Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,036 members, 7,909,816 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 01:13 PM

My Experience With Swindlers - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience With Swindlers (13927 Views)

My Experience With Two Thieves Tonight :-- / My Experience With "One Chance". Share Yours / My Experience With A Police Man Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem: ^^^ I don't think its only lagos o! It happens almost everywhere.my dear am still in great shock! I no know if na juju abi another thing.smh
my dear, is it magic, at what point did they short change you after you counted the money?
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by lawbabs: 2:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
This is true. I have had my own bitter pill. It was right at the entrance of Tantalizers opposite Alade market on Allen Avenue in 2009. 20k suddenly disappeared from the money I counted in their presence and my driver. It was like a dream. I felt so stupid and used. The painful thing is that it didn't take too long before I discovered that the money was lighter the value I counted. As soon as I ran back to the location, they were gone. It is strange but real.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Koolking(m): 2:42pm On Nov 13, 2012
Nuzo':
Oh...I thought she meant SWINGERS. sad

Now, the almost fading memories of Ikpodo girls and boys slowly creep back. cool I don't know if its a good thing to remember. undecided

See where your mind is going...not Ikpodo swingers but swindlers(419ers).

I fell for these guys' tricks on Allen. It was a bad experience
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
lawbabs: This is true. I have had my own bitter pill. It was right at the entrance of Tantalizers opposite Alade market on Allen Avenue in 2009. 20k suddenly disappeared from the money I counted in their presence and my driver. It was like a dream. I felt so stupid and used. The painful thing is that it didn't take too long before I discovered that the money was lighter the value I counted. As soon as I ran back to the location, they were gone. It is strange but real.
what are you saying, that these guys contort money you are holding in your hands?
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by sundaybam(m): 2:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
emyibe: you even dey lucky say 20k remain.Those guys are the good ones oh

Bad boy.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by denitro(m): 2:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
Check out this thread.. Lots of eye witness accounts.
https://www.nairaland.com/249720/new-419-method-dont-exchange

One of the notes in the bundle has been conjured or something.
They give you the money, you count, its one note short.
They give you the note that will complete the amount, you hand over
your dollar and leave.
Some metres away, you money is gone by half.
Pure evil..
I experienced it two years ago.
I changed $1000 and was given like N155,000+
I counted it and the bundle of N1,000 of 100 (N100,000) was short by 1 note
and the other bundle of N1,000 of 55 was also short by 1 note
the guy gave me 2 N1,000 to complete the money.
I gave him my dollars and left.
Got home and found out the money like N90,000+.
I wept.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
It has happened to someone I know before. In his own case, he was still with them after counting for more than 5times, a fraction kept disappearing as he kept counting. I held one of the men and didn't let go. Ofcourse my friend is a black belter .
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
Do not receive cash without it going through the counting machine, they simply fold notes into half and you count the edges. If you must count by hand, make sure you see whole length of notes when counting.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by agog: 3:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
I too have been a victim before. It happened in March 2011. I opened a dollar account with GTBank and wanted to fund it. So I went to Allen with intent of entering a shop and buy the dollar. But along the way I met these 2 guys whose rates were cheaper @N150 while bank rate was about N158. So I agreed to the offer to buy 200 dollars. I brought 30000 and gave to them. They counted it and one of them now told me that they only have one-dollar notes with them and if I would take that. I said no and became suspicious. I asked for my money back, counted and pocketed it thanking God that I didn't fall into scammer's hand. I boarded a bus to Ikeja. Lo, before I got down I felt in my pocket that d money has reduced. Lo when I counted it it reamins 19k. In disbelief I counted again, this time 15 pieces remaining(15k)!! At this time I started crying openly in Ikeja and calling on God cos I don't know what can happen to me next. To cut it short, I lost 15k to d scammers and since then I have learned my lesson albeit the hard way.
WARNING: Never patronize a road side BDC.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by jadina(f): 3:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
she counted the money correctly. it has happened to me too. they have a way of holding the money and counting it with some fingers in between which they use to deftly remove the counted part. if you are not aware of this antic, you will fall a victim

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Wallie(m): 3:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
I traveled back home a few months ago with a lot of luggage so I had to get a porter (plus a few of his friends) when claiming my luggage. The porter was very friendly and helped me get through customs with zero hassle. On getting outside, I needed some naira to give out before my driver showed up and I was approached by a guy that claimed to change dollars. As I was reaching into my pocket, the porter told me right in front of the guy not to change any money.

A mini argument ensued and the guy angrily walked away, cursing at the porter! The porter then told me that regardless of how many times I counted the money given to me, it will come up short by the time the guy leaves. I remember thinking that it can never happen but listening to you guys, I’m glad I listened to the porter!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mrrock: 3:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
I often change money there myself but would walk into the bureau de change.
But it's an old trick. The money they gave you at first was complete. Then they will quickly change it. The second they gave you last which you assumed complete wasn't. You wouldn't understand me though.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by poweredcom(m): 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mugu don fall guyman wack no be new thing for naija
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by dnawah(m): 3:34pm On Nov 13, 2012
okpara ugo:

Can you live in Onitsha Osha and Lagos are similar places to live in. I love Aba(cool headed people).
nwa aba
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem:
Anytime I want to change dollars,I always go to this paricular bereau de change located at Allen Avenue to get the naira equivalent.Unluckily for me,last week wednesday,someone gave me 200 dollars and
I gave them the 200 dollars and left.just few steps away,I noticed the money was not bulky anymore.it was in 1000notes anyway.I felt something was wrong.I stopped and recounted the money only to find out that the money was in deficit! I was left with 20000naira.
!
I change money frequently at surah BDC after gtb near alade market on allen, when next i have hard currency i am going to the swindlers instead, i want to witness this magic u talked about

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Lucasbalo(m): 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
I have changed money hundred of times and nothing bad ever happened to me. Of course it did happen to my mum at Bristol hotel on martins street where they faked notes $400.00 of her money.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Tstark(m): 3:51pm On Nov 13, 2012
denitro: Check out this thread.. Lots of eye witness accounts.

your dollar and leave.
Pure evil..
I wept.

Stop talking trash, its not juju its a simple trick. If you recount the money before pocketing it u will catch them red handed. They rely on you counting it along with them and pocketing it afterwards to succeed.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Tstark(m): 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
mrrock: I often change money there myself but would walk into the bureau de change.
But it's an old trick. The money they gave you at first was complete. Then they will quickly change it. The second they gave you last which you assumed complete wasn't. You wouldn't
understand me though.

GBAM! Like i said before, if you recount the money before pocketing it they will either try it again and pretend as if it was a mistake, or they will collect their naira and walk off!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mko2005: 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
denitro: Check out this thread.. Lots of eye witness accounts.

your dollar and leave.
Pure evil..
I wept.
I think it's exactly what they do.If you count first time,it will be incomplete and they add an extra note just to complete it.From there,everything start to happen.They did it exactly that way with me but did not succeed eventually cos i got my money back after coming back to threaten them.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by xtayle(m): 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
If you go there next time, whether in bureau d change or not, make sure you are dealing with convincing hausa. Those people that swindled you are Yoruba guys. Dont get it twisted. am Yoruba. Idowu is my Name. But they did it to me when I was preparing for my wedding.I lost close to N50k and the attraction was they spoke Yoruba. I left Yaro my age-long money-changer and dealt by the road side.

I learned my lesson hard that day.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by madjune(m): 3:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
I know the scam. They actually count some notes twice or thrice. To beat them, make sure you are given 1,000 notes and more importantly, slowly count them one by one. Of cos, they will call off the deal if you start counting it one by one.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by ciphoenix: 3:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
i think i get the drift now. They count FIRST, you count second, and they do the last count as a casual confirmation. Thats makes you unsuspicious. And they swipe some notes while doing the last count. WOW, I HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM. THOSE GUYS ARE GENIUSES
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by penfold(m): 3:58pm On Nov 13, 2012
Its no magic or juju,its just sleight of hands...they train using cards..i mean d regular playing cards,their hands move so fast that u don't see anything..u are distracted by the right hand while d left is doing something else..If u need to change money in ikeja,surah or Inside lagos airport hotel are authentic..thats why those allen/alade market people have refused to have a police station there and why armed robbers kill them regularly!!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by lawbabs: 4:02pm On Nov 13, 2012
blink182: what are you saying, that these guys contort money you are holding in your hands?

U know it is very easy to critcize pple if you ve never been a victim. Are u trying to say, we re lying? The purpose of this thread, I guess, is to educate you so that it doesn't happen to you. If you find it hard to believe, then take your dollars to Allen and get a roadside BDC guy to change it to naira.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mko2005: 4:13pm On Nov 13, 2012
Tstark:

Stop talking trash, its not juju its a simple trick. If you recount the money before pocketing it u will catch them red handed. They rely on you counting it along with them and pocketing it afterwards to succeed.
For me,i counted the first time and it was shorting one note and they collected the money,recounted it and added the missing one note.I collected it and recounted and it was complete but just to be double sure to avoid stories,i decided to count the second time havin collected the supposedly complete cash from them.On counting the second time,it was complete and the guy said i should stop exposing money like that and i pocketed it immediately since i was dead sure that the money was complete.On the move to my destination,i just decided to count the money for the 3rd time and i discovered that about 8k has........ But i went bak to them and collected my cash.
Whether na juju or na psychology abi na hypnotize,i know say there is something evil about what they do.
We just have to be careful and not trust any one .

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by temodent(m): 4:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
You are lucky you still got some change left, anyway people should beware they are not only around the airport hotel but also at the International Airport, Ikeja always lurking around ,I once fell victim but was quite lucky when I raised an alarm some police task force came to my rescue and was able to retrieve my money in full but not without having to settle the policemen as they demanded settlement immediately, Nigeria factor you know.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mko2005: 4:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
ciphoenix: i think i get the drift now. They count FIRST, you count second, and they do the last count as a casual confirmation. Thats makes you unsuspicious. And they swipe some notes while doing the last count. WOW, I HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM. THOSE GUYS ARE GENIUSES
EVIL genius you mean ?
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by gbanikiti(m): 4:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
blink182: my dear, is it magic, at what point did they short change you after you counted the money?
my dear its like a shock o! I counted the money twice and they also did.infact am just confused.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by eledalo: 4:19pm On Nov 13, 2012
You go road side money changer come dey scream SWINDLER! Bank no dey your area? Or bureau de change don close for Lagos? Abeg comot for road before I clear you with my recently banned Okada.
*Hiss na 200 dollars you dey change sef wey u dey scream? U never see money before
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by gbanikiti(m): 4:22pm On Nov 13, 2012
Horayce:
I change money frequently at surah BDC after gtb near alade market on allen, when next i have hard currency i am going to the swindlers instead, i want to witness this magic u talked about
yeah! I always change at SULAH.but I don't know why I was so lazy to go there after collecting the dollars from UBA.meeehn! I really cried that day.hmmm! Abeg no try am o!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by gbanikiti(m): 4:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
naturalwaves: @Berem. Who counted the money last? You or the Swindlers? So that we can know if it is a trick or Jazz.
they counted it last.I haven't put the money yet in my bag before I felt something strange had happened.but I thank God I have gotten more money to replace my loss.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by feathers007: 4:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
ciphoenix: them give you 32k for hand. The thing later turn 20k. Abi? I no understand that part well
like someone mentioned above, they are very good with finger and arm tricks. Some of them have devices under there long clothes.
xtayle: If you go there next time, whether in bureau d change or not, make sure you are dealing with convincing hausa. Those people that swindled you are Yoruba guys. Dont get it twisted. am Yoruba. Idowu is my Name. But they did it to me when I was preparing for my wedding.I lost close to N50k and the attraction was they spoke Yoruba. I left Yaro my age-long money-changer and dealt by the road side.

I learned my lesson hard that day.
[quote author=ciphoenix][/quote]

haba, It's not only Yoruba guys that are involved. My mum was swindled by Hausa guys on Lagos island. She wanted to change her pounds to naira, they agreed on 252, the aboki now gave her cash equivalent to 220. Ny mum says she doesn't want to transact business with him as that was not the amount they both agreed to. He was still holding the pounds all along, my mum collected the same money from him only for her to realize that the pounds had been swapped to fake ones when she got home.
I have changed pounds several times with Yoruba guys outside the Lagos airport hotel beside the petrol station and never been swindled.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Reveals How Her Bike Rider Set Her Up For Robbery In Lagos (Photos) / 45-Year-Old Woman Raped, Killed In Ondo Community / Man, 78, Defiles A 6 Year Old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.