Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,468 members, 7,940,773 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 11:57 AM

Does Prayer Work? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Prayer Work? (2185 Views)

Does Prayer Really Works? / How Much Does Prayer Weigh? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 2:25am On Feb 13, 2008
bawomolo:

it is not easy to gauge, but there is a reason hospitals are beginning to use pets and a more conducive environment to keep their patients happy. less stress and optimism usually makes them feel better. of course positive thinking alone won't help, neither would prayer.

and how well have the pets worked for terminally ill patients? How well does "positive thinking" work for a cancer patient?
Can u use "positive energy" to will away the HIV virus?

What is ur proof that "positive thinking" works? Most of the "positive thinking" initiatives are mainly for terminally ill patients . . . meant to keep them happy for what is left of their miserable lives. So much for ur thinking.

That prayer has not worked for u does not mean it hasnt worked for others. There are lot of people here who will readily give u examples . . . at least i have . . . no point casting my pearls before swine in ur case.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 2:39am On Feb 13, 2008
and how well have the pets worked for terminally ill patients? How well does "positive thinking" work for a cancer patient?
Can u use "positive energy" to will away the HIV virus?

there is a reason terminally ill patients are terminally. they are going to die either way regardless of prayer. there iminent death can only be prolonge.

What is your proof that "positive thinking" works? Most of the "positive thinking" initiatives are mainly for terminally ill patients

most aren't, i don't know where u get this from. positive thinking has little to no effect on cancer patients. i'm talking about those suffering from tuberculosis or in rehabilitation etc.

There are lot of people here who will readily give u examples . . . at least i have . . . no point casting my pearls before swine in your case.

the insults are uncalled for but not unexpected. so what are ur examples?? does prayer heal terminal diseases.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 2:45am On Feb 13, 2008
how does positive thinking cure tuberculosis?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 2:46am On Feb 13, 2008
it doesn't, tuberculosis is cured using medication. where are ur examples??
Re: Does Prayer Work? by luvus: 8:52am On Feb 13, 2008
@all athiest
hi there, well i sat down to ask the rationale behind the question and wat i came to see is the athiest idea : God does not exist.

@christian
so please christians as you answer this thread remember, that their aim is to prove God does not exist hence prayer cannot work so let your answer be under the inspiration of The Spirit of God in you and not mere head knowledge.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 13, 2008
Bawomolo or Bawomol, whoever!

It is good to see that you are gradually bearing the fruit of your intent,

You obviously out to "convert" individuals to atheism or at least away from God.

First you contribute to defence of evolution, then you try and find errors and faults with the things of God!

It takes a lot of deceit and deception for you not to realise that the "fallen" one is using you via means of perverted logic to war against God and against His people.

-----------------

in answer to your question, YES PRAYER WORKS, !

Prayer is a form of verbal communication with God,

It is unfortunate that a lot of people classify prayer as mere "Requests from God", Yet still via prayer you can still communicate with God, without having request.

Our Lord God Almighty, is our Father who art in Heaven, and just like a son can communicate and discuss issues with his earthly father, likewise can we Christians communicate and discuss issues with our Heavenly Father.

----------------

Have you ever prayed before or is there someone that you know that has prayed before and who's prayer of request has not being answered.

it is written that we know what to pray about,

Also please note that God's ways are not our ways, hence He will always do what would glorify Him and not what would glorify you.

So assuming you a "sexual perverted" person prays for God to give him a "Figure 8 woman" as wife, My understanding is that God would not answer such a prayer simply because the motive and purpose of such a prayer is based on "Lust".

God allows Rain to fall on both Good and Evil , as such an atheist may think that because everything is going smoothly then he does not need God and he does not need prayer and that prayer does not work because he didn't have to pray to obtain what he need, FALLACY.

By the way , I believe that prayers of atheists and unbelievers are not answer, for obvious reasons.

Although a prayer of confession of sins and acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour, out a sincere heart, is accepted simply because at that point an atheist ceases from being an atheist and intead has become a Christian.

--------------------
Just like a Christian can pray and receive strength to go on without food and water for a while, likewise a Christian can choose to take the path of science and eat food and drink water to sustain himself. It does not mean the prayer to be able to fast indefinitely cannot be answered, instead it only shows and means that "whether or not such a person prays such a prayer" and "whether or not such a prayer is answer" , is dependent on whether such a prayer or such a prayer's answer is required by God and to the Glory of God respectively.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 10:31am On Feb 13, 2008
My junior brother is an evangelical christian who believes that in our MODERN AGE people have been know to be raised from the dead through prayers. He reads a lot of the evangelical material some of which contain stories of raising from the dead.

I did ask him the following question;

What if we were to go to our grand-fathers grave side, who has been dead 50 years and say prayers, what are the chances that we would see him rising from beneath the soil?

I said to him that I was prepared to accept a probabilistic answer - 0%, 10% 50% or 100%. Guess what, I got none.

What do you guys think about the question above?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Alphazee(f): 2:06pm On Feb 13, 2008
people seem to confuse optimistic thinking with prayer. a positive attitude means u believe in YOUR OWN abilities. prayer means putting everything in God's hand. how do u get answers from your prayers??
Why do you think the Colonial masters built us Colleges of Theology while back home they built Colleges of Technology?
So that as they underdeveloped us, we paryed!
They said we should put everything in the hands of God.
Remotely they took over the control and began to manipulate our thinking faculties
Gradually we lost faith in our own abilities

We have prayed for NEPA, So much so that it got transformed to PHCN - The result? Intensive Darkness
We prayed for INEC - What we got was Isi Ewu Iwu Abracadabra
We prayed for PDP - We got a Do-or-Die Election
We prayed against armed robery - They invaded one of the Prayer Supermarkets [b][/b]at Ota recently
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 3:28pm On Feb 13, 2008
Why do you think the Colonial masters built us Colleges of Theology while back home they built Colleges of Technology?
Remotely they took over the control and began to manipulate our thinking faculties

We have prayed for NEPA, So much so that it got transformed to PHCN - The result? Intensive Darkness
We prayed against armed robery - They invaded one of the Prayer Supermarkets [b][/b]at Ota recently

beautiful, what a literary masterpiece. i'm still waiting for the religious folks to give examples(be specific please) where their prayers worked. what means did u get answers since from i heard, it is impossible for man to comprehend God.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 5:08pm On Feb 13, 2008
Alphazee:

no ma'am, the colonial masters gave us our first missionary schools in the south, they built the University College hospital and University (UI) . . . they did not just tell us to go and pray.

Alphazee:

they also built our roads, rail system (which we have since abandoned) and most of the infrastructure that we have today.

Alphazee:

They were not the ones who remote-controlled Babangida, shagari and abacha into power.

Alphazee:

gradually we looted away our own future.

Alphazee:

a little less corruption . . . and NEPA would be a successful behemoth today.

Alphazee:

If we didnt rig ourselves into power we wouldnt need to be praying for INEC.

Alphazee:

PDP is not a christian organisation but a collection of thieves.

Alphazee:

if we had jobs for our youths we would not need to pray against armedrobbery.

In essence, i see the semi-intelligent bawomolo already congratulating u for a good write-up, this is nothing but a puerile attempt at lampooning the efficacy of prayer.
There is a place for prayer and there is also a place for civic responsibility, if you refuse to repair ur roads no amount of prayer can stop accidents from happening.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jewels Falling From Heaven In The Church In Puerto Rico / If Jesus Appear To You In Form Of The Picture One We See, Bind Him In Jesus Name / Was Mohammed A Real Prophet ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.