Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,817 members, 7,889,683 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:07 PM

Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) (26784 Views)

Route Of The Coastal Railway From Calabar To Lagos / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / Throwback Photo Of Chief Awolowo,HID,Mrs Osinbajo's Mother And Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Limaoscar: 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2012
I see a lot of Tribal War spark in the air already and it's the usual clowns that will not read History that start the conflagration.

The truth is that, Col Ojukwu actually released Awo from Calabar Prison and Awo had made a stop over in Enugu to thank Him and they had a little discussion about the Igbo Sessesion at the time and how both nations (Igbo and Yoruba) could benefit from the sesseion.

Awo's reception by Gowon in Lagos was also a political move to secure the yoruba Nation's support and it Probably paid-off. Had Ojukwu and Awo agreed on the Sessesion strategy or Terms of Reference,Issues might have been different.

The main reasons both men did not align in my opinion were:
1. Cultural/Strategic difference as Awo could not have committed the Yorbas without due Consultation...and the question of "what's in it for us".
2. Lack of trust between both Nations (Igbo + Yoruba) and that is something we still see in the larger society and on NL Thread till date.

4 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by maskid(m): 12:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
Tolexander: Waoh! What a blessing in disguise! God knows he would have been killed if he wasn't arrested that time telling us he was also corrupt. Awolowo! A courageous man that never tried fleeing leaving his people to suffer, a brave man that gave a simple clue to win and defeat the rebels.

oga kip quiet jor.

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Intrepid1(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2012
Someone shoulda shanked this war criminal in prison.
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Ikwerefistson: 1:03pm On Dec 05, 2012
free2ryhme: will dis pic change our current economic challenge
Limaoscar: I see a lot of Tribal War spark in the air already and it's the usual clowns that will not read History that start the conflagration.

The truth is that, Col Ojukwu actually released Awo from Calabar Prison and Awo had made a stop over in Enugu to thank Him and they had a little discussion about the Igbo Sessesion at the time and how both nations (Igbo and Yoruba) could benefit from the sesseion.

Awo's reception by Gowon in Lagos was also a political move to secure the yoruba Nation's support and it Probably paid-off. Had Ojukwu and Awo agreed on the Sessesion strategy or Terms of Reference,Issues might have been different.

1. Cultural/Strategic difference as Awo could not have committed the Yorbas without due Consultation...and the question of "what's in it for us".
2. Lack of trust between both Nations (Igbo + Yoruba) and that is something we still see in the larger society and on NL Thread till date.
free2ryhme: will dis pic change our current economic challenge
u fail 2 mention d 25mile coridor,d promise of being presidnt nd a plate of amala 4 every yaraba pepl

3 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by BeraBera(f): 1:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
I dont trust this story.
BTW, must every topic be derailed into tribal wars? Grow up Nairalanders!
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by sweetrace(f): 1:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
vega84: Foolish awo I wonder y the yourabas worship that heartless punk! Anyway they are all alike punks
I'm not sure you know your history. It was Chief Obafemi Awolowo that made a motion for the independence of Nigeria. The first tv station in Africa was by Awolowo. His achievements are numerous. He didn't go to prison for corruption, but for treason. He was made finance minister after his 3 years in prison. For the record, I'm not Yoruba.
But I've got a great deal of respect for him.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Hoodrat(m): 1:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
mmmmmm he looked ugly
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Aladinn(m): 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2012
freshdude: that pics could have been taken anywhere, just a pic of gowon walking with awo. ojukuw brought that nigga out of prison so he would take yourubas out of Nigeria while him(ojuukwu) take biafra out of Nigeria.

why would Ojukwu (a military man) relie on Awolowo ( a civilian) to secede? Were there no yoruba top military officers Ojukwu could convince?

6 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Truckpusher(m): 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2012
Awolowo the war criminal that never faced trial and Ojukwu the warmonger that ran away from war...*drags my weed while waiting for mama nkechi*
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by gudugudumeje: 2:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
elope3000: pls. tell what top-ranking military conspiracy cannot do; moreso with the unbridled connivance of Western European & North American powers? Pls.read about Ann Sun Kyi's father - a top military brash who negotiated independence for Burma 4r Britain ad how was ditched very shortly thereafter...... Ad his daughter in contemporary times. Ad see IBB ad Vatsa......
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by gudugudumeje: 2:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
elope3000: pls. me tell what top-ranking military conspiracy cannot do; moreso with the unbridled connivance of Western European & North American powers? Pls.read about Ann Sun Kyi's father - a top military brash who negotiated independence for Burma 4r Britain ad how was ditched very shortly thereafter...... Ad his daughter in contemporary times. Ad see IBB ad Vatsa......
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 05, 2012
Limaoscar: I see a lot of Tribal War spark in the air already and it's the usual clowns that will not read History that start the conflagration.

Perfectly spot on!

And as future events would later confirm, Awo's ambition to govern/rule Nigeria may explain why he "reneged" or in layman terms "left Ojukwu hanging"
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by maskid(m): 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2012
sweetrace:
I'm not sure you know your history. It was Chief Obafemi Awolowo that made a motion for the independence of Nigeria. The first tv station in Africa was by Awolowo. His achievements are numerous. He didn't go to prison for corruption, but for treason. He was made finance minister after his 3 years in prison. For the record, I'm not your Yoruba.

my friend SHARAP..... chief anthony Enahoro was the first man to move that motion. Awolowo ke. was he in the senate if it was him, then why was he sidelined when power was shared in the first republic.. why was Balewa made prime minister and Zik made Gov. General in place of the white man??.

mr man go back to school and leave the thread for matured pple.

GOAT
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by freshdude: 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
Aladinn:

why would Ojukwu (a military man) relie on Awolowo ( a civilian) to secede? Were there no yoruba top military officers Ojukwu could convince?
look at the kind of question ur asking. which military man in that period do u expect ojukwu to meet.? awo was the best person for the deal at that point.
1 he went to jail cause of a treasonable felony.(he wanted to over throw govt, before he and his cohorts were caught.)
2 when taking decisions like this, u need a man of the people that can convince the masses. someone that the people trust, so awo was the right person to carry out the secession.
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Tolexander: 2:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
maskid:

oga kip quiet jor.
who/what is this?
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by salolo(m): 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
great man
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Tolexander: 3:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
maskid:

my friend SHARAP..... chief anthony Enahoro was the first man to move that motion. Awolowo ke. was he in the senate if it was him, then why was he sidelined when power was shared in the first republic.. why was Balewa made prime minister and Zik made Gov. General in place of the white man??.

GOAT
he who knows not and knows not that he knows not, pretending to know is the greatest fool. Before independence, awolowo was in charge of the western region while akintola was in the house. U mentioned the power sharing? During the election of 1959,tafawa balewa NPC(the deputy to the leader of the party, ahmadu bello) became the president after a coalition with Nnamdi Azikwe's NCNC to reach the required vote. In october 1st 1960, the british left nigeria and tafawa balewa installed as the prime minister. In 1963, nigeria became a republic, then azikwe was made the president. Concerning awolowo, he was made the opposition leader in the first republic.omo nna Tell your mother to get you nigerian current affair books. Na advice e!

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
Legendary and erudite Nigerian...

R.I.P.. cool
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by abrat: 4:32pm On Dec 05, 2012
All of you should shut up!
of what relevance is this to the present situation in d country?
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
^^^^Nigeria has never been relevant - just a massive pile of shyte with cheese belly politicians and pseudo-intellectuals running around like the medieval vandals and barbarians of Europe... grin

Let's celebrate the greatest Nigerian ever - morasvcker!! *Blackson's voice!* cool
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by sweetrace(f): 5:02pm On Dec 05, 2012
maskid:

GOAT
I might be completely wrong, but I do believe that motion was first made by the action group, and whenever I think of the party, it is Awolowo that comes to mind. Meanwhile, matured person that you are, could you not have made your point without the insults? If you had I would have made an effort to find out if you're right or not.

3 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Aladinn(m): 5:04pm On Dec 05, 2012
freshdude:
look at the kind of question ur asking. which military man in that period do u expect ojukwu to meet.? awo was the best person for the deal at that point.
1 he went to jail cause of a treasonable felony.(he wanted to over throw govt, before he and his cohorts were caught.)
2 when taking decisions like this, u need a man of the people that can convince the masses. someone that the people trust, so awo was the right person to carry out the secession.

Good you said, "which miltary man in that period do you expect ojukwu to meet?" i say a top yoruba miltary officer. It was all an army affair during that era. If ojukwu couldnt trust a yoruba military officer why trust a helpless yoruba civilian that was just released from prison? Without military might there was little Awo could do. You expect him to rouse the people to carry sticks and cutlasses against gun trotting armies? That would be foolhardy. Igbos and the northers had more military men then the yorubas. The theme word would be caution on the part of the yorubas and that was what Awo did.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Picks Worgu Boms To Replace Victor Giadom / Bandits Invade Gwarinpa Estate In Abuja, Kidnap Residents / Senate Threatens To Remove Hammed Ali As Customs DG Over Vehicle Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.