Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,619 members, 7,908,571 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 09:04 AM

Razor Tongue: A Story - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Razor Tongue: A Story (49701 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
Where is the story na sad
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Wendyphil(f): 11:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
Serah plssssss na.. cry
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2013
@megareal... Thank you sooooo much. I sincerely appreciate you. Please keep the corrections coming. I know I need the lessons. I haven't written in a while and I definitely need to brush up my use of grammar. Abeg all upgrade highly needed, FAST!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
Part Nine

Sheila left the library and walked back to her hostle. She needed a warm bath and something to eat. Something good, delicious and relishing. She felt like indulging herself. She was in no mood to cook. She glanced at her wrist watch, it was 6 p.m. Some of the restaurants on campus would have closed. She had laid out plans on how she would spend her money. She would be drilling a hole in her allowance if she decided to leave the campus and eat out. If only her parents would increase her allowance. Her phone vibrated, she pulled it out of one of her blue jeans trouser pockets.

It was her father. Why was he calling? She had spoken with her parents two nights ago. She wondered why her dad was calling. Probably he wanted to inform her that they have decided to increase the money they give her monthly. Wishful thinking. Her parents were not ready to increase her allowance anytime soon. She pressed the answer key.

"Hello, Dad good evening."

"Evening pumpkin, how are you doing?"

"Okay... "

"Are you free tonight?"

A frown creased her brow, now what? If they want her to come home for whatever reason, there had be a catch, preferably in cash. "It depends," she heard her father chuckle. May be it was high time she stopped going home every weekend. That was one of the disadvantages of schooling close to home. She was now a big girl and would be twenty soon. Once a month was okay, except when she needed something. She would discuss it with them during the weekend.

"Baby girl... Are you there?"

His voice pierced through here thoughts, "Hmmm... "

"Sheila... "

"Yes... Yes dad."

"Your mother and I are trying out a new Chinese restaurant, we thought you might like... "

"Chinese restaurant! Tonight?"

"Yes, tonight."

"Fantastic. I am free! I am free! I am coming home straight away."

"Hold your horses girl. We will come and pick you up."

"Great! Fantastic! Thanks dad, you are the best!"

Her father laughed and hang up. Sheila half ran and half walked the rest of the way to her hostle. Free dinner! That was extra cash for her. No need to touch her dwindling allowance. That was the best news she had heard that week. It was so cool being an only child. Although, sometimes she wished she had a sibling or two, but most times, she saw the benefits of being an only child. Her parents and all they had were at her beck and call.

xxxxxxx

John led his wife and daughter into the Chinese restaurant. They found a table close to the window. They settled down and made their orders.

"Can you imagine the crowd in this place?" Eureka looked around. All the tables were almost taken.

"Lagosians and food," John grinned.

"We are here for the same reasons."

Her parents turned to look at her, trust their daughter to hit the nail on the head. A waiter brought their meal and another arranged their drinks on the round table.

"Chinese food... always fresh," Sheila picked up her cutlery and dug into her food.

"Did you say your prayers?"

"Hmmm... " She lifted her head and met her mother's disapproving gaze. She shook her head and swallowed the food in her mouth. She said a quick prayer and continued eating.

"How is the food?"

Eureka nodded with approval. Sheila made 'thumbs up' signal with her hand. John smiled and worked on his meal. The food was good. He would visit again with his wife.

"I am off to the restroom," Sheila pushed her chair backwards and got to her feet.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded and smiled at her mother, "I am pressed."

"Oh... " Eureka returned her attention to her half-eaten meal.

Sheila sighted a waiter and asked where the restroom was. She followed his directions and found her way. She used the toilet and while washing her hands at the sink, some ladies walked in chatting and laughing as if they owned the place.

The three of them hung around the large mirror and applied their make up.

"Have you placed your order for your wedding gown?"

"Like yesterday."

They all bursted out laughing.

"Like seriously, that was the first thing I ordered for."

"Way to go girl, in your shoes, I would have done the same thing."

Sheila watched them while drying her hands. It was obvious one of them was getting married. They all looked a little bit over twenty if she wasn't mistaken.

"My father promised to give me every single penny I need. All I need to do is ask."

"That's so cool. When it comes to a wedding like yours, the banks must stay open."

"Of course girlfriend."

They gave themselves high fives. Sheila shook her head and hissed. She won't be surprised if they were all over-pampered brats raised by some money bags in the society. She hissed again. The ladies stopped talking and turned to face her.

"Did she just hissed at us?"

"Hell no! I hope she didn't."

One of them walked up to her, "You've got something to say bitch?"

Sheila stared back at her, wondering whether she should respond or walk away. Why waste her time and saliva? She hissed and turned to leave. One of the ladies dashed for the door and locked it.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"You are not going anywhere until you apologize to us."

"Apologize? For what?"

They all surrounded her, hands akimbo.

"Do you know who I am? Nobody hisses at me and my friends and get away with it."

She sized them up, from weavons to shoes. Their hairstyles were bizzare, their outfits were too clingy, making them look like sardines in a can and their make up was heavy. They looked like scary clowns. God! Some women will never learn. Less was more.

"Do you know who we are?"

"You made a big mistake tonight. You picked on the wrong girls."

Sheila started to laugh, she clapped her hands and laughed hard. They stared at her, wondering what had come over her.

" I know your types," she waved a hand at them. "Over-pampered brats."

Their puzzled gazes turned to angry ones.

"Do you think the world is at your feet? From where I am standing, you are nothing but lazy, dumb girls who cannot even brush your own teeth."

"How dare you?" One of them pushed her.

"Don't you dare touch me!"

Another tapped her on the shoulder, "Look here, I am Zidani Abubakar, the daughter of the CEO of Allied Insurance, you are going to pay for insulting us," she dialed a number on her phone.

"You have a very big mouth, we will show you the stuff we are made of," one of Zidani's friends drew one of her ears.

Her temper rose, if she loses it, she would end up injuring them physically. Her parents were outside, for their sake, she would try to stay calm, but these girls were making it so hard for her. "If you touch me again, you will regret it for the rest of your life."

Zidani and friends laughed at her.

"Look at this nobody."

"My body guards will deal with her," Zidani eyed her.

"Sheila's food is getting cold. What is she doing in there?"

"I hope the food did not give her a stomach upset," Eureka got up, "I will go and check up on her."

John sighed and watched his wife leave in a hurry.

Eureka met Dorcas on her way to the restroom.

"My one and only sister in-law."

"Dorcas... " They embraced, "What are you doing here?"

"You are not the only one who likes Chinese food you know."

They both laughed.

"I am here with Imabong, his business partner, a client and her friends."

"Oh... okay."

"Are you here with John?"

"Yes... "

"You two... Lover-birds," she winked.

They both laughed again.

"We brought Sheila along."

"Oh... I see," her brows knitted in a frown.

"She left for the restroom a while ago... "

"Really..." her frown deepened, "So did my client." They locked eyes and hurried to the restroom. The door was locked.

"What in the world... "

Eureka started banging her fist on the door, "Sheila! Are you in there?"

Zidani and her friends exchanged glances.

"Cecilia go and open the door."

One of the girls unlocked the door. Eureka and Dorcas walked in. They saw Sheila surrounded by three ladies.

"What is going on here?"

"This thing here had the audacity to run her big mouth and insult me and my friends."

"And she is going to regret it," Cecilia added.

Eureka and Dorcas exchanged glances. A group of men in black suits came in.

"Good, your bodyguards are here," Nkiruka cheered.

"I want you to take this thing somewhere and teach her a lesson. No one messes with Zidani Abubakar."

The men in black grabbed Sheila.

"What... What... Leave my daughter alone!" Eureka stood in their way.

"Oh-oh-oh, so this thing here is your daughter?" Cecilia rolled her eyes.

Eureka faced the young women, "My daughter is not a thing!"

Zidani and her friends burst into laughter.

"Take her away!"

The men grabbed Sheila again.

"Leave my daughter alone!"

"Wait... Wait... Zidani, let us settle this matter without... "Dorcas eyed the bodyguards, "... without involving them."

She shook her head, "No... No... She must pay for insulting me."

John walked in, "What is going on here?"

Zidani ignored him and shouted at her bodyguards, "What is wrong with all of you? Take her out of here or you will lose your job!"

"If you touch her, you will all sleep in the police cell this evening."

Zidani and her friends glared at him.

"Who do you think you are?" She eyed him.

"And who do you think you are?"

She squared her shoulders and smoothed her navy blue satin dress, "I am Zidani Abubakar, daughter of the CEO of Allied Insurance."

"And I am John Adams."

Zidani and her friends dropped their jaws. The Adams family were well known, not just in Lagos, but all over Africa. She signaled to her bodyguards and they walked out of the restroom.

"I think we should take this outside, we cannot settle this matter in here," John led them all out of the restaurant.

Dorcas began to sweat. Today of all days! She dialed her husband's number. They have been planning Zidani's wedding for several months and they were supposed to finalize the contract that night. If all goes well, Zidani's friends would make sure they planned their wedding too. So much money was involved. She and her husband had already set other things in motion. Oh God! Help us God! They can't afford to lose the contract.

"I was in the restroom with my friends, and this... this... " Zidani frowned at Sheila, "She hissed!"

"And when we confronted her, she rained insults on us," Cecilia added.

"She called us unprintable," Nkiruka eyed her.

"You insulted me first, you called me a bitch," she pointed at Cecilia, "And you wanted me to apologize for hissing," she eyed Zidani, "That is so lame," Sheila hissed.

Douglas and Imabong exchanged glances. They hope they would settle the dispute and finalize the contract.

"All right, all right. Zidani, let us go back to the restaurant and forget this ever happened," Dorcas smiled at her.

"I am not going anywhere. Not until she apologises," Zidani folded her arms across her chest. She doesn't care if the Adams were richer than her family, she would get the apology she deserved.

"After all, we were not talking to her, why did she hiss?" Cecilia stared at Sheila and her parents.

Sheila laughed and clapped her hands. Dorcas turned to her husband. They needed to do something fast before the situation got out of hand.

"Sheila why don't you apologize to these ladies?" Imabong winked at her.

She should have known that her aunt's husband would take sides with the brats.

"We are waiting," Zidani began to play with a strand of her hair.

"I do not need to apologize to anyone. Seriously, they should be the ones apologising to me."

"You must be out of your mind!" Cecilia moved closer to her.

"It is a free world and I have the right to react to situations around me."

Imabong approached John, "Zidani is my client and we are in the middle of finalising a mega contract tonight."

John slipped his hands into his jeans pockets.

"Can you get your daughter to apologize to Zidani and her friends?" He glanced at his gold plated wristwatch, "It is 10 p.m."

His brother-in-law narrowed his eyes, "You want my daughter to apologize to your client in order to suit your business plans."

"John... Look... They are all at fault. But you know how sturbborn Sheila is. There is no way on planet earth that she will apologize."

"Why should she? These girls almost got her beaten up tonight. Like you said, they are all at fault."

Dorcas watched her husband. She hoped he could convince John to make Sheila apologize to their client. Their multi-millionaire contract depended on how smoothly the dispute is settled.

"Isn't she your sister-in-law? Go and talk to her." Douglas turned to her.

"Imabong will settle this situation with John," she assured him.

Sheila and her mother watched Zidani and her friends while they made endless phone calls. She hoped they leave soon, the ladies were irritating her.

"Come on John... "

"Come on what?" His raised voice attracted attention.

"Sheila hissing at them did not give them the right to ambush her."

"Fine... Fine... "

"Why didn't they ignore her? If they had, this squabble would not have transpired."

"Yes, I know that, but... "

"It is quite late, I need to take my daughter back to school before they lock the campus gate."

Imabong beckoned to his wife.

"Darling, Sheila, let us go," John led his family towards the parking lot.

"John, wait... " She closed the gap between them. "This is important to us."

"I am disappointed," he frowned at his sister, "Is your client more important than your family?"

"John, it is not like that... "

"It is like what?!"

Cecilia nudged Zidani, "Your wedding planner is related to the Adams."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Take a closer look and her and Mr. John."

Zidani looked at Dorcas, then John and back at Dorcas again, "My God!" The resemblance was striking. "You are both related... " She pointed at them.

They stopped talking and looked at her. Douglas pulled Imabong aside.

"You need to do something fast, I cannot afford to lose this contract over a mere girlish quarrel."

Imabong began to tap his feet on the ground, he was at a lost for words.

Zidani beckoned to her friends, "Let us go home," she glanced at Douglas and Imabong, "The contract is dissolved."

Dorcas opened her mouth, but no words came out, she looked at her husband.

"Get my bodyguards Cecilia, we are going home."

Cecilia hurried away.

Douglas approached Zidani, "Please, let us settle this... "

"There is nothing to settle. I cannot do business with you... "

"But why?"

She hissed and turned to her friend, "Go after Cecilia and hasten them."

Nkiruka headed off.

Imabong walked up to her, "Please, you are taking a drastic action. This is a trivial issue."

"Really... Then tell her to apologize."

John and his family walked away.

"John... John... John!" Dorcas called her brother, but he ignored her. What kind of mess was this?

Zidani's bodyguards arrived with her car and theirs. She got in and they drove away.

"This is ridiculous... " Douglas ran a hand through his bald head.

Dorcas and her husband looked at themselves. It was hard to believe that all their plans were running down the drain.

"I will call her tomorrow. I believe we can still retify the situation," Douglas hoped Zidani will change her mind.

"I hope so."

Douglas eyed his friend, "Where is your faith?"

"Let us go home, It's being a long day," Dorcas patted her husband on the back. He sighed heavily and they both walked to the parking lot. He hoped Douglas will be able to convince Zidani tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 15, 2013
Yippy,wud that gal must not apologise 4 just hissing,now john sud knw that their daughter wont allow any shit 2 disregard her.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Wendyphil(f): 8:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
Thumbs~up Serah!!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 9:46pm On Jan 15, 2013
Kai this sheila is my kinda girl. 'Mi o raye shit mehn' as sexkillz would say grin

She is realy a no nonsense girl

But serah this is too small to keep us for two weeks na sad
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by adebayo201: 11:38pm On Jan 15, 2013
[quote author=cigar icon]Kai this sheila is my kinda girl. 'Mi o raye shit mehn' as sexkillz would say grin

She is realy a no nonsense girl

But serah this is too small to keep us for two weeks na sad/quote] abi oh!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by purpinkx(m): 8:50am On Jan 16, 2013
Why nah ! Abegi update sharp sharp or ... Don't you know who i am ?

1 Like

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Splendblex(f): 4:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hmmm...dat gal never jam person wey go teach her better lesson.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
Part Ten

Charles and Nnese walked into the sitting room and took a seat on the brown leather three seatee. John led the opening prayer and sat down beside his wife when he was through.

"I called this family meeting because we need to talk, air our views on issues, reconcile and seek a way forward," he watched his children and their spouses closely. "We will begin with Martha and Daniel."

Martha cleared her throat, "One, I want to know why my only brother and his wife refused to attend my wedding," she glanced at John, then Eureka, and turned to face their daughter, "Two, I want Sheila to apologize to my husband and I for the prank she played on my 40th birthday."

Charles faced his son, "John, what do you have to say?"

John smiled and looked at no one in particular, "I stopped attending family functions after the day dad banned my daughter from showing up at family gatherings," he glanced at Martha who glared back at him, "Banning Sheila is indirectly suspending me and my wife from coming for family events."

Martha shook her head in disagreement, "Regardless of the ban or suspension, that isn't enough reason for you and your wife to decide not to attend my wedding."

"Exactly," her father added, "She is your sister for heaven's sake."

"Really?" John faced his father, "Sheila is also my daughter."

Nnese sighed, she wondered if they would get to the point of reconciliation. The meeting was turning sour and they had just started.

"I do not regret what I did on your birthday. I was simply retaliating. You slapped me, do you think I would let that go?"

Martha got to her feet, "Look at this incorrigible thing... "

"My daughter is not a 'thing'" Eureka corrected her sister-in-law.
Martha clapped her hands, "Look at them, like mother like daughter."

"Darling please sit down," Daniel pulled his wife back to her seat.

"What kind of a mother are you? Your only daughter seduced a man... Who knows what else she has been doing behind your back? Little prostitute."

Nnese covered her mouth with one of her hands, shock was written all over her face. She couldn't believe that her eldest daughter nursed so much bitterness for her grand-daughter. She noticed Charles's sad countenance. He was equally astounded.

"I will not sit here, while you call my daughter names," Eureka's voice rose a notch.

"Martha, that was uncalled for. I cannot believe that you actually said that," his angry eyes drilled into hers.

She waved a hand at them, "Irresponsible parents, why won't your daughter turn out this way. Shameless father, dormant mother, wayward daughter," she hissed and eyed them.

"It is okay darling," he squeezed her palm and she fell silent. Dorcas cleared her throat and her husband coughed.

"My husband and his partner are at the point of a break up. Our multi-million naira wedding contract is almost non-existent. But, it can be retified. All Sheila needs to do is to apologize to our client, simple."

"Exactly, it doesn't matter whose fault it was. But in good faith, in order for peace to reign, Sheila needs to apologize to our client."

"I don't understand how my so called family will take sides with their client, all because of a few naira notes," she addressed her aunt and uncle.

Dorcas cleared her throat again, "It is not a few naira notes dear. Do you know how much this contract is worth?"

"I don't want to know and I am not going to apologize to those silly girls. For the love of God, they are beneath our social status."

Imabong coughed again, "Look here young lady, there comes a time in life when you need to disregard your social status and do the necessary."

"My daughter will not apologize to a couple of girls who almost got her dragged out of the restaurant and beaten up," Eureka eyed her brother-in-law, "And that is our final stance."

"You cannot be serious... John... " Dorcas turned to her brother.

"You heard her," he responded.

"That is unacceptable!" Her voice rose.

"Then deal with it!"

Nnese covered her face with her hands. This wasn't how they had planned it. Her children were making things worse by throwing insults at one another. Would they ever reconcile? Bitterness and bottled up resentment was eating away at her family and she was helpless. God! God! They needed Him more than they could imagine.

"I have a question to ask dad," he faced his father, "Why in the world would you turn your back on your grand-daughter when she needed you most?"

Charles opened his mouth but nothing came out. He could barely remember the last time his son had spoken to him in this manner.

"Stopping her from seeing her own family does not solve anything, it only worsen it."

He nodded, "I can see that now," he swallowed.

"You are the head of this family, if you cannot make good decisions in the time of crisis," he shook his head, "What will become of this family?"

Charle's mouth moved, but no words came out. Why was John angry at him? What did he do?

"That is enough John! He is your father for Peter's sake," his elder sister berated him. "Coming from you, someone in God's ministry," she eyed him, "I am highly disappointed."

"What did the good book say? Honour your father and your mother... " Dorcas sized her brother up.

John relaxed. Why was he upset?

Nnese held her husband's hand, she could sense his hurt. The meeting had been a total waste of time. But at least, it had opened their eyes. They needed to do something fast before their family disintegrated and dissolved into oblivion.

"Where is Sheila?" Eureka looked at John. Everyone turned to look at where she sat for the past twenty minutes, the seat was empty.

Sheila got into her father's car. She could hardly sit in there a moment longer. Nonsense! Stupid meeting, what was the essence anyway? Everybody hated everybody. What kind of a family was that? She was going home. Her parents could find their own way back. There was no money with her, she would have taken a taxi. Her father would have a fit by the time he discovered that his car keys were gone.

Her phone started to ring. She ignored it. She won't answer it until she got home and was lying on her own bed. She started the car, backed it out of her grand-parents' compound and nosed it into the road.

"She is not picking her calls," Eureka cried out in alarm. John dialed his daughter's number with his phone. It kept on ringing for several minutes.

"Let us go home, she probably got tired of all these unnecessary arguments and headed home."

Nnese closed her eyes and prayed. She hoped her grand-daughter was okay.

John and his wife walked out of the sitting room without speaking to anyone.

"Dad, you must bring John back to his senses. Sheila must apologize to our client. This contract is important to us," Dorcas sat beside her father. He sighed and remained quiet. At that moment, his mind was in turmoil.

Martha hissed and turned to Daniel, "Don't you think we should leave too?"

"We will... Please be patient."

John and Eureka returned looking worried.

"Sheila left with our car."

Martha started laughing, "Wonders shall never end."

"When did she start driving?" Nnese tried to get up. Charles helped her to her feet.

"Why don't you call her again?" He suggested.

John dailed his daughter's number, but there was no response.

"We will take you home, hopefully she got there safely," Imabong offered. John nodded in agreement.

"Honey," he glanced at his wife.

"I will stay here," Dorcas leaned back on the seatee.

"All right then," Imabong, John and Eureka left in a hurry.

"Take me to the room, I need to pray," Nnese beckoned to her husband.

John, Imabong and Eureka sat in the doctor's office. They had found the remains of John's car at the roadside, several miles away from the Adams' mansion. They were informed by people around that the driver of the car ran into an electric poll while trying to avoid hitting a child that escaped from his mother's grip and crossed the road all by himself. They were directed to a nearby clinic, but they were not allowed to see Sheila.

The doctor stopped writing and looked up at them, "The patient hit her head on the steering wheel when she ran into the electric poll."

Eureka tightened her grip on her husband's hand. She hoped her daughter's injuries were mild.

"The cut on her forehead is a little deep, but it has been stitched. We ran several tests. I can assure you that she is okay."

"Thank God," she whispered. She hoped Sheila can be discharged that evening.

"That's goodnews," Imabong patted John on the shoulder.

The doctor cleared his throat. They all stared at him, wondering what else he wanted to say.

"The patient... "

"Yes... " John leaned forward.

"She doesn't know who she is."

"What!" Imabong exclaimed.

"What does that mean?" John addressed the doctor.

"What happened to my baby girl?" She cried out.

"Please... Please... Please, you need to remain calm."

"Calm? Seriously?" Imabong frowned at the doctor, "Your father is a retired medical doctor John. I think we should transfer Sheila to one of his hospitals," he got up.

Eureka nodded in agreement. John met the doctor's relaxed gaze.

"What is it doctor?"

"We think she is suffering from amnesia."

"No!" Eureka locked gazes with the doctor.

Imabong walked out of the office, he was tired of listening to the doctor's diagnosis.

"Thank you doctor. Please prepare my daughter for a transfer. We would like to seek a second opinion," John shook hands with the doctor and walked out with his wife.

Charles spoke to his children and their spouses in the waiting room.

"Sheila has been seen by one of the best doctors in the whole of Africa. I have also checked herself. I might be retired, but I know my onions."

Boma chuckled, but no one noticed. He had boasted about his grand-father's medical achievements when he was in school. Charles Adams was the main reason why the Adams' social status had risen over the years.

"She is okay. She would be discharged today."

Eureka sighed in relief. John squeezed her hand. It had been a long weekend.

"But, she has been diagnosed with amnesia."

Martha felt no remorse. She couldn't be bothered whether her neice lived or died. These emotions made her shudder, when did she become so bitter?

"She doesn't know who she is, she doesn't remember anything about her past. I want her to see everybody today. Hopefully, she will recognize someone. But if she doesn't... " He coughed, "It can take days, weeks, months or worse, years, before her complete memory returns."

Eureka dabbed her wet eyes with an handkerchief. How would it feel like if their daughter did not recognize them? She wasn't sure if she could go through with it. God! Help!

"We will see her in batches, let's start with Dorcas, Imabong and their children," Charles led them all to Sheila's room.

The doctors and nurses said her name was Sheila Adams. It sounded strange. Why couldn't she remember? She had been scared since she gained consciousness. Not knowing who she was and trying to retrieve nineteen years of memories had scared the life out of her. The retired doctor told her that he was her grand-father. But, she doesn't know him. He had promised to bring her parents and the rest of the family. She hoped she will remember someone. Even if it is just one person, that would comfort her fried and blank mind.

The retired doctor told her that her memories would return gradually. It could take days, weeks, months or fearfully, years. She hoped it won't take that long. She would definitely go crazy if it took that long.

The door opened and the retired doctor walked in with four people.

"Good morning Sheila," he sat on the bed beside her.

"Good morning Doctor Adams."

"How is my girl doing?"

"So, so... "

"It is going to be all right," he patted her on the shoulder, "This is my youngest daughter, Dorcas," she stepped forward, "Her husband, Imabong and their children... Boma and Edidiong, your cousins."

Sheila looked at them. Dorcas was a very beautiful woman. Her husband was also easy on the eyes. It was a good match. Their children were the exact carbon copies of their parents. Nobody said a word, they were all starring at her, hoping that she would recognize them.

"Beautiful family... " She stared at the bedsheet.

Charles dismissed them. Dorcas and her family left.

"It is okay, don't give up yet."

Dorcas and her family returned to the waiting room.

"How is my grand-daughter?" Nnese looked up at them.

Dorcas shook her head and sat down.

"She didn't recognize us," Imabong sat beside his wife.

"She called us 'beautiful family'," Boma folded his arms across his chest.

"Sheila... The Sheila I know isn't that nice," Edidiong tried not to laugh.

Charles returned, "Martha, Daniel, Nnese, you are next."

Martha wished she didn't have to see her neice. She doubted if the brat would recognize her. She wished she could convince Daniel to take her home. She shook the thoughts away and concentrated on the task ahead. They followed her father into a private room and found Sheila sitting on the bed watching the television.

"Sheila, I want you to meet your grandma."

Nnese stepped forward and sat on the bed, "How are you baby girl?"

Sheila looked at her. She felt comfortable with her, just the same way she felt relaxed with the retired doctor.

"I am... okay I guess."

"Hang in there darling. It will all come back to you."

She turned and saw a couple staring at her.

"This is my eldest daughter, Martha and her husband, Daniel."

"Hi... "

Martha and Daniel exchanged glances. She didn't recognize them.

"Hi... " Daniel smiled at her and kicked his wife on the knee. She cleared her throat and tried to smile.

"Hi... "

Sheila returned her attention to the television. She could sense that her aunt did not like her. She wondered why.

"I will go and get your parents."

She nodded without looking at him. Charles led them all out. Nnese broke down crying while Martha and Daniel returned to the waiting room.

"How did it go?" Dorcas asked her sister.

Martha shrugged, "She is like a different person... We are like strangers to her."

Eureka wished she could close her ears. Their comments and assumptions were accelerating her fears.

"Come on, let's go and see our daughter."

She held her husband's arm and followed him to the room Sheila's was kept.

They knocked and walked in. Sheila looked at them and they stared back at her. She noticed that she looked a little bit like them. She made a sigh of relief. They must be her parents. Why can't she remember her own parents? She noticed that the woman's eyes were red. She must have been crying. The man looked tired and sad. They must have been worried about her. She could feel their hurt. It made her want to start to cry.

"Are you my mum and dad?"

They both nodded.

"Can you hug me?"

"Yes pumpkin... " Eureka began to sob. They sat on the bed beside her and pulled her close.

"I am so scared," Sheila began to cry.

"Oh baby... " John could hardly hold back his tears.

"I don't remember anybody... I feel so lost."

"It is okay sugar plum. Your memories will return. We are here for you," John assured her.

"Jesus is also here with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you," Eureka dabbed Sheila's face with her handkerchief.

"Never, ever?"

"Never ever," she smiled and Sheila returned it with a grin.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by adebayo201: 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ha! Pity Sheila.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Ice4jez(m): 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
sorry my dear sheila.wat is wrong with my leg oh.i seems to notice its dancing azonto
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by purpinkx(m): 11:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ice4jez: sorry my dear sheila.wat is wrong with my leg oh.i seems to notice its dancing azonto
i see you love Tonto dikeh's tracks ... Continue..
sheila do u remember me ?
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Cetezin: 9:37am On Jan 20, 2013
I think its better this way for everyone. Nice story, can't wait for the next episode the suspense is killin me.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Fishoy(f): 10:32am On Jan 20, 2013
Loooved wat hapend 2 sheila,,,,nt dat am wicked bt am hapy*wink*
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by BukkyDan(f): 11:40am On Jan 20, 2013
Bukkydan: Sheila do you remember me?

Sheila: no, hi?

Bukkydan: well, I'm one of those few Nlanders who love you, we'll never leave you.

Sheila: really? Can you hug me?

Bukkydan: sure sweerie
( and they both hugged)

Hey Serah, your story is...too...much, love your style.

1 Like

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Wendyphil(f): 5:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
Poor Sheila,anyway i gues its 4 d best.Nice work Serah..

1 Like

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Splendblex(f): 5:55pm On Jan 20, 2013
Aunty serah,weldone o.sheila get well soon eh
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by movmentish(m): 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2013
cry
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by MumZ(f): 7:53pm On Jan 21, 2013
Maybe nw she ll learn 2 respect pple's felns n curb her tongue. Nice twist 2 d story, definately dint c it comn. I ws beginin 2 get pisd off wit Shiela n hr parents. Dey dnt seem 2 av ny control ova hr.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by megareal: 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
Serah oooooo. I beg you don't keep me waiting o. Update fast abeg.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Gbadebo01(m): 9:45pm On Jan 21, 2013
serah.. that was good o... very nice twist didnt see it coming... weldone.. more ink to Uя̩̥̊ pen..
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by lapagegirl(f): 10:14am On Jan 22, 2013
Oh Sheilla dear, I feel so sorry for her and her parents.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 10:27pm On Jan 22, 2013
No no, not my Sheila, not now that I had already bought her wedding gown and my suit. Noooo *faints*

Serah u are realy falling my hand. I have finished reading two stories already of which I started urs b4 them. Abi u want make we dey read ur story lyk say we dey watch soap opera ni?
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Demlad99(m): 1:37am On Jan 25, 2013
This tory sweet die. I pity Sheila sha. But she sef stubborn no be small. serahsadeiyare, more power to your elbow.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
Part Eleven

Sheila laid on her bed lost in thoughts. It was a few minutes past eight. She had woken up thirty minutes ago. The night had seemed short, although she slept well. Her parents told her that they were in the longer days, shorter nights time frame.

She had been discharged from the hospital a few days ago. She did not recognize the house or her own bedroom. Her parents had been supportive. They were lovely people, she was glad that she was their daughter.

The retired doctor, her grand-father, had scheduled weekly check up for her at the hospital. She wished she didn't have to go. She had also been informed that she would be spending quality time with members of the Adams family, hopefully, it will help her to retrieve her memory.

She wondered what kind of relationship she had, had with each of her family members. Whenever she remembered her aunt, Martha, it made her shudder. What did she do to deserve such coldness? The woman simply didn't like her. If her relationship with Martha was less cordial, what about other members of the family?

Someone knocked at her door. She blinked and sat up. The door opened and her parents walked in, one after the other.

"Morning pumpkin."

"Hope you had a goodnight."

"Morning dad, mum."

Her mother sat on the bed, while her father leaned on the wall.

"How are you feeling?"

She shrugged.

"I bet you are hungry. I made club sandwich," she smiled at her.

She smiled back, eating sandwich alongside a cup of hot milky beverage, that would be a fantastic meal.

"You are going to visit your grandparents today."

She looked up at her dad, "Really?"

"Yes pumpkin."

"Will you take your bath or will you eat first?"

Sheila bit her lower lip, "Hmmm... I think I will eat first."

"That's the Sheila I know," her dad headed for the door. Her mother helped her up.

"Do I like eating before taking my bath?"

"Yes," her parents choroused.

She giggled and followed them out of the room.

Her parents dropped her off at her grandparents' home and promised to return in the evening. She didn't know what to expect. The retired doctor and his wife had been nice to her since the first day she met them. She hoped they were not pretending.

The security guard allowed her in. She found her way into the mansion and met her grandparents in the sitting room.

"Baby girl, come over here."

She smiled and joined them on the seatee.

"How are you doing?"

She nodded and relaxed. They were not pretending. They were as real as her own skin. Aside her parents, she felt safe with them.

"Have you eaten?"

"Yes, grandma."

"Good."

"Have you seen the doctor this week?"

She nodded.

"Don't worry. The check ups will soon be over," he patted her on the shoulder.

"Since you are spending the whole day with us, I have got some things lined up."

She smiled and met her grandma's warm gaze.

"We are going to make lunch together, I will teach you how to make a local delicacy, then we will all play scrabble later on."

"That sounds nice."

"Glad you like my plans."

"When do we start?"

"Now," her grandfather pulled her up.

She looked at him with one brow raised, "Are you cooking too?"

He nodded.

"Really?"

He started to laugh.

"Your grandpa is an excellent cook."

"Seriously?"

He placed both hands on his waist, "Young woman, I have got skills."

She giggled, "Okay, let us find out."

"Attention! Forward march," he micmiked a soldier and headed out. Nnese and Sheila marched after him.

Cooking with her grandparents turned out to be fun. They gisted her about her father's childhood and how he met her mother. They were so engrossed in their conversation that they almost forgot what they were cooking. After they had, had lunch, they sat in the garden and relaxed with a game of scrabble.

"I thought intelligence reduces with age," she eyed her grandparents. They had won the first round of the game and it looked like they would win again. Their points were higher than hers.

"Who told you that nonsense?" Charles closed the dictionary.

"She is just venting, we won, remember," she winked at her husband.

"You are right my dear."

They both started to laugh. She bit at her lower lip and decided to win the next round at all cost.

"You better fasten your seat belts, this round is mine."

"Really?" They both choroused and locked gazes. It had been ages since they had, had so much fun with their grand-daughter.

"I refuse to be beaten by a Seventy-one year old man and a Sixty-Six year old woman, not on my watch."

Nnese giggled, "Young man, this sassy lady means business."

"Let us teach her a lesson or two. My white hairs aren't there for fashion," he grinned and winked back at her.

Sheila picked up their empty glasses, "I will go and refill this and be back in a jiffy," she got up and half ran and half walked into the house.

A teardrop slid down her face.

"Darling... " His concerned gaze met her calm ones.

"God makes all things to work for our good... Her lost memory, look at her now... Can you compare her to the Sheila we used to know?"

He sighed. He had made the same observations. It had been years since his grand-daughter had acted or spoken in a civil way to anyone. It made him begin to wonder what had caused drastic change.

"I believe God is giving her... and us... the whole family a second chance."

He folded his arms across his chest. His wife could be right. The Adams family was standing on a very shaky ground and they needed a divine intervention. This could be it!

Two days later, she visited her aunt, Dorcas and her family. Her cousins kept their distance, while their parents tried to keep her entertained. She wondered what kind of relationship she had with them all. She hoped her cousins will stop avioding her before she returned home. She would really like to sit and chat with them.

Dorcas left Sheila and her husband in the sitting room and literarily pulled her children into the kitchen.

"What is wrong with you two?"

Boma folded his arms across his chest, while Edidiong frowned, but avoided her mother's glare.

"She won't be here forever... Stop avoiding her and try to chat her up."

"Mum... This is not easy for us. Regardless of the fact that she lost her memory, we can't just pretend and play nice."

"Sheila is bad news. She is trouble with a capital letter 'T', I would rather give her a wide breth than clash with her."

Dorcas placed a frustrated hand on her forehead. She dropped it and tried to convince her children, "I know the old Sheila... But the girl out there is one lost puppy."

Boma and his sister groaned. Sheila had hurt them too many times, in words and actions. Her lost of memory was like an opportunity to take their pound of flesh. But their parents wanted them to help her. How do one play nice with someone who had been mean to them for years.

"I understand how you both feel. Your father and I feel the same way, but... Okay, what would Jesus do?"

"Mum... " Boma frowned.

"Yes, what would Jesus do? An eye for an eye is not the solution here."

"Really?" Edidiong rested her weight on the fridge.

"Yes, at this point, I believe we all need to forgive Sheila and look for a way forward."

They stared at her in disbelief.

"I am serious," she and her husband had discussed it the other night. Offence, unforgiveness and bitterness was tearing them apart. Every member of the Adams family need to forgive one another and reconcile. That was the only solution to their problems. It was the only way forward.

Boma and his sister locked gazes. If their parents were willing to forgive Sheila after everything she had done and said to them in the past, they could also do the same, no matter how difficult it would be.
"I have a suggestion."

"Okay."

"I think we should take her out."

Dorcas scratched her forehead.

"Just me, Boma and Sheila."

Her brother's face brightened, "We could go to the cinema, eat out... It will help us to relax, talk..."

"And reconcile," Edidiong added.

Dorcas sighed, it sounded like a good idea, but she wasn't sure if she could trust her children alone with Sheila.

"Mum... "

"We will be fine."

"Let us discuss this with your father, and of course, Sheila."

Boma shrugged. Edidiong wondered if their cousin would agree.

Boma, Edidiong and Sheila walked out of the cinema hall. They had just watched a movie and had decided to eat at one of the restaurants in the building before leaving.

"Have you tasted their new pizza?"

Edidiong and Sheila shook their heads.

"You need to. It's like tasting heaven."

Edidiong rolled her eyes and Sheila giggled.

"I am serious, come with me."

They followed him. Edidiong picked out a table for them while Boma went to order their meal.

"I hope the pizza tastes as good as he sounds."

Edidiong rolled her eyes again, "We will see."

Sheila browsed through her phone and saw a ping from her mother. She decided to reply. She had, had a lovely time so far. Her cousins were cool to hang out with. They could do this every weekend or whenever they were free.

"What are you doing?"

"Hmmm... "

"Who are you chatting with?"

"My mum," her eyes remained fixed on the phone. Edidiong stared at her cousin. It was difficult to believe that she and her brother were on an outing with Sheila. When was the last time they had gone out together? Ten years ago? She wondered why they stopped. How did they all drift apart?

"Here you go!" Boma placed a box of steaming pizza on their table. The aroma distracted Sheila.

"It smells good."

"I hope it tastes good."

"Trust me," Boma winked at them.

"What about drinks?"

"Your turn," he pulled out an empty chair and sat down. His sister frowned.

"Don't worry, I will get it," Sheila got up and hurried away. Her cousins watched her go and exchanged glances.

"It's hard to believe, right?"

His sister nodded.

"The last time she was this nice was when she was nine."

Edidiong nodded again. She remembered being close to Sheila when they were young. She would give anything to have that friendship back.

"Do you think she will return to the old Sheila when her memory returns?"

Boma shrugged, "Let's wait and see."

She sighed. She hoped not. If the old and new Sheila can blend, excluding all the drama, that would turn out well, that would be fantastic, a wish come true.

Sheila stood at the gate and turned to look at her parents again.

"We will pick you up in the evening," her father started the car.

"Go on... Go in," her mother encouraged her.

She exhaled, turned around and pushed the gate open. The moment she stepped into the large compound, John drove off.

Her aunt's house was as large as her grandparents' mansion. She wished she didn't need to visit them. The woman doesn't like her. She had sensed it since the first day they met. She took a deep breath and started walking towards the front door.

Martha watched Sheila from her bedroom window. She had dreaded this day for the past one week. If not for her husband's constant plea, she would have disagreed when her father informed her that her neice would pay them a visit, all in the name of recovering her memory.

Daniel came out of the bathroom, "What are you looking at?"

Martha drew the curtains and headed for the door, "Sheila is here."

"Oh, I see... " He watched his wife leave the room. It had taken him a whole week to convince her. The young helpless girl needed their help. What else could they do?

Martha unlock the front door and opened it. Sheila halted when she saw her aunt standing at the door. Both women locked gazes.

"Don't just stand there, come in," she turned and walked into the house. Sheila felt like leaving. She could call her parents and ask them to pick her up. She wasn't sure she could go through with it. She had a feeling that things might end badly before sunset. Her parents wanted her to do this. They believed it will help her. She exhaled, swallowed hard and stepped into the house.

Martha and her husband were seated in the living room. She greeted them and took a seat. No one said a word and the silence was irritating. What is she doing here?

Daniel nudged his wife, but she refused to say anything. She didn't even look at him.

"So... Sheila, how have you been?"

"Okay."

"Can we get you anything to eat or drink?"

She shook her head.

"Okay," he glanced at his wife and kicked her.

"Ouch!" She glared at him. What was wrong with him? Why must she speak to her? She was in no mood to chit chat with the girl. This whole visit-thing was a failed experiment.

Sheila stood, "I want to go home."

Daniel opened his mouth, then closed it. He looked at his wife and frowned. Martha cleared her throat and said nothing. Good! Finally, she would have peace in her own home.

"I will call my parents, I don't think they have gone far."

"Sheila... "

"Why do hate me so much?" Her question was directed at her aunt.

Martha blinked and looked at her.

"What did I do to you to deserve this... this coldness... and... and hatred."

Her aunt eyed her, "I do not need to refresh your memory."

"Martha!"

Sheila shook her head and walked out.

"What is wrong with you?"

Martha ignored her husband and walked out on him.

"Martha!" What was wrong with her? Why couldn't she get past her bitterness towards her neice? It was beginning to affect them negatively.

Sheila headed for the gate. How she wished she could recover all her memories. She dialed her father's number. The phone began to ring. Suddenly, her vision blurred. Images flashed through her mind's eye. She stopped walking and tried to breathe. She felt as if a thousand bells were ringing in her head. The images played like a video tape, events, conversations, everything she had said and done in the past nineteen years ran through her mind. Her heart beat accelerated. She placed her hands on her head. Her kneels caved in. She hit the ground and darkness consumed her.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
Ope she don remember, if it was moi,d woman called martha go wen.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by lapagegirl(f): 2:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
can't wait for her to get her memory back
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by purpinkx(m): 3:45pm On Jan 26, 2013
More more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more !

Everybody wants more !

1 Like

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by HerHotness(f): 9:03pm On Jan 26, 2013
Serah which kain suspense be dis? This is painfull nd heartbreaking... I love ur work too much!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Osgee(m): 10:11pm On Jan 26, 2013
serah, e bi lyk say u no knw say i b oliver twist ko? I want mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

VALENCRY, My Valentine Experience ( Short Story ) / Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Onyeka Nwelue: "A Lady Asked For Sex Before She Could Give Me Loan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.