Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,822 members, 7,889,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:58 PM

Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) (26785 Views)

Route Of The Coastal Railway From Calabar To Lagos / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / Throwback Photo Of Chief Awolowo,HID,Mrs Osinbajo's Mother And Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by dayokanu(m): 6:25pm On Dec 05, 2012
valicious1: Ex-convict.

Like Mandela

3 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Dec 05, 2012
Awoooo Awolowo

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2012
comment deleted for fear of repercussions grin
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2012
Immortal Awo!!!

cool

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by hardbody: 6:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
sweetrace:
I'm not sure you know your history. It was Chief Obafemi Awolowo that made a motion for the independence of Nigeria. The first tv station in Africa was by Awolowo. His achievements are numerous. He didn't go to prison for corruption, but for treason. He was made finance minister after his 3 years in prison. For the record, I'm not Yoruba.
But I've got a great deal of respect for him.

Ha, Awo moved the first motion for independence of Nigeria? My teacher told me it was Enahoro. Obviously one of the teachers must be a punk and i tend to think its yours

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by freshdude: 8:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
Aladinn:

Good you said, "which miltary man in that period do you expect ojukwu to meet?" i say a top yoruba miltary officer. It was all an army affair during that era. If ojukwu couldnt trust a yoruba military officer why trust a helpless yoruba civilian that was just released from prison? Without military might there was little Awo could do. You expect him to rouse the people to carry sticks and cutlasses against gun trotting armies? That would be foolhardy. Igbos and the northers had more military men then the yorubas. The theme word would be caution on the part of the yorubas and that was what Awo did.
let me brake histroy down for u a lil bit, awo was the best person ojukwu could meet to lead the yorubas...Awo was the leader of the opposition party before he went to jail. he's experience was ranked with the likes of zik and tafawa balewa. awo was frustrated with the way the north dominated the parliament. this made it difficult for the south/west to enter into power cause no decision could be taken in the parliament if the north opposed it. a constitutional amendment wasnt realistic, so awo resulted to violence. him(awo) latif jakinde, anthony enahoro and josiah olawoyin wanted to over-throw the govt before they were caught and sentenced to 10yrs in prison.
mind u this wasnt an all military affair in that era. some civilian were also holding key positions. why was awo no 2 individual in nigeria at that time when gowon was the president.? was awo a military man?
ojukwu felt awo was the right person to rob mind with cause of awos previous rebellious traits. awo was power hungry and ojukwu knew it. so he felt awo would lead yourbas out of nigeria cause nigeria was still under the dictatorship of the north awo was fighting before he went to jail. but unfortunately for ojukwu, nigeria has just discovered oil, so gowon gave awo an offer he couldn't refuse.
after accepting the offer, awo switched side. he wanted to benefit from nigeria were he was hoping to become the president.

if ur going to steal something, and u need an accomplice, who do u meet to join you.? a potential thief who has stolen and got caught, or a novice that cant even muster the courage to steal. awo had the potential ojukwu was looking for, that was why ojukwu said awo was the best president Nigeria never had.

4 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by stallion2: 9:43pm On Dec 05, 2012
fatdon1: Here's a bit of history - Chief Obafemi Awolowo(left) with Lt. Col Yakubu Gowon(right), when Chief Obafemi Awolowo was released from Calabar Prison, AUG 3, 1966.

http://www.amazingandweirdstories..co.uk/2012/12/photo-chief-awolowo-released-from.html?m=1
compare these pixs to modern day poli-thief-ians with pot belly
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by nagoma(m): 11:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
free2ryhme: will dis pic change our current economic challenge

No it will not. It's just a picture - like GEJ.
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by pharmow: 1:22am On Dec 06, 2012
The greatest brain Nigeria has ever had. If only they allowed him to rule Naija for just 1 year, we will all be proud of this country now.
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by stantob(m): 5:44am On Dec 06, 2012
Him head dey like Mozambique kola nut for that pics.
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by 2ruink(m): 4:30pm On Dec 06, 2012
Tolexander: Waoh! What a blessing in disguise! God knows he would have been killed if he wasn't arrested that time telling us he was also corrupt. Awolowo! A courageous man that never tried fleeing leaving his people to suffer, a brave man that gave a simple clue to win and defeat the rebels.
and what was his end like?
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by valicious1(m): 6:49am On Dec 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Like Mandela
How dare u compare light(mandela) with darkness(awolowo).
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 26, 2014
freshdude:
let me brake histroy down for u a lil bit, awo was the best person ojukwu could meet to lead the yorubas...Awo was the leader of the opposition party before he went to jail. he's experience was ranked with the likes of zik and tafawa balewa. awo was frustrated with the way the north dominated the parliament. this made it difficult for the south/west to enter into power cause no decision could be taken in the parliament if the north opposed it. a constitutional amendment wasnt realistic, so awo resulted to violence. him(awo) latif jakinde, anthony enahoro and josiah olawoyin wanted to over-throw the govt before they were caught and sentenced to 10yrs in prison.
mind u this wasnt an all military affair in that era. some civilian were also holding key positions. why was awo no 2 individual in nigeria at that time when gowon was the president.? was awo a military man?
ojukwu felt awo was the right person to rob mind with cause of awos previous rebellious traits. awo was power hungry and ojukwu knew it. so he felt awo would lead yourbas out of nigeria cause nigeria was still under the dictatorship of the north awo was fighting before he went to jail. but unfortunately for ojukwu, nigeria has just discovered oil, so gowon gave awo an offer he couldn't refuse.
after accepting the offer, awo switched side. he wanted to benefit from nigeria were he was hoping to become the president.

if ur going to steal something, and u need an accomplice, who do u meet to join you.? a potential thief who has stolen and got caught, or a novice that cant even muster the courage to steal. awo had the potential ojukwu was looking for, that was why ojukwu said awo was the best president Nigeria never had.

I am dazed that since 2012, TWO full years ago, even with established OAU IFE trainded posters all over this website including Dayokanu& Seun, the post I quoted above hadn't been appropriately righted/corrected. 7

I blame IFE blooded folks because their school is named after him & most Ife grads I've met have this irrepressible spirit of their eponymous progenitor while he was alive.

I'm not an OAU Ife-product but my school's Vice-Chancellor is, and so are many eggheads around me.

On the subject matter, AWO was never a violent person. He was an excellent administrator. When Azikwe's NCNC party refused to team with Awo's AG to take control of the Federal Parliament and ultimately the Prime Minister position (PRESIDENT today), a deal where Awo had conceded to let Zik be the PM & him being Finance Minister.

*AWO's first degree, as an External Student, had been in Commerce.*

For whatever reason, said to be because Awo had outsmarted Zik to becoming the Premier of WESTERN NIGERIA in the 1951 Regional election, Nnamdi Azikwe elected rather to align with the already large-numbered, but lacking essential majority Ahmadu Bello's NORTHERN PEOPLE'S CONGRESS (NPC) in 1959.

That robbed Nigeria of the proverbial handshake across the Niger. The alliance that would have put Nigeria's headship in the hands of Southerners, outside of the Northern hegemony and the British manipulative moves in Northern Nigeria's essential favour.

Zik was to repeat this at every Federal election they both participated in - as leaders of their respective ethnic groups - except for a brief but stalemated truce before the aborted anticipated 1979 Presidential elections rerun.

That said, it is important to shed some light on Awo's treason rope-up, trial & imprisonment.

Ex-School teacher Balewa was not a savvy leader neither was he either ready nor ready for the exalted office of the PM. His NPC was however determined to make a political inroad into the West, where the Lagos seat of power was.

Renegade former deputy of Awo's, during the latter's Premiership, Ladoke Akintola, was now the Premier of Western Region while AWO held the office of the LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION in the Federal Parliament in Lagos, having left his Premier job for his deputy to contest for the ultimate seat in Lagos.

In SL Akintola, like Afonja of Ilorin in the past, the Northern oligarchy found a very willing ally & ground.

The Yoruba political class, ably headed by AWO/ACTION GROUP strongly resented Akintola's snitching & anti-party activities. Akintola was eventually impeached by the House & replaced by Adegbenro but the former refused to vacate office!

It led to the popular yoruba phrase, which was a yoruba newspaper headline then, AKINTOLA TAKU - meaning Akintola has refused to leave office!

Akintola's new allies, the FG, NPC's PM Balewa stepped in by rounding all AG major Party elders including Awo, Olawoyin & Jakande (all civilians o!) up on trumped up charges & jailing them.

The motive was to put them all out of circulation so that Akintola could remain undeterred in office to maintain the NPC-AKINTOLA Operation- conquer-the-West plan.

By 1963/64, Awo was jailed,Ni

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by MAYOWAAK: 11:17pm On Oct 25, 2014
The ifs that readily come to my mind are:
1. If the NCNC and the AG had teamed in the federal elections of 1959, there would have been no basis for the coup of January 1966;
2. If Awo had not resigned as Premier to vie for office in the center, contrary to the advice of A.G. chieftains, there would have been no crisis in the Western Region;
3. If SLA’s offer of resignation as Premier after his eldest daughter’s death had not been rejected, he would not have been killed by the coupists in 1966;
4. If Zik had not gone for medical check-up abroad, he would have been killed by the coupists;
5. If Aguiyi-Ironsi had not gone out to have fun, he would not have gotten wind of the coup on his way back home on Carter Bridge, and he would not have been able to go to Ikeja Barracks to mobilize the soldiers who eventually quashed the coup;
6. If Sir Adetokunbo Ademola had not impressed it on the British not to allow Murtala Muhammed/northern Nigeria to secede in July of 1966, other regions would have followed suit, and there would have been no Civil War;
7. If Gowon had not travelled to Ethiopia for the O.A.U. Summit, the coupists would have had a hard time overthrowing him;
8. If Murtala Muhammed had not been killed by Dimka and co., he would have midwifed a better Constitution and transition to democracy than Obasanjo did;
9. If Justice Fatayi Williams and other Supreme Court justices had not come up with their 12 2/3 abracadabra, Awo would have defeated Shagari in the electoral college;
10. If Buhari/Idiagbon had not overthrown Shagari, the civilian administration would have self-corrected itself, and Lagos State would have had a metro line;
11. If Idiagbon had not gone on pilgrimage to Mecca, Babangida would not have succeeded overthrowing Buhari;
12. If Gideon Orkar’s coup had succeeded, northern Nigeria would have been excised from the rest of the country, and the rest of the country would have lived happily thereafter;
13. If Babangida had handed over to Abiola and if he had retired Abacha when he retired other high-ranking soldiers in his cabinet in 1993, Abacha would not have been able to overthrow Shonekan;
14. If Costacurta and Albertini had not taken out Amunike and Amokachie at U.S.A. ’94, Nigeria would have beaten Italy;
15. If Abdusalami had not delayed the release of Abiola, Abiola would not have died in prison; and
16. If UMYA had not died, given Nigeria’s set-up, it would have been almost impossible for someone from a minority ethnic group to be President.

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by tit(f): 11:29pm On Oct 25, 2014
Akintola taku!
That is why Tinubu is not suggesting Fashola as VeePee to Buhari.
He does not trust Fashole at all.
Re: Chief Awolowo Released From Calabar Prison, 3rd August,1966.(photo) by GuyFawkes: 5:00am On Oct 26, 2014
Hernyolar:

I am dazed that since 2012, TWO full years ago, even with established OAU IFE trainded posters all over this website including Dayokanu& Seun, the post I quoted above hadn't been appropriately righted/corrected. 7

I blame IFE blooded folks because their school is named after him & most Ife grads I've met have this irrepressible spirit of their eponymous progenitor while he was alive.

I'm not an OAU Ife-product but my school's Vice-Chancellor is, and so are many eggheads around me.

On the subject matter, AWO was never a violent person. He was an excellent administrator. When Azikwe's NCNC party refused to team with Awo's AG to take control of the Federal Parliament and ultimately the Prime Minister position (PRESIDENT today), a deal where Awo had conceded to let Zik be the PM & him being Finance Minister.

*AWO's first degree, as an External Student, had been in Commerce.*

For whatever reason, said to be because Awo had outsmarted Zik to becoming the Premier of WESTERN NIGERIA in the 1951 Regional election, Nnamdi Azikwe elected rather to align with the already large-numbered, but lacking essential majority Ahmadu Bello's NORTHERN PEOPLE'S CONGRESS (NPC) in 1959.

That robbed Nigeria of the proverbial handshake across the Niger. The alliance that would have put Nigeria's headship in the hands of Southerners, outside of the Northern hegemony and the British manipulative moves in Northern Nigeria's essential favour.

Zik was to repeat this at every Federal election they both participated in - as leaders of their respective ethnic groups - except for a brief but stalemated truce before the aborted anticipated 1979 Presidential elections rerun.

That said, it is important to shed some light on Awo's treason rope-up, trial & imprisonment.

Ex-School teacher Balewa was not a savvy leader neither was he either ready nor ready for the exalted office of the PM. His NPC was however determined to make a political inroad into the West, where the Lagos seat of power was.

Renegade former deputy of Awo's, during the latter's Premiership, Ladoke Akintola, was now the Premier of Western Region while AWO held the office of the LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION in the Federal Parliament in Lagos, having left his Premier job for his deputy to contest for the ultimate seat in Lagos.

In SL Akintola, like Afonja of Ilorin in the past, the Northern oligarchy found a very willing ally & ground.

The Yoruba political class, ably headed by AWO/ACTION GROUP strongly resented Akintola's snitching & anti-party activities. Akintola was eventually impeached by the House & replaced by Adegbenro but the former refused to vacate office!

It led to the popular yoruba phrase, which was a yoruba newspaper headline then, AKINTOLA TAKU - meaning Akintola has refused to leave office!

Akintola's new allies, the FG, NPC's PM Balewa stepped in by rounding all AG major Party elders including Awo, Olawoyin & Jakande (all civilians o!) up on trumped up charges & jailing them.

The motive was to put them all out of circulation so that Akintola could remain undeterred in office to maintain the NPC-AKINTOLA Operation- conquer-the-West plan.

By 1963/64, Awo was jailed,Ni

Unlike the general believe that Awo's party during the first republic was sectional result of 1959 election showed that AG had the widest national spread though it won the lowest number of seats in that election.

"The NPC which contested only in the North won 134 seats in the Federal Parliament; the NCNC/NEPU won 58 seats in the East, 8 in the North, 23 in the West & Lagos which equaled to 89 total seats in the Federal Parliament; and the AG and its allies won 14 seats in the East, 25 seats in the North, and 34 seats in the West & Lagos which gave 73 total seats in the Federal Parliament out of 312 total seats"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Picks Worgu Boms To Replace Victor Giadom / Bandits Invade Gwarinpa Estate In Abuja, Kidnap Residents / Senate Threatens To Remove Hammed Ali As Customs DG Over Vehicle Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.