Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,746 members, 7,915,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 03:54 PM

Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting (19208 Views)

Face Of Adam Lanza Connecticut Elementary School Gunman / Connecticut Shooter Adam Lanza Was "Not Well" - Family Members / UPDATE: 20 Children Dead In Connecticut Elementary School Massacre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Revolva(m): 7:20pm On Dec 15, 2012
But it amazed me why are some americans so useless -- what has the system done to him that he has to kill lil kids..shame america
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Lordave: 7:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
gboss4sure:

No country's police is the best, what happened in CT was a security lapse and its clear.
But some are better
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by dino2006(m): 7:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
Gov Patrick Yakowa and General Azazi, confirmed dead couple of minutes ago. They were involved in a plane crash.
Reports reachin me from my peeps in kaduna. Someone should pls put it on front page now. OMG! Lord have mercy.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
50calibre: This is how a humane country works, a real leader should have empathy and sympathy.

How many times has goodluck even showed concern for women and children being massacred by boko haram?

If america's gun laws are changed, what will they do about the guns already in circulation? I see a spike in gun sales soon

There's nothing humane about allowing a devilish gun culture to thrive IMO
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
taharqa: Security lapse that hv happend how many times dis yr? Hv u by chance bn keeping a tap on d No of such mindless mass killings in America dis yr alone? How many times does a tin hv to happen b4 it stops bn 'lapses'?

If its not security lapse, then what is it?
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by ChiSun27(m): 7:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
infact am pained ryt nw....ppl r xtremly wickd...wat was d offence of dyz innocent children dat was killed lyk lizard...cnt jst control my hissing ryt nw....may dr souls find peace with d Lord.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 15, 2012
Lordave: I thought they said their police is one of the bests in the world?
If their police are actually performing well, why should civilians be allowed to get armed?

So really there's not much difference between Somalia and America then since civilians, terrorists & pirates can get guns to wreck havoc...
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by jmoore(m): 7:44pm On Dec 15, 2012
cyril83: dont personalize my quote...God'spirit might be right there with you but definately not with a country that takes shower with innocent blood everyday
What about USA where abortion which is murder is legal? smh. Don't argue on things relating to God when you have no knowledge of it.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Lordave: 7:54pm On Dec 15, 2012
Damn! What's the problem with this forum Can't someone qoute and comment again? Error error error, this is just annoying
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
eldoradoxx: pretendin becos he is Gej, not so?
na u sabi
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by mkoabiola: 8:09pm On Dec 15, 2012
A committe or probe panel shud b set up.
Where is d safest place.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by greaterlove(m): 8:12pm On Dec 15, 2012
I get tired of these gun control arguments, every time an incident like this happens the media talks about it for a while and it all dies down later. Obama can't stop it, its beyond him and there are folks who believe he will be assassinated if he tries it, all he can do is limit the kind of arms you can own, which will still be an uphill task. My opinion about this gun issue is that majority of americans love it, they love the violence, give this news 2 weeks and it will be dead like others and nothing will be said about it in the media and no congressman or senator will be fighting for gun control with passion, not even up to half the fight they put up to make sure susan rice's name was dropped from the secretary of state list. May the souls of these innocent ones rest in peace and may the politicians and media in america be less hypocritical about gun control.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by ikenna44: 8:16pm On Dec 15, 2012
I dnt blive our(Nigeria) law permits us 2 ve guns... How many pple die every year in Nigeria 4rm shootings?

ayox2003: Gun control! Gun control!!

Ha! When will they scrap this law?

Data shows that 12,000 people are killed from shootings every year because of this stupid "arm-urself-mentality" in the US

Meanwhile in Japan, 9 people die every year from shootings because its against the law for any citizen to have a gun.

See the difference?

From the lunatic who sent people to their early graves at the theatre to this one.

There is no Xanadu or Shangri-la in this world - "freedom" comes with some ills. They should just scrap it.

May their young souls rest in peace.

Frawzey

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by simdam500(m): 8:24pm On Dec 15, 2012
A leader indeed, but yet i'll appreciate wit i've got(jonathan)
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cowgurl: 8:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
who wouldn't be broken after watching such horrific tragedy?
c'mon those were kids(5-10) whose lives have been cut short by some loosed deranged psycho.

not too long ago, a similar incidence happened @ china--22 kids knived down just like that.

*shivers*

this in trend on kids is damn sickening and measures needs to be put in place to protect our kids from these crazy lots.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by vanstanzy(m): 8:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
Compare Obamas' speech and statesmanship to GEJs' speech and statesmanship after the Madala bombing. The difference is definitely clear.
Then again, why am always comparing these two?
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by tpapi: 8:38pm On Dec 15, 2012
Dis happened right in d almighty US,20 children killed by one man despite all d secur,if dis had happened in naija,some monkeys wud av bin telling gej to resign
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by uzoexcel(m): 8:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
sharrappp there...hw many people die daily in ur country of which we dont hear any news of??
Kzinne: and some people are killin themselves for american visa
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by ochukoccna: 9:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
He spoke not just as a President, but as a father.
Hmnn!
1 looks forward to the day Ebele would speak like this
But hey in all probability, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by cerruti(m): 9:11pm On Dec 15, 2012
Life is life, we are all human beings....

1 Like

Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 15, 2012
I think it is rather simplistic to reduce the issue/solution to gun control. Illicit drugs such as weed and cocaine are 'controlled' in the United States, but are still widely and openly accessible/used.

The fact is that anybody that is pissed off/deranged/frustrated/oppressed/dehumanised enough to open fire on other people with guns that he or she acquired legally, can also acquire a gun illegally to accomplish the same purpose. Contrary to what some of you might think (especially those of you that are fond of putting others down), here is a reality check: Killing someone else - even several people at once - is quite easy, particularly if someone is pissed off enough to not care about the consequences of his actions on himself.

Unless you're a governor or president that moves with truckloads of heavily armed guards, then you are an easy target for any random person that is sufficiently pissed off with you or with the world - for whatever reason. If he can't get guns legally, he would get them illegally. If he can't get guns at all, he would find other means. A gallon of fuel and a match-stick can cause greater havoc than a cartridge of bullets. Never underestimate the power of suicidal determination.

I don't pretend to have a solution, but I believe gun control would not be the solution. It's a deep social problem, and it requires a gradual, holistic social solution - probably involving mass reorientaion. People need to empathise more with other people. You never know what others' were on the verge of doing before your empathy and kind word or intervention prevented an impending tragedy.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by otipoju(m): 9:46pm On Dec 15, 2012
I turned off the TV when the news was being aired. Its sad that the killer might have no real evil intention and the purpose of the killing would be to have his name appear on the 7 o'clock news.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by ijebabe: 10:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
We humans are still our own worst enemies. Sad.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 15, 2012
doctokwus:
Don't annoy someone dis evening.U are tryin to compare a pple who are living in a modern,law guiding nation to anoda set of pple who av collectively decided not to leave their cavemen existence and ways of doing things.

Your papa na caveman abi?
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by manny4life(m): 11:33pm On Dec 15, 2012
I use to be a proponent for gun ownership not anymore. After several incidents over the past five years, I think it's time Congress revisits this issue. It's just sad that shootings will continue to claim lives yet, republicans don't wanna budge.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 15, 2012
ayox2003: [size=18pt]Gun control! Gun control!![/size]

Ha! When will they scrap this law?

[size=18pt]Data shows that 12,000 people are killed from shootings every year because of this stupid "arm-urself-mentality" in the US

Meanwhile in Japan, 9 people die every year from shootings because its against the law for any citizen to have a gun.[/size]

See the difference?

From the lunatic who sent people to their early graves at the theatre to this one.

There is no Xanadu or Shangri-la in this world - "freedom" comes with some ills. They should just scrap it.

May their young souls rest in peace.

Frawzey

rednecks won't make it happen. undecided
i wont lie, i have my own but i'd be damned if it's to sh00t anybody unless i am attacked.
and i would have no problem giving it up if the law was to change today!!
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 15, 2012
cerruti: Life is life, we are all human beings, so why is it more tragic when children die in America than in Pakistan? Or Afganistan? Or Iraq? Their names forgotten, their murders listed as collateral damage. Here is the comment for your viewing- "yes today was tragic but I might say that its more tragic that "172 Pakistani children have been killed by US Drone attacks and you don't see Facebook spilling over for them. Its hypocritical will to ignorance, a form of nepotism that disgusts me.".

www.nairaland.com/attachments/917591_ii_jpeg5a390b8db396a626f7a54072b1050b9f

smh...i'm gonna let this one slide this time around.
at the end of the day I am pro-life...I'll leave the politics out of it..this time!
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by mamagee3(f): 11:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
It's a really sad story!!!

May the souls of the deceased rest in perfect peace!!!
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 15, 2012
pro01: I think it is rather simplistic to reduce the issue/solution to gun control. Illicit drugs such as weed and cocaine are 'controlled' in the United States, but are still widely and openly accessible/used.

The fact is that anybody that is pissed off/deranged/frustrated/oppressed/dehumanised enough to open fire on other people with guns that he or she acquired legally, can also acquire a gun illegally to accomplish the same purpose. Contrary to what some of you might think (especially those of you that are fond of putting others down), here is a reality check: Killing someone else - even several people at once - is quite easy, particularly if someone is pissed off enough to not care about the consequences of his actions on himself.

Unless you're a governor or president that moves with truckloads of heavily armed guards, then you are an easy target for any random person that is sufficiently pissed off with you or with the world - for whatever reason. If he can't get guns legally, he would get them illegally. If he can't get guns at all, he would find other means. A gallon of fuel and a match-stick can cause greater havoc than a cartridge of bullets. Never underestimate the power of suicidal determination.

I don't pretend to have a solution, but I believe gun control would not be the solution. It's a deep social problem, and it requires a gradual, holistic social solution - probably involving mass reorientaion. People need to empathise more with other people. You never know what others' were on the verge of doing before your empathy and kind word or intervention prevented an impending tragedy.

of course gun control would not be enough to completely end crime in the united states.
i don't think anyone is implying this, however it will definitely reduce the gun related shootings/killings in this country which has a sh--tload of trigger happy cowards. tongue
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by Nobody: 3:53am On Dec 16, 2012
*Kails*:

of course gun control would not be enough to completely end crime in the united states.
i don't think anyone is implying this, however it will definitely reduce the gun related shootings/killings in this country which has a sh--tload of trigger happy cowards. tongue

Nah, I don't think gun control would necessarily reduce these incessant mass shootings in the US (and in Europe to a lesser degree). The sort of people that do these things would get guns through back-door channels to do what they want to do. Several countries (including Nigeria) prohibit or tightly control gun ownership but it hasn't stopped widespread murders/robberies/terrorism perpetrated with guns acquired one way or the other.
Re: Obama Weeps Over Connecticut Shooting by uneeking(m): 5:26am On Dec 16, 2012
murphylee08: There have been many dramatic and emotional moments at the White House — but few have been as wrenching as this.

President Obama fought to keep his composure and repeatedly wiped away tears as he addressed the nation about the horror inside a Connecticut grade school.

“Our hearts are broken today,” he said.

He spoke not just as a President, but as a father.

“I know there’s not a parent in America who doesn’t feel the same overwhelming grief that I do,” Obama said. “The majority of those who died today were children — beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old.”

They had their entire lives ahead of them – birthdays, graduations, kids of their own,” President Obama said during an emotional press conference about the deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

The President then stopped and remained silent for a full 12 seconds to compose himself.

When he summoned the strength to speak again, he lamented the bright futures that had been abruptly lost.

“They had their entire lives ahead of them — birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own,” he said.

And then he stopped again. And wiped an eye.

The emotional, four-minute address showcased a side of Obama the public has rarely seen. Even some cable TV commentators who are never at a loss for words seemed stunned.

In the days before his November 2008 election, Obama cried while remembering his late grandmother, but his public persona is that of a cool, even detached, leader.

The sudden outpouring recalled another dark hour in the nation’s history — President George W. Bush’s heartbreak in the frantic first days after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Before his address, Obama signed an order directing that flags at federal buildings across the nation and the world be flown at half-staff as tribute to those lost.

Obama spoke about the rampage from a room named after the victim of another high-profile shooting — the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room. Brady was the press secretary who was shot and paralyzed in the 1981 assassination attempt on former President Ronald Reagan.

As Obama fought back tears, two of his aides stood nearby, clutching hands, openly weeping.

The President promised unspecified “meaningful action” in the weeks ahead to prevent yet more shooting tragedies.

But, most immediately, he said he would do what “every parent in America will do, which is hug our children a little tighter and we’ll tell them that we love them.”

The President, the father of two daughters, wiped away another tear, and then added, “But there are families in Connecticut who cannot do that tonight. And they need all of us right now.”
cc:http://www./president-obam…-shootingphoto/ ‎

This is a REAL LEADER shedding tears in public over the death of children in his country. When will we have such leaders in Nigeria? When will we stop the DEALERS claiming to be LEADERS in Nigeria? When people got angry and beat up a Commissioner some days ago in Plateau State, idiots kept condemning them. WHO PUSHED THE PEOPLE TO THE WALL? DO YOU THINK PLATEAU PEOPLE AND NIGERIANS ARE IDIOTS? THAT WAS JUST A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME. SUCH NATURAL HAPPENINGS DO NOT NEED ANY ORGANIZING. THEY WILL SIMPLY HAPPEN AT THE RIGHT TIME. THE NIGER DELTA PEOPLE WERE NEVER A VIOLENT PEOPLE BEFORE THEIR OGBANJE LEADERS PUSHED THEM TO THE WALL! NOW IT IS THE TURN OF PLATEAU STATE AND POSSIBLY THE REST OF THE MIDDLE BELT TO STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Malawi Court Nullifies Presidential Election, Orders New One / Zambia: Police Bars Ex-president Lungu From "Political Jogging" / US Intel Indicates War Between Israel And Hezbollah Inching Closer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.