Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,869 members, 7,876,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:26 PM

Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola (10329 Views)

Defence Minister Re-opens Old Wounds, Chides Minimah Over Buhari's Certificate / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children / Nigeria,lets Look Into The Future;lets Not Eat Our Tomorrow! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 2:16am On Dec 11, 2012
The civil war needs to be addressed by the FG once and for all, otherwise what you have would be people pandering half truths and over the top statements. Obviously brushing it under the carpets isn't working.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 2:41am On Dec 11, 2012
Democracy and capitalism have failed Africa, we need to look inwards or embrace totalitarianism albeit something like the Chinese model... Most Africans need to be smacked around to make them think straight and totalitarianism will provide a better platform for that...

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 4:52am On Dec 11, 2012
From recent experience, African style of totalitarianism would resort into Idi Amin-like characters. undecided What African leaders have lacked and continue to lack is the use of their position for service to the people. They already have the whole totalitarian thing going on.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by birdman(m): 7:08am On Dec 11, 2012
stillwater: The civil war needs to be addressed by the FG once and for all, otherwise what you have would be people pandering half truths and over the top statements. Obviously brushing it under the carpets isn't working.

Its been addressed over and over again, socially, economically, politically. Countless books have flogged the issue to death. Bottom line, some people have decided to move on, and some have decided not to. Im not assigning blame anywhere, but thats what it boils down to.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by aljharem(m): 7:19am On Dec 11, 2012
birdman:

Its been addressed over and over again, socially, economically, politically. Countless books have flogged the issue to death. Bottom line, some people have decided to move on, and some have decided not to. Im not assigning blame anywhere, but thats what it boils down to.

Correct sir. Majority of us have moved on because we are forward thinking people and believe we are one and the same people but when an elderly statesman like Achebe could be so myopic and childish to open such wounds, it is just a great reminder to us how our so called neighbour harbour hate for us.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Olaolufred(m): 7:36am On Dec 11, 2012
alj harem:

Correct sir. Majority of us have moved on because we are forward thinking people and believe we are one and the same people but when an elderly statesman like Achebe could be so myopic and childish to open such wounds, it is just a great reminder to us how our so called neighbour harbour hate for us.

I understand your point here about moving forward.
"Moving forward is the only way forward".
However, my brethren from the east would not.
The most surprising thing is that their so-called "educated" behaves more foolishly than the already-tagged "Illiterates" among them.
How will Achebe wait for 45 years in his literary life without leading his people to seek justice from ICJ/ICC?
Instead, they keep bothering the rest of Nigerians everyday with same old stories.
ACHEBE KNOWS THEY HAVE NO CASE TO PURSUE. THAT IS WHY THEY ALL WANT TO KEEP FABRICATING STORIES TO THEIR UNBORN CHILDREN.

Kindly read this.

https://www.nairaland.com/1128214/re-remember-differently-kadiri

6 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by ochukoccna: 7:49am On Dec 11, 2012
Demdem: I think this advise is best directed at Achebe himself. I wonder what he wants to acheive with such.
The senile dude was there when Fashola said so
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/sam-omatseye/democracy-is-not-enough/
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by BabaO2: 8:28am On Dec 11, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Fashola had better kept quite on this issue because it is highly INSENSITIVE and PROVOCATIVE to suggest that we should sweep under the carpet the genocidal actions of principal actors of the Nigerian civil war.
Then stir the hornet's nest if you think you have the capability and capacity

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by ignis: 8:32am On Dec 11, 2012
Demdem:

Achebe has obviously not moved forward and he hasn't forgotten the past.
How can one hurriedly forget such incident?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 11, 2012
cjrane: Fashola speaks as though the wound has healed.No! It is still sore.
It is worse when people like Fashola try to window dress the truth as if they have some moral authority to do so.
Fashola should not ask a slapped child not to cry as a panacea, he should ask the abuser what the child did to merit such thousand slaps.

In America,after their civil war, they carefully collected data from all sides of the country to make their history balance.They didn't demonize the south of their country and deny infrastructural development on the excuse they were the rebel side as Nigeria is doing. They equally developed Georgia,Tennessee,Texas,Louisiana,Arkansas,Florida,Mississippi,Nevada, etc to become truly part of the United States. In Nigeria, Awolowo tried to impoverish Igbos and did everything in his power to make sure their region was impoverished and Igbo was not re-integrated into Nigeria which they were forced to be part of. Now,if Achebe writes that fact in his book it becomes a problem?

And pretenders like Fashola will talk their nonsense as if they truly are pan-Nigerian at heart. We all know the truth and it is a waste of time denying it to people who know it.
U need to get a life and stop crying on the internet. Go where ur voice would be heard by the authorities, in order for the igbos to be 're-integrated'

When i go to Ladipo market to buy spare part for my car, the tribe selling the parts most are igbos, happy and Jovial. when i go to Willoughby in Ebute-metta to buy parts for my Honda Accord, i see lots of Igbos, happy, Jovial and friendly in state that's not originally their place of birth. I don't know the 're-integration' you're talking about

7 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 11, 2012
When I see e-wars while browsing through the pages of nairaland I don‘t see superiority or inferiority, racism or tribalism, I see HUMANS. That‘s what they are HUMANS. What we see on nl is not alien in the world we live in today. There is tension everywhere even in families. The reason why America is the most powerful nation today is because of it‘s union. America of today comprises africans, japanese, germans, french, latinos, indians brits............. In Americas hall of fame we see names likes einstien, martin luther king and so on..... They claim everybody. These different of species of people bring in different ideas which makes a country grow. To cut it short, the soviet union fell because it populace couldn‘t find a common ground. They felt cheated and marginalised by the russians. We have wha it takes to be like america and we also have what it takes to fall like the soviet union. It‘s either we make or we break.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 11, 2012
I was not born when this civil war occurred. Infact my mother was a kid then. My questions are, why did Ojukwu start a war he can not win? What did Awolowo gain from his betrayal and what what did Gowon gain from the massacre he commanded. And to those who won't let go of the past, How do you sleep at night with so much hate on fellow countrymen. For me; Why do I respond to this story of history. And to Achebe; Why don't you let sleeping dogs lie.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Sammy107d(m): 9:28am On Dec 11, 2012
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by teetee1: 9:29am On Dec 11, 2012
Billyonaire: I was not born when this civil war occurred. Infact my mother was a kid then. My questions are, why did Ojukwu start a war he can not win? What did Awolowo gain from his betrayal and what what did Gowon gain from the massacre he commanded. And to those who won't let go of the past, How do you sleep at night with so much hate on fellow countrymen. For me; Why do I respond to this story of history. And to Achebe; Why don't you let sleeping dogs lie.
u would have had all the answers if only u were born then, I tell u its better immagined than experienced...the horrors of war!
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Blueeyedboi(m): 9:49am On Dec 11, 2012
D book says a PERSONAL history of d biafran war...i purposely highlighted d word 'personal' 4 emphasis...i wonda y sum ppl wet their pants over dis buk...ur free 2give ur own PERSONAL account of d biafran war...i like d front cover of d book..it luks very intimidating..

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 11, 2012
Am so heart broken for my dear country... Who is right, who is wrong? I doubt if there's any way forward.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Sealeddeal(m): 10:06am On Dec 11, 2012
Billyonaire: I was not born when this civil war occurred. Infact my mother was a kid then. My questions are, why did Ojukwu start a war he can not win? What did Awolowo gain from his betrayal and what what did Gowon gain from the massacre he commanded. And to those who won't let go of the past, How do you sleep at night with so much hate on fellow countrymen. For me; Why do I respond to this story of history. And to Achebe; Why don't you let sleeping dogs lie.
...Ojukwu started war? How do we define the person that started war? Is it the person that declared war or the person that stood to defend his territory? Remember,Gowon declared war on eastern region and Ojukwu was on defensive.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by T9ksy(m): 10:19am On Dec 11, 2012
Ojukwu was on the defensive.................in Ore Abi Ore is ojukwu's homeland ni.

Nothing one won't read here on nl.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Sealeddeal(m): 10:22am On Dec 11, 2012
T9ksy: Ojukwu was on the defensive.................in Ore Abi Ore is ojukwu's homeland ni.

Nothing one won't read here on nl.
.....the war didnt start at Ore.It started at Nsukka when the FG began invasion of Nsukka.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Supa6ix(m): 10:36am On Dec 11, 2012
U cant flog a child nd tell him nt 2 cry...igbo is nt d only tribe in naija...so y d hatred?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Demdem(m): 10:41am On Dec 11, 2012
ignis:
How can one hurriedly forget such incident?

Because the initiator of the war itself is dead.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir: Lets Not Re-open Old Wounds- Fashola by Demdem(m): 10:48am On Dec 11, 2012
Sealeddeal: .....the war didnt start at Ore.It started at Nsukka when the FG began invasion of Nsukka.

What initiated this act from the fg?
For ur info, there was only one territory, Nigerian territory.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Did Buhari Jail VP Ekuweme But Place President Shagari Under House Arrest? / NNPC Blames Fuel Scarcity On Vandals, Unscrupulous Oil Marketers - VANGUARD / Udensi: Kalu's Performance Better Than That Of T.A Orji, Ikpeazu Put Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.