Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,953 members, 7,927,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 12:12 AM

He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? (4572 Views)

3m Nigerians Living Illegally In UK – Senate Committee / French Foreign Legion: A Legitimate Option For Nigerians Living Illegally In EU. / Nigerians Living Illegally In China Are Now Going Through Hell! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 1:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

but there is boko haram now......if he claims his house has now been destroyed and his parents got killed, they would grant him asylum!

who does he know in the south or east? that would be a breach of his human right if you ask him to move to a place he's never stayed before all his life. the brits know about nigeria

If he live was in danger by the crisis in Nigeria then he would have claimed asylum at yrs ago when he arrived in the UK, i guess he came in legally and things did not work out and he visa ran out.

Yes there is boko haram now but millions of Nigerians are running out of the country because of boko haram and Nigeria Govt hasn't completely lost the fight against boko haram. He stands no chance claiming an asylum based on that.

Yes he can move to the south or east, he does not need to know anybody in those places to move there, if his life is really in danger then knowing somebody there does not matter. Who is breaching his human right? The British Govt or Nigerian Govt?
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 1:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

but there is boko haram now......if he claims his house has now been destroyed and his parents got killed, they would grant him asylum!

who does he know in the south or east? that would be a breach of his human right if you ask him to move to a place he's never stayed before all his life. the brits know about nigeria more than you think! nigerian females in the uk are using the homosèxuality technicality to get their asylum! nigeria is one of the worst countries to be homoerotic - if he has a good lawyer, he would win!

like the op said, he did not come here legally - his identity is not known by the home office! if he came into the country in 2004, it means he didn't fingerprint in lagos cos that system was not in place as at then! so this dude is flexible and can claim whatever - if i were him, i would back-date the year i arrived in the uk to 1997.....the home office would not have any proof that he hasn't been in the country since then!

His identity is known by HomeOffice, when he applied for visa in 2004 he supplied his personal details in Nigeria and his passport was stamped at heathrow airport when he arrived in the UK and he can not backdate anything, he can not change his details held already when he came into the country.

He might have applied for bank account or job with those details before his visa expires, he can not legally change those now.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 2:14pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

if i were him, i would back-date the year i arrived in the uk to 1997.....the home office would not have any proof that he hasn't been in the country since then!

Not so easy over here. Even in your CV, if there's a year missing, they want to know what you were doing then (the nosey parkers grin)
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 2:20pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
His identity is known by HomeOffice, when he applied for visa in 2004 he supplied his personal details in Nigeria and his passport was stamped at heathrow airport when he arrived in the UK and he can not backdate anything, he can not change his details held already when he came into the country.

He might have applied for bank account or job with those details before his visa expires, he can not legally change those now.

his biometrics has to be tied to his name for that to stand a ground....if he does not have any fingerprint with the police or the home office, he can claim to be anyone! i am certain he must have destroyed the passport he came in with - like most illegal folks do! the home office does not have his identity. if the immigration fingerprints him, nothing would come up in their system.....there's no way the home office can prove he came in 2004 without biometrics unless they find a passport on him! as per bank accounts or job - that's easy! all he has to do is to flip his name or add a biblical name to his list of his names and a brand new date of birth and boom - he has a virgin identity!

justwise:
Yes there is boko haram now but millions of Nigerians are running out of the country because of boko haram and Nigeria Govt hasn't completely lost the fight against boko haram. He stands no chance claiming an asylum based on that.

whether he stands a good chance or not depends on his lawyers - boko haram is on equal standing with al qaeda.....there's no way you would put boko haram as the reason for your asylum without the court taking it seriously.....if the immigration is stalling, get dailymail or telegraph to do an exclusive story!

Yes he can move to the south or east, he does not need to know anybody in those places to move there, if his life is really in danger then knowing somebody there does not matter. Who is breaching his human right? The British Govt or Nigerian Govt?

you don't even understand immigration rules in the uk......
if you have left lagos for more than 5 yrs.....sending you back there is a breach of your private life as you would not have friends to associate it! the dude also has a wife and a child, sending him back to nigeria would breach his human right - family life! all he needs is a good lawyer! people with obscene criminal records have been granted their stay in the uk - why would they refuse this dude if he gets a good lawyer?

Omo Alata:
Not so easy over here. Even in your CV, if there's a year missing, they want to know what you were doing then (the nosey parkers grin)

it's easy.....
he has nothing to lose anymore - this can only go down in 2 ways - apply for a stay using the human right technicality and get a good lawyer! his human right says he should not be deported if he has a family(wife and child) and a private life........the 2nd option is no longer an option as the 14 yrs continuous stay got increased to 20 yrs in july......so he ought to have spent 20 yrs in the uk to qualify for long stay!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 2:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

his biometrics has to be tied to his name for that to stand a ground....if he does not have any fingerprint with the police or the home office, he can claim to be anyone! i am certain he must have destroyed the passport he came in with - like most illegal folks do! the home office does not have his identity. if the immigration fingerprints him, nothing would come up in their system.....there's no way the home office can prove he came in 2004 without biometrics unless they find a passport on him! as per bank accounts or job - that's easy! all he has to do is to flip his name or add a biblical name to his list of his names and a brand new date of birth and boom - he has a virgin identity!

whether he stands a good chance or not depends on his lawyers - boko haram is on equal standing with al qaeda.....there's no way you would put boko haram as the reason for your asylum without the court taking it seriously.....if the immigration is stalling, get dailymail or telegraph to do an exclusive story!

you don't even understand immigration rules in the uk......
if you have left lagos for more than 5 yrs.....sending you back there is a breach of your private life as you would not have friends to associate it! the dude also has a wife and a child, sending him back to nigeria would breach his human right - family life! all he needs is a good lawyer! people with obscene criminal records have been granted their stay in the uk - why would they refuse this dude if he gets a good lawyer?

I have to disagree with you, before finger print comes in HomeOffice still identify people, changing a single detail about him will not help him. If you details can not be found in the system the conclusion is that you came in illegally either through the back of a lorry or smuggled in by other means. As far as asylum claim is concerned he got no serious case.

The only slightly hope he has is if he is married with kid(s) and even at that its not going to be an easy battle with HomeOffice.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 2:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
I have to disagree with you, before finger print comes in HomeOffice still identify people, changing a single detail about him will not help him. If you details can not be found in the system the conclusion is that you came in illegally either through the bank of a lorry or smuggled in by other means. As far as asylum claim is concerned he got no serious case.

why do you love arguing against logic?
if i came in as austin okocha in 2004, overstayed and became illegal then i applied as mikel obi in 2012.....how would the home office know i was okocha in 2004? of course, i have gotten a new passport in mikel obi's name.....destroyed okocha's passport! i have no fingerprints in the system identifying me as okocha, no bank links or whatever. i would only submit details that prove i'm mikel obi.....so tell me, how would the home office know i am okocha without my biometrics or my old okocha passport?

The only slightly hope he has is if he is married with kid(s) and even at that its not going to be an easy battle with HomeOffice.

he doesn't have to be married with kids. a partner with his kid is ok! people have used their pets(cats and dogs) to cop their stay in the uk! it depends on how your lawyer can argue your case! right to family and private life can be manipulated to suit any purpose with a good lawyer. if this guy uses a new identity - he would get his stay!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

why do you love arguing against logic?
if i came in as austin okocha in 2004, overstayed and became illegal then i applied as mikel obi in 2012.....how would the home office know i was okocha in 2004? of course, i have gotten a new passport in mikel obi's name.....destroyed okocha's passport! i have no fingerprints in the system identifying me as okocha, no bank links or whatever. i would only submit details that proves me as mikel obi.....so tell me, how would the home office know i am okocha without my biometrics or my old okocha passport?

he doesn't have to be married with kids. a partner with his kid is ok! people have used their pets(cats and dogs) to cop their stay in the uk! it depends on how your lawyer can argue your case! right to family and private life can be manipulated to suit any purpose with a good lawyer. if this guy uses a new identity - he would get his stay!

As a Nigerian you still don't stand a chance of claiming asylum, changing your name to any other name will not prove jack, you will only be making things difficult for yourself because if your fingerprint is now taken with this fake name then all your original personal details has to be changed.

Afghanistains, Pakistanis even Iranians are being deported after failing to secure asylum status in the UK let a lone a Nigerian.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 2:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
As a Nigerian you still don't stand a chance of claiming asylum, changing your name to any other name will not prove jack, you will only be making things difficult for yourself because if your fingerprint is now taken with this fake name then all your original personal details has to be changed.

you are so naive!
people who used fake names to secure their papers waited till they got their british passport and did "change of name" back to their original names! see this justwise, you must be a jew!

Afghanistains, Pakistanis even Iranians are being deported after failing to secure asylum status in the UK let a lone a Nigerian.

you have to look at each case individually......each case is different - no 2 cases are precisely the same. we could both be seeking asylum and one of us has a criminal record while the other has none - would the outcome of our cases be the same?

this dude does not even need to seek asylum and change his name. all he needs is a good lawyer to argue his right to private and family life......if his record is squeaky clean, i would argue his case in court and win!

1 Like

Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 3:09pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

you are so naive!
people who used fake names to secure their papers waited till they got their british passport and did "change of name" back to their original names! see this justwise, you must be a jew!

you have to look at each case individually......each case is different - no 2 cases are precisely the same. we could both be seeking asylum and one of us has a criminal record while the other has none - would the outcome of our cases be the same?

this dude does not even need to seek asylum and change his name. all he needs is a good lawyer to argue his right to private and family life......if his record is squeaky clean, i would argue his case in court and win!

I take that as a joke.

My point still remain that this guy doesn't stand a chance if he is to go asylum route, he doesn't have a strong claim, he will only waste his money with immigration lawyers and years of frustration in the hands of HomeOffice.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by Talk2naija(m): 3:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
www.suprisingeurope.com tell him to go to that website too, he can find some help with people over there. Hope this helps.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by plendil: 5:21pm On Oct 21, 2012
did OP say prayers? praying for what exactly? shocked
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
plendil: did OP say prayers? praying for what exactly? shocked

The OP didn't say any prayers grin I asked if his only hope was prayers smiley
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 5:24pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:

I take that as a joke.

My point still remain that this guy doesn't stand a chance if he is to go asylum route, he doesn't have a strong claim, he will only waste his money with immigration lawyers and years of frustration in the hands of HomeOffice.

he has a strong claim.....,people with worse situations have been granted asylums.....don't just sit down and pass judgements on things you don't know! like i said, he doesn't even need to claim any asylum..........his right to family life is enough to get him a right to stay in the uk!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 5:30pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

he has a strong claim.....,people with worse situations have been granted asylums.....don't just sit down and pass judgements on things you don't know! like i said, he doesn't even need to claim any asylum..........his right to family life is enough to get him a right to stay in the uk!

coogar:

boko haram
naija delta crisis
persecution of christians in jos
hell, he can even claim he's a faggöt!
coogar:

who does he know in the south or east? that would be a breach of his human right if you ask him to move to a place he's never stayed before all his life. the brits know about nigeria more than you think! nigerian females in the uk are using the homosèxuality technicality to get their asylum! nigeria is one of the worst countries to be homoerotic - if he has a good lawyer, he would win!

like the op said, he did not come here legally - his identity is not known by the home office! if he came into the country in 2004, it means he didn't fingerprint in lagos cos that system was not in place as at then! so this dude is flexible and can claim whatever - if i were him, i would back-date the year i arrived in the uk to 1997.....the home office would not have any proof that he hasn't been in the country since then!

Asylum claim was the bases of our argument now you are saying he doesn't need to claim asylum.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by dorox(m): 5:56pm On Oct 21, 2012
@coogar: justwise is right, asylum claim is not as easy as you make it seem
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 6:12pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
Asylum claim was the bases of our argument now you are saying he doesn't need to claim asylum.

asylum in the worst case scenario - he has a cohabiting partner and a child. that's enough to grant him a right to family life in the uk!

dorox: @coogar: justwise is right, asylum claim is not as easy as you make it seem

who is talking about asylum is easy - i said if he gets a good lawyer, he can get whatever he desires.....there are people with worse immigration history and they got their wishes!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 6:20pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

asylum in the worst case scenario - he has a cohabiting partner and a child. that's enough to grant him a right to family life in the uk!

who is talking about asylum is easy - i said if he gets a good lawyer, he can get whatever he desires.....there are people with worse immigration history and they got their wishes!

Even if he related to prime minister he can not get whatever he desires considering his situation, he is an illegal immigrant, his wife is an illegal immigrant, going through family route will be long costly legal battle.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 6:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
Even if he related to prime minister he can not get whatever he desires considering his situation, he is an illegal immigrant, his wife is an illegal immigrant, going through family route will be long costly legal battle.

no, it won't be....
they have spent 8 yrs in the uk - that actually counts for something! you mean the home office would throw father, mother and child out of the country after 8 yrs in the uk without having a criminal record? abegggg - stop chatting nonsense!!

the several cases below would tutor you how difficult it is to deport a man with his family in the uk.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8290263/Record-number-of-illegal-immigrants-win-right-to-stay-in-UK.html

i rest my case.....
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 6:29pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

no, it won't be....
they have spent 8 yrs in the uk - that actually counts for something! you mean the home office would throw father, mother and child out of the country after 8 yrs in the uk without having a criminal record? abegggg - stop chatting nonsense!!

All we know is that he has being here for 8yrs, we don't know how long the wife has being here or whether they have child together.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 6:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:

All we know is that he has being here for 8yrs, we don't know how long the wife has being here or whether they have child together.

it does not matter how long the wife has been here - the status of the man is what the wife would also share in the end as they are married....the single most important factor is that the man has been here for 8 yrs....living continuously for 8 yrs in britain with no criminal history is more than enough ground to get his 'leave to remain'
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 6:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

it does not matter how long the wife has been here - the status of the man is what the wife would also share in the end as they are married....the single most important factor is that the man has been here for 8 yrs....living continuously for 8 yrs in britain with no criminal history is more than enough ground to get his 'leave to remain'

Not true, 10yrs or 14yrs before you start nursing the idea of applying for Leave to remain.

1 Like

Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 6:56pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:

Not true, 10yrs or 14yrs before you start nursing the idea of applying for Leave to remain.

leave to remain has different categories.....indefinite leave to remain is the 10/14 yrs. there's further leave to remain, there's limited leave to remain.....at least with any of these, the dude can gain employment and can cop the freedom to move without looking over his shoulder all the time!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

leave to remain has different categories.....indefinite leave to remain is the 10/14 yrs. there's further leave to remain, there's limited leave to remain.....at least with any of these, the dude can gain employment and can cop the freedom to move without looking over his shoulder all the time!

coogar he does not qualify for any considering his situation and based on 8yrs long stay.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:

coogar he does not qualify for any considering his situation and based on 8yrs long stay.

he should apply for flr(further leave to remain) - obviously, the case would go to court considering the fact he's an overstayer - but his good character, long stay in the uk, right to family life should mitigate his poor immigration history! trust me, the presiding judge would "dash" him 2-3 yrs further leave to remain.....
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 7:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

he should apply for flr(further leave to remain) - obviously, the case would go to court considering the fact he's an overstayer - but his good character, long stay in the uk, right to family life should mitigate his poor immigration history! trust me, the presiding judge would "dash" him 2-3 yrs further leave to remain.....

Lets assumed that this couple are married without kid, both of them are illegal immigrants, the only chance they stand is to apply after 14yrs of living in the UK, applying just after 8yrs will be waste of application money and still be refused, going to immigration tribunal is only if he is given right to appeal the decision.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 8:17pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:

Lets assumed that this couple are married without kid, both of them are illegal immigrants, the only chance they stand is to apply after 14yrs of living in the UK, applying just after 8yrs will be waste of application money and still be refused, going to immigration tribunal is only if he is given right to appeal the decision.

but they have a child now! family = man + woman + kid(s)! all he needs to prove is that he's been here for at least 5 yrs and he can apply for flr-further leave to remain. there's a special category for this......flr(o)- further leave to remain(other reasons)! he should just state his reasons, notify the home office he's been here for 8 yrs, include the name of wife and child plus the baby's birth certificate, etc.......case would go to tribunal and with a good lawyer, he would get 2-3 yrs further leave to remain!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by justwise(m): 8:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

but they have a child now! family = man + woman + kid(s)! all he needs to prove is that he's been here for at least 5 yrs and he can apply for flr-further leave to remain. there's a special category for this......flr(o)- further leave to remain(other reasons)! he should just state his reasons, notify the home office he's been here for 8 yrs, include the name of wife and child plus the baby's birth certificate, etc.......case would go to tribunal and with a good lawyer, he would get 2-3 yrs further leave to remain!

Omo Alata:

I don't know if they have kids but I know his wife is also illegal and has no job.

That was what Omo Alata said regarding kid.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 9:07pm On Oct 21, 2012
[size=14pt]I just asked him. He said they have no kids. I ran the asylum issue past him. He said he is looking into 'other things' which he will discuss with me when he next sees me in church[/size]
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 9:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
justwise:
That was what Omo Alata said regarding kid.

##sighs##

Omo Alata: [size=14pt]I just asked him. He said they have no kids. I ran the asylum issue past him. He said he is looking into 'other things' which he will discuss with me when he next sees me in church[/size]

he'd better knock his partner up while he's at it......they would need to establish a family life here to stand a chance - as it is now, if he gets caught - he would be sorry for himself!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by penfold(m): 9:52pm On Oct 21, 2012
@coogar,
Just wondering....
Since you said he should get a new Identity, dyu mean he should get a new nigerian passport? If thats what you mean,how will he explain to the High Commission how he got to the UK in the first instance, cuz I happen to know that the Nigerian High Commission in UK will not even renew an expired Passport with no exit(Nig) and entry(UK) stamp on it plus valid visa,not to talk of issuing a fresh one.They'll tell the person to go to Abuja to renew the passport if there are no stamps and valid visa on it,and they only issue fresh passports/renewals for UK-born Nigerians or Nigerians with legal status. So how exactly is he going to get a new Identity/passport.
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by coogar: 9:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
penfold: @coogar,
Just wondering....
Since you said he should get a new Identity, dyu mean he should get a new nigerian passport? If thats what you mean,how will he explain to the High Commission how he got to the UK in the first instance, cuz I happen to know that the Nigerian High Commission in UK will not even renew an expired Passport with no exit(Nig) and entry(UK) stamp on it plus valid visa,not to talk of issuing a fresh one.They'll tell the person to go to Abuja to renew the passport if there are no stamps and valid visa on it,and they only issue fresh passports/renewals for UK-born Nigerians or Nigerians with legal status. So how exactly is he going to get a new Identity/passport.

really? with £500, you would get a new nigerian passport without the queue and the nonsense long process you get @ the nigerian house! this is nigeria we are talking about or you think there's no bribery n corruption in that place? blimey - nigerians make me laugh!
Re: He's In London Illegally, What Are His Chances? by OmoAlata(f): 10:01pm On Oct 21, 2012
coogar:

he'd better knock his partner up while he's at it......they would need to establish a family life here to stand a chance - as it is now, if he gets caught - he would be sorry for himself!

I dunno. I think he's planning to do a marriage of convenience. He didn't say so in so many words lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eea Family Visa For Uk / Ghana Is A No! No!! / Photos From Idu Railway Station, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.