all of Gods law.

The end shall tell, but then it might be too late for those that believed it was done away with by Christ.

Joagbaje:I didn't talk about fake sabbath ,old testament things are shadow of the real. when I said Jesus was the true sabbath.

If you say that the old testament things are shadow of the real, is tithe not old testament things that was even praticed by the Jews only.
Why then Gentiles Hold strong to tithing and rejects the Sabbath by saying the Sabbath is for the Jews only?

God bless everyone that keep His Sabbath, its for Gods people, anyone who does obey Gods law is Gods child not only the Jews.

Isaiah. 56:1 This is what the LORD says: "Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness will soon be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man who does this, the man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil." 3 Let no foreigner who has bound himself to the LORD say, "The LORD will surely exclude me from his people." And let not any eunuch complain, "I am only a dry tree." 4 For this is what the LORD says: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant. 5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off. 6[b] And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD to serve him, to love the name of the LORD, and to worship him, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant.[/b] 7 these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations."

This is Old testament and it continues in the New testament.....You said He did not Jesus didnt observed it, Do you have a scripture that told us Jesus usually teach on Sunday as we see that He usually teach on the Sabbath?

Mark 1:19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. 21They went to Capernaum,and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach

Mark 6:1 Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. 2 When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. "Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles!

Jesus did not Cancel the Sabbath but made it simple for mankind to enjoy it, It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath but not to do evil:

Mark 3:1 Another time he went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. 2Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. 3Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Stand up in front of everyone." 4[b]Then Jesus asked them, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?"[/b] But they remained silent.

If the Sabbath was/will no longer be observed, Jesus would have told them plainly, like He told the Pharisees "About His existance Before Abraham to thier faces.
After all He knew He will be killed, why should He continue to observe and modify the Sabbath law? After His death, The aplostles continue to Keep the Sababath.
Re: The "First Day" Of The Week ?? by plappville(f): 9:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
plappville: The verse didn't cancel the Sabbath, it is just saying if one does not observed the Sabbath, He/she shouldn't be condemn/judge for this.
If anyone continue keeping it because no verse in anywhere cancel it, its even of more advantage in obeying all of Gods law.

The end shall tell, but then it might be too late for those that believed it was done away with by Christ.

If you say that the old testament things are shadow of the real, is tithe not old testament things that was even praticed by the Jews only.
Why then Gentiles Hold strong to tithing and rejects the Sabbath by saying the Sabbath is for the Jews only?

God bless everyone that keep His Sabbath, its for Gods people, anyone who does obey Gods law is Gods child not only the Jews.

Isaiah. 56:1 This is what the LORD says: "Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness will soon be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man who does this, the man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil." 3 Let no foreigner who has bound himself to the LORD say, "The LORD will surely exclude me from his people." And let not any eunuch complain, "I am only a dry tree." 4 For this is what the LORD says: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant. 5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off. 6[b] And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD to serve him, to love the name of the LORD, and to worship him, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant.[/b] 7 these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations."

This is Old testament and it continues in the New testament.....You said He did not Jesus didnt observed it, Do you have a scripture that told us Jesus usually teach on Sunday as we see that He usually teach on the Sabbath?

Mark 1:19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. 21They went to Capernaum,and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach

Mark 6:1 Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. 2 When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. "Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles!

Jesus did not Cancel the Sabbath but made it simple for mankind to enjoy it, It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath but not to do evil:

Mark 3:1 Another time he went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. 2Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. 3Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Stand up in front of everyone." 4[b]Then Jesus asked them, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?"[/b] But they remained silent.

If the Sabbath was/will no longer be observed, Jesus would have told them plainly, like He told the Pharisees "About His existance Before Abraham to thier faces.
After all He knew He will be killed, why should He continue to observe and modify the Sabbath law? After His death, The aplostles continue to Keep the Sababath.

(1) (Reply)

Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Monday 15th July, 2013 New Song Coming By Pastor E. A / God, The Narrator And Creation: Who Was The Narrator? / Understanding The Concept Of Olodumare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.