Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,259 members, 7,943,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 05:53 PM

Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job (20627 Views)

Graduate -why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job - / Meet Some Of Dangote Truck Drivers / Giving Up Banking For London South Bank University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by kawkab: 11:37am On Nov 12, 2012
We should all read the write up properly. The guy did not leave a banking Job for the Dangote truck driving job like the title of the post suggested. He was faced with option of him or his wife resigning from their banking job because both cannot work in the same bank.

I believe if he was still working in a bank then he may not have accepted the Dangote truck driving job.

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by zubino(m): 11:55am On Nov 12, 2012
WHAT CAN I SAY? IF THIS IS REALLY TRUE, THEN THUMPS UP TO THIS GUY. I HOPE U FIND SATISFYING CAREER WITH THEM. GOODLUCK.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by sundaybam(m): 12:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
Just drive slowly because life no get duplicate o
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by LemonBoy1: 12:58pm On Nov 12, 2012
IYA NGBALI: how long is the some times?I hope its not eternity?

a mileage of 300,000
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by gen2briz(m): 1:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
I hope say the guy wife no be marketer for the bank..... cos if the wife be marketer hummmm I no talk ooo
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Crownvilla(m): 2:27pm On Nov 12, 2012
@ all

I read an internet newspaper article (I think the Punch but can't remember for sure) last week which quoted Dangote saying that the basic salary would be N300,000 (300K) per month.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by POLICECAP: 2:32pm On Nov 12, 2012
slap1: From bank to truck driving. Your skin texture go change o, but so will your income, for the good.

D trucks r digitalized with amana(AC) pumping.. grin
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by staaari: 2:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
Good for him. But the point is if all he wanted to be was a truck driver.. why go Uni? waste all these years, money...

This story is a bit fishy!!!

By now, he would have had a big truck company for himself.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by AjanleKoko: 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2012
Why is Dangote courting so much publicity over this truck driver shyte?
What's the real angle here?
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Emmy9898: 3:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
grin
mu2sa2: What's first degree, masters or PhD? Just a piece of paper. It's the stuff in your head that matters. Kudos to the fellows that hav taken up this challenge from Dangote for their pioneering spirit. this job gives u independence and u make more money than any organisation(govt or private)will pay u. You hav a lot of free time at your disposal- eg Lagos to PH maybe 30 hrs, u lodge at a choice hotel for a day or two (u can afford it now), return to ur family in lagos for 2-3 days before another trip. The trucks are fully air-conditioned and very comfortable to drive. In fact this job will be fun.

I think I must talk now. This is getting too much.

Bros, why are you and Mr Dangote jittery whenever you hear the word Masters Degree, or PhD ? grin grin grin

Why has Mr. Dangote flooded Nairaland with haters of Masters Degrees and PhD's to advertise his truck business for him ? grin grin grin

Now, bros, pay particular attention to this question: Did Mr. Dangote give a reason why he decided to tell us that PhD's and Master's Degree holders applied for his jobs? No! No! No! He did NOT! People like you on this forum simply assumed that you know the reasons, and based on your false assumptions, you keep on making funny comments.

Bros, I learnt we are over 150 million people in Nigeria. You seem to be an expert on the attitude to paid jobs of PhD's and Master's degree holders in Nigeria. How did you acquire this rare expert knowledge in a country that conducts very few national surveys? Or are you generalising from your experience about Peter and Agnes in your neighbourhood?

Bros, another "QUESION" grin grin Do you know that individuals have different risk preferences?. Now, since this is a technical phrase, let me explain. It means, for example, that you may be prepared to put your one million naira in the Nigerian stock exchange, but I will not be prepared to do that because, the fear I have of losing my money, is much more than yours. OK? Now "fastbackwards" to Dangote trucks. grin grin Can you now understand that a PhD holder may need a job, may not be lazy, but may not be prepared to take the Dangote job, simply because the risks involved in that job, particularly the current conditions of Nigerian roads, may be unacceptable to him or her?

Anyway, I think I should stop here. I have made my point. Dangote is not a saint. He is simply a business man, as shrewd as they come. What he has done recently is use the unfortunate plight of some PhD and Master's degree holders to advertise his business on Nairaland. I find that unhelpful, unnecessary, and slightly disrespecful.

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Curiouscity(m): 3:38pm On Nov 12, 2012
I still find it hard to believe that only graduates in Nigeria can be responsible truck drivers.
Why is the emphasis on graduates and not on people with sane mind? Can't a secondary school leaver
be trained in this institute to be a responsible truck driver who value other road users?

I weep for Nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by bigmaut: 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
also tell dango to help us fix d nigerian roads which remain a death traps or passage of death
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by kpencheruwe: 3:59pm On Nov 12, 2012
سحيميظل: Leave a 180k job where I sit in d office all day, with AC for one that pays 80k under harsh conditions, hmmm...

please he only accept the Dangote stuff when all effort to land another white collar job failed. Any how congratulation dude .
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by jonath0012(m): 4:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
Curious_city: I still find it hard to believe that only graduates in Nigeria can be responsible truck drivers.
Why is the emphasis on graduates and not on people with sane mind? Can't a secondary school leaver
be trained in this institute to be a responsible truck driver who value other road users?

I weep for Nigeria!!!

bros, Dangote just wants to mock our educational system. soon he may want the service of professors as cleaners in his apartment
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by leon25aug: 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2012
Me think you left the bank for ur wife and got this one when u'v got non. If u save well enough i knw u'll still leave 9ja. U're jst giving us false ginger. I dey vex.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by 1920MaMa: 4:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
U guys should free the dude jor! the bible says do not despise the day of little beginnings. would you rather have him take to robbery, kidnapping and all sorts of crime all in a bid to make ends meet? abeg make una leave the guy. if he comes to NL now to seek for help cos he cannot take care of his family, u will see all manner of advice, now he's trying to make a living the best way he could, some of you are here making mockery of him. ok he has the certificate, has it been putting food on his table since he left the banking job? yes, the job is risky, but life itself is also a risk. atleast with the job, he'll be able to take care of his family with his respect intact, or havn't you heard that finance is the number one cause of problems in most marriages? think guys!
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 12, 2012
fatdon2:

www.247nigerianewsupdate.com/dangote-truck-drivers-why-i-left-banking-job-to-be-a-truck-driver-ph-d-holder/
well,u didnt leave d bank to drive truck...but as a jobless man without work u decided to bcom a driva...... I am sure u wouldnt if u had oda choice......but i luv ur spirit.......manage dz 1, God will uplift u
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Curiouscity(m): 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
jonath0012:

bros, Dangote just wants to mock our educational system. soon he may want the service of professors as cleaners in his apartment

Yet people are here clapping for him. I value dignity of labor, but the way we Nigerians are doing, there is no hope for
those who can't go to the four walls of the University.
Everyone cannot be graduates, that is why we have skills like drivers,welders, masons etc. In oil coys Nigerian university graduates are welders while high school graduate are doing same job in other parts of the world.

I repeat, I WEEP FOR NIGERIA and HER YOUTHS
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by SailorXY: 6:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
Evie007: Those dangote drivers are being paid 300k minus allowances on please do they take female drivers?
u'll seriously risk ur life driving trucks all over Nigeria for 300k? more power to u undecided
@topic, a graduate should not be reduced to such depths just because our nation is this bad. Driving trucks doesnt just fit in with all the toiling to acquire knowledge over the years, its not just about money mehn!! *u won't chew concrete because u haven't seen groundnuts yet*
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Curiouscity(m): 6:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
And to think that Dangote is a member of GEJ economic team tells us what plans they are having for our future.
Very soon, he will recommend this for the FG to implement as a way to reduce employment.

Up Nigeria !!!!
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Emmy9898: 6:28pm On Nov 12, 2012
jonath0012:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by mkoabiola: 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
Curious_city: And to think that Dangote is a member of GEJ economic team tells us what plans they are having for our future.
Very soon, he will recommend this for the FG to implement as a way to reduce employment.

Up Nigeria !!!!
U av jus made a cogent point.
Very soon Gej and hs cohort wil come up with any hw policy to b embrace bt gradutes all on d name of unemployment.
I Won't b surprise if GEJ shud mention Dangote truck driving as1 of hs TRANSFORMATION AGENDA sinc Dangote belongs to Gej ecenomic team.
Obasanjo has said it ,dere may b revolution owing to ds unemployment,which I blv will soon happn.well,if u ar waitin for d gvt to gv u job ,u ar on a long tin.
I will nva wait for d govt cos dey don't av d youths in mind.
Transformation agenda to truck agenda.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Emmy9898: 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2012
Curious_city: And to think that Dangote is a member of GEJ economic team tells us what plans they are having for our future.

Up Nigeria !!!!

My dear, you are miles ahead of me. I didn't know that Dangote is a member of GEJ Economic team.

But to be honest, I never ceased to be suspicious of the tone of some of the comments here. From the comments, it seemed to me that all one has to do to be instantly crowned a hero on Nairaland, is to announce that one has just accepted a Dangote truck driving job. grin grin grin

Anyway, I am politically naive, but I do share your suspicions.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Ninapha(f): 7:30pm On Nov 12, 2012
victorD3: I know someone that left first Bank too because he married his colleague and he is struggling like a church rat now. Job is very hard to get in Nigeria so its high time people consider many options before taking some action.
. And why wd d man suffer like a church rat as u claimed. The wife is still working and i suppose if there is gud understanding, d husband cd start a business. For any of d couple to resign means they are both core staff. The man does not hv gud plans joor or he wants to hv a big business lyk dangote. What did he do with his payoff, abeg. Even d wife's salary shd be gud to carry them comfortably.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Smooyis(m): 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2012
An empty hand is d devils workshop. Wise of u not to give satan a chance by being job selective. Many have been jobless for years because they are too proud and neva want to start little. They think of what others would say if they venture into certain lowly areas. And such they remain in one place for years. I congratulate u broda for the true naija spirit of neva say die in u. And i believe u and ur graduate co-drivers will make it. Because u will not indulge in those vices d illiterate ones do because u kno that u have a future. And like to say ur wife is a lucky woman to have someone like u. Goodluck sir.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Curiouscity(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2012
Emmy9898:

My dear, you are miles ahead of me. I didn't know that Dangote is a member of GEJ Economic team.

But to be honest, I never ceased to be suspicious of the tone of some of the comments here. From the comments, it seemed to me that all one has to do to be instantly crowned a hero on Nairaland, is to announce that one has just accepted a Dangote truck driving job. grin grin grin

Anyway, I am politically naive, but I do share your suspicions.

You can read the news here:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-expands-economic-management-team/96765/

He has been there since last year.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Curiouscity(m): 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
Smooyis: An empty hand is d devils workshop. Wise of u not to give satan a chance by being job selective. Many have been jobless for years because they are too proud and neva want to start little. They think of what others would say if they venture into certain lowly areas. And such they remain in one place for years. I congratulate u broda for the true naija spirit of neva say die in u. And i believe u and ur graduate co-drivers will make it. Because u will not indulge in those vices d illiterate ones do because u kno that u have a future. And like to say ur wife is a lucky woman to have someone like u. Goodluck sir.

Hello there, I would not and I cannot castigate anyone(graduate, undergraduate abi over-graduate) who chooses to do any type of job to eke out livelihood. I have a circle of friends who engage in any form
of work. But my pains is in the arrogance that is being displayed by the employer. Employing graduate(and I read an article where he claimed some of the trainee are PhD's) as truck driver is what we are clapping for a man who uses all connection to FG to kill honest competition?. Now this is the mentality of a member of the National Economic Team of the FG. Have you ever heard of unskilled and semi-skilled labor? If he employs graduates with all amount of excitement, what happens to the SSC holders, others with City and Guild? Are they not suppose to be covered in their economic plan?
Many graduates are running transport services in Nigeria(Okada, taxi, boat/ferries), this is out of no other means. But for an employer of Dangote's level to make make HND/BSc the minimum qualification for driving
his trucks leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I have been a loud advocate for the Nigerian project, but I am beginning to have a rethink.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Redstone(m): 8:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
what make of trucks are we talking about here?. I hope it is not china trucks o. The last time. I checked, made in china items don't last for more than a year o. I hope by then something will still be left on the trucks for his guys to really be referred to as truck or junk owners. I suggest Benz or man diesel trucks. Anyway, half bread is better than non sha.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by LblaqueHaven(m): 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
سحيميظل: Leave a 180k job where I sit in d office all day, with AC for one that pays 80k under harsh conditions, hmmm...
but after sitting under your AC, i want you to calculate number of years you'll nid to work b4 u can buy all d tyres of a big truck? Nt to talk of you buying truck wey him go colet free of charge afta covering sum distance, i no go lie u , u go borow moni 4rm cooperative societies and banks to buy ur own truck wit dt ur 180k job.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Hypraise(f): 9:59pm On Nov 12, 2012
Dangote has mocked Nigerian education just like d western countries have done. Whose business is it if 'former heads of states are his gatemen'? Why is he announcing PhD and Masters holders as his drivers if he isnt being proud or mocking d system. I dont blame him sha, its d press men who went to ask him 'why' and 'what' that i blame. He cld have quietly recruited as he's often done instead of making it a national debate topic. Big deal! We shld start frying stones abi?
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Emmy9898: 10:27pm On Nov 12, 2012
Curious_city:

You can read the news here:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-expands-economic-management-team/96765/

He has been there since last year.

Thanks, bro.,

Time will tell whether there is a relationship between his current truck driving employment campaign and his membership of the President's Economic team.
Re: Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job by Sogo10: 10:02am On Nov 13, 2012
I think i will rather keep mah mouth shut.dan cum here n discourage pple.sum pple no just get sense.u tink is funny,go 2 market and still 10naira groundnut,let me know after wey dey don put petrol 4 ur head.awon ode

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Staff Of Rivers Development Agency Protest Over 24months Salary Owed By Wike(pix / Lose Weight Or You Risk Losing Your Job. Customs Boss Charge Officers / Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.