Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,423 members, 7,881,552 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:38 PM

Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism (2390 Views)

Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Fulani Herdsmen Sign Pact To End Violence / Jonathan, Buhari Disagree On 2011 Post-poll Crisis, Sign Pact / Oyo, Canadian Firm Sign $1.3bn Pact On Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by semid4lyfe(m): 6:13am On Oct 19, 2012

[img]http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5hwrNaJyE0ucWB7RdmpsMm0aF8_gQ?docId=photo_1350582342128-1-0&size=l[/img]

An agreement on Joint Border Patrols along the border between Nigeria and the Republic of Niger was signed yesterday between the two countries with a view to tackle crime, including terrorism.

This is the outcome of President Goodluck Jonathan’s trip to Niger for the sixth session of the Authority of the Nigeria-Niger Joint Commission for Cooperation.

Jonathan met with his Nigerien counterpart, President Issoufou Mahamadou where the signing of the agreement by the foreign affairs ministers of both countries took place.

Nigeria’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs II, Dr. Nurudeen Muhammed signed on behalf of Nigeria, while the Senior Minister of Foreign Affairs Co-operation, African Integration and Nationals in Diaspora, Mr. Mohammed Bazoum signed on behalf Nigerien government.

The agreement signed in Niamey, the capital of Niger, also directed the two governments to provide envisaged funds and required logistics for the exercise while ensuring joint efforts for the completion of the road construction work of all remaining stretches and the feasibility studies of rail links aimed at connecting both countries.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/37982/2012/10/19/nigeria_niger_sign_pact_terrorism.html
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 19, 2012
First to post, just kidding. Let me soak garri first, brb
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by browncool(m): 6:22am On Oct 19, 2012
Its obvious that some of these Fulani guys and so call herdsmen are from Niger and hope this will improve security strength of both countries
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 6:30am On Oct 19, 2012
Its a welcome development and a very good start for regional cooperation against terrorism in West Africa.
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by fowowe411: 6:33am On Oct 19, 2012
I just hope d pact wl b positive
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by toboy: 6:37am On Oct 19, 2012
ok oo
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2012
Even without signing any useless agreement, there "could, should & would" be thorough searching, scrutininy and ransacking of goods and services at the borders. These c.ows called bh aren't that dumb, they "have, had & will" create alternative route through unimaginable terrains, owing to the fact that the Nigerian immigration/security systems is said to be rudimentary. I'll suggest that it will be better if the Nigerian govt. set up police/civil defence posts within short parameters every where in the north.
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by KINGwax(m): 6:57am On Oct 19, 2012
Stay there dey deceive yourself
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 19, 2012
niger??, nawa o.nxt might be cape verde or senegal..lolx
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by WizPrince1(m): 7:10am On Oct 19, 2012
President Jonathan is Trying... He has always been looking for A way to Sieze and Stop The Terrorism in Nigeria, and Now he Has Found One. God Bless Nigeria, My Beloved Country
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by condralbede(m): 7:23am On Oct 19, 2012
That is a vry bold step by the man who once had no shoe!more chicks to ur hen!
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 19, 2012
condralbede: That is a vry bold step by the man who once had no shoe!more chicks to ur hen!
bold step?? By signing with niger republic on military issues.. Hahaha
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by bory09(m): 7:35am On Oct 19, 2012
Sey na today. So many pact has been signed b4 what benefit does it bring, nothing of course this terrorism matter no be issue of signing pact only but the intervention God. Sikeh na
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by DANILSA(m): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2012
*dhtml:
First to post, just kidding. Let me soak garri first, brb
YOU NO KID BRO wink YOU FINALLY WON FIRST POSITION IN NL COMMENTING COMPETITION, NOW TYPE ANY TOPIC OF YOUR CHOICE AND SUBMIT BEFORE SOAKING YOUR GARRI AND SEE HOW IT JUMPS TO FRONT PAGE.GOODLUCK grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Mrsilya: 8:41am On Oct 19, 2012
I dont trust dese so called Niger ppl ooooo! No be dem be all dese buzu ppl wa we de see around?
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 19, 2012
R2bees: bold step?? By signing with niger republic on military issues.. Hahaha
u obviously aren't smart...everyone knws d bulk of d criminals nd terrorists operating in northern nigeria are nigeriens nd actively use niger as hideouts, also they ferry therir weapons across d border...
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by mapet: 10:21am On Oct 19, 2012
I was on the phone with my brother (A Lt. Col in Maiduguri formation) and I had raised this question of a joint border patrol, when he told me that moast of the Boko Hara foot soldiers attacking JTF are rebels from across the border - Chad, Niger, Somalia etc and these are his reaction and posers

1. We have over 1,500sq.km of border largely not well garded according to international standards. So they move in and out....
2. The govt of Niger itself is almost powerless in curbing the menace of the rebels
3. There is not enough(or near next to nothing) database and intelligence on profiles to work on. He said at this rate, we are not keeping active tabs on the arrow-heads like America for example does. This he said is a necessary condition precedent to crush them quickly and decisively and afterward the rest will be irritants that will be swept away with time

He agreed that there needs to be a renewed effort with neighboring countries on joint border patrols

He also affirmed that regardless of the media report, those recently killed WERE NOT CIVILLIANS, but BOKO HARAM mem

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 19, 2012
mapet: I was on the phone with my brother (A Lt. Col in Maiduguri formation) and I had raised this question of a joint border patrol, when he told me that moast of the Boko Hara foot soldiers attacking JTF are rebels from across the border - Chad, Niger, Somalia etc and these are his reaction and posers

1. We have over 1,500sq.km of border largely not well garded according to international standards. So they move in and out....
2. The govt of Niger itself is almost powerless in curbing the menace of the rebels
3. There is not enough(or near next to nothing) database and intelligence on profiles to work on. He said at this rate, we are not keeping active tabs on the arrow-heads like America for example does. This he said is a necessary condition precedent to crush them quickly and decisively and afterward the rest will be irritants that will be swept away with time

He agreed that there needs to be a renewed effort with neighboring countries on joint border patrols

He also affirmed that regardless of the media report, those recently killed WERE NOT CIVILLIANS, but BOKO HARAM mem
these are actually very credible points.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by misreal(m): 12:16pm On Oct 19, 2012
I hope dz works
Re: Nigeria And Niger Sign Pact On Terrorism by londoner: 1:34pm On Oct 21, 2012
R2bees: bold step?? By signing with niger republic on military issues.. Hahaha

Yes, this is exactly what needs to happen.

The border being porous had helped people from Niger to join forces and hands with Boko Haram for number of years.

Or should Nigeria sign a pact with South Africa over Boko Haram instead?

It is as wise as America working closely with Pakistan to catch Bin Laden, who do you think US got permission to watch his compound and retrieve information from locals, if not the Pakistan gov?

It can give Nigerian personnel the opportunity to engage in surveillance and gather information, there needs to be an agreement and permission before this can happen.

(1) (Reply)

Saw This On Facebook - A call to Nigerian Youths / How Much Is Osun State Owing? / President Jonathan Live In Benin..(pics).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.