Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,635 members, 7,889,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 09:08 PM

"I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? (60543 Views)

What's The English Word For "Shakara" / Funny Facts About English Language / New Word In The English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nexynino: 9:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
ItsModella: @OP, good one. I have also noticed that some people tend to mix up "it's" and "its". It's is an abbreviation of it is, while its is a possessive word.
ItsModella: @OP, good one. I have also noticed that some people tend to mix up "it's" and "its". It's is an abbreviation of it is, while its is a possessive word.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nexynino: 9:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
yea yea
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by umra8901(f): 9:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
Thank you Lord for this. It gets on my nerves when people say/write/text 'am' instead of 'I'm/I am'
It isn't that hard to differentiate.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by caukerzee(m): 9:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
Leobreezy: @op. Nice post, but nobody is perfect.
omg!!! Like wtf?! Could people be this dumb? What has this got to do with perfection? So one shouldn't be corrected because 'no one is perfect'? That's the failure mentality.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nagoma(m): 9:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
Adufaye: nutin una go talk wey go change ma mind 4 *am*

This has nothing to do with your mind . You either right or wrong.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by caukerzee(m): 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
nikkyshyne: Other mistakes I see on nairaland.
Been/being
Those/does
please, put more light to the 'being' and 'been'. I am one of those people who really forget the differences. Where do i use which?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nitlad: 9:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
Dospix: I found it difficult reading your first sentence,i feel your application of punctuation marks is platitudiniously...fill in the missing word.
Now who is being platitudinous?
It's spelt PLATITUDINOUSLY, without an 'i' after the 'n'.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by caukerzee(m): 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
It also pisses me off when people use 'am' in place of 'i'm'. Am could only be used to start a sentense when it is a question.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chreldb(m): 10:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.

Is there any renumeration for the readers? The reason "am" smiley asking is because not all volunteer jobs go without pay and the way you presented your request sounds more like an offer rather than a plea. Just asking.

@ topic I deliberately used the word am instead of I am for typing convenience. Interestingly, as I was typing I knew that I was going to do that and I also knew it was not the right way to write but I did it anyways. My point like someone earlier said is that some people deliberately type like that especially during informal situations such as now. But when it really matters they know the right thing to do.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nuezha(m): 10:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
Adufaye: nutin una go talk wey go change ma mind 4 *am*
'Aja to maa sonu kii gbo fere olode'
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chreldb(m): 10:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
caukerzee: please, put more light to the 'being' and 'been'. I am one of those people who really forget the differences. Where do i use which?

LOL, me too.

You can visit this link below and take a test. Just did so some few days ago, so your post comes as a coincidence to me smiley.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/being_been.htm
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nitlad: 10:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.
MissCorrection:

Volunteers
Turns out even MissCorrection can't spot it all. Well you missed that red part Miss.
satisfied.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Dandy1(m): 10:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
caukerzee: please, put more light to the 'being' and 'been'. I am one of those people who really forget the differences. Where do i use which?

both are from the root word-''be''. ''Being'' is the continuous form of ''be'',while ''been'' is the past tense and past participle form.i.e(be been been).''Been'' is usually used after the word ''have'' to show that the action is done. E.g; I have been here all day. While ''being'' shows the action is still active. E.g; the topic being treated by this thread is the misuse of the word ''am''.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nitlad: 10:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
ogugua88:

Learned and learnt are interchangeable I believe. Learned is American English whereas learnt is British English. Allegedly, there was a rule that made the past participle of learn "learnt". The rule no longer exists, but the word is still used.
Coincidentally, British English is the standard bearer. So 'learned' be damned! lol
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by prettyboi1(m): 10:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
A lot of people mix up "am" & "I'm" & a few other of such words. I thought I was the only one it irritated,I'm glad to see a lot more people had/have noticed the trend of that.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by yuzedo: 10:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
This is my GREATEST pet peeve in life and apparently the most common faux pas in grammar.
It annoys me to no end seeing people older than 14yrs making this damn mistake every f(u)cking day! The only excuse for this crap should be dyslexia. Had to genuinely ask one girl if she was suffering from the condition cos she is a letter away from daft.

Grammar: "The difference between knowing your sh(i)t and knowing you're sh(i)t."
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by SisiKill1: 10:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
strangest: Inferiority complex is when you try as much as possible to imitate a white mans language. We are Nigerians and if Americans can refer to "want to" as "wanna", "got to" as "gonna" and "twenty" as twenny, even sef the digit 1900 is referred to as Nineteen Hundred instead of one thousand nine hundred. Is that not GBAGAUN to the highest level? NO its not.. Its called American English... Who is fooling who? Abegii all those GBAGAUN that you read about everyday including the ones dey claimed Patience made are nothing but NIGERIAN ENGLISH. E0D

Blah! Blah! Blah!

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chreldb(m): 10:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
Speaking of wrong and careless usage of words, another disturbing trend I have noticed is the use of "molestation" in place of "molested". It has become so common on NL that I am almost beginning to think that people do it deliberately. You see sentences like these. "The bad men took her to the place and molestation her", "is it because she stole a blackberry that they molestation her". Now thats irritating.

2 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nikkyshyne(f): 10:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
^^ Lol chreld_b. That is nairaland's dictionary for you. The word R-A-P-E is being replaced with Molestation when you click on the submit button. Don't mind oga Seun. He did that with so many words. I find c.u..m which was replaced with 'precipitate' funny.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by pek(m): 10:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
ogugua88:

Learned and learnt are interchangeable I believe. Learned is American English whereas learnt is British English. Allegedly, there was a rule that made the past participle of learn "learnt". The rule no longer exists, but the word is still used.
they may be interchangable now but in Queen's English they mean different things! An English man will not use learned as the part tense of learn.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Abbott(m): 10:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
chreld_b: Speaking of wrong and careless usage of words, another disturbing trend I have noticed is the use of "molestation" in place of "molested". It has become so common on NL that I am almost beginning to think that people do it deliberately. You see sentences like these. "The bad men took her to the place and molestation her", "is it because she stole a blackberry that they molestation her". Now thats irritating.

Nairaland bots change some offensive or suggestive words to another that is meant to be less suggestive or offensive but the grammar assault is ruthless and cruel notwithstanding.
R#*a#*p#*e is changed to molestation
s""e""x"" to indecency/intimate
Reason why some people write rape as despoil
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chreldb(m): 10:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
nikkyshyne: ^^ Lol chreld_b. That is nairaland's dictionary for you. The word R-A-P-E is being replaced with Molestation when you click on the submit button. Don't mind oga Seun. He did that with so many words. I find c.u..m which was replaced with 'precipitate' funny.

Abbott:

Nairaland bots change some offensive or suggestive words to another that is meant to be less suggestive or offensive but the grammar assault is ruthless and cruel notwithstanding.
R#*a#*p#*e is changed to molestation
s""e""x"" to indecency/intimate
Reason why some people write rape as despoil

OK now i see, that explains it. In that case I think Seun should modify the word checking software on NL (if that's what is being used). It gives the wrong impression.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Abbott(m): 10:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
The bots make some dreary, unhappy threads laughable. First time I came across such occurrence "why did they molestation her?" I was startled. Then precipitate and despoil and other funny words. It makes NL go round.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ashmanpolo: 10:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
chreld_b:

Seun should also modify some names like sexkillz, chreld_b etc.

OK now i see, that explains it. In that case I think Seun should modify the word checking software on NL (if that's what is being used). It gives the wrong impression.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by sarutobie(m): 10:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
People also confuse were with where a lot of times to put it simply..Where is used when describing a location,position of someone/something at a particular time eg...Where is the pen? Where are you going to?......Were on the other hand,is used to describe an action/event at a particular time..eg.They were running/shooting/arguing/laughing etc..
1.Where were they going to?..where in the sentence, implies a location while were describes the action 'going'..my 2 cents..
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by DICKtator: 10:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
MissCorrection:

Volunteers

You self are olodo. Didn't you saw where he was write"I am not satisfy"?
You are correction others english yet you cannot corrected it well.
Am disappointing in you.
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nikkyshyne(f): 11:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
Awww. Sometimes, some things are hard to explain. If you know it, you just know it. However, for a start, know that the word 'BEEN' is Past tense. BEING is Present tense.

EG

•I have 'been' intimidated. Past
•I am 'being' intimidated. Present

•I have 'been' in a relationship before. Past
•'Being' in a relationship is a good thing. Present

Hope this helps.smiley
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nitlad: 11:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
bee444:

Miscorrection!
MissCorrection
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by victorD3: 11:04pm On Oct 30, 2012

Satisfied - satisfy
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Omobacom: 11:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
See these People..... Una don lost senses of humour. Wetin do our own languges like... Pidgin,urhobo,efik,egun,hausa,igbo,calabar,yoruba and boku boku languages weh baba God Bless Us with. If na white People, dem go do write Bibles, Quran, Oxford Dictionary, Guiness Book of record and even yahoo messenger. Make una think.... I be proud nija man
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nitlad: 11:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
bealuv:
yes,here comes the Nigerian "never ready to learn and correct my mistakes" mentality.
your question is what is the pride in being an expert at anoda man's language(i.e english) right?
i'll answer with another question....how many countries in the world can you take yoruba or igbo or hausa too to and you ll be whole-heartedly received??
if you can answer that then you have answered your question
lol
There is really no point trying to be A.S. Hornby, when being Patience Jonathan will pass your message across. lol grin grin grin
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chreldb(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abbott: The bots make some dreary, unhappy threads laughable. First time I came across such occurrence "why did they molestation her?" I was startled. Then precipitate and despoil and other funny words. It makes NL go round.

Lol, Imagine the shocker you would have received when you click on submit if you tried to do over sabi to correct the person @ bolded. The sentence would have come out something like this. "Mumu some people can't even write properly it's not why did they molestation her, its why did they molestation her". Thank God I let the observation slide all this while if not I for just fool myself grin. @ ahampolo are you being sarcastic?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Curious / Online Publishing/Blogging Course And Certification / Shadows From The Past....[The Past Came Haunting]-- A Short Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.