Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,867 members, 7,973,004 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 04:57 AM

My Experience With Swindlers - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Experience With Swindlers (14011 Views)

My Experience With Two Thieves Tonight :-- / My Experience With "One Chance". Share Yours / My Experience With A Police Man Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by keneri(m): 4:56pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem: Anytime I want to change dollars,I always go to this paricular bereau de change located at Allen Avenue to get the naira equivalent.Unluckily for me,last week wednesday,someone gave me 200 dollars and I decided to go change it at the same place.

Instead of me to change the money at my usual place,I decided to change it with a guy I met at the road side.the guy told me its 157naira to a dollar.I told him 160naira which he agreed.after giving me 32000naira,I counted it twice and they too counted it.

I gave them the 200 dollars and left.just few steps away,I noticed the money was not bulky anymore.it was in 1000notes anyway.I felt something was wrong.I stopped and recounted the money only to find out that the money was in deficit! I was left with 20000naira.

I screamed and when I turned back,I couldn't find the swindlers.they were gone! I went back and asked the traders around that place if they saw the guy and his friend,they said they didn't.a security man I met there told me they are swindlers and that is how they swindle people who come to change dollars.I was furious!

The security guy told me to get a policeman to help me out.Police ke? Long process,writing statement,I felt it won't be necessary.I just left and forgot about it.

I don't know if there are other people who also have witnessed such incident,but people should beware of changing hard currency especially with men who walk along the road on allen avenue.

They are SWINDLERS! They hurriedly meet you with calculator and ask if you wanna change money.please ignore them!

My dear Berem you are not alone on this matter. I had exactly the same experience at that SAME location on Allen, close to Allen roundabout. I went to my bank GTB to change some money, about 200 pounds. I was told to go and do such outside. So I went to some guy standing outside. After changing the money, i counted it, it was about 30k. Deep within me, I suspected the money will disappear, so I held it firmly in my hands and started walking very fast to deposit it with GTB on Allen, as I was approaching the bank security door, the money bundle suddenly became thin. As at the time I recounted it to make the deposit, I saw only 17k. The ugly experience is very REAL. Since then, I now change my money at designated Bureau de Exchange offices.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Michky: 5:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
yemmight: You see. Some people don't just learn. I am very certain those roadside guys would have increased the rates that make it more attractive but you see we should always think of consequences. Who are you going to hold responsible for the wrong doing? In that Airport Hotel, there are legit, credible bureau d change and they have been there for donkey years so why would you do your business by roadside? Why?
GREED!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by shawndhabi: 5:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
you must be speaking the truth.....
a friend of mine told me this same story a month ago but i discarded the story cos he's always high on star lager beer.......he also mentioned somewhere around alade market on allen avenue.....he drove there, did the exchange and counted it several times only to discover some parts were missing, by the time he drove back.....he couldn't find the guys and people told him its a normal occurrence around there.....

my question is - why don't these people warn the victims before or during these evil transactions? i am beginning to think these sympathisers are part of the gang! their role is to slow down the victims with talking - to create enough time for the criminals to run and hide! these people can be caught - next time, station about 20 men around the area and play along with the rogues......walk away and let your men follow them and arrest them! [/quote]

Well last month i wanted to change about 5000usd at the same alade market and i met some road side guys who agreed to 160 (of which i don check for airport before and na 157), i don tire to write for english abeg. So i come tell the guys make dem follow me go bank as the money would be big so i go just lodge am for account. The guy asked for the dollars, I gave him to count, he sent the other guy to go bring the naira equivalent. As a sharp guy as i be wey don work hard for that dollars, i come see the guy commot out of the dollars pocket am. so he wanted to return the dollars and probably say he is coming. I come tell am make e bring at that money from e pocket before i alert security men from the bank. I just had mnercy on him and told him to go look bush abeg. The best place to change dollars na for that bureau d change for MM2 abeg.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by shawndhabi: 5:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
Its a very simple trick people. the money doesn't disappear. nor be magic.

Let me try and explain the logic. First of all their prices (when i say their i mean the swindlers) are always slightly higher to lure customers and they always give you the right amount at first. The trick is they count it and allow you count it. then before you bring the dollars, they quickly remove a small amount from the bundle to make up for their high prices. If you are smart to catch them, they would form they don't have enough naira and tell you to check somewhere else. If you wanna overcome them, just ask them to follow you to the bank and handle the money to the bank cashiers themselves, make i see how the money wan take disappear.
Its just all about fast hands.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Michky: 5:22pm On Nov 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

For me,i counted the first time and it was shorting one note and they collected the money,recounted it and added the missing one note.I collected it and recounted and it was complete but just to be double sure to avoid stories,i decided to count the second time havin collected the supposedly complete cash from them.On counting the second time,it was complete and the guy said i should stop exposing money like that and i pocketed it immediately since i was dead sure that the money was complete.On the move to my destination,i just decided to count the money for the 3rd time and i discovered that about 8k has........ But i went bak to them and collected my cash.
Whether na juju or na psychology abi na hypnotize,i know say there is something evil about what they do.
We just have to be careful and not trust any one .

jadina: she counted the money correctly. it has happened to me too. they have a way of holding the money and counting it with some fingers in between which they use to deftly remove the counted part. if you are not aware of this antic, you will fall a victim

I think its pure magic. Perhaps both. Take it or leave it.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2012
I was in ur shoes last year when i collected a dollar refund from trading el agency on that same road at salvation b/s n decided to change it there at d front of Alade mkt. to cut d long story short i was swindled 2 d same way even after taken them 2 d front of 1 of d banks on dat road after been apprehensive abt d move. it was tnose police at d front of Alade mkt dat helped me recover part of my money from those guys after promising 2 settle them 10k out of d money.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by aieromon(m): 5:44pm On Nov 13, 2012
1. If you intend changing any money in Ikeja,kindly enter Alade market and visit any of the Hausa sheds.

2. Once you are a confirmed client,collect their complimentary card. Nowadays they offer services of meeting you in the bank with the agreed sum. Almost all the banks are available in the Ikeja axis and they will be willing to follow you especially if the amount is huge.

OP, I feel your loss and even though I have heard these stories time and again,I have never experienced such.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Fhemmmy: 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
All these would have been preventable if the govt would allow the banks to sell currency and buy to anyone that needs to buy with ease and we wont have to be standing by the roadside to be buying money and selling money.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by ciphoenix: 5:56pm On Nov 13, 2012
m.k.o2005:

EVIL genius you mean ?
exactly
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by weaseloo: 5:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
There is no magic or juju inside this. We need to open our eyes more to realise that you do not have to fear the so called juju. Let me ask, when such things happen abroad say you get swindled in Rome, do they use the same kind of juju that we use? Someone who knows exactly how they make your money reduce after pocketing it should tell us, educate us abeg, so that we become enlightened. Forget this juju story. 
@OP They must be doing something physical to take or steal your money. Just that you don't know the trick they used. If you knew, you would watch out for it.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
Sorry to know you are a victim of this swindlers. I once fell victim to this criminals but they paid back in the hard way. I was lucky to have photocopies of the dollars from the bank. On getting to the aboki they swapped my dollars to fake and gave fake dollars to me ...telling me there is no cash on ground. Lo and behold I was having Five Hundred Dollars all fake with me. I compared the dollars with my photocopy and they were all different.

Going back, they have all disappeared. I called my Uncle who is a Military personnel..and he ordered his Boys and they raid all the aboki they set their eyes on. In total 20 Abokis were raided and they bail themselves with 500 Dollars each or you will be left in the Guard Room with Torture....So much money to make at the end of the day...Thank God for my Uncle who came to my rescue and he made good money from it with his boys...I got my Original Money of 500 Dollars.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by silayo2008: 6:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
It happen to me in 2008, at that same Allen Junction. It happen that after I changed the money beside the road, we counted the money and it was complete. Before I get to that GTBank in that same vicinity, the money is already shot of 20K. It was a bad experience. Please beware and police should do something about this ugly occurrence.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by gregoma(m): 6:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
Truth be told. I had a similar experience on awolowo road by mobil not far from allen avenue also. These guys are cunn men and best at the act no juju involved i can confirm that. When u approach them they agree to your rate with little hesitation and get you the money but short of one or two pieces. when u complain they ask u refund the money back to them in the process of recounting they remove more and agree to your stance and form adding the shortfall back. You living happy unaware u have been scammed. I'm speaking from real experience.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by zarkknight(m): 6:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
It happened to me too in 2008 outside alade market. I planned on changing wot I had with me to $200, I think the naira equivalent then was about N30000, I parked outside the market and two yoruba guys(not being tribalistic, I am yoruba myself) came to ask if I wanted to buy dollars, we negotiated the Exchange rate, reached an agreement, they asked for my money to count, I refused, but they said they wont run away with my money, they gave me a bundle of 500 naira notes to hold as a sign they won't run away with the money, they counted my money right in my eyes, returned it to me and said they were no longer doing business wit me that they couldn't sell at the Exchange rate I negotiated with them, they left afterwards. I went inside to meet the hausas who had offices inside alade market, it was in the process of buying dollars from them, I realized those rogues had taken N12,000 from my money, how they did it still remains a mystery. I couldn't believe that happened to me with my street credibility, a lesson to others, don't transact with those guys outside the market, and count your money as soon as they give it back to you.....nice one poster!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by otokx(m): 6:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Real drama, should be a lesson to us all, deal with approved and recommended dealers and we have some here in Nairaland
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mkoabiola: 6:12pm On Nov 13, 2012
Dere is no juju cos some av spoken frm xperience.I was surprise ppu on NL could knw dier tricks.
Gbosa 10x to all guys who has reavealed dier secrets.
U guys av jus educated thiusands who may fall victim in future.
I arrested 1 of dier memba wit my military frnd,who hinted us d secret.
We beat hell out of hm dat day for duping me@yaba.he narrated hw dey dupe ppu who ar nt sharp or xtra careful.
Don't fall for increas in price jus cos N2 difference.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by AkpuNku2: 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2012
Take it or leave it, juju is involve
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
Akpu.Nku:
It's a simple trick they use. You will be amazed at the kind of tricks swindlers use and the usually feature most of it on a show called "HUSTLERS" on BBC entertainment.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Swindlers by babseg(m): 6:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
Akpu.Nku:
mko abiola: Dere is no juju cos some av spoken frm xperience.I was surprise ppu on NL could knw dier tricks.
Gbosa 10x to all guys who has reavealed dier secrets.
U guys av jus educated thiusands who may fall victim in future.
I arrested 1 of dier memba wit my military frnd,who hinted us d secret.
We beat hell out of hm dat day for duping me@yaba.he narrated hw dey dupe ppu who ar nt sharp or xtra careful.
Don't fall for increas in price jus cos N2 difference.

For me o. I am suspecting they are using something, may be hypnotism. A guy in one of these Europeans countries was arrested for hypnotizing cashiers or store attendants to steal their money. I watched the video those victms gave him the money willingly without guns or violence. all his victims said they cant remember what happened.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by babseg(m): 6:42pm On Nov 13, 2012
Brand_new:
It's a simple trick they use. You will be amazed at the kind of tricks swindlers use and the usually feature most of it on a show called "HUSTLERS" on BBC entertainment.

I know that program on BBC. but these guys are using juju. the oyinbos will call it hypnotism while the yorubas will call it Eshuju (blindfold)
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by AkpuNku2: 6:46pm On Nov 13, 2012
babseg:

I know that program on BBC. but these guys are using juju. the oyinbos will call it hypnotism while the yorubas will call it Eshuju (blindfold)

That is what am saying, how can you count your money last and left only to discover later, the money is not complete again
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
babseg:

BELIEVE ME IT'S NOT juju. T'S SIMPLY A TRICK THEY USED. YOU CAN CALL IT MAGIC IF YOU LIKE.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by babseg(m): 6:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
Akpu.Nku:

That is what am saying, how can you count your money last and left only to discover later, the money is not complete again

Do u know Derren Brown in UK a magician. I watched one of his programs where he was watching a guy for days to know his daily routine. He later hypnoitised this guy and asked him to withdraw £5000 from his bank account and gave it to him.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Angel778(f): 7:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
kollybay4u: I once hav that experience also, at akure to buy phone but ds cab just call to me and i entered but for me to kn that there was 4 men inside the cab and they said i shld sat at the front, not more than 3minutes i was told that they ar not going to that route again that i shld come down. But i just discovered that the money i put at my right pocket were disappeared like #700 and the money for the phone #30000 at the back of my pocket dnt disappear. I thank God!
Akure anoder terrible place where u'll found real 419. if u dnt knw how to walk, u might be stolen in broad day lite.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 13, 2012
There is a charm called "anobo" in Yoruba. It happens such that someone comes to buy goods from you and gives you money which you count and find to be complete. A short time later, you check the money and find that it has either completely vanished or less than what you yourself counted earlier. Ask traders in Naija markets and they will confirm this to you . The money that is involved are not ordinary notes. They are charmed.

Go to any market in Nigeria and ask any trader there and you can bet that it has happened him/her before.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by mexzony: 7:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Who counted the money last.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by AkpuNku2: 7:13pm On Nov 13, 2012
The one i believe that is not juju/charm is the swapping of your original dollar to fake one, but for money missing something behind it
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by babseg(m): 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2012
Akpu.Nku:
The one i believe that is not juju/charm is the swapping of your original dollar to fake one, but for money missing something behind it

yeah u r right. I have been a victim once and a similar experience. This one happened to me in 2003 around 11pm. i was sitting in front of a beer parlour ( note we were not drinking at all but was there to buy drinks for our big brother) with my cousin when a guy came, passed us and greeted. He later came out again chatted with us like 30sec but the last thing i remembered was that he threw his cap to the floor which was what i think triggered the hypnosis section.

I did not get what he was saying after the first 30 secs. I was like day dreaming half sleep and half awake, i was not myself. i did not know why shouted my cousin's name suddenly. This was the moment i came back to my senses and i discovered that the guy suddenly changed what he was saying about how his parents were fighting and they threw him out
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by DonPedro21(m): 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
berem: Anytime I want to change dollars,I always go to this paricular bereau de change located at Allen Avenue to get the naira equivalent.Unluckily for me,last week wednesday,someone gave me 200 dollars and I decided to go change it at the same place.

Instead of me to change the money at my usual place,I decided to change it with a guy I met at the road side.the guy told me its 157naira to a dollar.I told him 160naira which he agreed.after giving me 32000naira,I counted it twice and they too counted it.

I gave them the 200 dollars and left.just few steps away,I noticed the money was not bulky anymore.it was in 1000notes anyway.I felt something was wrong.I stopped and recounted the money only to find out that the money was in deficit! I was left with 20000naira.

I screamed and when I turned back,I couldn't find the swindlers.they were gone! I went back and asked the traders around that place if they saw the guy and his friend,they said they didn't.a security man I met there told me they are swindlers and that is how they swindle people who come to change dollars.I was furious!

The security guy told me to get a policeman to help me out.Police ke? Long process,writing statement,I felt it won't be necessary.I just left and forgot about it.

I don't know if there are other people who also have witnessed such incident,but people should beware of changing hard currency especially with men who walk along the road on allen avenue.

They are SWINDLERS! They hurriedly meet you with calculator and ask if you wanna change money.please ignore them!

Your mate dey win MTN Aeroplane u dey here dey ponder over 12k angry
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by quin9(f): 7:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
trae_z:

She didn't count well at first. They probably counted along and aloud with her at first shouting wrong figures/wrong maths, but she was too pleased at the bargain or the ease of transaction so it skipped her mind.

If she had discovered the shortage initially they would have probably apologized, completed the money and then wait for another try/maga.

People like u don't learn,dats plain Jazz,if u like count it a Million times,what of people who buy phones and it changes to fufu or stone b4 they get home?they didn't see well abi?....these things happens everyday dats Y a shop is always d best place to walk into and not some guy on d road side.
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by kelvincoll(m): 8:00pm On Nov 13, 2012
Kslib:
Woman dey get blockus again?? You suppose say "Abeg check your kpekus" not "blockus"...
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin laff wan tear ma belle here!
Re: My Experience With Swindlers by studman: 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
I sympathize with u.I have witnessed a similar incident at the MMA International wing.I think they use juju

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naval Ratings Assault Abiola Oduola Over Parking Space In Lagos / Student Jailed For Stealing BlackBerry In Ogun State / Gunmen Kill Pastor In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.