Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,837 members, 7,872,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:38 PM

Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting (19182 Views)

Face Of Adam Lanza Connecticut Elementary School Gunman / Connecticut Shooter Adam Lanza Was "Not Well" - Family Members / UPDATE: 20 Children Dead In Connecticut Elementary School Massacre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by murphylee08: 1:29pm On Dec 15, 2012
There have been many dramatic and emotional moments at the White House — but few have been as wrenching as this.

President Obama fought to keep his composure and repeatedly wiped away tears as he addressed the nation about the horror inside a Connecticut grade school.

“Our hearts are broken today,” he said.

He spoke not just as a President, but as a father.

“I know there’s not a parent in America who doesn’t feel the same overwhelming grief that I do,” Obama said. “The majority of those who died today were children — beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old.”

They had their entire lives ahead of them – birthdays, graduations, kids of their own,” President Obama said during an emotional press conference about the deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

The President then stopped and remained silent for a full 12 seconds to compose himself.

When he summoned the strength to speak again, he lamented the bright futures that had been abruptly lost.

“They had their entire lives ahead of them — birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own,” he said.

And then he stopped again. And wiped an eye.

The emotional, four-minute address showcased a side of Obama the public has rarely seen. Even some cable TV commentators who are never at a loss for words seemed stunned.

In the days before his November 2008 election, Obama cried while remembering his late grandmother, but his public persona is that of a cool, even detached, leader.

The sudden outpouring recalled another dark hour in the nation’s history — President George W. Bush’s heartbreak in the frantic first days after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Before his address, Obama signed an order directing that flags at federal buildings across the nation and the world be flown at half-staff as tribute to those lost.

Obama spoke about the rampage from a room named after the victim of another high-profile shooting — the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room. Brady was the press secretary who was shot and paralyzed in the 1981 assassination attempt on former President Ronald Reagan.

As Obama fought back tears, two of his aides stood nearby, clutching hands, openly weeping.

The President promised unspecified “meaningful action” in the weeks ahead to prevent yet more shooting tragedies.

But, most immediately, he said he would do what “every parent in America will do, which is hug our children a little tighter and we’ll tell them that we love them.”

The President, the father of two daughters, wiped away another tear, and then added, “But there are families in Connecticut who cannot do that tonight. And they need all of us right now.”
cc:http://www./president-obam…-shootingphoto/ ‎

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by malele(m): 1:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
Really love for ur country men

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by ayox2003: 2:15pm On Dec 15, 2012
Gun control! Gun control!!

Ha! When will they scrap this law?

Data shows that 12,000 people are killed from shootings every year because of this stupid "arm-urself-mentality" in the US

Meanwhile in Japan, 9 people die every year from shootings because its against the law for any citizen to have a gun.

See the difference?

From the lunatic who sent people to their early graves at the theatre to this one.

There is no Xanadu or Shangri-la in this world - "freedom" comes with some ills. They should just scrap it.

May their young souls rest in peace.

Frawzey

11 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Kemy11(m): 3:59pm On Dec 15, 2012
He didnt say anytn about compensation. i forgot no b naija

2 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by egift(m): 5:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
Seriously it is time to talk about Gun Control. I know this is a very hot topic.

But for political reasons, Obama can go for enforcing existing laws.

This is very sad, imagine killing of Kids. Shameful.

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by alfredo4u(m): 5:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
his own was tears, mine was blood.
hw i wish?
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Siga: 5:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
This senseless murders will unfortunately happen again and again....not that Im praying for it but, until US change their gun laws...it will happen....all those b4stard Republicans and NRA are making tonnes of money making and selling all these fire arms...so, they will always lobby to keep the culture alive....I mean, why would one person have guns that can shoot 100 rounds in few mins....the same guns soldiers dey use for war....even Taliban no get these kain weapons...na wa...poor kids just killed and now....they are saying mental issue....u ever see mad person for naija carry gun?

3 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by 50calibre(m): 5:32pm On Dec 15, 2012
This is how a humane country works, a real leader should have empathy and sympathy.

How many times has goodluck even showed concern for women and children being massacred by boko haram?

If america's gun laws are changed, what will they do about the guns already in circulation? I see a spike in gun sales soon

2 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by egift(m): 5:32pm On Dec 15, 2012
Emotional Obama Vows Action To Prevent Shootings ‘Regardless Of The Politics’

An emotional President Barack Obama vowed on Friday to “take meaningful action, regardless of the politics,” to prevent future tragedies like the shooting massacre Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
sandy hook newtown 225x300 Emotional Obama Vows Action To Prevent Shootings ‘Regardless Of The Politics’

President Barack Obama wipes a tear as he speaks about the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.

“Our hearts are broken today,” Obama said in a brief statement at the White House briefing room, frequently pausing to wipe tears from his eyes. “The majority of those who died today were children, beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. They had their entire lives ahead of them: birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own. Among the fallen were also teachers, men and women who devoted their lives to helping our children fulfill their dreams.”

Obama expressed sorrow for the victims’ loved ones and sympathy for the parents of the children who survived but who know that “their children’s innocence has been torn away from them too early.”

“As a country we have been through this too many times,” Obama said, listing a series of mass shootings over the past few years in places like Aurora, Colo.

“These neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children. And we’re going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics,” he stressed.

Earlier, White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters that ”today’s not the day” to talk about possible new gun control steps meant to prevent such tragedies in the future.

Obama ordered flags over government facilities to be flown at half-staff until sunset on Dec. 18. Shortly after he spoke, Connecticut State Police said the death toll included 20 children, six adults and the shooter.

Obama learned of the rampage at 10:30 a.m. from Homeland Security adviser John Brennan. He later discussed it by telephone with FBI Director Robert Mueller and Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy.

Obama’s reference to acting “regardless of the politics” seemed likely to be a reference to deep opposition in Congress to new gun control legislation.

“Today’s not … a day to engage in the usual Washington policy debates,” Carney told reporters. “That day will come, but today’s not that day.” Carney said renewing a federal assault weapons ban “does remain a commitment” of the president. The ban expired in 2004, and Obama has taken no serious steps to renew it on Capitol Hill.

Carney declined to answer repeated questions on when would be an appropriate time for lawmakers in Washington to discuss possible actions to prevent future tragedies. ”Our minds and our focus need to be on what’s happening there and providing assistance where we can to those who need it,” he said, urging “enormous sympathy for the families that are affected.”

One reporter pointed to Obama’s remarks in July just days after a shooting spree that left 12 dead and about 60 injured at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.

“I hope that over the next several days, next several weeks and next several months, we all reflect on how we can do something about some of the senseless violence that ends up marring this country,” Obama said at the time.

Obama has made similar comments before, including at a January 2011 memorial for the victims of a mass shooting in Tucson, Ariz., in which then-Rep. Gabby Giffords was grievously wounded.

“We have to examine all the facts behind this tragedy. We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence. We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future,” Obama said. ”But what we cannot do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on each other. That we cannot do.”

Republican House Speaker John Boehner likewise ordered the Stars and Stripes lowered over the Capitol.

“The horror of this day seems so unbearable, but we will lock arms and unite as citizens, for that is how Americans rise above unspeakable evil,” Boehner said in a written statement. “Let us all come together in God’s grace to pray for the families of the victims, that they may find some comfort and peace amid such suffering.

“Let us give thanks for all those who helped get people to safety, and take heart from their example. The House of Representatives—like every American—stands ready to assist the people of Newtown, Connecticut,” Boehner said.

http://nairametro.com/emotional-obama-vows-action-to-prevent-shootings-regardless-of-the-politics/
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
Kemy11: He didnt say anytn about compensation. i forgot no b naija

grin grin
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by radioxyz: 5:38pm On Dec 15, 2012
interesting
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Tolaaaaannni(f): 5:39pm On Dec 15, 2012
I hope this will be a catalyst for the conversation I have been waiting on for so long; GUN CONTROL. We need to

start having difficult conversation about this and the 2nd amendment. If little children are not safe in their schools, then I don't think anyone is

safe.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by doctokwus: 5:39pm On Dec 15, 2012
Don't annoy someone dis evening.U are tryin to compare a pple who are living in a modern,law guiding nation to anoda set of pple who av collectively decided not to leave their cavemen existence and ways of doing things.

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cyril83(m): 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
*sigh*...Obama weeps over conncticut shooting while GEJ had never for once shed any tears despite over series of gunmen shooting and boko haram bombing...OMG america is definately a beautiful home for every human being

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Kzinne: 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
and some people are killin themselves for american visa
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Kzinne: 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
and some people are killin themselves for american visa rubbish
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Clemzy16(m): 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2012
RIP to the little children that lost their lives. But my concern right now is neither the children that were killed nor the obama crying. Although, it is a tragic event but it could have happened anywhere else in the world. But my concern right now is that this thing happens and its normal but if it happened in africa they wouldn't for once hesitate to tag that country as one of the most terrorized countries in the world. This is the major reason why we africans need not mind whatever americans calls us. We are still growing. Africa is no doubt a developing continent and we should know that political unrest is bound to live amongst us. But our stride to eliminate it is what matters most.

5 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Lordave: 5:42pm On Dec 15, 2012
Conneticut chapter 11:35, Obama wept.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Hailedin9ja: 5:43pm On Dec 15, 2012
President Obama fought to keep his composure and repeatedly wiped away tears as he addressed the nation about the horror inside a Connecticut grade school.

And the President cried.

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by egift(m): 5:44pm On Dec 15, 2012

In most societies, the authorities try to contain the crisis, prosecute the criminals, support relieve, etc.

In Nigeria, our leaders simply bribe pay compensation to victims, make noise, approve money for their merriment and forget the rest.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cyril83(m): 5:45pm On Dec 15, 2012
Kzinne: and some people are killin themselves for american visa rubbish
dey there dey press pimples, if dem give you make you no go,con see if your mama no go disown you..hypocrite!

5 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Sijo01(f): 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
Obama wept!
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cyril83(m): 5:52pm On Dec 15, 2012
Clemzy16: RIP to the little children that lost their lives. But my concern right now is neither the children that were killed nor the obama crying. Although, it is a tragic event but it could have happened anywhere else in the world. But my concern right now is that this thing happens and its normal but if it happened in africa they wouldn't for once hesitate to tag that country as one of the most terrorized countries in the world. This is the major reason why we africans need not mind whatever americans calls us. We are still growing. Africa is no doubt a developing continent and we should know that political unrest is bound to live amongst us. But our stride to eliminate it is what matters most.
crap!...we call ourselves names mehn,american aint call anybdy names...its an unusual event there but usual damn things in africa, shedding of innocents blood has been our tradition for long and that's why God has decided to alienate himself from africa....everyday killing WTF

2 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Lordave: 5:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
cyril83: dey there dey press pimples, if dem give you make you no go,con see if your mama no go disown you..hypocrite!
hahahaha. I don die! Which pimple, na her work??

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by gtrust: 5:53pm On Dec 15, 2012
I time has come to apply MEDIA BLACK-OUT on all these copy-cat murderers!

Just do NOT broadcast the story.
Keep it as quite as possible and no one will do this nonsense again
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by rastamouse: 5:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
Sijo01: Obama weeped!
lipsrsealed grin cheesy
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Lordave: 5:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
cyril83: crap!...we call ourselves names mehn,american aint call anybdy names...its an unusual event there but usual damn things in africa, shedding of innocents blood has been our tradition for long and that's why God has decided to allienate himself from africa....everyday killing WTF
God hasn't alienated himself from Africa mate, cuz HE's right here with me in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by eldoradoxx: 5:58pm On Dec 15, 2012
cyril83: *sigh*...Obama weeps over conncticut shooting while GEJ had never for once shed any tears despite over series of gunmen shooting and boko haram bombing...OMG america is definately a beautiful home for every human being
Who says that GEJ has never wept openly for a calamity in Nigeria, I saw pix of weeping GEJ after 25 2011 Madalla church bombing when he visited the site and saw the devastation, also at crash site of Dana air, he was wiping tears away. But weeping to me is more of show of human emotion and has got nothing to do we good governance. Who says that Robert Mugabes of this world, and their likes don't weep too!!!

3 Likes

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cyril83(m): 5:59pm On Dec 15, 2012
gbagaun
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by misterh(m): 6:00pm On Dec 15, 2012
, *wept*
@topic, to guard against future occurrence, the issue of Gun Control needs to be given serious consideration. RIP to those young and innocent souls!
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cyril83(m): 6:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
Lordave: God hasn't alienated himself from Africa mate, cuz HE's right here with me in Africa.
dont personalize my quote...God'spirit might be right there with you but definately not with a country that takes shower with innocent blood everyday

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Brisingr(m): 6:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
cyril83: *sigh*...Obama weeps over conncticut shooting while GEJ had never for once shed any tears despite over series of gunmen shooting and boko haram bombing...OMG america is definately a beautiful home for every human being
see this guy, no president cry pass GEJ

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

One Person Killed After Gunmen Attack Church In Istanbul. / End Of ISIS? Putin Sends In His Most Ruthless Special Forces / Zambia: Police Bars Ex-president Lungu From "Political Jogging"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.