Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,877 members, 7,938,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 09:24 AM

Mummy’s Wednesday: What Is The Best Way To Discipline A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mummy’s Wednesday: What Is The Best Way To Discipline A Child? (734 Views)

Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Would you step in to discipline a child that isn't yours like this man did?Video / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mummy’s Wednesday: What Is The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by fynejess: 11:28am On Oct 31, 2012
We are mothers and truth be told, raising a child is not a task for the fickle minded especially when that child is not a quiet one but a hyperactive human being.

It gets to that point when they have stopped being infants and graduated to toddlers and preschoolers; then it’s time for some disciplinary measures to be put in place. A saying goes, train up a child in the way that he should go and when he grows up, he will not depart from it. Opinions of parents differ as to when to start disciplining a child.

While some have claimed that they started teaching their babies right from wrong as early as 2 weeks old, others believe discipline should properly commence by 6 months. It varies from one parent to another but hey, do it as it works for you so long as you don’t get it done late.

Another question that has come in with parents is the mode of discipline. A woman complained on Babycenter website that when she’s with her daughter and she does something that needs disciplining, she usually gives her time-outs but she is worried that her husband resorts to spanking the child. She is also more worried of the fact that she feels he should not spank her but can’t say because she is his daughter too.

Many people shared their views with responses below…

Mum A: I see nothing wrong with a little spanking every once in a while. My children are 3 and 5 and extremely well behaved. Spanking is a last resort; however they both know that if they don't listen after a time out in the corner, then the spanking comes next. Yes my children are scared of the spanking punishment, but isn't that the point?

After a time out or a spanking my husband and I always talk to them about why they got punished. Not once did they not understand what they did wrong or why they got spanked. Neither of my children EVER hit, push nor bully any other children or each other as a result of spanking. They know that spanking and time-outs are what grown-ups do to misbehaving children and that they should never hit anyone out of anger. Our spankings are never hard and never leave a mark. It's just the thought that upsets them.

There is nothing wrong with a child fearing their parents if they do something wrong. If they didn't have some sort of fear, then they wouldn't care whether or not what they are doing is wrong. If adults didn't fear authority, then what is preventing from breaking the law? I think I would laugh if a police officer or judge talked to me calmly after breaking the law and just gave a time out in my room where I could comfortably watch tv and relax. Come to think of it I think that would be kind of nice...a chance to do what I wanted. We never spank hard and like I said, it's rare, but they know it's there.

My kids know they are loved, as we show them every day and unconditionally. I think society is becoming way to soft on misbehaving children, that’s why you always see kids in the store stamping their feet and throwing a temper tantrum because they don't get what they want. They know as soon as they get home they get their nice little punishment in their cozy little room, in cozy little bed and may even get a short nap out of the deal. My son acted up once in the store and never did it again, and yes he never did it again out of fear(ooo theres that bad word again) of getting a spanking when we get home. Now every time they are good in the store they know that there is chocolate milk and cookies at the end of the rainbow.

Mum B: I noticed that my husband disciplines based on how he was raised as a child. I didn't like the way I was disciplined as a child ...

Read the rest and please share your experience here [http://jess2-chinwe..com/2012/10/mummys-wednesday-what-is-best-way-to.html]

(1) (Reply)

Deteriorating Morals In The Modern Child / My Little Niece / Native Or English,what Language Will Your Baby Learn First?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.