Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,598 members, 7,888,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:05 PM

"I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? (60542 Views)

What's The English Word For "Shakara" / Funny Facts About English Language / New Word In The English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by dabigwalls: 12:40pm On Oct 28, 2012
I have often come across people in writing substitute the use of "I'm" with "am". It is becoming a careless error that is gradually creeping into professional writing and it is to say the least appalling that even graduates have no clue. There was a time people would say "it's my lucky" rather than "it's my luck", etc

"I'm" is the abbreviated form of "I am" so when "am" is used alone, it may pass in speech but never ever in an application to a serious organisation or employer. Never write "am hoping that..." -in an email or letter. Rather in speech, it should be "I am hoping..." -and not even the correct abbreviation "I'm".

This may not affect the prices of many things in the market o but a trained and sophisticated HR recruiting unit may perceive such candidates as weak potentials - even if the contrary were true.

37 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ayobase(m): 12:56pm On Oct 28, 2012
I stopped arguing with people about this.
Some still claim that it is right.....hmmm!
There is an handle maybe ''misscorrection'', she corrected some fellows yesterday!
OP, as u mentioned, the error is now official o!

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by eduson55(m): 1:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
**organization
**sophisticated aboki
dabigwalls: I have often come across people in writing substitute the use of "I'm" with "am". It is becoming a careless error that is gradually creeping into professional writing and it is to say the least appalling that even graduates have no clue. There was a time people would say "it's my lucky" rather than "it's my luck", etc

"I'm" is the abbreviated form of "I am" so when "am" is used alone, it may pass in speech but never ever in an application to a serious orgarnisation or employer. Never write "am hoping that..." -in an email or letter. Rather in speech, it should be "I am hoping..." -and not even the correct abbreviation "I'm".

This may not affect the prices of many things in the market o but a trained and sofisticated HR recruiting unit may perceive such candidates as weak potentials - even if the contrary were true.

18 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
many may write I AM in such form to ease their typing by writing the word the easiest way possible.....I, for example, always write DONT, CANT, WONT SHOULDNT etc instead of can't, won't, shouldn't.......or better yet ITS instead of it's, and thats because its easier for me to write. now, if i have to write something more official then i certainly will know how to write these words properly.

7 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ayobase(m): 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
eduson55: **organization
**sophisticated aboki

allow misscorrection to do her job!
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by tubolancer(m): 6:24pm On Oct 28, 2012
I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by dabigwalls: 11:23pm On Oct 29, 2012
eduson55: **organization
**sophisticated aboki

Thank you for the correction on sophistication.

What is wrong with "organisation" as spelt?

Cheers
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by eduson55(m): 7:14am On Oct 30, 2012
hey,you made no mistake,just playing ma jokes.
i'm sorry tho.
dabigwalls:

Thank you for the correction on sophistication.

What is wrong with "organisation" as spelt?

Cheers
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by a1solution: 7:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
@Op, or any other person. if I give an article of 5- 10 pages can you write it in a way it would look special, so I pay you.? If you can, solution4sucess at yahoo.com so I send you the link to the article. cheers
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by NEROSKY(m): 7:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
noted
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Dospix(m): 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
I found it difficult reading your first sentence,i feel your application of punctuation marks is platitudiniously...fill in the missing word.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Jarus(m): 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
Even in SMS I find it extremely uncomfortable writing 'am'.

2 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by deols(f): 7:50pm On Oct 30, 2012
U probably are writing this from ur NL experience. But while typing most ppl just want to get it done wv hence d abbreviations. I make typo errors and just leave them when I know my target audience isnt the dumb type.

Making the correction isnt a bad idea anyway.

3 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by MissCorrection: 7:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.

Volunteers
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by fittty(m): 7:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
I'm
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by seantemple(m): 7:55pm On Oct 30, 2012
Noted and filed.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 30, 2012
I'm is correct.

Oh wait. Now if you're hoping to correct Nigerian youths, it's almost impossible. Text and IM has ruined it all. undecided
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 30, 2012
@OP, good one. I have also noticed that some people tend to mix up "it's" and "its". It's is an abbreviation of it is, while its is a possessive word.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by jericco1(m): 7:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Adufaye(m): 8:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
nutin una go talk wey go change ma mind 4 *am*

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
ItsModella: @OP, good one. I have also noticed that some people tend to mix up "it's" and "its". It's is an abbreviation of it is, while its is a possessive word.

It's/its
There/they're/their
Your/you're

I'm in university and proofread essays at times. Too many times do students get the above three confused. Either they don't know or they don't care to know. I'm convinced the falling standards of the English language isn't subject to Nigerians alone. That certainly doesn't make it alright, however.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by manny4life(m): 8:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
@Op, you've tried. I'm no expert but I've seen so many misplaced or misused words that imply differently, nonetheless, as long as we understand them, it's all good. For instance, I've seen folks writing "I [b]learnt [/b]that", I thought learnt wasn't correct but learned? Hey, if it fits their boat, so be it.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by adonisyung(m): 8:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
I need to buy jamb form...I must go to school...I am (am) tired of garri market

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
manny4life: @Op, you've tried. I'm no expert but I've seen so many misplaced or misused words that imply differently, nonetheless, as long as we understand them, it's all good. For instance, I've seen folks writing "I [b]learnt [/b]that", I thought learnt wasn't correct but learned? Hey, if it fits their boat, so be it.

Learned and learnt are interchangeable I believe. Learned is American English whereas learnt is British English. Allegedly, there was a rule that made the past participle of learn "learnt". The rule no longer exists, but the word is still used.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by omodapson(m): 8:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.

I can see why you need readers... Was not 'satisfy' grin
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by mayoroflag(m): 8:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
It is not the only grammar issue Nigerians have. But you succeeded in putting on a caveat on the price of garri, because I was wondering if you would get knighted by the Queen for this observation.

I was surprised when I realized that UK required that I write the IELTS for my HSMP application because Nigeria was not considered a native English speaking country. That was 8 years ago. I know better now. These issues will continue because the standard of education seems to get poorer. Gone are those days when people whistled or covered their eyes or heads to dodge bullets...
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Leobreezy(m): 8:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
@op. Nice post, but nobody is perfect.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by deols(f): 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2012
I believe a time is coming when all of these wouldnt matter anymore. The key would be,communication and once you are able to do that,you are good to go.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
manny4life: @Op, you've tried. I'm no expert but I've seen so many misplaced or misused words that imply differently, nonetheless, as long as we understand them, it's all good. For instance, I've seen folks writing "I [b]learnt [/b]that", I thought learnt wasn't correct but learned? Hey, if it fits their boat, so be it.
Learned is American English while learnt is British. I also had the same problem with words like burnt/burned, spoilt/spoiled, spilt/spilled, smelt/smelled, spelt/spelled.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ashmanpolo: 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2012

SATISFIED, VOLUNTEERS please don't let me call you 'OKPOKO'
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by SisiKill1: 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yeah one of my pet peeves is the S mistakes. . .for instance on the front page there is a thread with this title » How Many [size=18pt]Nigerians Supports[/size] A Nigerian Football Team? «

Nigerian (Singular) - Supports (S is needed)

Nigerians (Plural) - Support (No S is needed)

. . . How's that such a hard concept to grasp?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by datola: 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
What's the the pride in being expert in another man's language. We can study science in our languages and be the best in innovation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Curious / Online Publishing/Blogging Course And Certification / Shadows From The Past....[The Past Came Haunting]-- A Short Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.